• Please log in to reply
260 replies to this topic

#141 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

I can see Babcock giving helm a chance in the top 6 move Franzen to 3rd line centre but honestly that makes no sense

#142 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="kipwinger" data-cid="2338887" data-time="1357764722"><p>
 <br />
No s***, but we do have Franzen, Bertuzzi, and Cleary and none of those guys minds going to the front of the net to screen a goalie.  Pav, Z, and Brunner will do fine during the regular season, just like Z, Hudler, and Flip did last season.  But when the games become tighter and the defense is better (playoffs) they'll struggle.  Fortunately we've got more options that this. </p></blockquote>

What Franzen, Bertuzzi, and Cleary have you been watching? Franzen is the softest 240 lb man on the planet and snipes from the circles. I cant remember the last time he took a cross check in the back. Bertuzzi has a no-contact policy on his head from the league. This means we only get to watch his one handed skate around the net escapades. And Cleary fell off the face of the earth the last 2 years. He wont be a Wing too much longer. As Number9 said, we have no SNARL.

Ok I'm going to play a thought experiment.  Do you think (like everyone else does) that the 2008 playoffs were the best stretch of games that Franzen ever played?  And if you do, I want you to count the number of "snipes from the circles" he had during that stretch.  Then count the number of times he scored deflecting pucks, driving the net, or scoring in the lane (e.g. where power forward score).  Here's the video. 

For the millionth time, Franzen is at this best when he plays in the crease.  Take him out of there and he's less effective, but you're insane if you think he is too timid to be successful there.  As a matter of fact, if you look at his playoff goals and his hat tricks you have to conclude that he's MOST SUCCESSFUL when playing there. 

Note:  For those who don't feel like watching the video:  Of his 13 goals, 12 were deflections, drives, or rebound goals.  1 was a "Snipe". 

Or then there's this one...5 goals in one game...1 "snipe". 

Edited by kipwinger, 09 January 2013 - 07:33 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#143 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

And just to really drive the point home, here's two more hat tricks from Franzen.  6 goals: 5 dirty ones, 1 "snipe". 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#144 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="kipwinger" data-cid="2338912" data-time="1357775898"><p>
 <br />
Ok I'm going to play a thought experiment.  Do you think (like everyone else does) that the 2008 playoffs were the best stretch of games that Franzen ever played?  And if you do, I want you to count the number of "snipes from the circles" he had during that stretch.  Then count the number of times he scored deflecting pucks, driving the net, or scoring in the lane (e.g. where power forward score).  Here's the video. <br />
 <br />
<a href=''></a><br />
 <br />
 <br />
 <br />
For the millionth time, Franzen is at this best when he plays in the crease.  Take him out of there and he's less effective, but you're insane if you think he is too timid to be successful there.  As a matter of fact, if you look at his playoff goals and his hat tricks you have to conclude that he's MOST SUCCESSFUL when playing there. <br />
 <br />
Note:  For those who don't feel like watching the video:  Of his 13 goals, 12 were deflections, drives, or rebound goals.  1 was a "Snipe". <br />
 <br />
Or then there's this one...5 goals in one game...1 "snipe". <br />
<a href='https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f6QaXKj9h4'>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f6QaXKj9h4</a></p></blockquote>

I totally agree with you about the Franzen playoff success. He's been hurt the last 2 years, but he was money 2006 thru 2009.

#145 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

I suggested a long time ago that Franzen would be the perfect successor for Holmer's job, except for his "ability" to find new ways to get hurt.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#146 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

I suggested a long time ago that Franzen would be the perfect successor for Holmer's job, except for his "ability" to find new ways to get hurt.

The only season in which Franzen has missed significant time with injuries is the one in which he tore his ACL.  Outside of that (obviously serious injury) his games played per season is roughly in line with Datsyuk or Zetterberg...that is, mid seventies typically. 

However, I agree that he's the perfect successor for Holmer's old job, but mostly because he scores more frequently when doing it. 

#147 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="kipwinger" data-cid="2338933" data-time="1357782155"><p>
 <br />
The only season in which Franzen has missed significant time with injuries is the one in which he tore his ACL.  Outside of that (obviously serious injury) his games played per season is roughly in line with Datsyuk or Zetterberg...that is, mid seventies typically. <br />
 <br />
However, I agree that he's the perfect successor for Holmer's old job, but mostly because he scores more frequently when doing it. </p></blockquote>

I like Franzen. I just dont think he's tough.

#148 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

For everyone with dreams of Nyquist in the top 6 when the season starts, bad news for you:

http://blogs.detroit..._medium=twitter

#149 Mikeal

Mikeal

Rookie

• HoF Booster
  • 199 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

Babs had already said that pretty much.  If Nyquist didn't fit into the top 6 he wouldn't play in Detroit

#150 Jaymister

Jaymister

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,954 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

I know it wont happen, but I'd like to see Tatar on the team this year.  He's had plenty of seasoning in the AHL and has numbers very similar to Nyquist.

Franzen      Datsyuk     Nyquist

Zetterberg   Filppula      Brunner

Tatar           Helm          Samuelsson

Bertuzzi      Abdelkader  Tootoo

I would trade or cut Emmerton and use Miller as the 13th forward.  Mursak i'm not sure about, i love his speed, but he's small and doesn't have a lot of skill.  I have no idea how long Eaves will be on IR for with the concussion, but i think he might be usefull as a fill in when he recovers

White          Kronwall

Quincey      Ericsson

Colaiacovo  Smith

Kindl

I really hope they make a move at some point on D, cus this scares me a bit.

Cujo is a top 5 goalie in the league- Scott Lucidi

#151 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Brunner
Samuelsson-Flippula-Franzen
Bertuzzi-Helm-Cleary
Tootoo-Abdelkader-Miller

Kronwall-Quincey
Ericsson-White
Smith-Colaiacovo

#152 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:38 AM

Need a top 6 forward and a #1 D man and we got a nice looking team I must say

Hopefully Brunner and Smith play up to potential and Cleary isn't broken again this year

#153 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:05 AM

Does this mean Nyquist won't even be on the team?

Don't like that...

Posted Image

#154 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:20 AM

Don't like that...

That's what's being reported. 

bringit.jpg

#155 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:02 AM

Don't like that...

he's not.scheduled to start but i won't be surprised to see him play this season.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#156 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

I'm gonna be pretty sour if Mikael Samuelsson bumps Nyquist out of Detroit.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#157 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Brunner
Samuelsson-Flippula-Franzen
Bertuzzi-Helm-Cleary
Tootoo-Abdelkader-Miller

Kronwall-Quincey
Ericsson-White
Smith-Colaiacovo

I llike the top 2 lines but there has to be some tweaking with the bottom 2, there is no way that Bert and Cleary can keep up with Helm. I think one of them with Helm is fine but not both.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

#158 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

Me too but it appears as if that's somewhat the case. 

Well, I suppose Sammy will provide size, experience or hockey "savvy," and a right handed shot. 

#159 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

Apparently Babs asked Saint Nick for one more run.

http://kuklaskorner....ncho-hike-to-12

Apologies if this has been mentioned before and/or it's not true.

Me too but it appears as if that's somewhat the case. 

Well, I suppose Sammy will provide size, experience or hockey "savvy," and a right handed shot. 

After all the talk about the importance of drafting and building from within and bringing players up from the farm, and the days of stocking your top lines and pairings with quality FA pickups being over, and...(etc. ad nauseam) :sleepy:

Edited by Dabura, 10 January 2013 - 10:17 AM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#160 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

He's not bumping him "out of Detroit".

Let's face it. This season is an ugly wart on the NHL's ass.

Leave Nyquist in GR and let him tear it up with Tatar, Sheahan, Andersson, and yes, Ferraro. If you look at the larger picture of player development, it's good for these guys to be winning in the AHL, and they are. Much like the 2005/06 when Hudler and Filpulla were there.

I can eat this "season". But Nyquist better be here full time next year.  

After all the talk about the importance of drafting and building from within and bringing players up from the farm, and the days of stocking your top lines and pairings with quality FA pickups being over, and...(etc. ad nauseam) :sleepy:

It's not like we're losing Nyquist. He's just not in the plans for this joke of a season.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"