20 replies to this topic

#1 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:04 PM

My link

It's pretty sad, people are willing to hit the streets over a badly run hockey team, but they don't care about the real problems this nation is facing.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#2 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:42 PM

I wish there would have been a picture of all seven of them getting fired up.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#3 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:13 PM

I was under the impression that they had been protesting by not attending games, not existing, etc.

Edited by wings1110, 29 January 2012 - 11:14 PM.

#4 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:14 PM

I heard someplace there were around 300. Not a bad showing, surprisingly. It's hard to get anyone to actually show up to a protest, let alone to protest something as small as a sports team's management.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#5 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,940 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:24 PM

Protests are stupid. If you want to change things, get yourself in a position to do something. Get off your butt and become part of the process that makes the decisions instead of sitting around trying to get attention.

#6 Hockeytown Red Wings

Hockeytown Red Wings

Buckeye & Red Wing fanatic

• Silver Booster
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:00 AM

Protests are stupid. If you want to change things, get yourself in a position to do something. Get off your butt and become part of the process that makes the decisions instead of sitting around trying to get attention.

Of course! It's so simple! So just become General Manager of the Jackets? I'll be sure to tell all my friends they're stupid.

I mean, how idiotic of them to stage something to try to get attention of the people they feel are responsible for ruining their experience as a fan. Some of which who have spent thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars never to see a single playoff win.

You're right. Nevermind the fact that it was a pretty positive "protest" unless you're Scott Howson.

"During Robert Lang’s time in Detroit, he caused me anguish. Other times he brought me and my family great joy. Robert Lang occasionally coasts, and spends time searching for the best pane of glass to best view the reflection of his flowing mullet. Other times he is a strong-armed force with the puck. I never knew what to expect from Robert Lang. He is The Enigma. " - A2Y

#7 Chelios57

Chelios57

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:30 AM

I think it's great. Passionate fans who've had enough. I don't blame 'em.
Atlanta Thrashers: 1999-2011

WINTER CLASSIC 2013

"When you want to measure yourself, you don't measure yourself against, no disrespect to TORONTO or any other team that I can think of right now, you measure yourself against the Detroit Red Wings. They are the best in the league, and whether they won last year's Cup or didn't win last year's Cup, they're the measuring stick." - Bruce Boudreau

#8 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:02 AM

I wonder how many of them were crying and complaining about the management the day they signed Jeff Carter. It's not like there wasn't an effort to improve the team this past offseason, they added a key forward and defensemen. Sorry injuries have been keeping both off the ice but that's not really the fault of the team's management, what exactly do they want them to do? Thinking your team is going to go from crap to gold in half a season is unrealistic.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#9 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:59 PM

Are they also protesting that the Nationwide Arena is too big?

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#10 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,048 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:13 PM

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#11 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:37 PM

Not to get political, but that was my entire argument with the Occupy stuff last year. Get in position to do something, or else they'd just be the "flavor of the month" with the media and get forgotten... Where are they now?
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#12 Hockeytown Red Wings

Hockeytown Red Wings

Buckeye & Red Wing fanatic

• Silver Booster
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:52 AM

Not to get political, but that was my entire argument with the Occupy stuff last year. Get in position to do something, or else they'd just be the "flavor of the month" with the media and get forgotten... Where are they now?

So every season ticket holder should quit their day job and apply for team president? Seize Howson, burn him at the stake, and complete the hostile takeover by making team decisions by committee.

People are paying for entertainment, a service of the competitive nature, knowing that there is no guarantee of positive results. But you do expect things to get better and for there to be a direction in place at some point.

Otherwise, you have two options, only one of which had been exercised until now. Stop showing up and giving them your money, which they have done in increasing increments over the years. Or you can organize, get some recognition, and put some public pressure for something to be done. Will it actually result in anything? Maybe that is just a pipe dream. But to say a group of fans getting together to announce their displeasure is anything but "getting of their butt" seems to be pretty backwards to me.

I'm quite aware of how easy I have things being a Red Wings fan. It's almost like having a pass to display extreme confidence even in managerial decisions you're not entirely sure of. I have lived on the other side of the coin for a lot of my life as a Tigers (I was a Tigers fan before 2006) and Lions fan(I was a Lions fan before 2011).

"During Robert Lang’s time in Detroit, he caused me anguish. Other times he brought me and my family great joy. Robert Lang occasionally coasts, and spends time searching for the best pane of glass to best view the reflection of his flowing mullet. Other times he is a strong-armed force with the puck. I never knew what to expect from Robert Lang. He is The Enigma. " - A2Y

#13 Hack & Whack Rule!

Hack & Whack Rule!

Goofy Wingnut

• PipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:06 AM

So every season ticket holder should quit their day job and apply for team president? Seize Howson, burn him at the stake, and complete the hostile takeover by making team decisions by committee.

People are paying for entertainment, a service of the competitive nature, knowing that there is no guarantee of positive results. But you do expect things to get better and for there to be a direction in place at some point.

Otherwise, you have two options, only one of which had been exercised until now. Stop showing up and giving them your money, which they have done in increasing increments over the years. Or you can organize, get some recognition, and put some public pressure for something to be done. Will it actually result in anything? Maybe that is just a pipe dream. But to say a group of fans getting together to announce their displeasure is anything but "getting of their butt" seems to be pretty backwards to me.

I'm quite aware of how easy I have things being a Red Wings fan. It's almost like having a pass to display extreme confidence even in managerial decisions you're not entirely sure of. I have lived on the other side of the coin for a lot of my life as a Tigers (I was a Tigers fan before 2006) and Lions fan(I was a Lions fan before 2011).

Well, that just doesn't make sense...they should apply for the job first, then quit their day job when an offer comes along. If they can't get that job, it sounds like they might not be qualified.

You're right about one thing...they can stop showing up and giving up their money. There is no other option. Why public pressure? Is the team owned by the public? Most people, including me, haven't got a single clue as to what happens behind the closed doors of an NHL team. While some things might be made public, others are not. If you don't like what's going on, hit them in the pocketbook. People who protest about a hockey team's lack of success are just looking for attention. I guess it worked...kind of. I think they look pretty silly when you compare them to all the protesters in the Middle East last year.
Uhh...you might want to duck!

#14 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,082 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:24 AM

I wish there would have been a picture of all seven of them getting fired up.

you win.
Posted Image

#15 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:35 AM

Protesting something like a sports team or a corporate activity (where the average person does not have any avenue to power to change things) makes sense. Protesting politics is really pretty limited in usefulness, since people can run for office, or withold votes, etc. Protesting should be for when you really have no say in a system.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#16 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:24 PM

Protesting politics is really pretty limited in usefulness, since people can run for office, or withold votes, etc. Protesting should be for when you really have no say in a system.

Like the comments above, not to get too political, but the people of the US really don't have any say in the current system. (unless of course those "people" are actually multimillion dollar corporations, then they have a say)

#17 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:39 PM

With all the s*** talking on LGW concerning our management and their roster decisions i'm surprised we don't have a protest! I suppose we should all run for front office positions now... wait...

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#18 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:15 PM

Sportsnet.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#19 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:25 PM

Sportsnet.

lol, based on what Gary, their awesome GM?

#20 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,940 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:17 AM

Sportsnet.

Kiss of death.