• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 under_par_00

under_par_00

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:24 PM

What do you think of Jeff Carter? Lots of talk of the Blue Jackets looking to trade him. The only downside is the 10 year contract, but he is only 27, and $5mil might not be that much in 10 years. The BJs traded Voracek and a 1st that turned into Couturier. Holland could realistically trade for him.

#2 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:33 PM

Carter would probably lead this team in Goals. I say yay :thumbup:

#3 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:17 AM

No. Two long contracts is enough.

#4 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:29 AM

I dunno, if you look at it in 5 year blocks then 5M/yr for the first 5 is good value for a 30-40 goal guy. Hed only be 33. The next 5 years would be dodgy but youd probably get decent value for two or three of them. Youre really only talking about a bad cap hit for the final 2 or 3 years of his deal. And a lot can happen to a franchise in 7-8 years.

Im more worried about his character coming into question than the contract, to be honest.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#5 T-Ruff

T-Ruff

BAMF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:49 AM

I'd definitely love to acquire him. It is a long contract but in a few years it will be great value and it already is if he even just stays a 30 goal scorer (and he could easily surpass that). The new CBA also has the potential to roll back salaries and cut long contracts down which minimizes the risk in that way as well. I see him as a prime target for the Leafs, haven't thought about him coming here but I like the idea.

#6 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:18 AM

I don't know that I have a reason to dislike the guy. But I do believe where there is smoke, there is fire. There was a lot of talk about issues in the Philadelphia dressing room with this guy, and Richards. Detroit doesn't need someone rocking the boat in the room. Plus the contract, is a lot to seriously consider. Personally I would pass. I like what we have. I think the pieces this team needs are smaller in nature then a large signing like Carter.
lighten up people, it's the internet!

#7 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:59 AM

He had attitude issues in Philly, and he's had attitude issues in Columbus as well. I think that regardless of what we may feel about him, this is going to warn Holland away from trading him.

#8 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:31 AM

He had attitude issues in Philly, and he's had attitude issues in Columbus as well. I think that regardless of what we may feel about him, this is going to warn Holland away from trading him.

I agree. Character matters--especially when it's such a long-term, expensive contract.

Also, I don't think he's the type of player who'd play with enough heart in the playoffs.

#9 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:58 AM

I think all the people who hate Franzen around here would hate Carter pretty much just as much if not more.

As long a contract, for more money, for a guy that is just as streaky and haven't proven to be half as good in the playoffs as Franzen.

Pass.

#10 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:30 AM

I think he would be a good fit here, but honestly I believe there is zero chance of him coming here now.

I still say the most logical result for the bj's is to trade him straight for Richards in LA.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#11 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:01 AM

I would pass. I really like the idea of getting a sniper for this team but Jeff Carter is very streaky and is rumoured to have attitude problems. I want someone that will come aboard and work at 110% every night. I think that this team needs to have some more players that have that work ethic. We have too many players that coast through parts of the season and I think Carter would just be another one. If we could find a Morrow type that would score 30-40 per sign me up!

#12 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:04 AM

I think he is someone who I can see Holland aquiring as he is a little easier to get for multiple reasons, but he`d already have a trade lined up for him to be shipped right out before Carter can even say Detroit.

Edited by 13dangledangle, 08 February 2012 - 10:06 AM.

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#13 Hairy Lime

Hairy Lime

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:17 AM

Anybody who thinks that Carter would not be a great addition(and give Detroit that much-needed right-handed sniper)probably needs to watch another sport. Hockey is not your game. Character/Attitude problems? Well, I guess LA should of traded Kobe Bryant years ago? I will admit, I like players with good character, but I also like to win... and besides, the worse thing I heard about Carter is that he likes to chase teammate's wife's. If you have a faithful wife, you have nothing to worry about. Would I rather have a player like Bobby Ryan? Sure, but the price would be a lot steeper.

One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch. Get 'er done, Kenny!

#14 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:17 AM

Im torn on this, I like Carter because he is from my hometown and I want to see him succeed in the NHL and I think he would be a great fit on the Wings. At the same time, the alleged off-ice stuff, contract length, and injuries kinda scare me off.

in the end, I would not be upset if Kenny made him a Red Wing.

It would probably take a 1st + one of Tatar/Nyqvist and a current roster player to get him here. Probably more since its in the same division/conference.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#15 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:44 AM

Anybody who thinks that Carter would not be a great addition(and give Detroit that much-needed right-handed sniper)probably needs to watch another sport. Hockey is not your game. Character/Attitude problems? Well, I guess LA should of traded Kobe Bryant years ago? I will admit, I like players with good character, but I also like to win... and besides, the worse thing I heard about Carter is that he likes to chase teammate's wife's. If you have a faithful wife, you have nothing to worry about. Would I rather have a player like Bobby Ryan? Sure, but the price would be a lot steeper.

If you've ever watched Carter and still think he'd be a great addition (especially considering the cost it would take) then you're the one who needs to watch another sport. This guy plays predominantly on the perimeter, never bears down when the going gets difficult, and quits on plays more often than not. He is extremely overrated.

People always are so pumped to trade for 'superstars' but if you look back on so many deals that have been made league wide for these supposed upper echelon type guys the team that receives the package almost always wins - provided there isn't some outside factor in trading the player (i.e Kovalchuk as a pending UFA that wasnt going to re-sign).

To me, Jeff Carter would be a mistake on so many levels it's not even funny
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#16 Hairy Lime

Hairy Lime

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:04 PM

If you've ever watched Carter and still think he'd be a great addition (especially considering the cost it would take) then you're the one who needs to watch another sport. This guy plays predominantly on the perimeter, never bears down when the going gets difficult, and quits on plays more often than not. He is extremely overrated.

People always are so pumped to trade for 'superstars' but if you look back on so many deals that have been made league wide for these supposed upper echelon type guys the team that receives the package almost always wins - provided there isn't some outside factor in trading the player (i.e Kovalchuk as a pending UFA that wasnt going to re-sign).

To me, Jeff Carter would be a mistake on so many levels it's not even funny

I have seen him play, and numbers(and my eyes) don't lie - he's a pure goal scorer. Does he need to work on his attitude and his all-around game? Sure. But I remember a time when Yzerman didn't play defense, either.

He's a young guy; give him time. You're pretty quick to right off a guy, aren't you. Also, I'm not suggesting giving up a whole lot. Carter wants out of Columbus, so if they ask for too much, walk away. But for Holland to not at least test the water would be asinine.

#17 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:25 PM

He'd be a great addition if he didn't have that bloated contract and wasn't a raging douchenozzle.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#18 ace76

ace76

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:27 PM

I didn't know about the wife chasing or dressing room crap on Carter, but if it's true we don't need someone like that as a distraction going into the playoffs . Our guys need to concentrate on one thing, WINNING. Besides, our offence has the talent . I think Holland needs to find a decent back up goalie or bye bye cup run.

#19 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

This X 10!
Character wins cups. I want no part of Jeff Carter
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#20 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:42 PM

Bobby Ryan would NOT command a lot steeper price than Carter. Carter is 6.2 next year, Bobby Ryan is 5.5..Unless Bobby Ryan gets a hatty in the next 30 games, rest assured, Carter's pricetag is bigger. As the saying goes, One bad apple does spoil the bunch and Carter is a selffish prima donna who is not a team guy. Detroit does not subscribe to the bullshart that Carter brings.
Maybe YOU need to watch another sport!
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!