• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,247 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

If I recall, one reason the NHLPA rejected the proposal was that they were not given ample time to research the travel aspect of the realignment. If that is the case, then there is ZERO chance this will fly.

I thought the PA requested more information about the proposal (playoff situations, travel, and other stuff like that) and the NHL took forever to send it over, by the time they did send it it was right before the PA's vote so they voted to reject it.

#22 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

Why the NHLPA rejected NHL's 2012-2013 realignment plan. - by Greg "Puck Daddy" Wyshynski (from Jan. 6th, 2012)

So why did the NHLPA refuse to endorse this plan, besides a clear disregard for the league's rights? Simple: They felt realignment was unfair and inconsiderate to the players; they weren't given a chance, in their eyes, to help create it; and it communicated that the NHLPA isn't going to be shoved around now or during the CBA talks.

According to sources with knowledge of the negotiations, the NHL didn't include the NHLPA in the formation of the realignment plan because there was no mandate in the CBA to do so. So the league created the plan, the Board of Governors passed it and the dare was made: Go ahead, kill off something that the majority of hockey teams, fans and media deemed a positive move for the NHL.

And the "long and short of it"...

Basically, the NHLPA felt that this realignment plan was created by and for the owners, and not in the best interests of the players. And when they reached out to attempt to reshape the plan to better serve their interests, that input was rejected, according to one source.

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#23 drumnj

drumnj

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

I don't understand why they can't just make it an easy fix with how the current system is setup.  No adding/removing teams, no odd number conference/divisions.  Unless they figure out some goofy 3 conference playoff system, stick with what is currently in place.

96f9dh.jpg

Dallas, Minnesota and Colorado could rotate divisions if need be.

Edited by drumnj, 13 February 2013 - 12:15 PM.

Got FSD setup with all it's glory.  Plan to have pre and post game coverage along with Wingspan and 24/7.  Youtube page: RedWingsLive1

Red Wings and Griffins Live Games Check my profile
Always looking for people to help with the site, be it coding (PHP & JS) or design work. PM me if you'd be interested.

Cleary on, Mike!
Cleary on, Ken!
Dan's World, Dan's World... Mediocrity!... Excellent!

#24 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

As far as I know NHLPA did not reject last proposal based on its merits but because they were not consulted. It is unclear if players have any issue with the realignment.

It was noted openly by several players, Lidstrom included, that the NHLPA was not OK with the 8/7 disparity.

#25 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

I don't understand why they can't just make it an easy fix with how the current system is setup.  No adding/removing teams, no odd number conference/divisions.  Unless they figure out some goofy 3 conference playoff system, stick with what is currently in place.

96f9dh.jpg

Geographically, this alignment makes sense, but I know there has been a lot of talk about keeping divisional rivalries in tact. 

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#26 drumnj

drumnj

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

keeping divisional rivalries in tact. 

Who cares, old rivalries prior to the 98-99 season were lost (and before that, 93-94).  Teams get better or worse (playoff match-ups), players of rival teams are traded away or retire.  New rivalries can always be made.

Got FSD setup with all it's glory.  Plan to have pre and post game coverage along with Wingspan and 24/7.  Youtube page: RedWingsLive1

Red Wings and Griffins Live Games Check my profile
Always looking for people to help with the site, be it coding (PHP & JS) or design work. PM me if you'd be interested.

Cleary on, Mike!
Cleary on, Ken!
Dan's World, Dan's World... Mediocrity!... Excellent!

#27 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

96f9dh.jpg

I still think it would be a lot easier to just move Winnipeg into the Northwest, bump Minnesota to the central and Nashville down to the southeast. 

#28 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

I still think it would be a lot easier to just move Winnipeg into the Northwest, bump Minnesota to the central and Nashville down to the southeast.

Not a bad idea, but Minnesota and Winnipeg want a rivalry. And it makes sense geographically.

