• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Winger19

Vancouver Media already playing "wings too old" card

Rate this topic

Didnt seem to hurt them against the Hawks or Preds, or ALL SEASON LONG for that matter (being predicted to take the Presidents trophy).

Presidents Trophy... lol.

Sorry, I love when that curse is brought into an argument. Cracks me up every time.

Edited by Broken 16

Presidents Trophy... lol.

Sorry, I love when that curse is brought into an argument. Cracks me up every time.

The "curse" that says teams that win the presidents trophy are more likely to win the cup than those which don't? :blink:

Edited by henriksedin

The "curse" that says teams that win the presidents trophy are more likely to win the cup than those which don't? :blink:

Ya? And how has that panned out for President Trophy winners in the past twenty years? Since 1990, only five out of 21 teams have won both the Cup and that trophy. Odd math if you somehow see that as making a team "more likely to win".

Ya? And how has that panned out for President Trophy winners in the past twenty years? Since 1990, only five out of 21 teams have won both the Cup and that trophy. Odd math if you somehow see that as making a team "more likely to win".

I hate getting drawn into these types of arguments, but those odds are probably superior to any other seed. Nearly one in four. Don't see how that helps your argument.

Having said that, I don't give a flying f*** about the President's Trophy beyond the fact that it gives you home ice advantage.

Edited by Chairman Maouth

Seriously? That was bad? :huh:

And Calgary and Edmonton media are worse than Vancouver's -- at least when it comes to the Canucks. The rise of the Canucks the last couple of years and the fall of the Oilers and Flames during the same time period has fueled incredible hatred in Alberta.

Yeah, the Flames are just jealous of Vancouver :lol: Having been to some of the games between the two this year, the fans are embarassing. The articles written have been brutal, there was one in the herald the day of Game 7 against Chicago already saying how it was the worst choke job the guy'd ever seen and it hadnt even happened yet. As far as the article, it's not "bad" per se, just super homerish. And having to read the paper in Calgary everyday I know what's bad when it comes to homers :ph34r: (But I cant judge on just one article, Calgary media still stinks more :hehe: )

I hate getting drawn into these types of arguments, but those odds are probably superior to any other seed. Nearly one in four. Don't see how that helps your argument.

Having said that, I don't give a flying f*** about the President's Trophy beyond the fact that it gives you home ice advantage.

The point is, fans of teams that have never won a Cup (or at least haven't won one in a long time) think the trophy is a big deal. We thought it was in 96, but it wasn't. Home ice in the NHL is severely overrated.

Yeah, the Flames are just jealous of Vancouver :lol: Having been to some of the games between the two this year, the fans are embarassing. The articles written have been brutal, there was one in the herald the day of Game 7 against Chicago already saying how it was the worst choke job the guy'd ever seen and it hadnt even happened yet. As far as the article, it's not "bad" per se, just super homerish. And having to read the paper in Calgary everyday I know what's bad when it comes to homers :ph34r: (But I cant judge on just one article, Calgary media still stinks more :hehe: )

They love quoting a ridiculous article that was posted a couple of years ago on Spike TV of all places. It claims Canucks fans are the fifth worst in all of sports. Problem is, it's an opinion and the writer is a Flames fan. But they sure do love that article.

I mean WTF? That great bastion of NHL support that is Spike TV? That's the same network that claims everything is true in its "1,000 ways to die" episodes -- but no woman has ever died when her fake **** blew up on an airplane.

Like someone else said. They're just nervous, so they have to say something like that to reassure themselves.

Who is "they"?

They love quoting a ridiculous article that was posted a couple of years ago on Spike TV of all places. It claims Canucks fans are the fifth worst in all of sports. Problem is, it's an opinion and the writer is a Flames fan. But they sure do love that article.

I mean WTF? That great bastion of NHL support that is Spike TV? That's the same network that claims everything is true in its "1,000 ways to die" episodes -- but no woman has ever died when her fake **** blew up on an airplane.

Worst thing about Flames fans, worse then quoting dumb articles, or statistics, or that Iginla and Kiprusoff shouldnt be traded away because there "only a few pieces away from a Cup run" is that they cannot get over that Marty Gelinas didnt score in Game 6 in 04. I had a phys ed teacher in highschool and whenever I'd wear any Wings gear or talk hockey at all, boom, "Yeah well if not for the NHL screwing us over, the Flames would've won the Cup and Gelinas would've been the hero!" They are all delusional.

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan

Honestly, I thought San Jose would be the toughest team to play against and they're proving that to be the case. They were looking unbeatable in the first few games. IF (and that's a big if mind you) the Wings can pull this off, Vancouver seems to be a step down from them now.

As for the Wings being too old, the rest clearly didn't help them to start this series. But now they are warming up and if (again, a big IF, I'm not trying to anger the hockey gods) the Wings win tomorrow night they might be able to keep it going to steal one in Vancouver.

And Howard being more inconsistent? Like the article says, regular season means nothing. In these playoffs Howard has been night in and night out the most consistent goalie except for maybe Tim Thomas or Rinne (haven't seen much of either but the media loves them).

What was it that Brett Hull said about age and wisdom trumping youth and stupidity? I think I like the odds of our experience and wisdom over their whatever you want to call it.

