95 replies to this topic

#21 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,990 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

LOL

I've heard several people on LGW calling for a "house cleaning" and on top of guys like Cleary, Sammy, Kindl, Quincey, etc, I heard Mursak's name too. Basically, dump the garbage and play the guys who deserve to play.

Now they waive him, and people are losing their minds and suggesting that the team should keep Mursak and send Andersson or Tatar down because they are waiver exempt? Both these guys are better than Mursak. I think it's a good sign that they keeping A & T up and in the line-up. I think it's a good thing that this team isn't factoring in minor league waiver options when putting their line-up together. Yada yada yada. Etc etc etc,

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#22 PROBIE4PREZ

PROBIE4PREZ

In Holland I trust.

• PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

How can most of you not see the obvious? He's not a top 6 guy on ANY NHL team and is not built for grinding and mucking it up on the 3rd/4th lines. There's more viable options in GR right now like Sheahan. Dude is born to be a 3rd liner. Hoping Sheahan gets called up now.

Edited by PROBIE4PREZ, 22 February 2013 - 01:00 PM.

"I mean, the best thing for my knee, for anyone's knee, is to never play again and retire. But I'm not going to do that." o-captain my captain

#23 paulb1320

paulb1320

Prospect

• 42 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

No way he clears waivers.  I'm not sure I understand this move.  They could send Tartar or Anderson down without having to clear wiavers both have been good but aren't going to be here when everyone gets healthy.  We still have lots of forwards out so room shouldn't be an issue.  What is this all about?

Tatar >Mursak

Andersson >Mursak

Mursak was the odd man out, Mursak on waivers and Tatar in the NHL is 1000x betters than Mursak with Detroit and Tatar in GR.

They have to start trimming the fat sooner or later to make space, I'd rather they have waived Cleary but we know that's not going to happen. It's not like Mursak is anything special, and if it means Tatar finally gets a permanent spot with the Wings I'm all for it.

He'll be picked up, Good Luck Jan. Hopefully he can stay healthy and secure a spot with a team.

#24 Wingsfan72

Wingsfan72

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

What a horrible decision.  The guy might have had some really crappy luck with injuries, but he JUST got back and there is so much potential with him.  How do we have enough players to afford to throw one away??  I have not been this disappointed with Holland in a long time - with the exception of him resigning Sammy.  If he gets claimed, and he will, Wings are going to regret it immensely.  

This had better be an indication of some trades coming very soon.

Ugh. 

If I die tell my wife I said, "Hello".

#25 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

Mursak may be a useful 12/13th NHL player on some teams but Andersson, Tatar and Nyquist are all more useful to the Wings.  It's time to give Mursak a chance to stick somewhere else. 

I do find it comical that over the last 3 years people have complained that the young guys weren't being given a fair shake with regards to sticking with the big club and now that Holland is clearly giving priority to Andersson and Tatar over Eaves, Mursak et al it's the opposite argument. 

Here's the long and the short of it:  Eaves is an NHL vet who can contribute and he's sitting in the press box every other game while Tatar and Andersson are being given secure spots and all the encouragement they can ask for.  Nyquist was given shots to push those guys out of the spotlight but each time Tatar managed to shine brighter.  Now I do think Nyquist has the potential be be a very, very good player but right now he appears to be in a bit of a slump and can't force his way onto the team when he gets called up.

I really hope Gus puts it all together and sticks with the team next call-up because he's one of my favourite prospects.

Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#26 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

Doesn't look like he's being waved to make room for Franzen.  Franzen says he's ruling himself out for the weekend games.  Aiming for a return on Wednesday, per Ansar KHAAAAAAN!!!

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#27 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

LOL

I've heard several people on LGW calling for a "house cleaning" and on top of guys like Cleary, Sammy, Kindl, Quincey, etc, I heard Mursak's name too. Basically, dump the garbage and play the guys who deserve to play.

Now they waive him, and people are losing their minds and suggesting that the team should keep Mursak and send Andersson or Tatar down because they are waiver exempt? Both these guys are better than Mursak. I think it's a good sign that they keeping A & T up and in the line-up. I think it's a good thing that this team isn't factoring in minor league waiver options when putting their line-up together. Yada yada yada. Etc etc etc,

The exact same thing happened when Holland had to waive Quincey to keep Ericsson.  People wept tears of blood and whipped themselves in the street.  For the next two seasons we all heard how Holland made a huge mistake and he had to get Q back.  When Kenny brings back the Q we all see how much worse he is than Ericsson and we're glad big-E stuck with the team.

Doesn't look like he's being waved to make room for Franzen.  Franzen says he's ruling himself out for the weekend games.  Aiming for a return on Wednesday, per Ansar KHAAAAAAN!!!

I wouldn't be surprised if they called Ferraro up or maybe Riley.  I have a feeling Sheahan will have to wait on account of his bad choices off the ice.  The only reason I think they'd aim for one of those guys over Nyquist is how crappy the PK has been.

Ferraro would give the team the speed and grit on the PK that we're missing with Helm gone.  Doesn't hurt that Ferraro is scoring shorties in the AHL and has almost the same top speed as Helm but with a decent set of hands. 

Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#28 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,990 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

Franzen's "ruling himself out"??

He must have plans for the weekend. :lol:

#29 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

How can most of you not see the obvious? He's not a top 6 guy on ANY NHL team and is not built for grinding and mucking it up on the 3rd/4th lines. There's more viable options in GR right now like Sheahan. Dude is born to be a 3rd liner. Hoping Sheahan gets called up now.