#29 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

This could be why the league is so desperate to keep the Yotes in PHO. They'd rather expand to somewhere like QC or Seattle rather than move PHO. Because then you don't get the fat expansion fee and you still have an uneven league if you want 4 conferences. But it's obviously a bandaid that has to be ripped off eventually. May as well move the Yotes now and start looking at expansion in two new cities.

#30 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,247 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

96f9dh.jpg

This layout is actually very good... So expect Bettman not to do it

#31 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

96f9dh.jpg

The only "problem" is the NW division still spans 3 time zones, which is something realignment is trying to correct. However, you can swap Vancouver and Colorado to fix that, though that means longer travel for the Avs.

#32 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

The only "problem" is the NW division still spans 3 time zones, which is something realignment is trying to correct. However, you can swap Vancouver and Colorado to fix that, though that means longer travel for the Avs.

That's where the Saskatoon Panthers come in.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#33 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

The only way for a fair solution is an MLB-like conference set-up. With several teams in every time zone so everyone shares the misery of travel. A fair and balanced realignment based on travel distance and rivalries will not ever work 100% fairly.

However, if there is a 30 team, 3 conference (Howe, Gretzky, Lemieux) divison of 10 teams in each, geographically dispersed, it would keep most rivalries and add new ones eventually.

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Wings_Dynasty, 13 February 2013 - 04:37 PM.

HTBanner400x100.jpg

#34 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

When it comes to rivalries, screw 'em. You don't build conferences around rivalries, you build conferences around travel and time zones and let rivalries develop. Every rivalry we see now began somewhere, and many have died due to realignment (Det/Tor for example). If some have to go away to make travel easier on everyone so be it. I'm more a fan of genuine rivalries where the players dislike each other anyway, like Det/Col, rather than local stuff only fans care about. Let the chips fall where they may.

Edited by shoobiedoobin, 13 February 2013 - 04:33 PM.

#35 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

The only way for a fair solution is an MLB-like conference set-up. With several teams in every time zone so everyone shares the misery of travel. A fair and balanced realignment based on travel distance and rivalries will not ever work 100% fairly.

However, if there is a 30 team, 3 conference (Howe, Gretzky, Lemieux) divison of 10 teams in each, geographically dispersed, it would keep most rivalries and add new ones eventually.

Isn't it true that in baseball, the western division teams travel more?  I mean, they have to travel across several time zones to play both the central and eastern teams, while, the central and eastern teams only have to travel across multiple time zones when playing against the west.  They don't have to when playing among each other.  

Either way, the western teams have to travel more.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#36 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

Untitled.jpg

You'd have to also implement MLB style game series (2-3 games against one team in one location, consecutively) and true road trips, not this NHL crap where teams fly to Vancouver and then play a game at home, and then go for another distant away game. 

When is the last time, during the regular season, that teams played consecutive games in the same arena against the same opponent? 

#37 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,920 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

I don't understand what's wrong with the current setup.

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#38 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

Isn't it true that in baseball, the western division teams travel more?  I mean, they have to travel across several time zones to play both the central and eastern teams, while, the central and eastern teams only have to travel across multiple time zones when playing against the west.  They don't have to when playing among each other.  

Either way, the western teams have to travel more.  

This is true. But as it is teams in the West are have a HUGELY unfair travel sched to teams in the East. This would make it more fair to more teams.

You'd have to also implement MLB style game series (2-3 games against one team in one location, consecutively) and true road trips, not this NHL crap where teams fly to Vancouver and then play a game at home, and then go for another distant away game. 

When is the last time, during the regular season, that teams played consecutive games in the same arena against the same opponent? 

I am for that. Send the Wings out to VAN to play half the games in the season series consecutively, then return home and have another half series with a visiting team. This would probably boost ticket sales too since fans of other teams could come to DET for a few days and see a couple hockey games with their team, instead of the alternative of flying across country to see 3 hours of one game.

HTBanner400x100.jpg

#39 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

I don't understand what's wrong with the current setup.

.ask winnipeg whats wrong with it.. lol

#40 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

Finally i would get to see another Wings game in Winnipeg. Only been like 17 years...

Hey Man I am with ya on that one! If we could get tickets! lol