• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#41 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,885 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:58 PM

I was going to mention that Ericsson is a good player for his position as a bottom defensman and salary, but Matt just reinstated the negative thread voting system and I like where my rep is at.

#42 Save The Octopus

Save The Octopus

Rookie

• Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:55 PM

With as much as Ericsson loves to pinch they should put him on the 3rd or 4th line and stick him in front of the net. At least this way he would be utilizing his size more often.

#43 Cali-Wing-Nut

Cali-Wing-Nut

Guppie Hunter

• PipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 02:11 AM

Although a few on this forum probably wish Id do what I said Id do earlier but I will seriously consider Draino down the gullet to watching Road Block, Traffic cone, Pileon aka a pathetic excuse for a D Man sport a Wings uni again.

Ericssucks and Sakei need a plane ticket to NOT IN HOCKEYTOWN,

Raffy aint that bad, he just needs someone to help him out on the blue line.

Heres to rebuilding our defensive lines in there entirety, unless it doesnt include Nick although Im not good at holdin gmy breath.
I'M WRECKING SHOP!!!

#44 stallion

stallion

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:10 AM

Although a few on this forum probably wish Id do what I said Id do earlier but I will seriously consider Draino down the gullet to watching Road Block, Traffic cone, Pileon aka a pathetic excuse for a D Man sport a Wings uni again.

Ericssucks and Sakei need a plane ticket to NOT IN HOCKEYTOWN,

Raffy aint that bad, he just needs someone to help him out on the blue line.

Heres to rebuilding our defensive lines in there entirety, unless it doesnt include Nick although Im not good at holdin gmy breath.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you're drunk and hence have an overinflated sense of your comedic talents (spoiler: not funny).

Our top four D-men are solid. If you'd asked me a few days ago I would have said get rid of Salei and E, but I think Ericsson could use a little more time to get comfortable with playing D. Once that happens, there's a good chance we'll see more physicality out of him. Salei can go. Rafalski is killing us with that contract, but when he wants to be effective he generally can, so it's not the end of the world.

In summary: Not funny. Salei gone, Ericsson as #6, sign someone to play be #5.

Edited by stallion, 14 May 2011 - 09:11 AM.

#45 Cali-Wing-Nut

Cali-Wing-Nut

Guppie Hunter

• PipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:19 PM

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you're drunk and hence have an overinflated sense of your comedic talents (spoiler: not funny).

Our top four D-men are solid. If you'd asked me a few days ago I would have said get rid of Salei and E, but I think Ericsson could use a little more time to get comfortable with playing D. Once that happens, there's a good chance we'll see more physicality out of him. Salei can go. Rafalski is killing us with that contract, but when he wants to be effective he generally can, so it's not the end of the world.

In summary: Not funny. Salei gone, Ericsson as #6, sign someone to play be #5.

Not trying to be funny I despise #52, He scored 1 time in the playoffs and was completely worthless in the regular season. He is a traffic hazard. Hes best at watching not playing and heaven forbid he does anything close to sacrificial like blocking a shot.

Hes soft on the boards, his lack of movement ends up setting picks on our own guys or screens Howie. He has cost us numerous games. Oh and how bout those blind drop passes he loves to do for a chasing forward FROM THE OTHER TEAM ?!?!?!

Hes had enough time to get comfortable and thank god hes a UFA.
I'M WRECKING SHOP!!!

#46 Krayzie_Bone

Krayzie_Bone

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:50 PM

Was it just me of did 80% of the time Erickson had the puck did he almost turn it over?

#47 Cali-Wing-Nut

Cali-Wing-Nut

Guppie Hunter

• PipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 03:03 PM

Was it just me of did 80% of the time Erickson had the puck did he almost turn it over?

Well Ericsson led our defense with 70 giveaways through the full season and led the team with 14 in 11 games of the playoffs. He had 1 more blocked shot than KINDL at 37 for the whole regular season with almost double the amount of games played as Jakob.

How bout hits? Hes our biggest D man and had the least hits of any of our bangers.

Numbers dont lie 15 points NOT goals, POINTS in 74 games from a guy that averages 18+ minutes a game is horrid. The fact he doesnt help with anything else sticks a fork in it. Some teams have a D man that cant shoot but does other things well. Truthfully, WHAT DOES ERICSSON DO WELL????

Answer is nothing.
I'M WRECKING SHOP!!!

#48 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 03:35 PM

Answer is nothing.

The giveaway and hits stat is... quite sad.

