• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Axe

The Next Move

Rate this topic

What I am hoping seeing as everything seems bleak:

The Wings tank, that Cleary, Eaves, and Bert all over achieve, and that the Wings sell them for 1st rounders at the deadline.

I don't think we need to panic just yet. Think about what it feels like right now to be a Preds or Devils fan. They lost two franchise players. The Wings made their pitch, and Parise and Suter decided to go elsewhere.

I agree that the Wings have a huge hole to fill on the blue line. Let's give them some time and come training camp, let's see who is out there. I'm glad they didn't try to lure Carle with the money he got from Tampa.

Ideally, I'd like to see them go after Semin and Doan (to reasonable contracts), and see if they can trade for a top 4 defenseman.

I don't think we need to panic just yet. Think about what it feels like right now to be a Preds or Devils fan. They lost two franchise players. The Wings made their pitch, and Parise and Suter decided to go elsewhere.

I agree that the Wings have a huge hole to fill on the blue line. Let's give them some time and come training camp, let's see who is out there. I'm glad they didn't try to lure Carle with the money he got from Tampa.

Ideally, I'd like to see them go after Semin and Doan (to reasonable contracts), and see if they can trade for a top 4 defenseman.

The Wings lost a generational talent... Generational talent>>>>Franchise players. Sorry but the Wings are still in a worse spot than either of the Preds or the Devils.

I have no clue. All i know is his agent has supposedly been in contact with Holland.

I didn't actually see that information included in the story that was linked in the message you're talking about. So who knows if it's true. I have to think that Doan would want to play somewhere close to his Arizona ranch, though if he wants to get out of the division, I suppose we'd have a shot. Too bad he's waiting til the 9th to decide, because I do think having him or Semin (I doubt both happens) would give Detroit a solid 4 lines. But it'd be tough to commit to Semin when thinking Doan is a possibility.

Someone brought up Komisarek as well and I wouldn't be opposed to taking a chance on him. I wrote elsewhere: worst case scenario is he costs us $3 mil / year to be our number 6/7...best case scenario: he plays like he did with Markov back in Montreal.

Failing that, I would hope for a depth guy who is okay being the 7th d-man. Unfortunately Commodore didn't seem to accept that. This is another left-field suggestion, but I've been wondering about Jeff Finger. I know he's been buried in the AHL because of his contract, but he had some good years in Colorado -- he just couldn't live up to the contract that he never should have received in Toronto! He's a Michigan native, shoots right, and I bet he'd play for much less, on a one or two year deal. I see him as a replacement of sorts for Doug Janik.

While I agree it's definitely not time to fully panic there is some serious concern. You mentioned it could be worse, we could be the preds or the devils who actually lost an elite level player off their roster. While this is true, I believe we can all agree that the wings lost possibly the best defenseman of ALL-TIME this off season. Sure it was to retirement as opposed to free agency but lost nonetheless. While I feel for the preds and devils today I honestly dont care as we are fans of the wings and not them. The truth is that the state of this team is not horrific like a Toronto, Montreal or Columbus but it is in some serious jeopardy.

Pav and Hank are clearly great but for how much longer? Howard is good but how good and how much is he going to want next year? Filpulla is solid but if he has another decent year i can only imagine what his next contract will look like considering todays market, in my opinion hes good but not the future. Kronwall is our best dman but he's probably hit about as good as he is going to get. Now, outside of the five I just mentioned the rest are just solid role players either in their prime like helm or past their prime like the bertuzzi's and cleary's of the world.

As far as prospects, smith will probably be a top 4 d and if all goes well a top 2 d. After that there are no sure fire top 6 f/top 4 d in the system. Sure there are the Nyquist,Tatar, sheahan, jarnkrok in the system but from what we've seen or been told mid level NHL players is probably their ceiling at best and that's probably best case scenario. There is no star in waiting in the system with smith hopefully being the exception and I know all you out there will give me the whole finding a gem in the 6/7th rounds like Pav and hank. The problem is that is few and far between and there is no way to ever bank on that happening often if at all for a while.

I guess what I'm saying is if the wings truly want to be contendors without a monster rebuild like the oilers of the world it might be time to open the doors to ALL trade possibilities. As much as I love to watch our stars play I truly believe trading Hank to a team like the Rangers or Flyers could bring back assets that could assure being competitive for a long time.

While I'm no gm and just a passionate fan I believe something big has got give for this team to remain an actual true top 10 contender. I hope kh has something up his sleeve but I just don't see it so I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

As far as prospects, smith will probably be a top 4 d and if all goes well a top 2 d. After that there are no sure fire top 6 f/top 4 d in the system. Sure there are the Nyquist,Tatar, sheahan, jarnkrok in the system but from what we've seen or been told mid level NHL players is probably their ceiling at best and that's probably best case scenario. There is no star in waiting in the system with smith hopefully being the exception and I know all you out there will give me the whole finding a gem in the 6/7th rounds like Pav and hank. The problem is that is few and far between and there is no way to ever bank on that happening often if at all for a while.

