• Please log in to reply
281 replies to this topic

#41 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:45 PM

cmon man its over. too many health issues learn from raffi.

really holland? rather have a 38 year old who could only play 11 games last year then a 22 year old back up?

better have something up your sleeve with 8mil to spend

Edited by brett, 18 July 2011 - 06:48 PM.

#42 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:52 PM

awful news.

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#43 Wings3:16

Wings3:16

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:02 PM

Maybe he'll Brett Hull it and retire like 5 games in
Wings in 2013...Bring the Cup back to Hockeytown!

#44 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:06 PM

I say he's back, give the guy a chance.

Are you listening, Babcock?

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#45 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:09 PM

Osgood did not do well in game seven. He failed to position his stick correctly on the first goal and completely lost his angle on the second.

We also only scored 1 goal. Last I checked, giving up 2 goals isn't exactly evidence for "not playing well" Usually the 1-2 goal range is what we ideally want out of a goalie in a realistic world to "give the team a chance to win." He wasn't perfect and you could say it wasn't his best game, but it's a stretch to say he didn't play well. He wasn't the only one who dropped the ball on the plays either.

The bottom line with that run was that our stars were too beat up to push us over the top. A 2-1 loss with a battered lineup is a tough loss to swallow on so many levels and it's easy to look at the goalie when they don't pull out the shutout or the 1 goal effort...but Osgood didn't exactly pull a Luongo either. What happened with Luongo this year was truly "not playing well" in game 7.
-Elliot...does not panic.

#46 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,941 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:17 PM

As a big Ozzie fan, I wish him all the best for a healthy final season. However, I'm happy we signed Joey Mac to back up Ozzie as the back up.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#47 HockeyCrazy3033

HockeyCrazy3033

Hall of Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 17,360 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:32 PM

How can anyone possibly complain if indeed he is returning for one more season? After all his years and loyalty to the Red Wings, he deserves to get one more year. If he really didn't feel like he couldn't play anymore or that his injury was THAT bad he wouldn't play. I trust his and Holland's decision and am extremely happy if he re-signs for another year. Couldn't ask for a better or more reliable back up.
"I'm a winner. That's all I do". - Chris Osgood -

#48 shoe

shoe

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:40 PM

Osgood tends to play well when everyone expects him to fall flat. He plays the dark horse really well. I'm all for him coming back with all your doubts.

#49 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:46 PM

I was hoping they were going to go into a different direction considering Osgood's recent injury history, but if he's healthy enough to play, then I'm glad he'll be here for another year. I just REALLY hope he stays healthy.

#50 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,736 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:58 PM

I sure hope it is retirement....Does Holland really think Osgood is the best back up option? I guess Nabokov isn't worth Hudler to him....or is it the Isle's dont want Hudler?

edit: I am a huge history buff, but damn I am growing tired of nostalgia on this team...Draper, Osgood, it's time to go, hang them up, retire! SPEND THE MONEY HOLLAND! TRADE HUDLER!

Edited by LeftWinger, 18 July 2011 - 08:06 PM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#51 echos myron

echos myron

swag

• Restricted
  • Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:18 PM

cmon man its over. too many health issues learn from raffi.

really holland? rather have a 38 year old who could only play 11 games last year then a 22 year old back up?

better have something up your sleeve with 8mil to spend

really brett? rather have a 22 year old who could only save 87% of the shots against in the AHL?

#52 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:46 PM

Please let this be a retirement...

Not trying to be disrespectful if it is, but nothing scares me more about the upcoming season than Osgood being our backup.

If it is, he's had an amazing career. I've been happy to have him as a wing so many years and championships.

I hope he proves you wrong and he has a great season.

Too bad for us.

You'll change your mind once he get's going.

He would have to paint Babcocks house or something in order to get even a game to get going...

Bab's moved into his old house when he came here, I'm not sure if he's still there but that's enough. :P

I am very happy for this announcement. Ozzie is going to have a great season and prove to everyone that he did deserve this signing. Maybe people will remember all the success he's had with the Wings so he can retire with everyone's love instead of hate.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#53 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,305 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:57 PM

I am going to be laughing hard if he is healthy and has a stellar season.

Folks have short term memory issues as Osgood came off the bench in 2008 and well, there was a parade with that big shiny metal thing.
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#54 diehardredwing19

diehardredwing19

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:04 PM

i cannot believe how some of or most of you pple are against ozzie. the man took us into the finals back to back in the last 3 years.. yea he has been real banged up.. but would you really want emery back there? instead of ozzie... yea conks wud be good hes been here before to.. but what ozzie brings to the team no golie in the market would... i pray to GOD he stays healthy as possible.. and im real glad that joey mac is our 3rd guy. but come on pple ozzies done so much for our team give him a shot. ps.. off the bench in 2008 it wouldnt of been possible at all not even close! wihtout him that year..

#55 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:06 PM

He was great in the playoffs. He couldn't stop a beachball in the regular season.

So which matters more to you?

I am going to be laughing hard if he is healthy and has a stellar season.

Folks have short term memory issues as Osgood came off the bench in 2008 and well, there was a parade with that big shiny metal thing.

No Ozzie to bailout Hasek in 08 and no Stanley cup. But what do I k ow that was like 10 years ago

Edited by kylee, 18 July 2011 - 10:08 PM.

#56 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:07 PM

True, but they didn't have to play those games if they didn't get the series momentum stolen from them. I don't care if it sounds like conspiracy theories or whining, I know what I saw. Bad calls that allowed an inferior team to extend a series, and ultimately win by the slimmest of margins.

We don't get to call that one a championship, but I will always be satisfied knowing we were the better team and have found peace with that. Osgood unfortunately needed the actual credit more than just the victory of the soul.

You have your opinion on this matter, here is mine....

The best team always wins a 7 game series. The Red Wings were not the better team that series. Osgood was awesome in that series though, and I do approve of the signing for an additional year.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#57 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:08 PM

Osgood's the backup? The line for the parade forms behind me.

It's a low risk move. If he eats sucks and blows you cut him and sign somebody else. There are always deals to be made for backup goalies during the season.

14767451334_8f0d14d8cb_o.jpg

#58 weGotTheCup89

weGotTheCup89

This is for the Wings fans!

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:13 PM

OZZIE! OZZIE! Wasn't this basically expected when we signed Joey Mac and were told he wasn't going to be the #1 backup? Nothing wrong with this.
Q: Of all the individual trophies you have not won, which one would you most like to win?
Datsyuk: I have so many of them that I haven't won. I think I would most like to win a trophy to the best goaltending duo.

#59 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:18 PM

You'll change your mind once he get's going.

I hope so.

#60 greenrebellion

greenrebellion

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:39 PM

He's been below average for 3 regular seasons in a row now...I've always been a big Ozzie supporter but I think bringing him back is a mistake.