• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest Johnz96

New CBA

Rate this topic

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Johnz96

Every time the CBA has expired there has been a lockout. What happens when the new CBA expires?

Guest irishock

This is the NHL we're talkin' about. Logic and reason is undefined.

Edited by irishock

There are several ways to prevent a lock-out at the end of the next CBA.

Off the top of my head:

Global nuclear disaster

Alien invasion

Obliteration of the earth by meteorite

The Second Coming of Christ

Global warming to the point that ice is non-existant

Maple Leafs win the Cup (c.f. Signs of the Apocalypse)

However, if the earth is still present, rotating, and inhabited, the only thing that would prevent a lockout is intelligent leadership by hockey-loving professionals who care about the game and are willing to work together for the good of it.

Personally, I think the imminent Invasion of the Mayan Lizard Aliens is more likely.

Guest Johnz96

If Bettman is still commissioner, yes. Losing the entire season in 2005 didn't change his negotiating style, why would this lockout?

Personally I think that if there is a significant decline in revenue, Bettman won't be around at the end of the new CBA. The owners are counting on him being right that the fans love the game too much and will be right back again like the previous times. But i think the fans are angrier this time (3x in a row!!!) this time and the economy isn't as strong.

It would be a great marketing move by the NHL to fire him as an appeasement to fans.

And I would finally be able to buy a Red Wings' Konstantinov sweater..

I ordered a CSKA Datsyuk sweater from Lutch (official manufactrer's of the KHL) a few weeks ago. It was only $85.00

I thought every body would answer no to the Poll question but I guess you're right the things they do just don't make sense and for the same reason Bettman might not get fired if there is significant revewnue decline but all we can do is try and both scenarios are much more likely if we do. We have to be vigilant.

He is the worst thing to ever happen to the game of hockey

So many fans are frustrated and outraged because we are powerless in this whole labor dispute and rightfully so considering we are the source of the HRR they are fighting over.

I see so many people starting petitions and protests (and from the start I kept telling everyone that they are useless they don't care about us) to no avail.

Fans venting their frustrations arguing with each over who is at fault.

They have done this every time the CBA has expired.

Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about this season.

But we can make sure they don't do it again when the new CBA expires.

If Bettman is still commissioner, yes. Losing the entire season in 2005 didn't change his negotiating style, why would this lockout?

We came back in record numbers last time, I think that has made Bettman and the owners even more cocky and confident about winning this thing, They think we love the game too much to stay away. I love the game too much to come back until he is fired, I just wish that there were more fans that loved it as much as I do. We have to make sacrifices for greater gains.

Edited by Johnz96

I don't think they'd lock out at the next expiration of the CBA because the NHL cannot afford to, reputation-wise and fan-wise. If, by some form of insanity that Bettman is still in charge, I just don't think he can risk a 4th lockout. The NHL cannot take another black eye and fans can only put up with so much (as was the case on the previous 3 lockouts). I'm realistic about future CBA's, but I hope both sides approve the next CBA framework a year prior to avoid this very situation.

Guest Johnz96

Headline is a bit misleading

Yeah sorry, I thought so too and tried to edit right after posting it but didn't know how to edit the title. I was gonna change it to What Happens When When the New CBA Expires?

Would be great if a moderator could do it please.

Guest Johnz96

I don't think they'd lock out at the next expiration of the CBA because the NHL cannot afford to, reputation-wise and fan-wise. If, by some form of insanity that Bettman is still in charge, I just don't think he can risk a 4th lockout. The NHL cannot take another black eye and fans can only put up with so much (as was the case on the previous 3 lockouts). I'm realistic about future CBA's, but I hope both sides approve the next CBA framework a year prior to avoid this very situation.

But that's what everybody said last time and we came back in record numbers. We missed it and they knew(know?) it and needed our fix

I think we as fans and customers should show them that we don't appreciate the lockouts and ensure that they don't do it again next time by the only means that they will actually care.

If we come back and there isn't a significant drop in revenues, he will still be in charge.

By the way I noticed you're from Grand Rapids. The Griffs totally dominated tonight a 3-0 win but the score was not indicative of just how dominating they were

Edited by Johnz96

However, if the earth is still present, rotating, and inhabited, the only thing that would prevent a lockout is intelligent leadership by hockey-loving professionals who care about the game and are willing to work together for the good of it.

we need people who loved the game growing up, not basketball and baseball lawyers

and if fehr is still head of the pa, you can be sure that there will be another lockout. i think this latest blow up in talks really showed how the owners truly hate fehr. both need to go or else another lockout is guaranteed.

