• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#41 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:51 PM

I love both these players and hate to see them go, two more players from the amazing wings teams of the late 90s/early 00s are gone.. but if Holland think its better for them to not be retained next season and to explore other options in their place, its his decision.

Thank you Ozzie and Drapes for your years of service to the team, to the city and to the fans!

Edited by Shaman464, 16 June 2011 - 01:51 PM.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#42 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:09 PM

This choice would be easier for Ozzy if he'd hit 400 wins last season. Right now I feel like hitting 400 is a small part of what's motivating him to come back for another year.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#43 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:14 PM

This choice would be easier for Ozzy if he'd hit 400 wins last season. Right now I feel like hitting 400 is a small part of what's motivating him to come back for another year.

He did hit 400 last season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRvEqV4dopQ

Edited by Doc Holliday, 16 June 2011 - 02:15 PM.

Posted Image

#44 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:15 PM

You're better than this!

As already touched on, he already hit it...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#45 OhioWing

OhioWing

Jr. Prospect

• 16 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:32 PM

I would like to see Ozzie at least given a chance to make the team through the training camp and preseason. Sit down with Kenny and work out a contract for league minimum that has contingencies on making the team or some other performance metrics and set it up on the cheap. If he he still has it in the tank to go and doesn't retire, then incentives in the contract could give him a bump from league minimum.

He hasn't been his historical self the last couple of years, but with his groin torn up like it was he couldn't possibly be.

After the repairs, he should at least get a shot to show what he can do healthy. If he doesn't have it left, then give him a job in the minors coaching goalies and see if he can take on that position for the Wings long term.

You don't spend a bunch of money to repair the engine and body on your old car to then send it off to the junk yard to be crushed.

#46 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:42 PM

I would like to see Ozzie at least given a chance to make the team through the training camp and preseason. Sit down with Kenny and work out a contract for league minimum that has contingencies on making the team or some other performance metrics and set it up on the cheap. If he he still has it in the tank to go and doesn't retire, then incentives in the contract could give him a bump from league minimum.

He hasn't been his historical self the last couple of years, but with his groin torn up like it was he couldn't possibly be.

After the repairs, he should at least get a shot to show what he can do healthy. If he doesn't have it left, then give him a job in the minors coaching goalies and see if he can take on that position for the Wings long term.

You don't spend a bunch of money to repair the engine and body on your old car to then send it off to the junk yard to be crushed.

That's too much of a gamble, because they need to sign a solid backup BEFORE camp and before only scraps are left and what if Osgood DOES make the team our of camp, roll 3 goalies?! That makes no sense... also, groin injuries are no joke, ESPECIALLY for goalies...

just face the facts, it's time for him to hang them up... it's sad, but it's time and it's part of the game...

Also, you don't just give him Bedard's job, Bedard has done a great job with our goalies and doesn't deserve or need to be replaced... he could maybe work in some other capacity and eventually work his way into that role if Bedard moves on, but I honestly see Ozzie doing broadcasting more than anything...

Edited by stevkrause, 16 June 2011 - 02:44 PM.

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#47 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:14 PM

Oh my, a grand total of -83 for stinky fish taco in this thread alone...

As much as I am glad the Wings may not sign them, I am ever so grateful for the things they did for this team and city while they were part of this team! Thanks for the great times guys!

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#48 WingZNut13

WingZNut13

2nd Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:29 PM

Oh my, a grand total of -83 for stinky fish taco in this thread alone...

I am under the belief that mindfly created a new name just to come in her and harass us. 83 just simply isn't enough for this taco
What kind of color is red? Red is a warning. A declaration. A color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and Driven because red doesn't like second place. So what Kind of color is red? Our kind" - The Red Wing Army

#49 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:27 PM

Helm, Eaves, Miller are all upgrades over Draper. And they are the returning guys he would be competing against for playing time. Mursak is definitely going to be on the roster, and offers a lot of what Draper brings; my ideal lineup puts Mursak on the left side replacing Draper with Helm and Eaves. Emmerton would be the likely loss if Draper returns, and he's a 23 year-old C/LW with second-line potential. He showed good offensive instincts and skill in a brief call-up last season and is defensively capable.

I never said they weren't upgrades over Draper. However, Drapes still won faceoffs, still was a grinder, still played excellent defense, still acted as a leader, and still worked harder than most of the players on and off the ice. He contributed to the team, and as a 13th forward he had a ton of value. Mursak, Emmerton, Miller, Eaves, Helm, Abs, none of these guys would lose a spot to Draper or significant ice time for development when we lose Modano and most likely Hudler.

There also is no one in GR outside of Tatar that would be a realistic long term call up in case of injury. The truth is he still has value as a depth role player, and he would easily accept a minimum contract. He is worth that much if all he did was come to the rink everyday and led the workouts as he is known to do.

He should be resigned, unless they fill out the roster in some other way. Which could be the case. I just prefer they use the cap space on the top end guys and fill out the roster now with cheap guys such as Draper.

