#1 GSBrooks13

GSBrooks13

1st Line All-Star

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:36 PM

Linky:
http://www.ottawasun...t major changes

OTTAWA - The NHL could be ready to make drastic changes with a major realignment for the 2012-13 season.

Two league executives told QMI Agency Wednesday that NHL commissioner Gary Bettman presented a proposal during Tuesday’s board of governors meetings in New York to scrap the current format used by the league.

Sources say under Bettman’s proposal, the league will have four divisions: Pacific, Midwest, East and South. It’s believed the Detroit Red Wings and Columbus Blue Jackets would both get their wish to move to the East conference.

Changes need to be made with the Atlanta Thrashers’ move to Winnipeg now official. The two conferences and six divisions will be kept this year, but Bettman is pushing for a major change.

The realignment is by no means final. It’s still in the discussion stages.

Teams would play a balanced 82-game schedule with home-and-home against teams outside their division.

The top four teams in each division would make the playoffs. The first round would be divisonal play, the teams would then re-seed for conference play. Bettman’s idea would not affect a East-West Stanley Cup final matchup.

With 30 teams, one division in each conference will have eight squads while the other will have seven. Under the current format — two conferences and six divisions — division winners and the top five teams make the playoffs.

“Nobody is happy with the current format so I would expect something like this is going to be adopted,” said a league executive, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

Interesting proposal in my mind.. Thoughts?

EDIT: PS. You should click the link anyways just to see the picture they chose of Bettman.. haha

Edited by GSBrooks13, 23 June 2011 - 12:39 PM.

"Push the dirt off your jersey then go for the cup or the trophy or the ring, champion no matter what."

#2 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,036 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:42 PM

I approve.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#3 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:46 PM

I am shocked that Bettman would even consider letting the Wings move East. That puts all of the top-draw teams in one Conference. I'm wondering what Western Conference teams will have to say about the biggest road draw not being there anymore; will they protest because attendance will decrease or will they breathe a sigh of relief not having Wings "home" games anymore?
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#4 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:46 PM

I'm not sure why he'd move both Detroit and Columbus to the East, while just one team is going West. The conferences would be slightly imbalanced, but that's the way it was back in the 1980's, the East had one more team than the West. He's even going back to the 4 divisions. It'd be better if he gave those divisions meaningful names like Patrick, Norris, Smythe and Adams. I like it and for once I'm hoping Gary gets his way.

#5 WingZNut13

WingZNut13

2nd Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:51 PM

I'm with a few others, I am little shocked that he would let the Wings move East and the fat that he would move both Columbus and the Wings east. Like the article said, a lot of people aren't happy with the format. I approve of this "proposed realignment" but I have my doubts with regards to the Wings getting to move East.
What kind of color is red? Red is a warning. A declaration. A color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and Driven because red doesn't like second place. So what Kind of color is red? Our kind" - The Red Wing Army

#6 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:54 PM

I would love a four division league and bring back the old names!!!

I love when trophy names have history tied to them!

That is what makes the Stanley cup the best trophy, the history, the uniqueness.

A "World Championship trophy" with some sticks and a puck (Like NBA, MLB or NLF) would not have the same luster. Bring back that history to the divisions! Hell lets go back to Wales and Campbell conferences too.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#7 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:59 PM

Still undecided if I like the Wings in the East. I love the fact that certain nights I can goto the bar and see the Wings at 1030 and watch until about closing time. On the other hand I know how difficult the travel is for playoffs and reg. season.

So I guess it comes down to me being selfish or not...
Crosby is a crybaby *****

#8 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:00 PM

I'd like to see the teams in their divisions. It is weird to think that with only one team moving west, to have two go east... There would have to be another going west, you would think....but who?

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#9 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:01 PM

Do my eyes deceive me?!? Bettman doing something right?!?!
:yowza: :yowza: :yowza:

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#10 WingZNut13

WingZNut13

2nd Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:04 PM

I'd like to see the teams in their divisions. It is weird to think that with only one team moving west, to have two go east... There would have to be another going west, you would think....but who?

Wouldn't Winnipeg move out West? That's why I think it's weird to send two teams West and send one team East.

That was my understanding but I could be wrong and probably will be wrong.
What kind of color is red? Red is a warning. A declaration. A color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and Driven because red doesn't like second place. So what Kind of color is red? Our kind" - The Red Wing Army

#11 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,054 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:06 PM

I want the Wings to move East, but I want to see what the exact divisions are before I can decide whether I like it or not.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#12 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:07 PM

I'm not sure why he'd move both Detroit and Columbus to the East, while just one team is going West. The conferences would be slightly imbalanced, but that's the way it was back in the 1980's, the East had one more team than the West. He's even going back to the 4 divisions. It'd be better if he gave those divisions meaningful names like Patrick, Norris, Smythe and Adams. I like it and for once I'm hoping Gary gets his way.

I was just thinking the same thing as I read the article.

Interesting concept and, while it will no doubt be refined and tweaked, I could see it going through.

Also, that picture rules.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#13 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:11 PM

I want the Wings to move East, but I want to see what the exact divisions are before I can decide whether I like it or not.

My guess is that the Northeast, Detroit, Columbus and maybe part of the Atlantic will be the East division. Most of the Atlantic and the Southeast will be the South division.

#14 Viperar

Viperar

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:11 PM

I like this a lot, wow bettman doing something right...feels dirty :scared:
IPB Image
IPB Image

#15 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

Hall-of-Famer

• HoF Booster
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:12 PM

Also, that picture rules.

Looks like he's still got something in his eye after a little "one-on-one" time with Crosby....if ya know what I'm sayin'

Posted Image

#16 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:19 PM

This does bring an interesting question, what could we expect these divisions to be? I tried my best at guessing, based on geography - but obviously the South division would be a pretty liberal name as far as that goes.

Midwest
Minnesota Wild
Chicago Blackhawks
St. Louis Blues
Dallas Stars
Colorado Avalanche
Phoenix Coyotes
Nashville Predators

Pacific
Anaheim Ducks
Los Angeles Kings
San Jose Sharks
Vancouver Canucks
Winnipeg Jets
Edmonton Oilers
Calgary Flames

East
Detroit Red Wings
Pittsburgh Penguins
Toronto Maple Leafs
Ottawa Senators
Montreal Canadiens
Buffalo Sabres
New York Rangers
Boston Bruins

South
Tampa Bay Lightning
Florida Panthers
Carolina Hurricanes
Washington Capitals
New Jersey Devils
Philadelphia Flyers
Columbus Blue Jackets
New York Islanders

Obviously things get a pretty ambiguous when it comes to the South in my breakdown, as I wasn't really sure what would qualify a team to be considered 'South'. In a breakdown like this, I feel like it makes a lot more sense to have Columbus play in the Midwest division.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#17 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:20 PM

I like this a lot, wow bettman doing something right...feels dirty :scared:

Yea, no kidding, I was thinking the same thing... but gotta give credit where it's due, no matter how dirty it makes one feel inside...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#18 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:25 PM

East
Detroit Red Wings
Pittsburgh Penguins
Toronto Maple Leafs
Ottawa Senators
Montreal Canadiens
Buffalo Sabres
New York Rangers
Boston Bruins

We would f*** that division up
Crosby is a crybaby *****

#19 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

Hall-of-Famer

• HoF Booster
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:27 PM

The problem is the statement that each conference would have one division with 8 teams & one with 7. I would assume that the East & South divisions would be in the Eastern Conference and Midwest & Pacific in the Western. If that's the case & both Detroit & Columbus move to the Eastern, that means moving an existing Eastern team over in addtion to Winnipeg. To do that, you would have to move a team futher east than either Detroit or Columbus over. I don't see that happening.

#20 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:27 PM

Could be worse.

Don't like the changes to playoff format though.
Posted Image