Ouellet and Sproul are looking like top 4 dmen, but are likely 3-4 years away from nhl duty. Almqvist gets a shot this season in GR. Backman and Jensen could be close to getting a look in GR. Id say our prospect strength is pretty spread. Its just our forwards are 1-2 years away whereas our dmen are 3-4 years away from coming into fruition.

Guest Hatethedrake!

I'd sign Semin. Take a chance on all that talent. He WANTS to come here. Unlike Parise and Suter. I hope, given his agent's comments that Doan also WANTS to come here. Those 2 would take care of our offense. However, what worries me is our blueline. We have 6 dmen right now. If we are giving up assets like Flip then we must target Yandle. Even if we don't get Semin but we do get Doan then I would be happy. But other than Yandle, I don't know who is worth acquiring who is actually on the block. I don't even really know if Yandle is. This sucks big time. Kenny has NO leverage and the rest of the league KNOWS it.

I didn't actually see that information included in the story that was linked in the message you're talking about. So who knows if it's true. I have to think that Doan would want to play somewhere close to his Arizona ranch, though if he wants to get out of the division, I suppose we'd have a shot. Too bad he's waiting til the 9th to decide, because I do think having him or Semin (I doubt both happens) would give Detroit a solid 4 lines. But it'd be tough to commit to Semin when thinking Doan is a possibility.

Someone brought up Komisarek as well and I wouldn't be opposed to taking a chance on him. I wrote elsewhere: worst case scenario is he costs us $3 mil / year to be our number 6/7...best case scenario: he plays like he did with Markov back in Montreal.

Failing that, I would hope for a depth guy who is okay being the 7th d-man. Unfortunately Commodore didn't seem to accept that. This is another left-field suggestion, but I've been wondering about Jeff Finger. I know he's been buried in the AHL because of his contract, but he had some good years in Colorado -- he just couldn't live up to the contract that he never should have received in Toronto! He's a Michigan native, shoots right, and I bet he'd play for much less, on a one or two year deal. I see him as a replacement of sorts for Doug Janik.

Acquiring Komisarek would be an interesting move. I wouldn't be opposed to it necessarily, however my first choice for the #7 D would be Jim Vandermeer. I'm sure he'd be happy with around $1 mil, and he knows his role and plays it well. Blocks shots, clears the crease, and protects his teammates.

I think Finger is a bust, and if we were to acquire him, he'd be nothing more than a call-up from GR. There are better options.

I disagree.

Semin has all the makings of a 40 to 50 goal scorer - just that he's a bit of a lazy ******, and has been a part of the Caps organization under Boudreau for too long.

He's proven to be much more explosive than Hudler in the past, but I'm pretty sure he made $6.7 mil last year. He's gonna want a raise or near the 6.7 mark, which is absolutely ludicrous. In addition, I think he's gonna want a longer term contract.

While I agree it's definitely not time to fully panic there is some serious concern. You mentioned it could be worse, we could be the preds or the devils who actually lost an elite level player off their roster. While this is true, I believe we can all agree that the wings lost possibly the best defenseman of ALL-TIME this off season. Sure it was to retirement as opposed to free agency but lost nonetheless. While I feel for the preds and devils today I honestly dont care as we are fans of the wings and not them. The truth is that the state of this team is not horrific like a Toronto, Montreal or Columbus but it is in some serious jeopardy.

Pav and Hank are clearly great but for how much longer? Howard is good but how good and how much is he going to want next year? Filpulla is solid but if he has another decent year i can only imagine what his next contract will look like considering todays market, in my opinion hes good but not the future. Kronwall is our best dman but he's probably hit about as good as he is going to get. Now, outside of the five I just mentioned the rest are just solid role players either in their prime like helm or past their prime like the bertuzzi's and cleary's of the world.

I guess what I'm saying is if the wings truly want to be contendors without a monster rebuild like the oilers of the world it might be time to open the doors to ALL trade possibilities. As much as I love to watch our stars play I truly believe trading Hank to a team like the Rangers or Flyers could bring back assets that could assure being competitive for a long time.

While I'm no gm and just a passionate fan I believe something big has got give for this team to remain an actual true top 10 contender. I hope kh has something up his sleeve but I just don't see it so I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

I agree with what you are saying as well. There are holes In the team at this time, but the season has only been over for a couple of weeks and free agency has only been going on for a week now. Let's just see what the team looks like when training camp opens. Remember, this team was in the running for the presidents cup with a couple of weeks left in the season. Lidstrum is irreplaceable.

I agree with what you are saying as well. There are holes In the team at this time, but the season has only been over for a couple of weeks and free agency has only been going on for a week now. Let's just see what the team looks like when training camp opens. Remember, this team was in the running for the presidents cup with a couple of weeks left in the season. Lidstrum is irreplaceable.

Sorry I have to do it, LidstrUm... Really?

