• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
dirtydangles

Next Year UFA Wish List

Rate this topic

Look at that roster. It's 300,000 OVER the cap WITHOUT including any of those guys. Even if you were able to get rid of Bert, Carlo, Em-dog, etc without buying them out, you'd be 300,000 OVER the cap. If you had to buy them out, then that's 300,000 + 1.1M or whatever OVER the cap.

It's $300K over including ~$2.86M from buying out Franzen and Samuelsson. Also, the cap next year is $64.3M, not $64M even.

Subtract that $2.86, add the $1.1M, correct the cap, and that roster is roughly $1.4M under the cap. It's doable, though getting all those guys at those prices might not be.

Not that it would happen. Franzen won't be bought out, highly unlikely he'd even be traded. Bert and Sammy would have to suck pretty bad to get a buyout. Emmy likely gets traded or lost to waivers, maybe this year if Eaves comes back. If we add a new defenseman, he probably replaces White rather than Cola, just because Cola is already signed. If Eaves is healthy, we likely keep him rather than re-sign Miller or Mursak.

But it is technically possible to do.

Given that the cap is going down, depending on our play this year I think the best move is to resign our own free agents and do nothing else. Taking on a big contract to the detriment of our depth is probably a bad idea for the next year or so.

Let me know if I'm wrong but the amnesty buyouts don't count against the cap. We get two. I'm sure someone would take Franzen on in a weaker team. Buyout Bert, Sammy. Eaves goes on IR. Emmerton and Colo could be traded with their low cap hits. This would easily fit under the cap and you could sign another forward or keep emmerton.

Why would you buy out Franzen? I don't get this. Floater or not, the guy is extra scoring which the Wings badly need, at a reasonable price.

Why would you buy out Franzen? I don't get this. Floater or not, the guy is extra scoring which the Wings badly need, at a reasonable price.

i agree- I am NOT, by any means a franzen fan....but where are we going to find someone who can put 25-30 goals in the net for his pricetag. He frustrates me like no other player but its like talk therapy ( I yell at the screen, it makes me feel better)

with that being said, I believe we are actually in great shape. We can get our roster down to be cap compliant next year without too much grief....think of Phily or the teams that have to shed 8 or 9 million. Thats a disaster.....we need a few key guys to step up (Brunner, Quincey ect) and we have a solid team despite what the critics say.

To free up cap space in order to add a #1 or #2 D-man. That's all really. That, and the term of Franzen's contract is depressing.

Edited by rick zombo

Guest The Axe

Franzen is owed close to 20 million dollars. Why is everyone overlooking that? Buying him out isnt going to happen this year. Its stupid to even suggest it.

Not sure why everyone wants to buy our Franzen...I get that his contract is long but it is at a reasonable price. Franzen was also our best goal scorer last year and can win play off games on his own.

Having Franzen on our team is far from our biggest issue.

i agree- I am NOT, by any means a franzen fan....but where are we going to find someone who can put 25-30 goals in the net for his pricetag.

- I dunno. Where did we find him?

- We don't necessarily need a man-for-man, point-for-point, pound-for-pound, one-to-one replacement, especially if we're mainly talking regular-season production.

- "Where are we going to find someone who can put 25-30 goals in the net for his pricetag" Vs. "Where are we going to find someone who can score in the playoffs (and 1. consistently, 2. in the clutch)?

Not sure why everyone wants to buy our Franzen...I get that his contract is long but it is at a reasonable price. Franzen was also our best goal scorer last year and can win play off games on his own.

It's this type of abused wife mindset that allows his poisonous attitude and play style to keep infecting the team. His goal scoring is massively overrated and his abilty to "win games on his own" not only was a little overblown, but those days are gone and any possibility of a return is out of the question as long as he's floating. Just like the beaten wife can find someone better, so can we. I don't often whip out the cap comparables, it's usually silly and not indicative of much but seriously look at this list and tell me all things considered you'd take Mule.

http://capgeek.com/comparables/?player=292

He's the only guy on the team who has a cap compable list that makes me sad.

Edited by shoobiedoobin

Guest blueadams

Edler would certainly be the biggest need right now. Cap space will be tight.

Looking to next year's free agents list, who would you make a play for?

Here are my top 5:

- Corey Perry OR Ryan Getzlaf

- Travis Zajac

- Alex Edler

- Mark Fistric

If we could pick up one of Perry/Getzlaf/Zajac it would make Franzen and Filppula expendable and they could be traded for a top dman.

The Franzen buyout talk needs to stop, its a little ridiculous. Yes, everyone wants him to be a 40 goal scorer, but he just isn't. What he IS is a reliable 25+ goal scorer at very reasonable price. With the cap going down, his contract becomes one of the most valuable on our entire team. I get that several years down the road he might not be worth what he's making, but right now it would be asinine to get red of him, especially when one of our weaknesses is reliable top 6 goal goalscoring...

Anyone else there interested in Rob Scuderi? Every team in the league will be making a pitch for Edler, and ultimately I see some team offering him way more than he's worth (he's good, but to call him great would be a stretch).

Edited by hooon