The points stat isn't. He was supposed to be the defensive defenseman on the Jonny-Rafi pairing.

#49 Theophany

Theophany

Mr. Norris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 03:53 PM

This guy is not the problem. The problem is the 35+ year olds that are SLOW, SOFT, and DON'T PRODUCE enough.

Holmstrom
Bertuzzi
Draper
Rafalski
Osgood
Ken Holland

These guys are the problem. The line-up should look like this going into next season:

Helm-Datsyuk-Cleary
Mursak-Zetterberg-Franzen
Hudler-Filppula-Abdelkader
Eaves-Miller-Ericsson

Emmerton-Tatar

Lidstrom-Stuart
Kronwall-Kindl
Salei-Pyett

Lashoff

Howard
McCollum

But we're going to get more of the same. Don't get your hopes up for anything special in 2011-2012 playoffs.

So you like winning 30 games a year? Because that's about how many you'd win with that lineup.

YOU HAVE HELM ON THE FIRST LINE WING.

Please for the love of god stay away from anything that's anywhere close to coaching or being a GM. You'd be absolutely terrible at it.

#50 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 04:04 PM

YOU HAVE HELM ON THE FIRST LINE WING.

That's one of the few drawbacks to fan favorite players with cult hero status for the fans.

#51 Cali-Wing-Nut

Cali-Wing-Nut

Guppie Hunter

• PipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 04:30 PM

The points stat isn't. He was supposed to be the defensive defenseman on the Jonny-Rafi pairing.

Well he blew that. Thing is everything I always read/heard about what they were hoping from him was a big body Dman with the hands of a Forward since thats what he tried to be and failed doing.

The rationale was that Johnny Turnover would be Nicky with Krons hitting abilty. sadly I cant find the link I had posted on a different forum where he actually stepped out of the way of a puck being shot which screened Howie and led to a goal. Cant remember the team, wanna say the Stars, the Blues or Blue Jackets.

People that have seen him play in person have a whole new level of disdain for him. TV tends to stay with the puck so you cant see what he is doing on the ice but it takes bad play to a whole new level.

My point with this is that he has been given a chance. Even if you give him the benefit of the doubt that hes new to the position, how long do you let someone screw things up before moving on? If Detroit wants a half assed D man that is 6'6 220, they can hire me. Ill play for league minimum and would probably show more heart and try than him. Hope he goes to the minors, no team deserves what he brings.
I'M WRECKING SHOP!!!

#52 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 04:47 PM

My point with this is that he has been given a chance. Even if you give him the benefit of the doubt that hes new to the position, how long do you let someone screw things up before moving on? If Detroit wants a half assed D man that is 6'6 220, they can hire me. Ill play for league minimum and would probably show more heart and try than him. Hope he goes to the minors, no team deserves what he brings.

Well sure. And I'm not exactly sure if I'm in favor of bringing back Ericsson or anything like that but when I bear in mind the history and perspective of the Wings management then I sense that they'll immediately look to cases such as Fischer, Kronwall, etc. who struggled at first but eventually grew into solid contributors. They let them screw up quite a bit at first you know?

#53 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,909 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 05:22 PM

Well he blew that. Thing is everything I always read/heard about what they were hoping from him was a big body Dman with the hands of a Forward since thats what he tried to be and failed doing.

The rationale was that Johnny Turnover would be Nicky with Krons hitting abilty. sadly I cant find the link I had posted on a different forum where he actually stepped out of the way of a puck being shot which screened Howie and led to a goal. Cant remember the team, wanna say the Stars, the Blues or Blue Jackets.

People that have seen him play in person have a whole new level of disdain for him. TV tends to stay with the puck so you cant see what he is doing on the ice but it takes bad play to a whole new level.

Who's rationale was that?? He was drafted dead last and is a converted forward just finishing his second full season in the NHL.

As I said, he's a serviceable bottom pairing guy. If the Wings can find someone better and cheaper, great. But it's not as easy as people think. It's ridiculous how much hate he gets here as the #5 D-man. There were much bigger issues with the team.

#54 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,909 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 05:28 PM

Ericsson still isn't as physical as I'd like, but if we're going to quote hits stat, let's take a more complete look.

Ericsson had 107 hits in 74 regular season games, averaging less than 19 min TOI.
Kronwall had 113 hits in 3 more games, averaging almost 4 more minutes per game.
Salei had 117 and Stuart led the Wings with 131.
Lids and Raf both had 49.

