• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#81 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:58 AM

The cap hasn't dropped in those years. The Wings have 18.6 million left to sign, Nyquist, Andersson, Kindl, Smith, Howard, Flip, Brunner, White, Cleary and Miller.

Flip and Howard are going to get at least 4 a season, so now you're down to 10.6 million. Nyquist and Andersson are going to get at least 1 million each, bringing the cap room down to 8.6 million. Smith and Kindl will command at least as much as Colaiacovo (2.5 million) so now you're left with 3.6 million to sign Brunner, White, Cleary or Miller. Brunner alone could cost as much as that considering the # of goals he's scored in his rookie season and his status as a UFA.

Unless there is a buyout of some sort, or a trade involving some significant salary going the other way don't expect the Wings to add anyone this offseason or trade deadline.

Unless there's a buyout or trade of a roster player, we won't have the roster room to add anyone, or even have all the kids on the roster. Obvisouly, any talk of additions to the roster implies some kind of subtraction to make room. Wouldn't have been too hard to make room for JBo.

Even so, I wouldn't have given a 1st for him. Good chance that pick will be in the 16-20 range. Don't think he's worth that and the extra cap burden, even with the junk prospects. Make it a 2nd and I would, but that would probably be a deal breaker for the Flames even with better prospects.

#82 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:06 AM

Unless there's a buyout or trade of a roster player, we won't have the roster room to add anyone, or even have all the kids on the roster. Obvisouly, any talk of additions to the roster implies some kind of subtraction to make room. Wouldn't have been too hard to make room for JBo.

Even so, I wouldn't have given a 1st for him. Good chance that pick will be in the 16-20 range. Don't think he's worth that and the extra cap burden, even with the junk prospects. Make it a 2nd and I would, but that would probably be a deal breaker for the Flames even with better prospects.

Honestly, are the differences between a late first and a fairly early second that big ? I highly doubt it, the Flames just made the Blues a lot better so chances are, the first round pick will be in the 22 + range. I don't care how underrated Bouwmeester is, but a GM should be able to get a first and Rattie/Cole for this guy in my mind.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#83 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:56 AM

Holland dropped the ball.  Huge fail.

This might be why the Wings didn't land JBo...

http://espn.go.com/b...ser-to-playoffs

Has nothing to do with the Wings.  St. Louis has an internal cap.

Posted Image

#84 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:09 AM

Honestly, are the differences between a late first and a fairly early second that big ? I highly doubt it, the Flames just made the Blues a lot better so chances are, the first round pick will be in the 22 + range. I don't care how underrated Bouwmeester is, but a GM should be able to get a first and Rattie/Cole for this guy in my mind.

Yes, actually the difference between even a late first and an early second is pretty substantial. Though I'm not sure why you'd assume it would be a late 1st and early 2nd. I'd expect both the Wings and Blues will pick in around the same spot. 16-20 or so. Even if you assume the Blues win the Cup and the Wings go 15th, it's still half a round of highly-scouted players you miss a chance on.

And a player on a crap contract who's been under-performing for years definitely isn't worth a top prospect and a first.

#85 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,987 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:45 AM

Holland must have been sleeping when this trade went down. Would easily have been worth matching the return Flames got here.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#86 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:27 AM

Feaster and the Flames got hosed on this, but the Blues haven't done themselves any favors with JBouw's cap hit.

It's a pure salary dump for the Flames and obviously a lot of teams weren't willing to take on that salary with the cap going down, but I can't believe they couldn't get more. 

Even if he could have been had for cheap, don't think this the defenseman Holland is looking for.

Edited by e_prime, 02 April 2013 - 06:28 AM.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#87 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,184 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:48 AM

We like our team.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#88 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:54 AM

We like our team.

Sigh... I'm so tired of Holland saying this. I mean I think he's a good GM, but he cannot think this team has enough power to hang with the big boys.

Posted Image

#89 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:26 AM

No deal by Feaster of Bouwmeester by Easter? Interesting.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#90 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,987 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:39 AM

Even if he could have been had for cheap, don't think this the defenseman Holland is looking for.

Holland has been rumored to be interested. Anyway, he will continue looking then, because I doubt any better defenseman will fall in his lap within foreseeable future.

#91 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:41 AM

Feaster and the Flames got hosed on this, but the Blues haven't done themselves any favors with JBouw's cap hit.

It's a pure salary dump for the Flames and obviously a lot of teams weren't willing to take on that salary with the cap going down, but I can't believe they couldn't get more. 

One of the many reasons I was glad Kenny didn't get him.  I'd rather him chase a top 6 forward or 2.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#92 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,184 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:42 AM

To be fair, it seems this move was a "salary dump."

Don't Toews me, bro!

#93 archimet

archimet

Prospect

• 34 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:01 AM

The Wings have tons of young talent and are a well-positioned to continue their unmatched excellence for years to come.  However, after Datsyuk and Zetterberg, they lack star power.  Howard, Kronwall, Franzen, Filppula are very solid players, but they are not stars. A handful of the young talent may rise to become stars, but they have a long way to go... and nothing is guaranteed. 

If you want the Wings to become contenders year-in and year-out, Kenny's challenge is to land a 'star' defensemen... and a 'star' forward (or two) who can complement Zetterberg's talents... and help convince Datsyuk to stay in North American beyond next year. 

Bouwmeester is undoubtedly a solid player, but he is not star caliber.  He would have made the Wings a better team, but not a serious cup contender.  Plus, his cap hit (virtually the same as Datsyuk's) would have handcuffed Holland and made it virtually impossible for him to turn this Wings team into a serious threat for the Cup... not only this year, but for years to come. 

#94 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,987 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

The Wings have tons of young talent and are a well-positioned to continue their unmatched excellence for years to come.  However, after Datsyuk and Zetterberg, they lack star power.  Howard, Kronwall, Franzen, Filppula are very solid players, but they are not stars. A handful of the young talent may rise to become stars, but they have a long way to go... and nothing is guaranteed. 

If you want the Wings to become contenders year-in and year-out, Kenny's challenge is to land a 'star' defensemen... and a 'star' forward (or two) who can complement Zetterberg's talents... and help convince Datsyuk to stay in North American beyond next year. 

Bouwmeester is undoubtedly a solid player, but he is not star caliber.  He would have made the Wings a better team, but not a serious cup contender.  Plus, his cap hit (virtually the same as Datsyuk's) would have handcuffed Holland and made it virtually impossible for him to turn this Wings team into a serious threat for the Cup... not only this year, but for years to come. 

How so? Bouwmeester's contract only had one more year left. Also, there is no single player available that will turn this team into a contender overnight.

#95 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:49 AM

I was interested in Bouwmeester 4 years ago, but not this time around.   It wasn't a mistake Holland didn't land him.  I think the cons broke the scale on this one.

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#96 JPT

JPT

Rookie

• Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:50 AM

More jobbers no one has heard of.

How come the Pens and Blues can trade faceless kids and we can't?  And I'm not saying we should have gotten Boumeester.  Just wondering.  

Blues fans would be saying the same thing if we had traded Jarnkrok or Ouellet. Who are these nobodies?

#97 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:04 AM

Blues fans would be saying the same thing if we had traded Jarnkrok or Ouellet. Who are these nobodies?

Umm no. Jarnkrok and ouellet are young outstanding prospects. The guys the blues traded would be equivalent to Ben Marshall and the goalie we just signed the other week out of college that I can't rememeber the name of.

#98 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:09 AM

Umm no. Jarnkrok and ouellet are young outstanding prospects. The guys the blues traded would be equivalent to Ben Marshall and the goalie we just signed the other week out of college that I can't rememeber the name of.

Jarnkrok and Ouellet are promising yes but outstanding? Time will tell. The thing about Jay Bouwmeester is, the guy has never played on a good team, Flames gave away Phaneuf for basically nothing after a few months and he played tons of minutes this season for Calgary according to Flamesfans without a doubt their best defenseman. Guy has 1 year left on his contract and would have easily become the Wings best defenseman, watch him blossom alongside Pietrangelo now, also Dreger mentioned the Wings management is crushed they didn't get him.

So even the higher ups thought highly of this guy and Bouwmeester would have been a great mentor for Dekeyser and Smith.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#99 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:16 AM

Jarnkrok and Ouellet are promising yes but outstanding? Time will tell. The thing about Jay Bouwmeester is, the guy has never played on a good team, Flames gave away Phaneuf for basically nothing after a few months and he played tons of minutes this season for Calgary according to Flamesfans without a doubt their best defenseman. Guy has 1 year left on his contract and would have easily become the Wings best defenseman, watch him blossom alongside Pietrangelo now, also Dreger mentioned the Wings management is crushed they didn't get him.

So even the higher ups thought highly of this guy and Bouwmeester would have been a great mentor for Dekeyser and Smith.

Oh I agree, I was just correcting the poster on the value of prospects. Jarnkrok and Ouellet are outstanding compared to Reto Berra who is a 26 year old Swiss goaltender that well very likely never make the NHL, and Cundari who is an ok AHL point producing defenseman that is 5'9, his ceiling is Derek Meech.

I mean come on, that return is just pitiful, and comparing Jarnkrok, and Ouellet to that? It's disturbingly inaccurate.

On Jaybo, I actually wanted him, mainly because I don't think Holland will use that cap space up in the off season, but I'll give him the chance to improve this team in other ways before I hold this against him.

Edited by Carman, 02 April 2013 - 09:16 AM.

#100 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,808 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:20 AM

I think it's going to be pretty quiet for the Red Wings this week...I hope I'm wrong.

Probably so...I get the impression Holland will kick some tires, but not swing any deals.

Pretty much agree here.

'Evolution' created by Offsides