Well guys, don't expect Holland to be doing much else this off-season, if what he said in this canada.com article hold true. Here are some particular gems:

If you look at the players we have, other than just paying more . . . . ,” Holland said before cutting himself off. “There’s also got to be an opportunity for some of our kids and the guys we’ve just signed to play. “It’s not a high profile, big-star team that we’ve had in the past. We made our pitch the last three days and it didn’t fall in our favour.” Holland said he’s not going to panic into rash moves and believes the Wings still are a playoff contender as is.
Regardless of whatever signings or trades he makes, Holland said part of the solution has to be internal growth.

“We’re looking at Quincey, Ericsson, Smith, Nyquist developing,” Holland said.

“We have to have internal growth and development. That has to be part of the solution.

“We need one defenceman, we’d like to have a veteran. Up front, we’ll have be offence by committee.”

Has this guy just lost it? Is he in denial or just that out of touch? We're STILL a playoff contender, given how the team is now? Is that a joke? Need to rely on Quincey and Ericsson developing? They're gonna solve our defensive issues? And apparently, despite the departure of two of our top D-men, we only need ONE defenseman.

Can not understand how people still stand behind this guy.

Edited by ShanahanMan

Well guys, don't expect Holland to be doing much else this off-season, if what he said in this canada.com article hold true. Here are some particular gems:

[/font][/color]

Has this guy just lost it? Is he in denial or just that out of touch? We're STILL a playoff contender, given how the team is now? Is that a joke? Need to rely on Quincey and Ericsson developing? They're gonna solve our defensive issues? And apparently, despite the departure of two of our top D-men, we only need ONE defenseman.

With someone as Bert in you're avatar, I find it funny you are ripping Kenny lol. just saying

Guest Hatethedrake!

Trade Flip, Nyquist and a 1st for Yandle. Sign Doan and Semin...

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Alexander Semin ($6.000m)

Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Shane Doan ($5.000m)

Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)

Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Damien Brunner ($1.350m)

DEFENSEMEN

Keith Yandle ($5.250m) / Ian White ($2.875m)

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)

Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.250m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,708,712; BONUSES: $425,000

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $491,288

Edited by Hatethedrake!

With someone as Bert in you're avatar, I find it funny you are ripping Kenny lol. just saying

Fair point. Have had this avatar for the last 3 years, maybe time for a change :P.

In all honesty, I was as pissed at the Bert extension as the next guy. In a few years, we're looking at most of our core guys being mid to late 30's!

:shock:

Edited by ShanahanMan

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) /Alexander Semin ($6.700m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) /Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m)

Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) /Damien Brunner ($1.350m)

Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Danny Cleary ($2.800m) /Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)

Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Keith Yandle ($5.250m)

Ian White ($2.875m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.250m) Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)

------CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter) (these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion) SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,079,167; BONUSES: $462,500 CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $6,120,833

Sign semin, re-sign quincey, trade franzen, emmerton and maybe picks/prospects for yandle.

This gives you a solid top 6, freaky fast 3rd line and a physical 4th line. All 4 lines can also produce. The defense would also be relatively good.

There's still 6 million available to either save up or go for a guy like Doan/Mueller.

I would be very pleased with this roster. I think it would be a good cup contender.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) /Alexander Semin ($6.700m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) /Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m)

Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) /Damien Brunner ($1.350m)

Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Danny Cleary ($2.800m) /Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)

Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Keith Yandle ($5.250m)

Ian White ($2.875m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.250m) Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)

------CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter) (these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion) SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,079,167; BONUSES: $462,500 CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $6,120,833

Sign semin, re-sign quincey, trade franzen, emmerton and maybe picks/prospects for yandle.

This gives you a solid top 6, freaky fast 3rd line and a physical 4th line. All 4 lines can also produce. The defense would also be relatively good.

There's still 6 million available to either save up or go for a guy like Doan/Mueller.

I would be very pleased with this roster. I think it would be a good cup contender.

Yeah, just posted on another board with pretty much the same scenario. This is pretty much what HAS to be done to salvage next season. Trading for Ryan/Nash will be impossible, considering what we'll have to give up to trade for Yandle.

As soon as business starts tomorrow, he should hammer Maloney's phone, trying to make it happen. If he doesn't, I guarantee someone else will.

Yeah, just posted on another board with pretty much the same scenario. This is pretty much what HAS to be done to salvage next season. Trading for Ryan/Nash will be impossible, considering what we'll have to give up to trade for Yandle.

As soon as business starts tomorrow, he should hammer Maloney's phone, trying to make it happen. If he doesn't, I guarantee someone else will.

Exactly. And adding to my last scenario, it would be nice to get another top 6 guy (like Doan or Mueller) and bump Bert to the 4th line and have him wreck s*** with tootoo.

[/font][/color]

Almost agree with you. There's been terms before where i've questioned Holland. I still think he's a great GM, but he's sat on his hands far too often the last couple years for my liking.

We don't need a veteran defenceman. At least, that's not the long term answer. We need a younger guy who's been around a couple years, and who can star on this team for years to come. (SEE: Keith Yandle)

Offence by committee? yeah that worked real well the last 2 months of the season when we couldnt score more than a goal a game.

We have cap room, we have a ton of forwards, lets do something, or we'll be 7/8 in the west at best.