But you're right...let's get through tomorrow night first.

I'm telling you guys, enjoy your victory over the Sharks in game #7 because the orcas have arrived ;)

http://www.theprovince.com/technology/Local+resident+thrilled+capture+orcas+play+near+Vancouver+Stanley+Park/4766579/story.html

Ya... this part is scary accurate. :)

Like the Canucks, the orcas put on a show, according to Price.

"It looked like they were just goofing around.”

Too old... sigh...

Okay, Vancouver. The numbers, again.

Average age of Wings who played at least 1 game in the regular season: 30.21 as of this second.

Regular season points by players:

Players 25 and under accounted for 8.2% of the point total.

Players 26-30 accounted for 34.55% of that total.

Players 31-35 accounted for 25.28% of the total.

Players 36-40 accounted for 23.31% of the total.

Lidstrom's the only over-40, accounting for 8.7% on his own.

Nice bell curve with a skew to late 20s and 30.

In the playoffs:

Under 25 players account for 6.82%.

26-30 players account for 35.23%

31-35 players account for 27.27%

36-40 players account for 21.59%.

Lidstrom accounts for 9.09%.

Same bell curve, if anything pulled a little further to the younger guys.

Wings, old? Nah.

^^ THIS.

And again: when these so-called OLD players are Hall of Famers ... Cup winners, MULTIPLE TIMES!!!!! ... within an organization and system that maximizes their skill vs. age ..... gimme a break!!!!!!!!!!

It's the same old same old. Year after year. The Wings win - we're old. We lose - we're old. Moving along ..... nothing to see here!!!

As close as we are to the semis, and understanding that we have a BIG test tonight, I am already anticipating a beating of epic proportions against these clowns out in BC. Has anyone else also seen those two asses who jump around near the penalty box wearing all green? Dance, jump around, have a great time, but these two idiots remind me of Sean Avery waving his stick in Martin Brodeurs face with his back turn away from the play. SMFH!

Bring on the Canucks!! And kiss my ass Mr. Bettman.

GO WINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brief biology lesson for you landlubbers about orcas.

There are two different subspecies in BC: transients and residents. Transients feed on mammals like dolphins and seals whereas residents are mainly salmon eaters.

I've seen two amazing events involving transient orcas. The first was in Port Hardy Bay (northern tip of Vancouver Island) when a pod was hunting white-sided dolphins. They herded them into a shallow corner of the bay like a sheepdog herding sheep, except with the orcas it got very bloody after that. I watched from a crew boat - no camera on me.

The second time I was also on a crew boat about 15 minutes out of Port Hardy. A pod of orcas in the distance was acting strangely so we approached. As we got closer we could see that they had isolated a California sea lion bull and were "playing" with it. There were a couple of youngsters in the pod and the adults were teaching the youngsters how to hunt and kill. They were pushing the sea lion around with their noses and batting the poor bastard 20 feet into the air with their tales. And this sea lion weighed probably about 800 pounds. It was amazing to watch. The sea lion would disappear and you'd think it was all over - then he'd reappear gasping for breath and an orca would take another run at him. This went on so long that we actually had to leave because we were running way late for work. Again, no camera onboard.

Sidenote: When this was all going on we were urging the crew boat skipper to get closer but he refused. The reason he gave was that if the sea lion saw us he would try to use our boat for shelter. He said it had happened once before and the sea lion actually tried to crawl up on the transom. He said the orcas surrounded his boat and it got a little "freaky". He also said you've never seen "true panic" until you look into the eyes of a sea lion that's being f***ed with by a dozen transient orcas.

Let's play the... We haven't advanced to the Conference Finals yet card... Yeah, I am killer at parties ;)

But win tonight, we'll talk cards to play for the next few weeks.

I'm fairly convinced we're playing the Wings Hank. In San Jose I just saw a team that folded up shop in game 6. Contrast that with the Canucks dominating the Hawks in their game 6 all the way into overtime but then losing on one of those "WTF" type of goals. The Sharks are ripe for the picking tonight. They're broken and beaten. Their butt-holes are going to be tighter than a snare drum tonight. Get it done.

I'm fairly convinced we're playing the Wings Hank. In San Jose I just saw a team that folded up shop in game 6. Contrast that with the Canucks dominating the Hawks in their game 6 all the way into overtime but then losing on one of those "WTF" type of goals. The Sharks are ripe for the picking tonight. They're broken and beaten. Get it done.

Shall be looking forward to it, my friend. Always a pleasure chatting it up with a knowledgeable, "behind enemy lines" fan such as yourself. Let's hope we do get it done.

I just like how you guys are getting worked up about an article written by a "journalist" with a HOTMAIL EMAIL ACCOUNT :lol:

Well not to give the guy too much credit, but everyone should use a throwaway hotmail account for any and all interactions that are sure to get you a ton of crappy, spammy emails... which based on quality of that article, it was correctly used.

Shall be looking forward to it, my friend. Always a pleasure chatting it up with a knowledgeable, "behind enemy lines" fan such as yourself. Let's hope we do get it done.

The Chicago demon is dead for now. I'm hoping next up we take on the the ghost of Lidstrom/Cloutier. :colorspin: