• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Majsheppard

No, No, NO! Jagr interested in Detroit.

Rate this topic

If they're going to acquire a 39-40 year old I would rather they get a guy who hasn't won a cup before and is truly desperate for one.

i agree. i don't want another modano who floats on the ice every single shift

but if they can sign him to a 1 year incentive laden contract, i would be all for it

Edited by chances14

I would much rather have someone like Jussi Jokinen. But thats just my opinion. He has hit 30 goals before and hes only 28, i think i line with him datsyuk and filppula could be pretty awesome. He would also help this team with shootout wins.

I would much rather have someone like Jussi Jokinen. But thats just my opinion. He has hit 30 goals before and hes only 28, i think i line with him datsyuk and filppula could be pretty awesome. He would also help this team with shootout wins.

I'd rather have Crosby or Ovechkin, but if we're going to be realistic, Jagr is an asset free player who could be signed to an extremely reasonable price who could contribute nicely.

jokinen is asset free too. and we can keep him for a while if it works out.

Asset free, yes, but there are going to be teams that are going to be throwing out 4mil+ for him. If the Wings could get him for 3mil or less, then I'd take him in a heartbeat for the sole reason we'd stop losing shootouts.

Am I the only one not interested in Jokinen?

I mean, the guy is a shootout beast and everything, but he seems to have regressed since his breakout year in Carolina.

ya, i was just using that as the example. im not interested either. id rather have zherdev. but even still, i don't really want him much.

It just feels like there is better use of our money, but then again who knows.

I just think that the cap will keep going up, so I feel we should sign some big names for long term contracts. Saving money in the long run like we did with Pavel.

One year contracts on old players doesn't seem smart.

Guest CaliWingsNut

It just feels like there is better use of our money, but then again who knows.

I just think that the cap will keep going up, so I feel we should sign some big names for long term contracts. Saving money in the long run like we did with Pavel.

One year contracts on old players doesn't seem smart.

Use of long term contracts are a good thing in the cap world. That said, it's not smart to sign long term contracts just because they good under the cap. Signing 1 year contracts (as holland has been doing consistently in some form) allows free space each year. It gives greater flexibility from year to year. A greater ability to add new long term contracts, should the right situation appear. It also allows flexibility to downsize easily should the NHL have a down year.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

@Real_ESPNLeBrun Pierre LeBrun

On the Jagr front: am told Detroit and Pittsburgh in the mix plus a few other teams but Habs according to source ``not so much anymore.''

Really? Pittsburgh? Shero has said numerous times that he hasn't talked to Jagr or his agent, yet it still keeps getting reported that Pittsburgh is a possible destination. Weird. I'd be surprised if he came back to Pittsburgh though. The fans haven't forgotten the "dying alive" comment and booed him every time he touched the puck. Plus, they're probably still stinging from Alexei Kovalev 2.0

I think he could produce 15-20 goals MAYBE. We don't need any "MAYBE'S" though. Sign Carter or Richards and ill be happy.

Jagr will score 20 goals barring any injuries. Carter can only be acquired through a trade and Philly won't give him away. Richards would be a nice sign, but I think with the cap going up his price just went up and probably too high for the Wings especially when they have needs on defense. Jagr at $3 mil for one year is sensible.

Jagr will score 20 goals barring any injuries. Carter can only be acquired through a trade and Philly won't give him away. Richards would be a nice sign, but I think with the cap going up his price just went up and probably too high for the Wings especially when they have needs on defense. Jagr at $3 mil for one year is sensible.

If we're saying $3 million for Jagr, why not pay that same amount to someone like Cole? Pair him with Z or Dats and you'd have 30 goals + (if he stays healthy). Even beyond that, we may be able to take a chance on Gagne, depending on how much he'd take... he may be looking at a decrease in salary due to injury woes and a decrease in production with TB.

If we're saying $3 million for Jagr, why not pay that same amount to someone like Cole? Pair him with Z or Dats and you'd have 30 goals + (if he stays healthy). Even beyond that, we may be able to take a chance on Gagne, depending on how much he'd take... he may be looking at a decrease in salary due to injury woes and a decrease in production with TB.

I don't like acquiring Cole, unless we're losing Bertuzzi or Holmstrom. I don't really see him as being better than those guys. Cole is a power forward, who's on the wrong side of 30 and he's gotten pretty banged up the last few seasons. Jagr on the other hand is a good puck possession type forward that shoots a lot and I think would be a better fit on the top line with Datsyuk or Zetterberg. I like Gagne too, but unless someone overpays for him (with his injury I doubt that'll happen), I think he'll go back to TB.

Guest Hatethedrake!

The thing with Cole is that he has only played well in Carolina. He didn't do much in Edmonton at all. He gets to play with Eric Staal in Carolina. Maybe he would do well with Datsyuk and/or Zetterberg. Depends on the price I suppose. Having Bert and Homer in the top 6 hurts us IMO.

The thing with Cole is that he has only played well in Carolina. He didn't do much in Edmonton at all. He gets to play with Eric Staal in Carolina. Maybe he would do well with Datsyuk and/or Zetterberg. Depends on the price I suppose. Having Bert and Homer in the top 6 hurts us IMO.

Uh, how does Bert do any harm in the top-6? 5th among forwards in points, third in points, sixth in goals. That's a top-6 forward almost by definition. Less than 1 penalty minute per game average, sixth in shots, ninth in shot percentage, two of the higher being Tatar and Emmerton who played less than 10 games each.

Homer you can debate, but I don't see it for Bertuzzi. Cheap sub-2M contract, consistent half a point per game played.

When has Erik Cole ever lived up to any of his expectations? Never. Jagr please and thank you.

When has Erik Cole ever lived up to any of his expectations? Never. Jagr please and thank you.

When has Erik Cole ever played for a consistently good team? Never.

Not saying no to Jagr or Cole, but a 32 year old Cole might be more beneficial than a 39 year old Jagr who hasn't played in the NHL in 3 seasons. No one truly knows what you may get and he may command just as much as someone who is currently more defined in this league.

Uh, how does Bert do any harm in the top-6? 5th among forwards in points, third in points, sixth in goals. That's a top-6 forward almost by definition. Less than 1 penalty minute per game average, sixth in shots, ninth in shot percentage, two of the higher being Tatar and Emmerton who played less than 10 games each.

Homer you can debate, but I don't see it for Bertuzzi. Cheap sub-2M contract, consistent half a point per game played.

That whole goes long stretches without being noticed and if he is noticed it is for the wrong reasons thing. Turnover galore when he isn't on his game which is often and after a decent start playing defense he stopped. Bert should be a 3rd liner and stay at on the 3rd line.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Uh, Bert will go stretches where he gets on a roll and scores 5 goals in 10 games and then none for 20 games. Some games you don't even notice him at all. Other games he looks like one of the best players on the team. We need more consistency in our top 6, We need more production from our wingers with Hank and Dats setting them up with all the great scoring chances they get.

More I think about it, the more I am in favor as long as Hudler is dealt away. Not many teams can boast Datsyuk-Jagr, Zetterberg-Franzen as there top 2 lines (that much talent... the LW can interchange between whoever) Then again I wont be heartbroken if he chooses to go somewhere else, kind of a Nabakov type thing for me. (Dont you screw this one up though Garth Snow :ph34r: )

Guest CaliWingsNut

Uh, Bert will go stretches where he gets on a roll and scores 5 goals in 10 games and then none for 20 games. Some games you don't even notice him at all. Other games he looks like one of the best players on the team. We need more consistency in our top 6, We need more production from our wingers with Hank and Dats setting them up with all the great scoring chances they get.

You notice him most games because of his offensive zone penalties.