• Please log in to reply
295 replies to this topic

#41 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:27 AM

Guys, theres no way this is true. First off, the ticket in the picture looks nothing like a ticket from DPS. The only references to DET is where it says Third/Jefferson for the location, which isnt even the right cross roads anyway. (third street is about a 1/4 mile south of the Joe)

Also the part where the cop says Bettman made this decision during intermission to make it illegal. Theres no way this could be enforced simply by Gary making a phone call, and all the cops immediately being on board. Believe it or not, cops have brains and a conscious like we do, and I doubt they would enforce it out of nowhere.

On top of that, I know the kid who threw his octopus during the anthem of Game 1 and I know he didnt get booted from the game, and he was on national TV for gods sake.

Dont give this story any cred until we see this happening more, because im sure there will be more thrown.
Crosby is a crybaby *****

#42 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:27 AM

Are you freaking kidding me? What's next? Taking the wheel off the front of the jersey??

#43 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:43 AM

whoa, just found this from the freep.

http://www.freep.com...dyssey=nav|head

The only source they have is from the deadspin article, but being in the freep there has to be some truth to it.

#44 rlwagens

rlwagens

Draftee

• 4 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:39 AM

The only source they have is from the deadspin article, but being in the freep there has to be some truth to it.

Are you serious?

#45 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:55 AM

Al gets fined everytime he spins the octa and he doesn't give a f***, neither should we.

Al was told he can no longer spin the octapus on the ice, which he no longer does. The second he hits the walkway (which is allowed), he lets loose.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#46 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:56 AM

The original deadspin article has been removed. Possible gag?

EDIT - Nevermind, found it: http://m.deadspin.co...500-and-ejected

George Malik is going to follow up on it with the city and the Wings Org.

Edited by egroen, 15 April 2011 - 08:00 AM.

Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#47 nate94gt

nate94gt

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:04 AM

glad im not the only one that sees the holes in this.

#48 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:09 AM

It's all good, this will change nothing.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#49 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,785 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:25 AM

This is completely understandable in opposition cities, but at the Joe? That's a travesty.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#50 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:31 AM

Are you serious?

ya, i understand that the freep isnt the greatest, but it also isnt the national enquirer. 200 year old newspapers dont just publish random, ridiculous claims.

#51 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,081 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:37 AM

<! -- Start Shameless Plug -- >

All octopus-throwers are hereby declared to wear this before tossing his/her cephalopod on the ice:

Posted Image

"Don't Tread on Me" Octopus Tee

<! -- End Shameless Plug -- >

#52 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,785 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:39 AM

All octopus-throwers are hereby declared to wear this before tossing his/her cephalopod on the ice:

Posted Image

Full of win.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#53 lookalive07

lookalive07

--19--

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:18 AM

Posted Image

Matt, you are af****** saint.

Posted Image

#54 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:18 AM

Posted Image

That is a thing of beauty
IPB Image

#55 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,785 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:21 AM

So let me get this straight - a sacred hockey tradition is canned but players are now allowed to kick the puck at the net without it having even cross the line and it's a good goal?

#56 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:35 AM

I actually noticed something before the game on wednesday. It was posted on the video board and said a few times, that if a fan throws anything on the ice during the game(I assumed this to be octupi) that the home team will be assessed a 2 minute delay of game penalty. I had heard of this before, but never had I seen this said/posted at the joe. I wanna hear the boos the first time a penalty is called for throwing an octupi. Lame.

It always cracks me up when they say they are going to penalize the home team for this, I always thought it would be a good tactic to throw stuff on the ice at every away game the Wings have, just rack up penalties against the home team, basically just free power plays for the Wings when they are on the road. Stupid NHL, how do they know which team's fans threw what ever was thrown.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#57 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:44 AM

The guy who got caught is on the WRIF right now giving his story. He says that "nhl officials" not even cops, arrested him. when the nhl guys told the cops to arrest him, they laughed at him.

what a hilarious story.

#58 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,568 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:50 AM

Posted Image

Very rarely do I see clothing I absolutely have to buy, but this qualifies. Even if throwing the Octopi is not illegal, it's clearly not in favor with the NHL who is trying to outlaw it at every turn, and thus is relevant.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#59 Ozzy318

Ozzy318

Professional bear wrestler

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:04 AM

whoa, just found this from the freep.

http://www.freep.com...dyssey=nav|head

Us Michigan fans disagree...

but yeah, if this is true, then this is completely lame. Bettman is doing his worst trying corporatize the entire league and remove local traditions.

#60 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:15 AM

I guess all the ppl who throw their hats after a hat trick will face the same penalty? I can't see how an Octopus would cause anymore "Bodily harm" then a hat.