In the postseason he was second to Kronwall with 23 hits (Kronner had 26).

And honestly hits is a pretty suspect stat anyway. Like I said Ericsson needs to play more physical, but using that stat as some negative of his is just looking for things to rip on him about. Because given his ice time, those numbers actually make him look more aggressive than he is.

#55 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 05:42 PM

Maybe part of the problem is coaching, because Ericsson gets consistently burned whenever he tries to pinch and is frequently wandering around in the attacking zone in places he has no business being. He should be playing defensively, making the easy play, playing within his talent level instead of trying to be Lidstrom.

Also, he's a gigantic wuss. If he would just use his size more, chip pucks off the glass and hang back in the O-zone that would make me happy. He does none of these things and it makes me unhappy. Anyways, he said this:

"First priority," [Ericsson] said of negotiating a new deal. "I really like it here. I like everything about this team, this organization. I would love to stay here. I'm not worried at all what's going to happen. I really like it here.''

"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#56 Cali-Wing-Nut

Cali-Wing-Nut

Guppie Hunter

• PipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:31 PM

Ericsson still isn't as physical as I'd like, but if we're going to quote hits stat, let's take a more complete look.

Ericsson had 107 hits in 74 regular season games, averaging less than 19 min TOI.
Kronwall had 113 hits in 3 more games, averaging almost 4 more minutes per game.
Salei had 117 and Stuart led the Wings with 131.
Lids and Raf both had 49.

In the postseason he was second to Kronwall with 23 hits (Kronner had 26).

And honestly hits is a pretty suspect stat anyway. Like I said Ericsson needs to play more physical, but using that stat as some negative of his is just looking for things to rip on him about. Because given his ice time, those numbers actually make him look more aggressive than he is.

For his size he should easily be leading that category, should he not? Helmer hits more effectively and is quite a bit smaller, Hell D hits harder than Ericsson.

Turnovers are way more telling and the breakpoint for a Defenseman. Unfortunatley there is no live stats for time holding the puck. At that point you can determine how effective a player is at holding on to it while its in his possesion. Youre going to expect players that have the puck a lot such as D and Z to have more turnovers on average. D-men dont have the puck as much so they shouldnt be turning it over.

Look at Rafalski, he has 1 more turnover than Ericsson in the regular sesason but has over 30 points MORE while playing 11 games LESS.

So for people to somehow say that Raffy is no good need to get their head examined. He trails only Nick in points for Dmen.

We can breakdown box scores and stats all day and I still dont see any compelling proof that he has what it takes for our team. We have the opportunity to bring in some known good talent to bolster our D and he should be first to go

Kron has established himself as a banger and de is one of the best in the league.

Jiri Fischer was a banger and unfortunately was probably sick more than he wasnt

I dont expect points from Kron, I expect him to destroy people.

Ericsson was brought up to be somewhat like Pronger, a big guy that should be able to establish position with his body and be able to shoot due to being trained as a forward. He cant do either, hell he cant bring a puck up ice for christ sake.

If we kept him hed be best as a scratch player coming in for injured players. Bottom pairing with 82 games is too much for such a crap ass player.

I wish I could see optimism in him as some here do but I see a lemon, no more and no less.
I'M WRECKING SHOP!!!

#57 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:48 PM

what happened to him having that monster shot?
Posted Image

#58 sandyeggo wingnut

sandyeggo wingnut

Rookie

• Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:07 PM

I think everyone expects very single d-man on the red wings to produce points like lidstrom does.

I'm only 6' 3" and can't skate but I played rugby and can hit and take a hit like Kronner..sign me up too lmao

(edit digression aren't both kronwall's and ericsson's brothers playin for gold?)

Edited by sandyeggo wingnut, 14 May 2011 - 09:13 PM.

#59 Cali-Wing-Nut

Cali-Wing-Nut

Guppie Hunter

• PipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:32 AM

Who's rationale was that?? He was drafted dead last and is a converted forward just finishing his second full season in the NHL.

As I said, he's a serviceable bottom pairing guy. If the Wings can find someone better and cheaper, great. But it's not as easy as people think. It's ridiculous how much hate he gets here as the #5 D-man. There were much bigger issues with the team.

Firstly, that was how he was touted to the fans. Big Rig, Big E... "forward turned big man on the ice"
-Hows that working?

"He was drafted dead last"
-Kinda proves my point

"Hes a servicable bottom pairing guy"
-Please define "servicable" cause putting somethin g into service and having it work well are two different things. He brings no upsides and as of yet I have heard none of them other than what seems to be emotional needs for him to play well.

