• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 WingsFANstuckintheSOUTH

WingsFANstuckintheSOUTH

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:11 PM

I haven't read his name once this off-season and that is a big surprise.

Obviously Stuart has 1 year left on his deal but the fact that his family never made the move to Detroit means he was giving himself a 4 year window (his contract) to try to win the cup with the wings. It's quite obvious he plans on going back to LA, ANA, or SJ in 2012 offseason. I wouldn't be shocked if Holland has had conversations with Stuart about his future plans and seeing if he would like to return to the west coast a year early. It would benefit Stuart and the Red Wings to make the deal this summer.

#2 MGreenberg

MGreenberg

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:21 PM

I wouldn't really mind seeing him go as I think that there are better defensemen out there for just as much as he is making now or a little bit more.

#3 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:33 PM

Brilliant idea. Then next seasons defensive pairings would be:

Kronwall-Kindl
Kronwall-Kindl
Kronwall-Kindl

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#4 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:36 PM

Obviously Stuart has 1 year left on his deal but the fact that his family never made the move to Detroit means he was giving himself a 4 year window (his contract) to try to win the cup with the wings. It's quite obvious he plans on going back to LA, ANA, or SJ in 2012 offseason. I wouldn't be shocked if Holland has had conversations with Stuart about his future plans and seeing if he would like to return to the west coast a year early. It would benefit Stuart and the Red Wings to make the deal this summer.

HUH? He already won the cup with the Wings and then re-signed. That makes no sence.

Posted Image

#5 Rice

Rice

Hank.

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 5,957 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:43 PM

http://www.latimes.c...0,2277761.story

Pro hockey player Brad Stuart and his wife, Melissa, have sold their Manhattan Beach home for $2.1 million, the Multiple Listing Service shows.

Yep. Obviously he's going back to LA.

:rolleyes:
In a 2005 study published by the journal Nature, researchers at Durham University in England concluded that, across a range of sports, we found that wearing red is consistently associated with a higher probability of winning. The researchers also suggested that red's effect may subconsciously intimidate opponents in athletic contests, especially when the athletes are equal in skill and strength.

#6 redwingcapt

redwingcapt

redwingcapt

• PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:50 PM

makes sense, since he is a top 2 penalty killer and just a solid defenseman. he moves the puck well and is great in the corners and in front of the net... plus our only canadian defenseman... Babcock loves him too. thats just a horrible statement. Holland said he wants to reload our d-unit, not tear it down and rebuild it..?

thanks you! re-up him for three more years please and thank you!
To whom much is given, much is expected

#7 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:59 PM

Is this some vague, veiled, proposal to acquire Doughty? If so, shame on you.

If not, you might gain some credibility if you actually proposed some kind of return for Stu.

#8 diehardredwing19

diehardredwing19

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:09 PM

lets get one thing straight stuarts not going anywhere.. hes gonnna be a Redwing for the rest of his career.. if he wanted he could of left in the summer of 08' after the cup win! as in hey i just won a cup now great and back to the west coast i go... also not only did he sign a 4 yr deal not 1 yr but 4 yr.. if it was a family thing he would of been gone in 08... his house just got sold in LA also so thats enough said.. dont be surprised if stuart and kronwall get locked up sometime during november to febuaryish..

#9 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:18 PM

That's an expensive house.

#10 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:18 PM

The reason he wanted an NTC on his contract was so he could hopefully settle down somewhere with his family and play hockey in one place, after having bounced around a bit. I think he sticks with Detroit as long as they want him.

Otherwise, he's a defensively sound 2nd pairing d-man with a decent amount of grit and a solid amount of streaky offense. He's paid just about right. Nothing much to discuss beyond that.... fills a role really well for us.
If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.

#11 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:27 PM

FAIL
Posted Image

#12 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:34 PM

If the Wings make the right tweeks this year and STAY HEALTHY(!!!!) they could be making another trip to the finals WITH Stuart on this team. It's no secret that once a player comes here, more times than not, they finish their career here. Once Lids retires and if they can remain a playoff team, there is no reason why Stuart will not re-sign his final contract here. Not many teams can start training camp with a realistic chance of competing for the Stanley Cup EVERY season. Detroit is one of those teams... can LA say it? Anaheim? Sure they can have realistic goals of making the playoffs, BUT, do they really stack up against a healthy Detroit/Vancouver and San Jose if they could rid themselves of some dead weight... I am sure if Stuart felt that it was time to give way to the next era, he would move on, but like someone mentioned above, as long as he wants to be here, Detroit will keep him. The feeling is likewise I am sure. Stuart will retire a Detroit Red Wing... Besides, there is no reason not to expect, when Nick retires, Brad Stuart won't be the #2 guy behind Kronwall...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#13 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,884 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:35 PM

I hope Stuart wears a Wings' uniform until his career ends. He's strong in the corners, blocks shots at every opportunity, and plays smarter hockey than a lot of folks like to give him credit for. Frankly, despite their contracts nearing their end, I see him and Kronner as the only secure pieces of our defensive future at the moment.

#14 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:40 PM

just a question for you, just how many Detroit Red Wings players do you think live in Southeast Michigan in the off season? Sure, a good portion of them do, but there are some that don't. Just because someone doesn't uproot his family, doesn't mean he won't be a Red Wing for a long time...

I hope Stuart wears a Wings' uniform until his career ends. He's strong in the corners, blocks shots at every opportunity, and plays smarter hockey than a lot of folks like to give him credit for. Frankly, despite their contracts nearing their end, I see him and Kronner as the only secure pieces of our defensive future at the moment.

Exactly what I was referring to, there will be day in Detroit when Kronwall/Stuart are the top paring on the blueline. Even if Lidstrom keeps coming back for more and more, his minutes will dwindle (ala Chelios) and Kronwall/Stuart will increase...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#15 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:51 PM

Stuart is a core player on this team and is not going anywhere. He will be signed to another contract extension around the same time Kronwall will be.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#16 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 29 May 2011 - 10:42 PM

Posted Image

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#17 Copenhagen848

Copenhagen848

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:41 AM

I remember a significantly noticeable difference when he was out for a while with his busted jaw. Stuart is one of the most consistent and dependable Wings. I hope he's a lifer, he's one of my favs on the tram.

#18 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:58 AM

I'm fine with the Wings with or without Stuart. The Wings are a better team with him, but I wouldn't shed a tear if this was his last contract with the Wings. Obviously depending on how much Kindl and Smith progress next season, Stuart's value to the team (and me to an extent) is sure to fluctuate.

I do acknowledge that he may be under-rated on this board 9especially by me), but he's one guy I've never been emotionally attached to for some reason or another?

Edited by Konnan511, 30 May 2011 - 01:06 AM.

The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#19 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:12 AM

Neither Kindl nor Smith bring Stuart's size or physical presence. I think he's more important than we all generally realize.

#20 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:18 AM

Stuart is one of the most consistent players on this team. Above average in every aspect of the game he always gives his 100%. We need more players like him on our blue line.
Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah