• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

News From Around the NHL *Mod warning page 75*

Rate this topic

5 minutes ago, Troy McClure said:

I mean I'm aware that tax loopholes exist, but saving 1 million a year just via a good accountant? And if a Montreal accountant can make my 3.75 turn into 4.75, why can't my Tampa accountant turn my 4.75 into 5.75?

No idea, I'm just regurgitating what I saw.

Atlanta group has officially requested an expansion. Do they go back to the trasher name?

We should do a duel expansion at the time with Salt Lake and Atlanta for maximum chaos

Meanwhile the yotes will never get an arena or be moved

1 hour ago, Troy McClure said:

Atlanta group has officially requested an expansion. Do they go back to the trasher name?

We should do a duel expansion at the time with Salt Lake and Atlanta for maximum chaos

Meanwhile the yotes will never get an arena or be moved

Please NO NO NO to Atlanta NHL has failed twice. No one that is a hockey fan goes to games UNLESS their team is in town. I went to like 4 Thrasher games and they were always against the Wings. No one is going in the middle of Feb to watch the Atlanta Whatevers play the Yotes

26 minutes ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

Please NO NO NO to Atlanta NHL has failed twice. No one that is a hockey fan goes to games UNLESS their team is in town. I went to like 4 Thrasher games and they were always against the Wings. No one is going in the middle of Feb to watch the Atlanta Whatevers play the Yotes

Atlanta Original Georgians

The OGs

1 hour ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

Maybe it's just coincidence, but I found it kind of odd how many black players Atlanta scooped up at the end there. Evander Kane, Byflugien, Nigel Dawes, Anthony Stewart, Johnny Oduya. Like a lot of teams have none on their roster, some have 1, MAYBE 2, but you never see 5 on a single team even today. And I've always wondered if this was intentional or not at the end to try and connect with the black population in Atlanta. I'm curious from your perspective if folks in Atlanta thought the same thing. 

Edited by Troy McClure

22 minutes ago, Troy McClure said:

Maybe it's just coincidence, but I found it kind of odd how many black players Atlanta scooped up at the end there. Evander Kane, Byflugien, Nigel Dawes, Anthony Stewart, Johnny Oduya. Like a lot of teams have none on their roster, some have 1, MAYBE 2, but you never see 5 on a single team even today. And I've always wondered if this was intentional or not at the end to try and connect with the black population in Atlanta. I'm curious from your perspective if folks in Atlanta thought the same thing. 

Cultural appropriation is the term your searching for 

Houston, QC, Salt Lake, Atlanta....

What happens when we reach 40 teams? Is it good for the sport or dilution? I mean guys like Cory Emmerton might suddenly gain careers, and good for them... but does the league start to become a joke when we don't even play rivals more than twice a year? Or play some teams only once or not at all?

Part of me thinks Gary and the boys are ignoring the long term consequences because of the warchest being presented to them by expansion groups.  

2 minutes ago, Troy McClure said:

Houston, QC, Salt Lake, Atlanta....

What happens when we reach 40 teams? Is it good for the sport or dilution? I mean guys like Cory Emmerton might suddenly gain careers, and good for them... but does the league start to become a joke when we don't even play rivals more than twice a year? Or play some teams only once or not at all?

Part of me thinks Gary and the boys are ignoring the long term consequences because of the warchest being presented to them by expansion groups.  

The players love it, the owners love it, and Bettman will be dead or retired by that point. The only people that don't like it will be the fans and the "big business of sports" stopped caring about what fans think forever ago.

1 minute ago, kipwinger said:

The players love it, the owners love it, and Bettman will be dead or retired by that point. The only people that don't like it will be the fans and the "big business of sports" stopped caring about what fans think forever ago.

Do the owners really love it? I mean the board of governors which is mostly owners has to approve, so maybe they do. But possibly setting up more welfare teams means teams like Toronto, Montreal, Detroit, Boston have to pay more into the collective sharing fund to benefit someone else. But maybe Im dumb and those expansion teams will profitable from the start.

20 minutes ago, Troy McClure said:

Do the owners really love it? I mean the board of governors which is mostly owners has to approve, so maybe they do. But possibly setting up more welfare teams means teams like Toronto, Montreal, Detroit, Boston have to pay more into the collective sharing fund to benefit someone else. But maybe Im dumb and those expansion teams will profitable from the start.

The owners split the expansion fees between themselves when a new team is created. $500 million for Vegas and $650 million for Seattle. That's roughly $40 million dollars per owner for those two teams, plus a share of any future revenue. My guess is they're fairly enthusiastic about it.

Edit: https://www.forbes.com/sites/carolschram/2023/10/07/after-vegas-and-seattle-successes-the-nhl-eyes-additional-expansion/?sh=ddfdea65f457

Edited by kipwinger

The owners split the expansion fees between themselves when a new team is created. $500 million for Vegas and $650 million for Seattle. That's roughly $40 million dollars per owner for those two teams, plus a share of any future revenue. My guess is they're fairly enthusiastic about it.

