• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
unsaddleddonald

Babs on last night's D: "...best we've had all year."

Rate this topic

Guest The Axe

The ironic thing is that people were saying this 3 years ago about Ericsson.

3 years ago? He was the whipping boy last year. Some people on here dont know what they are watching. Kindl hasnt been on the ice for a goal against in 6 games, but people say he's a terrible defender. Its insane.

So what to do with Ian White then? I think Babs sent a clear message to him by playing Kindl twice with the full defense corps as opposed to getting White a game. Trade him? I like White, but he doesn't scream he's the kind of player who'd be alright sitting more times then not and waiting for a chance. With Colaiacovos return on the horizon as well, it leaves even more questions about Whites status with the team.

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan

3 years ago? He was the whipping boy last year. Some people on here dont know what they are watching. Kindl hasnt been on the ice for a goal against in 6 games, but people say he's a terrible defender. Its insane.

If you're basing that on his +/- then I understand why you think it's a meaningful stat. You're misunderstanding how it works.

Here's the full context of Babcock's quote about the "best D" by the way.

“I liked the fact that the D was big,'' Babcock said. “They could skate and they went back and got pucks and paid the price to move it and get it out. Did we make some mistakes? Absolutely. But I thought it was the best group that we had all year.

“At the start of the year we never would have thought about talking about Lash being with that group. He was good. I thought Kuba (Kindl), who has been hot and cold, was real competitive, and so overall that was the biggest plus for me as a coach, our back end.”

Kindl has been playing better. But see the hot and cold part? That's the whole problem with Kindl. He needs to stay hot this time and hold a roster spot.

The ironic thing is that people were saying this 3 years ago about Ericsson.

I'm aware. I just hope we don't have to wait till Kindl is 29 for him to do anything worth while.

Maybe we should just give him a $3 million contract like Ericsson... then he'll magically evolve into a player worth that amount like Jonny

I'm aware. I just hope we don't have to wait till Kindl is 29 for him to do anything worth while.

Maybe we should just give him a $3 million contract like Ericsson... then he'll magically evolve into a player worth that amount like Jonny

What's weird is even when Ericsson would play like a solid bottom pairing guy people would still want to tar and feather him, like they thought he was supposed to play like a top pairing or something. Kindl on the other hand people seem really excited if he just looks decent for a stretch of games.

I can't say I really ever understood it given their relative draft positions and potential.

If you're basing that on his +/- then I understand why you think it's a meaningful stat. You're misunderstanding how it works.

Here's the full context of Babcock's quote about the "best D" by the way.

Kindl has been playing better. But see the hot and cold part? That's the whole problem with Kindl. He needs to stay hot this time and hold a roster spot.

To be fair, in his presser after the San Jose game Babcock singled out Kindl yet again for his play and did so without any reservations. Two games in a row he was mentioned by name for his strong play.

To be fair, in his presser after the San Jose game Babcock singled out Kindl yet again for his play and did so without any reservations. Two games in a row he was mentioned by name for his strong play.

I don't disagree. But earlier in the month he pointed out Kindl's bad play.

Kindl has shown from the start he's capable of playing in this league. For him though it seems to be the willingness and ability to do it for a whole season. That's all I was saying.

Guest The Axe

I don't disagree. But earlier in the month he pointed out Kindl's bad play.

Kindl has shown from the start he's capable of playing in this league. For him though it seems to be the willingness and ability to do it for a whole season. That's all I was saying.

He could score 20 pts this season and finish a +25. People would still be on his case.

Makes me wonder if there's more the the story than we're privy to. Last year Babs has a love affair with Ian White. This year Babs won't keep the same defensive pairings for 3 shifts, let alone three games. Then, White of all people is the odd man out when Babs finally does decided on a group to stick with. And White is obviously pissed off about it.

I wonder if there wasn't a locker room conflict or something. This seems too sudden and acrimonious to be a case where White was simply played out of his roster spot by Lashoff and Kindl.

Edited by kipwinger

i think the term Bab, likes the Big body guys he has on the D, could have something to do with it. Kronner isnt the biggest but he has an offensive output and can hit like Vladdy, well almost as good. but Whites points have almost vanished and he aint gunna get any taller sometime soon!!

The Wings could soon have a Defensive corp all over 6' and that'll be a first for a very long time.

the thing is, Ericsson and Kindl are almost the same players just 3 years apart. Kindl just turned 26 and today is Ericsson's 29th B day. To date Ericsson has played 250 games in the NHL and Kindl has played 120. Career points are 53 for ericsson and 22 for Kindl. Both are +8 for their careers. I mentioned on another thread that for whatever reason Dmen seem to develop a little later. Most don't seem to hit their stride untill their late 20's. But they also tend to play later in life-late 30's is common.

As for White, I think he is gone soon, baring another rash of injuries. I think it is pretty clear he was carried by Nicky last year, which was his career year for the most part.

I like Huskins as the 7th. A cheap veteran with the younger guys. Cola can also go any time.......

Guest The Axe

Probably because plus minus doesn't mean much of anything.

If he keeps playing like he has the last couple games though, people will come around.

What about you? Have you come around on Kindl?

Huskins is a shutdown guy who can get physical, we saw that when he played in Anaheim. I'd keep him as a 7th.

Quincey plays best when he's got some motivation to get physical. Perhaps Smith gives that to him. Remember the first year Quincey was playing here before he was let go? He was wrecking into people and making these boards excited (how dare he!) If Brendan Smith is giving him the spark to get it in gear and go hit someone and stand up at the blue or even red line, damn skippy then eh?