The best part about Sheahan is he's got the potential to be another Franzen guy who scores his way off the 3rd/4th by virtue of his sweet hands.  Unlike Mule, Riley likes to play a physical game and doesn't shy from confrontation.

Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#30 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

He will get picked up, and were going to regret this

Cause we can definitely afford to lose a player to waivers for free these days....oh wait, no we can't. i'm also not understanding the logic to this.

Have fun on Long Island...

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#31 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,990 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

Cause we can definitely afford to lose a player to waivers for free these days....oh wait, no we can't. i'm also not understanding the logic to this.

Have fun on Long Island...

Yes we can. Like others have said, as long as Detroit doesn't mind turning Grand Rapids into an ECHL team, Ferraro and Sheahan are both available options and are both better than Mursak has been.

Where's Aussie_Wing? I feel for that guy.

#32 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

Franzen's "ruling himself out"??

He must have plans for the weekend. :lol:

He's gonna go have fun.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#33 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

Pretty much says too that the Wings have no intention of re-signing him at the end of the season.  Not a shock there.  I'm calling it now though: He gets picked up by LA, signs with Colorado in the off season, & gets traded back to the Wings via a 3 way deal with Tampa for a 1st rounder in a few years.

#34 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

The kid must have looked to skillful and energetic last night to stay :/

Seriously though, while the kid hasn't set the world on fire in his call-ups, this move makes zero sense to me. I'm sure he'll be claimed and relegated to the 3rd/4th line of a bottom feeder, but still. I feel like we've waived so many players like this that eventually someone is going to make something of himself. Even worse, I shudder to think of the Quincey situation, sent out, making something of himself, then when he is beginning a downswing all of a sudden Holland pulls a "we regret moving him, he's grown, he knows the system" and gives up a pick.

#35 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

What a horrible decision.  The guy might have had some really crappy luck with injuries, but he JUST got back and there is so much potential with him.  How do we have enough players to afford to throw one away??  I have not been this disappointed with Holland in a long time - with the exception of him resigning Sammy.  If he gets claimed, and he will, Wings are going to regret it immensely.  

Ugh. 

He's had 43 games to try and turn this immense potential into something useful at the NHL level, and posted an incredible 2 goals and 2 assists. He's a small injury prone winger and the Wings have better players to play on the 3rd/4th line.

The battle was going to be between him and Emmerton this season, and Emmerton has won simply by comparing their durability.

Were you this sour when Holland waived Mat Ellis too?

#36 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

He's had 43 games to try and turn this immense potential into something useful at the NHL level, and posted an incredible 2 goals and 2 assists. He's a small injury prone winger and the Wings have better players to play on the 3rd/4th line.

The battle was going to be between him and Emmerton this season, and Emmerton has won simply by comparing their durability.

Were you this sour when Holland waived Mat Ellis too?

If you're small and you're not physical you better bring something to the table ...like scoring...and he didnt do it. Being durable is part of being a good pro and he isnt that either.

Ugh. 

Its an indication that he isnt very good. Simple as that

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#37 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

George Malik put it in a rather "matter-of-fact"ly manner earlier...  At this moment, would you rather have Mursak's potential, Tatar's hands, or Andersson's size?  Seems that one of those 3 has to be odd man out, so it's a move that doesn't eliminate something the team needs right now.

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#38 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

i totally saw this coming theres just not space for guys like him with tatar,andersson and nyquist coming up ... i expect guys like miller and samuelsson not to be back next season ( well maybe not samuelsson cuz holland loves him )

what bugs me though is the dump the  player on waivers for nothing again routine, anze kopitar is his best friend you telling me we couldnt of gotten a 7th round pick and let our scout andersson try his magic again with an extra pick and hope for the best ???

no doubt  he will get picked up and i think with the speed he has he can be an nhl player for years and if not now  i see him with the kings when hes a ufa

Edited by nyqvististhefuture, 22 February 2013 - 02:22 PM.

#39 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

i totally saw this coming theres just not space for guys like him with tatar,andersson and nyquist coming up ... i expect guys like miller and samuelsson not to be back next season ( well maybe not samuelsson cuz holland loves him )

what bugs me though is the dump the  player on waivers for nothing again routine, anze kopitar is his best friend you telling me we couldnt of gotten a 7th round pick and let our scout andersson try his magic again with an extra pick and hope for the best ???

no doubt  he will get picked up and i think with the speed he has he can be an nhl player for years and if not now  i see him with the kings when hes a ufa

We have no idea maybe they have been trying to shop him and no one wanted to give up a pick of any kind for him.  Sammy isn't going anywhere unless its a trade..his contract isnt bad, his durability is in question obviously but he is repsonsible in his own end ..has a fiesty streak..and can score 15-20 goals when healthy. 

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#40 MacAttack25

MacAttack25

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

The exact same thing happened when Holland had to waive Quincey to keep Ericsson.  People wept tears of blood and whipped themselves in the street.  For the next two seasons we all heard how Holland made a huge mistake and he had to get Q back.  When Kenny brings back the Q we all see how much worse he is than Ericsson and we're glad big-E stuck with the team.

My memory might be fuzzy, but I don't think Quincey had anything to do with Ericsson. I think Quincey was waived to keep Chelios and Meech. Quincey was waived at the beginning of the 2008-2009 season, Big E started in Grand Rapids that year if I'm not mistaken.