Nice we will have 50 teams by 2030

Do you think this creates a better situation for guys like McDavid? If we make a buncha new teams that doesn't automatically mean more superstars appear. In fact, IMO, it probably means superstars will probably beat up on the little guys more often. 

7 minutes ago, Troy McClure said:

Nice we will have 50 teams by 2030

Do you think this creates a better situation for guys like McDavid? If we make a buncha new teams that doesn't automatically mean more superstars appear. In fact, IMO, it probably means superstars will probably beat up on the little guys more often. 

Good question, I don't really know. It probably would necessitate a change in the draft rules. You'd have to make sure no one team could hoard talent the way that Edmonton or Buffalo has.

Edit: I also think guys would just come into the league earlier, and stay a little later.

Edited by kipwinger

Good question, I don't really know. It probably would necessitate a change in the draft rules. You'd have to make sure no one team could hoard talent the way that Edmonton or Buffalo has.

You may not or probably disagree, but I would like a league with less parity. IMO if you have Lidstrom and Yzerman, or Crosby and Malkin, you should feast. I don't want it to become the NBA where superstars manipulate the league by signing together, but I'm less worried about that with 23 player roster. I think you're always going to still need good secondaries. But I do want to see the head to heads of Mcd v Mackinno like we used to see in SY v Sakic and so on.  

I guess Im pro dilution then

1 minute ago, Troy McClure said:

You may not or probably disagree, but I would like a league with less parity. IMO if you have Lidstrom and Yzerman, or Crosby and Malkin, you should feast. I don't want it to become the NBA where superstars manipulate the league by signing together, but I'm less worried about that with 23 player roster. I think you're always going to still need good secondaries. But I do want to see the head to heads of Mcd v Mackinno like we used to see in SY v Sakic and so on.  

As long as it's reasonably competitive I don't care. I hate superteams in the NBA and MLB. I don't like seeing New York or Los Angeles based teams win all the time because they can spend a billion dollars on a team irrespective of how good they are at drafting and developing. You look at the top teams in the NHL this year there are maybe 5-6 teams that could realistically win the Cup (Edmonton, Colorado, Florida, NYR, and maybe Vegas and Toronto). That's good enough for me. I hate leagues where you know Lebron's team is going to play in the finals before the first game of the season is even played.

As far as your matchup argument, I'm not sure I agree that parity is the problem. SY and Sakic didn't meet every year in the playoffs because other teams in the Western Conference were weak (i.e. lacking parity). St. Louis and Dallas were both really strong teams during that period too. But I'd certainly prefer true bracketing and re-seeding after each round to ensure that the best teams don't see each other until later in the playoffs.

32 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

As long as it's reasonably competitive I don't care. I hate superteams in the NBA and MLB. I don't like seeing New York or Los Angeles based teams win all the time because they can spend a billion dollars on a team irrespective of how good they are at drafting and developing. You look at the top teams in the NHL this year there are maybe 5-6 teams that could realistically win the Cup (Edmonton, Colorado, Florida, NYR, and maybe Vegas and Toronto). That's good enough for me. I hate leagues where you know Lebron's team is going to play in the finals before the first game of the season is even played.

As far as your matchup argument, I'm not sure I agree that parity is the problem. SY and Sakic didn't meet every year in the playoffs because other teams in the Western Conference were weak (i.e. lacking parity). St. Louis and Dallas were both really strong teams during that period too. But I'd certainly prefer true bracketing and re-seeding after each round to ensure that the best teams don't see each other until later in the playoffs.

Fersure rebracketing. I do want to see the best whooping on each other in the finals, more than I do the 1st or 2nd round. 

I was a bigger NBA fan b4 hockey, and that leagues became such a joke I haven't watched a game in probably almost 15 years, after watching almost every Piston game every season. But I think increasing to 40 teams means guys like McD and Mackinnon score 150 pts everyone season.The superstars will feast and the rest of the players to lesser extent as well. That's prolly good for the league. Eventually the proportion of superstars will catch up and we will be back to where we are today.

27 minutes ago, Troy McClure said:

Fersure rebracketing. I do want to see the best whooping on each other in the finals, more than I do the 1st or 2nd round. 

I was a bigger NBA fan b4 hockey, and that leagues became such a joke I haven't watched a game in probably almost 15 years, after watching almost every Piston game every season. But I think increasing to 40 teams means guys like McD and Mackinnon score 150 pts everyone season.The superstars will feast and the rest of the players to lesser extent as well. That's prolly good for the league. Eventually the proportion of superstars will catch up and we will be back to where we are today.

Maybe. But maybe not. If every team has the money and roster spots, then there's a greater chance that Draisaitl or Makar or Marner or whomever hits free agency because some GM somewhere is going to be willing to pay them like they're McDavid, MacKinnon, or Matthews. And does McDavid score as much without Draisaitl to pass to on the powerplay? Does MacKinnon score as much without Makar acting as a one man breakout and zone entry?