"If the Wings can find someone better and cheaper, Great"
- You have my verdict on how good he is. For equivalent money I could find some decent talent that needs a bit of polishing and has grown up a Dman. Ericsson is 27 almost 28, he is getting past his prime quick and has shown nothing to prove hes good. For 2 mil a year there would be a line of guys available for the job that could be 4th man maybe 3rd.

" It's ridiculous how much hate he gets here as the #5 D-man. There were much bigger issues with the team."
-Short memory eh? We and everyone else knew that our D was falling apart a few years ago. We needed up and coming Dmen to learn to take over for our aging guys. Now that we are at the point where we need capable guys to fill vacating spots its far from rediculous to be upset with who was supposed to be an up and comer.

The way I see it, if we needed a guy that needed time to grow he would be on the Griffins.

So tell me, what makes Ericsson so good?
I'M WRECKING SHOP!!!

#60 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,909 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:41 PM

Firstly, that was how he was touted to the fans. Big Rig, Big E... "forward turned big man on the ice"
-Hows that working?

"He was drafted dead last"
-Kinda proves my point

By who? Who said that he would be the next Lidstrom who hits like Kronwall? I never heard anyone say anything even close to that about him. Babcock called him a stud in one quote, but that's about it. Even in Grand Rapids they were saying he needed to bulk up and play with a mean streak. Eeven among his supporters I don't remember anyone here ever saying he'd be a Lidstrom with Kronner's hitting. Actually, anyone comparing any d-man on the Wings to Lids AND Kronner would get laughed at, for starters.

I couldn't find the Red Wings prospect review, but on hockeys future they said he could develop into a #4-6 D-man, which still sounds about right.

http://www.hockeysfu...nathan_ericsson

Exactly what point of yours does his being drafted last prove? My point was it should give some indication of expectations for him, or how the fact he's in the lineup at all is a win for the Wings.

"Hes a servicable bottom pairing guy"
-Please define "servicable" cause putting somethin g into service and having it work well are two different things. He brings no upsides and as of yet I have heard none of them other than what seems to be emotional needs for him to play well.

"If the Wings can find someone better and cheaper, Great"
- You have my verdict on how good he is. For equivalent money I could find some decent talent that needs a bit of polishing and has grown up a Dman. Ericsson is 27 almost 28, he is getting past his prime quick and has shown nothing to prove hes good. For 2 mil a year there would be a line of guys available for the job that could be 4th man maybe 3rd.

" It's ridiculous how much hate he gets here as the #5 D-man. There were much bigger issues with the team."
-Short memory eh? We and everyone else knew that our D was falling apart a few years ago. We needed up and coming Dmen to learn to take over for our aging guys. Now that we are at the point where we need capable guys to fill vacating spots its far from rediculous to be upset with who was supposed to be an up and comer.

The way I see it, if we needed a guy that needed time to grow he would be on the Griffins.

So tell me, what makes Ericsson so good?

Emotional needs for him to play well? I'm not sure what you're referring to. You seem to be the one who has a lot more emotions involved when it comes to Ericsson.

I have talked about Ericsson's upsides in several posts. His biggest asset to the team is probably his puck moving ability. Ericsson has a very good first pass. Better than Stuart and Salei. It leads to some brutal turnovers because he doesn't seem to have it between the ears yet. But it's his second full season. I'm guessing Detroit is hoping his decision making will continue to improve and there will inevitably be growing pains as he tries to stretch his role on the team.

His size is also an asset. He's not as physical as he should be, but the Wings blueline is undersized and he provides some. He'd be a greater asset if he played nastier. And to be clear, I'm not saying Ericsson is some awesome defenseman. But he's big, somewhat physical, will drop the gloves on occasion, good passer, cheap, relatively young, and could still improve. Put that all together and he's a decent bottom pairing guy.

And now you're saying $2 mill to replace him. If we're talking about re-signing E for that, then that does add to potential other D-men out there. I was saying around 1.25 mill.

No short memory here. Again, you seem to be angry because Ericsson didn't turn out to be a savior for the Wings defensive corps. I don't think anyone realistically thought he would be that. Everything I saw he was projected to be a #4-6 d'man. If he turns out to be that, it's a win for the Wings. And either way I don't see why Ericsson should take all the blame for not replacing the Wings aging defensive corps. Isn't that Holland's job?

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 15 May 2011 - 04:54 PM.