We came back in record numbers last time, I think that has made Bettman and the owners even more cocky and confident about winning this thing

the same exact thing can be said about the players.

they can't even figure out how to get a new cba after record revenues. i can't even imagine what would happen if there is declining revenue coming off the new cba

By the way I noticed you're from Grand Rapids. The Griffs totally dominated tonight a 3-0 win but the score was not indicative of just how dominating they were

Nice. The Griffins are tearing it up after such a terrible start (1-5) and then an 8 game win streak.

Regardless of whether revenues go up or down, there will be a lockout. Revenues go up - owners want more of an even bigger cake. Revenues go down, owners want more of the cake so their total profit doesn't go down.

But that's what everybody said last time and we came back in record numbers. We missed it and they knew(know?) it and needed our fix

I think we as fans and customers should show them that we don't appreciate the lockouts and ensure that they don't do it again next time by the only means that they will actually care.

If we come back and there isn't a significant drop in revenues, he will still be in charge.

Exactly the point, as long as the same old bastards are being in charge and running the stupid BOG there will be another lockout. Some of the owners are a greedy as hell bunch, they will always ask for more. Want evidence for that?

PA agreed to a split and then the NHL created their ridiculous contract restrictions, they are nev er happy and will lose every tactic to get their will.

So unless the NHL is seeing a huge drop in revenue and half empty arenas, they are going the lockout street every 5 years.

There is no evidence that there would not be lockout, after lockout, after lockout with the signing of the next Collective Bargaining Agreement. He is of the firm belief that the lockout is a better tool than traditional bargaining. It's part of Uncle Gary's psyche, his "Napoleon complex" if you will.

Fun fact, for those who say that Mr. Fehr is the reason for this most recent lockout: he wasn't head of the NHLPA for the first two lockouts.

Put the blame at the feat of the little of person who turns the lockout key.

The commissioner has no understanding of what it means to be a hockey fan. If he did, he would show some sort of understanding for the fans after not only one, but potentially two seasons go down the drain. Nothing will change if he is still in place when the next CBA expires.

Guest Johnz96

There is no evidence that there would not be lockout, after lockout, after lockout with the signing of the next Collective Bargaining Agreement. He is of the firm belief that the lockout is a better tool than traditional bargaining. It's part of Uncle Gary's psyche, his "Napoleon complex" if you will.

Fun fact, for those who say that Mr. Fehr is the reason for this most recent lockout: he wasn't head of the NHLPA for the first two lockouts.

Let's get that pariah out of our sport

we need people who loved the game growing up, not basketball and baseball lawyers

I would love that, but it seems extremely unlikely. I posted an article in the lockout thread that talks about how the 4 major sports are represented by the same law firm in these negotiations. These 3 lockouts in three different sports is not a coincidence. And both Bettman and Stern worked at this firm.

So you're talking about one law firm that has major interests that have nothing to do with the sport itself and certainly not their fans.

and if fehr is still head of the pa, you can be sure that there will be another lockout. i think this latest blow up in talks really showed how the owners truly hate fehr. both need to go or else another lockout is guaranteed.

I'm fine with Fehr going. This lockout has gotten beyond absurd and he is partly to blame.

But Bettman has had two lockouts without Fehr, so if he stays I don't think it matters who's head of the NHLPA.

they can't even figure out how to get a new cba after record revenues. i can't even imagine what would happen if there is declining revenue coming off the new cba

That's what makes this stupidest of all. This league can't seem to succeed in spite of itself. Every time it's poised to take another significant step, there's a lockout.

fehr is one of the reasons for this most recent lockout and you can be sure he will be a huge reason there will be another lockout in the future even if bettman isn't around. i think it's pretty clear now that the owners seem to have a personal hate of fehr and i don't see that changing anytime soon.

if both sides truly cared about the state of the game, they would clean house after this lockout is over and try to start anew, a working relationship that isn't so dysfunctional that the only way progress is made, is when the leaders of both sides aren't in the negotiating room.

There will be another lockout because Bettman isn't adressing the main issue that would fix things, revenue sharing. Bettman would rather crush the PA then revenue share. If he doesn't want to revenue share, he should move the bankrupt teams to better markets, or get rid of the Cap/Floor. He can't have things both ways.

That's what makes this stupidest of all. This league can't seem to succeed in spite of itself. Every time it's poised to take another significant step, there's a lockout.

Right, Bettman had a lockout after the 1993-94 when the game was more popular then the NBA, and now a lockout after record revenues.

Lawyers, who needs 'em :lol:

Like it has been said, if you blame Fehr you are wrong.

According to Bettman it has been 1000's of players and their reps killing the NHL for years.

According to facts, the league has increased revenue to record amounts, inspite of 1 lawyer and 30 owners mismanagement.

That said, with this round of give-backs from the players to make even more money for the owners, why would they fire Bettman?

He has done everything needed to short-change players and turn teams into turnkey investments.

The owners will keep him and some players still make more than he does, so I voted yes.