Osgood is a different story, one that depends on what the Doctors think his conditioning is at. The surgery he had is supposed to have made him stronger than he was for the last two years and if his body holds up I have no problem giving him 20-25 starts. I would expect him to get no less than 12 wins with that load. He also would be a min contract, and that seems like a better deal for the team than spending 1.5 million on a guy to do the same. Howard is the guy, and Osgood is a perfect backup because I still think he could win in the Playoffs if Howard went down. I would want to bring Joey back to be the third guy though, no matter what we choose to do.

For both players, I would just let them know that their status with the team would be determined near the end of free agency, not the beginning. Making any decisions before we round out other important issues, such as the defense and coaching, is just plain folly.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#50 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:51 PM

Draper and Osgood have both been integral to the team's past success, and they've been excellent teammates in the process. That said, it's time for both of them to retire. As Holland said, the torch needs to be passed or this team isn't making forward progress.

#51 RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

• HoF Booster
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:25 PM

only delusional homers want osgood back.

get a clue.

There's a difference between being OK with Osgood "passing the torch" as Holland put it tastefully, and "get lost".

Care to give back those Cups? I don't, but I wouldn't mind moving on either. Ozzie and Drapes rightfully want a chance to sign and make the team. Holland has the tough decision of passing on two valuable and nostalgic parts of the Wings franchise and success for the last 15 years. He's paid to make the right decision.

These two guys deserve a round of applause if they're on their way out, not a "good riddance". Some Wings fans make me sad.
New season, New start! May the force be with the Wings this time!

#52 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:34 PM

You're better than this!

As already touched on, he already hit it...

That's what she said!
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#53 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:06 AM

For Eva: Hudler #1; Osgood #2.

You clearly didn't read any of my post other than the part where I disagreed with the "Osgood leaving" part. Such as "why" I disagreed whether he should or would leave. Maybe you could read it and try to actually come up with an intelligent response instead of a flame?

I really think if Osgood says he is ready they should take his word for it. But this would be his last hoo-ra. I just don't think he wants to go out the way he did last year and wants to prove he can get it done one more time. As for Draper I don't see why he wouldn't be wanted. The guy played most of the season last year and played as hard as the young guys. He scored goals, killed penalties and won faceoffs. Really couldn't see why you would want him to retire. I figure Lids, Oz, Drapes and Holmer have one more year left in em. If Holland were so worried about Emmerton's potential, we would have seen him in more games last season. If you want to remove people, it should be the under achievers like Hudler. He just doesn't seem to work hard enough and expects others to make the plays. Combine that with Modano being gone and Kenny should be able to get it done with Draper and Osgood.

Assuming Eaves and Miller return, Draper doesn't make the top 12 even if you deal Hudler without a forward coming back. And keeping him in that situation would prevent Emmerton and Mursak from getting ice time to develop into the kind of players they can be; given the Wings' age at forward they need their young forwards developing to full potential as soon as possible.

As for Osgood, I refer to my earlier statement regarding the fact that if he is healthy, he will be the backup at or near minimum, but I also expect Holland to sign or at least invite another quality backup-level goaltender to camp.

I'd take Draper back as the 13th/14th forward, that way he won't take away time from the younger players and he'd be a perfect replacement for any injured player.

Franzen/Draper/Holmstrom. Now that sounds like a killer scoring line to me.

Osgood.... umm... bye! Try not to let 3 goals in on your way out.
We need a backup that will accept a role as second, but will still give Jimmy a challenge to continue to improve.

Osgood was outplaying Howard for a considerable stretch before he went out injured. Howard started to play better down the stretch, especially when Osgood came back.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#54 IllinoisRedWingsFan

IllinoisRedWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:30 AM

As much as I loved Osgood and Draper in their prime I Say let them go give the young guys a chance.

#55 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:34 AM

Osgood was outplaying Howard for a considerable stretch before he went out injured. Howard started to play better down the stretch, especially when Osgood came back.

I'm a huge Osgood fan and even I know that's bunk.

He was playing arguably better in 09-10 and slipped up midway through the season. This season, Howard has been the undisputed #1 for Detroit for every part of the season.

Posted Image

#56 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:10 AM

I am under the belief that mindfly created a new name just to come in her and harass us. 83 just simply isn't enough for this taco

as far as i can see, mindfly never said a bad word about anyone on this site. that's one difference between us.

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#57 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:23 AM

That's what she said!

:clap:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#58 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:42 AM

Does this hurt Osgood's HOF prospects?

I am thinking yes as a hall of famer usually gets to call it a career for themselves...
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#59 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:14 AM

I hope that the Wings don't resign Osgood or Draper. Let's use that Cap and Roster space for someone else. Bring Emmerton up this coming season and go after a couple new free agents. Resign MacDonald or even a Free Agent Goalie or something Say bye to Miller and Eaves and let's go after some new blood; something that could give us a little spark on the roster to get the guys going and ready to chase another Cup.

Edited by Dimaline312000, 17 June 2011 - 11:28 AM.

#60 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,948 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:13 PM

I'll be more disappointed with the departure of Osgood, but mostly for nostalgic reasons.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman