• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#101 Lonewuhf

Lonewuhf

Rookie

• Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 02:13 AM

Hudler had a sub-par year last year, but he's still worth a spot on the roster over being waived and lost for nothing.

He's likely just going to be benched all year anyway.

#102 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 09:51 AM

there is the other side to this, Huds could put up 20 goals and 60 points next year and prove us wrong.
"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#103 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 10:14 AM

there is the other side to this, Huds could put up 20 goals and 60 points next year and prove us wrong.

lol
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#104 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:22 AM

did not live up to his paycheck

I understand the hate, but this is something people don't seem to understand. Hudler may have had a subpar first half, but he was paid like a bottom-half second liner and that's where his overall season performance placed him. Holmstrom and Bertuzzi are cheap because of injury and age, and questions about what they might provide in the future. Cleary makes basically the same as Hudler. Filppula makes more and signed his contract before he was a second liner, while Hudler had just scored 57 points when he signed his.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#105 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:40 AM

How are you holding up?

Must be real tough to think it might actually happen.

#106 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 12:02 PM

You know if we keep Huds and he actually gets around 40 points this season I'm going to bite my tongue. Thing is I highly doubt Kenny is re-signing him next off-season.

#107 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,908 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 12:03 PM

I understand the hate, but this is something people don't seem to understand. Hudler may have had a subpar first half, but he was paid like a bottom-half second liner and that's where his overall season performance placed him. Holmstrom and Bertuzzi are cheap because of injury and age, and questions about what they might provide in the future. Cleary makes basically the same as Hudler. Filppula makes more and signed his contract before he was a second liner, while Hudler had just scored 57 points when he signed his.

True.

My quote was part of an answer to the question "why the hate?" or something along that line.

When Hudler went to arbitration, there were a lot of people who were pretty upset. That, IMHO, is where the hate for most began. Then when he went to Russia, things got worse. I, for one, defended his move to Russia because we would not have been able to afford what he was awarded. We just didn't have the cap space. I still believe that he went there knowing that it would buy us time until the next year when we would have the space to afford him.

So the "didn't live up to paycheck" comment was not accurate. Mea culpa. I would have been better saying "people expect a guy who took the team to arbitration to kick serious butt to prove that he was worth it" or something along that line.

What I meant by that was that once he came back, he was on a very short leash, and quite a few around here didn't feel that he was worth what he was being paid, more due to the arbitration than to his output to pay ratio.

To be honest, I expected more of him. I was pulling for him, but he just didn't seem all there. He had his flashes of greatness, but they seemed few and far apart. I have to admit that I was disappointed. Of course, had we won another Cup, he would have earned his pay at the parade. :D

#108 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 12:06 PM

How are you holding up?

Must be real tough to think it might actually happen.

I think you're thinking of the Filppula groupies.

Given the fact that over the almost 30 years I have been watching hockey, most of my favorite players have been traded or waived at least once; including Adam Oates, Steve Chiasson, Dallas Drake, Chris Osgood, and others.

#109 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 12:47 PM

You know if we keep Huds and he actually gets around 40 points this season I'm going to bite my tongue. Thing is I highly doubt Kenny is re-signing him next off-season.

Really? Around 40 points is where you're setting the bar for tongue biting? I would say be prepared to bite your tongue, then. That's a bit of a exaggeration. Everyone was all disappointed with last season and he scored 37 points. I would say that qualifies as 'around 40 points' - and everyone seems to be in agreement that it was less than expected. This year he won't be dealing with the KHL transition, etc....plus, no Draper or Modano so he may not sit as many games. If he had played a few more games last year, he would have hit 40. He hit 40 in 07-08, not to mention the 57 in 08-09. I understand the disappointment with the output vs. the $ for Hudler, but let's be realistic.

#110 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 01:12 PM

Really? Around 40 points is where you're setting the bar for tongue biting? I would say be prepared to bite your tongue, then. That's a bit of a exaggeration. Everyone was all disappointed with last season and he scored 37 points. I would say that qualifies as 'around 40 points' - and everyone seems to be in agreement that it was less than expected. This year he won't be dealing with the KHL transition, etc....plus, no Draper or Modano so he may not sit as many games. If he had played a few more games last year, he would have hit 40. He hit 40 in 07-08, not to mention the 57 in 08-09. I understand the disappointment with the output vs. the $ for Hudler, but let's be realistic.

Ok. Let's be realistic when I said 40 points. Maybe I was thinking more like 20 goals and 20 assists compared to his 10 goals and 27 assists. Still the same number basically I know but like everyone or myself thought he would/should have put the puck in the net more. Maybe 50-60 points is more realistic I don't know. Funny thing is I don't really remember him having that many assists. Still his cap hit isn't worth it. He's small, weak with the puck, gets knocked around all over the ice. I mean obviously his trade value isn't worth much right now. I don't mind him except for the fact that he jumped ship to the KHL when we needed him and then said "oh" I think I'll come back now and play in NHL.

#111 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 01:25 PM

Ok. Let's be realistic when I said 40 points. Maybe I was thinking more like 20 goals and 20 assists compared to his 10 goals and 27 assists. Still the same number basically I know but like everyone or myself thought he would/should have put the puck in the net more. Maybe 50-60 points is more realistic I don't know. Funny thing is I don't really remember him having that many assists. Still his cap hit isn't worth it. He's small, weak with the puck, gets knocked around all over the ice. I mean obviously his trade value isn't worth much right now. I don't mind him except for the fact that he jumped ship to the KHL when we needed him and then said "oh" I think I'll come back now and play in NHL.

Yeah, I get it.... and I think saying '20 goals' or '50-60 points' as you said, would be a better bar to set. I guess the KHL thing didn't really bother me as much as it did some others. Anyway, I'm trying to look at it more positively. Let's face it, Hudler is probably going to be on this roster next season. There IS reason to believe that he could return to 07-08 form this coming year and score your 20 goals and 50-60 points. As I said, no KHL adjustment period, etc. If he does that, then great - everyone will be happy to be surpised (since it seems that everyone is of the mind that he will go downhill from last year instead of up, considering all of the negative Hudler talk). If he doesn't... well, it's only for one more year at the $2.875 million. Was I disappointed in his play last year? Definitely. But, this switching back and forth from NHL to KHL is a relatively new deal. I feel like that was a huge part of the reason for his dropoff. He wasn't any smaller or weaker in 07-08 when everyone was happy with his production. I believe that he deserves the chance to rebound to that form this season, and that he deserves our support in attempting to do so.

#112 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,045 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 01:28 PM

If Brett Lebda can fetch a return, so can Hudler. :ph34r:

#NOMOREKINDL

#113 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 01:29 PM

i think huds is going to have a decent bounce back season. i feel like it just took him a year to get used to playing in this league again.. towards the end of the year he picked up his play a little and he's definitely worth a roster spot..

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#114 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 01:30 PM

Yeah, I get it.... and I think saying '20 goals' or '50-60 points' as you said, would be a better bar to set. I guess the KHL thing didn't really bother me as much as it did some others. Anyway, I'm trying to look at it more positively. Let's face it, Hudler is probably going to be on this roster next season. There IS reason to believe that he could return to 07-08 form this coming year and score your 20 goals and 50-60 points. As I said, no KHL adjustment period, etc. If he does that, then great - everyone will be happy to be surpised (since it seems that everyone is of the mind that he will go downhill from last year instead of up, considering all of the negative Hudler talk). If he doesn't... well, it's only for one more year at the $2.875 million. Was I disappointed in his play last year? Definitely. But, this switching back and forth from NHL to KHL is a relatively new deal. I feel like that was a huge part of the reason for his dropoff. He wasn't any smaller or weaker in 07-08 when everyone was happy with his production. I believe that he deserves the chance to rebound to that form this season, and that he deserves our support in attempting to do so.

I agree with you 100%. You know if somehow he does turn it around maybe Kenny might re-sign him who knows? But also if this upcoming season he performs like you said like the 07-08 Hudler, his trade value will go up and things could get interesting. I just don't think Hudler fits on our team anymore but anyone wearing the Winged Wheel has my support 100%, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the best from Huds this up-coming season. :D

#115 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,282 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 01:36 PM

I am thinking the reason we are unable to unload him is that he is knocked off the puck WAY to easy... The guy is little and is VERY easy to move...

Give me a hard working Canadian boy any day over his lazy butt...
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#116 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 02:13 PM

I agree with you 100%. You know if somehow he does turn it around maybe Kenny might re-sign him who knows? But also if this upcoming season he performs like you said like the 07-08 Hudler, his trade value will go up and things could get interesting. I just don't think Hudler fits on our team anymore but anyone wearing the Winged Wheel has my support 100%, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the best from Huds this up-coming season. :D

I agree with both you and Barabbas. I would not have been bothered it they'd been able to trade Hudler. Or even if they still might. Point is, right now he's a Red Wing and I'm a Red Wings' fan and I'm going to hope and pray that if he stays, that he has a great year. Right along with all other players on my team. Why the hell not??!

What's the point of ripping and tearing any player on MY team? Where does it get me except higher blood pressure and maybe a point for about 5 minutes about my astute brilliance in bitching about said player from those who are equally as self-centered.

I have never understood this kind of thinking. Nope, not even my own when I was ripping on Rafalski. That was SO wrong. And short-sighted. And selfish. And pointless! :ph34r:

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#117 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 03:42 PM

In 2008-09 he had 23 goals and 34 assists. Sure, a higher assists to goal ratio last year. But a big difference is that he started the season in a slump with other slumping players, and then when he served in more of a playmaker role, with his peak alongside Datsyuk and Cleary (both scoring more goals than assists during that period). So he spent most of his season as a playmaker.

I am thinking the reason we are unable to unload him is that he is knocked off the puck WAY to easy... The guy is little and is VERY easy to move...

I'll place a call to Switzerland and get Stacy Roest on the first flight over. Haven't seen many harder working Canadian players, and a guy with his speed and tenacity would match up very well with Helm.

#118 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,282 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 03:48 PM

In 2008-09 he had 23 goals and 34 assists. Sure, a higher assists to goal ratio last year. But a big difference is that he started the season in a slump with other slumping players, and then when he served in more of a playmaker role, with his peak alongside Datsyuk and Cleary (both scoring more goals than assists during that period). So he spent most of his season as a playmaker.

I'll place a call to Switzerland and get Stacy Roest on the first flight over. Haven't seen many harder working Canadian players, and a guy with his speed and tenacity would match up very well with Helm.

Other teams push him off the puck and Babcock sat Jiri a few times for his lack of effort if I remember correctly.

Dan Cleary works hard for his size, as did Draper and neither are as much as a "pushover" as your boy Hudler.

Edited by Rivalred, 03 July 2011 - 03:52 PM.

D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#119 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 03:58 PM

Marty St. Louis is small also but I'd take him in a heartbeat. It's not about size, it's about heart. That Russsian guy that we have is pretty goos to.

Stop with the anti-European crap. That got old 10 years ago...
Do or do not. There is no try

#120 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 04:01 PM

All this hating on Hudler is getting really annoying quite frankly. Was he good last season? No he was not great, but after one mediocre season should we really trade him away? I was watching clips from games from the year we won the Cup, and the year in 2009 (I miss those days oof being STACKED) and I remembered how good Hudler can be, and at key times in big games too... I think it would be dumb to trade away Hudler. In 2009 playoffs, PAVEL DATSYUK was kind of a ghost (and he is my favorite player of all time not named Nicklas Lidstrom) and some people were actually wanting him to get moved. Since than, Pavel has showed us why he is the best player in the world, and he had his best playoffs ever this season.

I think Hudler needs to be given a chance to redeem himself this season because IMO any success at winning a cup this season will depend on Hudler being his old self, and good years from the Eurotwins and Captain Nick. Give the guy a break, and instead of ragging on him, how about you hope for the best so that our team can be the best.