Coca-Covo, I haven't seen enough of his work to make a good decision. Been injured all year.

Whitey, Whitey, Whitey.....tsk tsk. Such high hopes given your offensive work in SJ and TOR. Son, I am Dissapoint. If White doesn't pull a rabbit out of his ass, writing's on the wall. Trade him for a pick. or a puck bag. We'll even throw in a coney dog.

What about you? Have you come around on Kindl?

If he continues to play well and hold a roster spot, absolutely.

I was excited at the possibility of the Wings having two big puck moving D men in Kindl and Ericsson. E as the stay at home guy with a good first pass and Kindl as the more offensive guy.

Like I said he's always had skills. But he's lacked consistency and a willingness to play physically, not only dishing out hits but taking them in order to make the good play instead of just throwing it up the glass.

It's easy to forget that Kindl is 6'3 216 lbs. That's as big or bigger than anyone on the blueline except Ericsson and Huskins. And by the roster stats he actually outweighs Huskins.

The Wings finally have size on the blueline and if these guys play like they should, they won't get pushed around by anyone around the net.

Kronwall

Ericsson

Smith

Quincey

Kindl

Lashoff

As said, all drafted, or signed as an undrafted player by the Wings. Q went through the system but did not clear waivers after being sent down with a bad back (Kings claimed him). Only 1 player is over 30 and that same player is the only one under 6'2". If you throw a few rocsk in Smith's pocket, he is also the only one under 200 lbs.

Kindl - He was caught up in a bit of a transitional trap, with players in front of him, no roster spots and going through the GR system when it was in a transition. Babcock wanted a different style game from him and it sucked the confidence out of his play. As said, he has been solid the past two games, but the hot and cold must end. This group could be a really good, really deep 6. I certainly wouldn't move him for Cola or huskins to keep a spot.

White - self centered and soft. Jettison the guy.

Huskins - slow and unimpressive. He is #7 fodder.

Cola - Potential is why you buy IPO stock for a dime, not keep a fragile player in the toughest collision sport on Earth.

Guest DeGraa55

+/- does mean something. Its kind of like BA in baseball. They both do have meaning and can represent whether or not a player is good or bad. But there is other stats that have more meaning.

To say +/- means nothing is plain ignorant. But it doesn't mean everything either.

Ericsson has become a beaut, can't rave enough about his play this year. But Kindl... I don't care if he's still developing, he doesn't belong on NHL ice right now.

That is a ridiculously stupid comment. Kindl is an NHL defenseman.

Guest The Axe

If he continues to play well and hold a roster spot, absolutely.

I was excited at the possibility of the Wings having two big puck moving D men in Kindl and Ericsson. E as the stay at home guy with a good first pass and Kindl as the more offensive guy.

Like I said he's always had skills. But he's lacked consistency and a willingness to play physically, not only dishing out hits but taking them in order to make the good play instead of just throwing it up the glass.

It's easy to forget that Kindl is 6'3 216 lbs. That's as big or bigger than anyone on the blueline except Ericsson and Huskins. And by the roster stats he actually outweighs Huskins.

The Wings finally have size on the blueline and if these guys play like they should, they won't get pushed around by anyone around the net.

I agree.

+/- does mean something. Its kind of like BA in baseball. They both do have meaning and can represent whether or not a player is good or bad. But there is other stats that have more meaning.

To say +/- means nothing is plain ignorant. But it doesn't mean everything either.

I would compare it to RBIs in that its somewhat circumstantial. Both are based, in part, on overall team performance and situational play.

Guest Crymson

Ericsson has become a beaut, can't rave enough about his play this year.

He has been great. Those two giveaways against the Sharks constituted the only brainfarts I've seen from him this season. He has been playing excellent defense aside from that, and he is finally using his size; he doesn't lay down big hits, but he routinely overpowers players along the boards. And his offensive game hasn't yet reached its full potency, so we still have more to see from him.

He has been great. Those two giveaways against the Sharks constituted the only brainfarts I've seen from him this season. He has been playing excellent defense aside from that, and he is finally using his size; he doesn't lay down big hits, but he routinely overpowers players along the boards. And his offensive game hasn't yet reached its full potency, so we still have more to see from him.

Spot on. He just looks plain solid out there. His defensive instincts have really matured.

With his size I would love to see his offense get better. Could end up with a helluva slap shot, and could be another guy who knows how to pinch in the O-zone.

That is a ridiculously stupid comment. Kindl is an NHL defenseman.

Well as long as we're calling other peoples opinions "stupid comments", I think your opinion is a... "stupid comment"

The stupid mistakes and dumb penalties he takes drive me crazy. IMO White and Quincey should have his shifts. Yeah I said it. White & Quincey.

the thing is, Ericsson and Kindl are almost the same players just 3 years apart. Kindl just turned 26 and today is Ericsson's 29th B day. To date Ericsson has played 250 games in the NHL and Kindl has played 120. Career points are 53 for ericsson and 22 for Kindl. Both are +8 for their careers. I mentioned on another thread that for whatever reason Dmen seem to develop a little later. Most don't seem to hit their stride untill their late 20's. But they also tend to play later in life-late 30's is common.

As for White, I think he is gone soon, baring another rash of injuries. I think it is pretty clear he was carried by Nicky last year, which was his career year for the most part.

I like Huskins as the 7th. A cheap veteran with the younger guys. Cola can also go any time.......

So because Kindl has played half as much as Ericsson and has half the points and the same +/-, they are essentially the same player? Give me a break, that is the most ridiculous thing I've heard