But I think that depends on if they keep the salary cap or not. If you have 40 teams and two or three of them can stockpile talent then I agree with you. It's too hard to predict without knowing the other specifics.

I do know there won't be enough good goalies to go around, so scoring should increase pretty dramatically for that reason alone.

14 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Maybe. But maybe not. If every team has the money and roster spots, then there's a greater chance that Draisaitl or Makar or Marner or whomever hits free agency because some GM somewhere is going to be willing to pay them like they're McDavid, MacKinnon, or Matthews. And does McDavid score as much without Draisaitl to pass to on the powerplay? Does MacKinnon score as much without Makar acting as a one man breakout and zone entry?

But I think that depends on if they keep the salary cap or not. If you have 40 teams and two or three of them can stockpile talent then I agree with you. It's too hard to predict without knowing the other specifics.

I do know there won't be enough good goalies to go around, so scoring should increase pretty dramatically for that reason alone.

I think the proportion of "very good players" would be concentrated initially. Maybe even for 10 years. but eventually it would even ou depending on drafting skill to some level

IMO, each time there's expansion there should be 2. Keep this crap even, odd number teams screw up playoffs. Also fug the expansion draft. I hate when that comes around. It seems teams get to protect less players each time. Although I know the last 2 have been the same. Another good reason to keep middle of the road aging vets on the team! 

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

IMO, each time there's expansion there should be 2. Keep this crap even, odd number teams screw up playoffs. Also fug the expansion draft. I hate when that comes around. It seems teams get to protect less players each time. Although I know the last 2 have been the same. Another good reason to keep middle of the road aging vets on the team! 

We've been pretty unscathed by the recent expansions. But now that were on the come up we are prolly gonna lose a guy like Rasmussen or something to an expansion in the near future...

I don't worry too much about expansion drafts. They've basically got it set up to where no team loses any of their elite talent or newly drafted players. Hypothetically if we were to lose a Walman but keep Seider, Edvinsson, and ASP does anyone really care too much?

Edit: The other thing I've noticed with Vegas and Seattle is that neither organization was trying to be too good right off the bat. They didn't really take the best players. They took guys on the best contracts. Basically loaded up on guys who either could be flipped at the deadline or were on such good deals that it allowed them to have a zillion dollars in cap space to work with. Not sure if that's a trend that would hold, but it seemed to work for both those organizations.

Edited by kipwinger

2 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I don't worry too much about expansion drafts. They've basically got it set up to where no team loses any of their elite talent or newly drafted players. Hypothetically if we were to lose a Walman but keep Seider, Edvinsson, and ASP does anyone really care too much?

Nah i dont, it was just nicer to only give up a cholowski. But losing walgod is okay i guess if we are winning.

11 hours ago, Troy McClure said:

Morning coffee and conversation with Troy(hello podcast)(had work not interfered)

I think they were trying to pull in/create a black fan base with those picks. I don't remember seeing a big outreach like Kane etc being seen at Hawks games and working to do crossover attraction but then again I am old so might be wrong on that point. Or any of them featured in local commercials for instance 

If I were to rank the sports fans down here on average as far as their priority in rooting for a team today. College football is dominant and elevated to degrees I had never seen before moving here. B10 ain't got nothing with the rabid obsessiveness for the SEC. 

1. UGA

2. Bama

3. Braves

4. Falcons

5. Hawks

6. United

Not saying a UGA/BAMA fan isn't invested in the Falcons but only because they are the same game and they can understand it. 

Atlanta is a HUGE ***** to get downtown and to get to the arena they played at was a nightmare. So a lot of the folks in the suburbs wouldn't bother to fight the traffic unless OUR team was playing. A true hockey fan wont flip teams IMHO no matter where we live we are not going to veer away from the Wings(present streak disregarded).  

I think team management floundered with the draft picks also so the team was  very meh for 11 years https://www.statmuse.com/nhl/ask?q=atlanta+thrashers+all-time+record that doesn't build up your fan base either(See Vegas). Didn't help when your Allstar Heatley killed a teammate in a crash.

Your potential fanbase saw hockey as only fighting and had no clues about the game. I remember they would run Hockey 101 classes to try to have people understand that icing is not a penalty.  The ownership group was pretty much a disaster and rumor was once they bought the Hawks/Thrashers they were looking to unload the Thrashers. 

So maybe the way the new expansion teams work now it might be possible.  But they would have to build outside of what's called the perimeter which is where 285 goes around the city much like they have done with the battery. Which is where the Braves play and its pretty cool area concert venue crap-ton of restaurants etc. 

Funny thing is one of my son in laws plays hockey and has since he was little.  So at least one of my daughters picked the right guy! Last year his club team was ......The Red Wings... lol