• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

daniel1

Brunner's rookie status?

Rate this topic

I've been impressed by Brunner so far this year, he seems to be a fairly complete player and has been defensively responsible as well as lighting the lamp on a consistent basis. I was worried that he would be another Brunnstrom and not live up to the hype of having had success in an overseas league but I've been pleasantly surprised.

His six goals so far leads all rookies, which bring me to my question of his eligibility for the Calder. I know the NHL put in the Makarov rule the year he won it but I'm not sure what the age restriction was? Brunner was born in 1986 so that would make him 27, is that too old to win the Calder award?

What does everyone think Brunner's ceiling is after seeing him for about a quarter of the season? I would not be surprised to see him score over 30 in a regular 82 game season, especially if he stays on Z's line. I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit 20 this in this abreviated season even.

Also, that got me thinking about who the last Red Wing to win the Calder was? I remember Barasso beating out Stevie Y in his rookie season, Feds scoring 31 in his rookie season but Eddie the Eagle "If you had a million dollars would you let me go" Belfour beating him out that year and Barret Jackass, er, Jackman being selected over Z in his rookie year (possibly the worst ever Calder selection) so, without running to Google, who can tell me the last Wing to win the Calder?

To be eligible your 26th birthday has to be after September of the NHL season of your rookie year.

Brunner turned 26 in March so he is not eligible for the Calder.

Its too bad though as he would be one of the front runners for it.

Edited by FlashyG

Guest Johnz96

To be eligible your 26th birthday has to be before September of the NHL season of your rookie year.

Brunner turned 26 in March so he is not eligible for the Calder.

Its too bad though as he would be one of the front runners for it.

We have had a lot of finalists for it though.

McCourt, Foligno, Yzerman, Fedorov, Datsyuk (I'm pretty sure) and Zetterberg.

I hate to be bold, and this opinion is definitely based on the fact that he continues to play with Datsyuk and Zetterberg, but Brunner looks like a 30 goal scorer right now (for an 82 game season anyway) and this is still his first year....Knock on wood but if this kid settles in more than he has already could he turn out to be a potential 35, maybe even 40 goal scorer? Right now it seems possible, but I think he may lack the size to ever compete at that level. He certainly has the skill though.

We have had a lot of finalists for it though.

McCourt, Foligno, Yzerman, Fedorov, Datsyuk (I'm pretty sure) and Zetterberg.

Lidstrom too, he got 60-odd points but lost out to Bure. Still can't believe that Zetterberg lost to Jackman....

There's an article of Brunner at MLive with some interesting facts and nice quotes:

Former Red Wings forward Stacy Roest played for Swiss club Rapperswil-Jona for nine seasons from 2004-12. He sent Holland an e-mail in November 2011 alerting him to Brunner.

“He said if there's one guy who can play in the NHL, it's Brunner,'' Holland said. “We got him on the radar screen, sent out e-mails to our scouts. They were aware of him anyway.

Datsyuk wasn't a finalist, Heatley won, Kovalchuk & Huselius were finalists in '02

Datsyuk just didn't get the ice time to put up the requisite numbers. He did get a place in the young stars game, though. It's hard to fault Dats... it was his first time playing such a long season.

Lidstrom too, he got 60-odd points but lost out to Bure. Still can't believe that Zetterberg lost to Jackman....

What's worse, Jackman winning in 2003 or the fact that Scott Gomez won in 2000? Or would it be Andrew Raycroft in 2004 or Steve Mason in 2009?

I hate to be bold, and this opinion is definitely based on the fact that he continues to play with Datsyuk and Zetterberg, but Brunner looks like a 30 goal scorer right now (for an 82 game season anyway) and this is still his first year....Knock on wood but if this kid settles in more than he has already could he turn out to be a potential 35, maybe even 40 goal scorer? Right now it seems possible, but I think he may lack the size to ever compete at that level. He certainly has the skill though.

Give him time to adjust to the physicality and NA game. He'll adapt. All great players do.

brunner is def a great player but he needs to increase his size and strength... he is weak, especially around the boards, and will get burned in the playoffs when the physical play picks up

I don't think so. He has only played 12 games and has already made adjustments to his game. He'll figure it out, and continue putting himself in a position to succeed. Plus, the experience & leadership in the locker room will help guide and motivate him to be a more physical player. I really think he has the makings of an elite player, I don't see him getting pushed around and being "soft" in the years to come.

Give him time to adjust to the physicality and NA game. He'll adapt. All great players do.

He won't adapt much more than he already has. He improved a lot already in his defensive game during the last 5-6 games, in that he's not just barely floating around anymore but instead at least makes some effort to attack the puck holder, or is trying to carry the puck into the offensive zone rather than just looking for a pass always or shooting it in the corner.

Is Brunner still playing in the NHL in 3 years? I think it will all and almost solely depend on his scoring record. His defensive play will play a role, meaning that if he really sucks (like in the first 2-4 games), he won't have a chance.

It could be seen from the last couple of games that his "engagement" in playing for the team was accompanied by a smaller number of shots on goal (went down from around 3-6/game to 2-4). I think that's a good thing, as long as he can still get the puck in regularly.

Physical play? Forget it! He's too old to learn these new tricks. Playing more for and with the team? Possible. (Even) score more? Well possible.

Physical play? Forget it! He's too old to learn these new tricks.

I don't see why a 26 year old shouldn't be able to still learn things and change. 26=too old? I don't get it. His statements to me clearly indicate otherwhise. They suggest he is as much willing as able to improve.

I don't see why a 26 year old shouldn't be able to still learn things and change. 26=too old?

Maybe not too old. But it's Brunner. It's just not his style.

Do you see Brunner playing a physical game anytime in the next 2-5 years?