Photo
- - - - -

Brunner hasn't hit the wall. He has slammed into it.

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,141 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

Me too ever since Crosby and Ovechkin have come to this league and run up the score-sheet people are expecting way too much from rookies, these days. Even Stamkos was labeled a bust because he didn't light it up in his first year...

If Stamkos was a rookie for the wings, everyone would have been calling for Hollands head, 46 points for a 1st overall pick, that is just unacceptable...

#42 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,830 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

If Stamkos was a rookie for the wings, everyone would have been calling for Hollands head, 46 points for a 1st overall pick, that is just unacceptable...

True which is sad.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#43 Mater_Horn

Mater_Horn

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:24 PM

you know he played like 33 games overseas before the lockout ended right?

Overseas? Why don't you just say "Sweden"?

Fatigue isn't the only issue here.

He was an unknown commodity with no NHL experience when the season began.  He scored a few goals early off, had a highlight reel shootout experience, and a few weeks later he's among the lead leaders in goals.  Suddenly, teams stopped treating him like a soft Euro and started taking away his time and space.  He's more tightly covered whilst sneaking into the slot from the soft-side.  Defense are on him much quicker and harder in the corners, and while Brunner can mentally adjust to North American hockey, it will be a slower process to build up the physical strength to be able to fight through the coverage that he is now experiencing.

Secondly, Brunner has really focused hard on playing a more defensively sound game.  He is back-checking much more effectively than when the season began, and he's playing much deeper in our own zone instead of floating at the blueline waiting for a breakout.  He has also been more conscious of opponent's breakout potentials and is adjusting his game in the offensive zone to accommodate this.  His new-found defensive responsibilities are also going to lower his offensive output.

Combined with the brutal North American schedule and travel, its no surprise at all why Brunner has suddenly gone quiet.  He's with good role models though, and I suspect that he will be able to overcome the schedule and the added defensive attention he has over the next few years.  Given his commitment to learning the defensive side of the game, and how far he has come already, I'd say the guy is willing to do whatever it takes to be successful at this level.  Lets hope my assumption is correct.

You pretty much said it all.

It will be about finding the balance between "getting away from the diva play", "show some aggressiveness" and "SCORE!".

How he will do next season? I hope he'll be doing good, too.

#44 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

LOL!!!

I'm going to take credit for Broons scoring tonight!!

Great play by Gus too! Gus is skating hard tonight.

#45 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:15 PM

Hopefully tonight gets him going again. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#46 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:10 PM

I bought a Brunner jersey shirt at the game today too... shoot...

Keep wearing that jersey! :)
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!