• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
unsaddleddonald

Players who showboat after scoring

Rate this topic

In general I can't stand it.

I understand that guys should be happy when they score, so I understand that I may be viewed as a sour puss for this.

I just saw Pascal Dupuis (20 goals this year) score, skate away, go to one knee, and scream as if he had just scored his first career goal. He made it 2-0 in game 1. I thought he may pull a Tyler Kennedy/Evgeni Malkin and jump into the boards.

As a Wings fan, I think I may have a little bias since I don't think we've ever really had a guy who acts like that after a goal. Hossa was close to being that, but he never really went over the top.

I think a lot of the young guys in the league (my generation) are to "blame" for this. Let's face it: Generation Y loves the spotlight and loves the attention.

Edited by unsaddleddonald

I don't mind a small celebration, I don't expect every guy to skate away like he doesn't care.

I can handle when guys go a little bigger with their first goal, buzzer beaters, overtime goals, or highlight reel beautiful goals but I never like dropping to one knee and making a big production of it.

It depends on what your definition of "showboat" is as well. Do you count celebrating after OT goals?

The Wings have Tatar who has showboated a bit in the past.

Personally, celebrating after a goal is fine with me. The Pascal goal is fine. Same with the Yakupov (sp) goal earlier this year when he went out to center and celebrated. Then you have Theo Fleury who has scored many goals with celebration. I have no issues with it.

I don't like the over the top celebrations myself, especially if the player is going off on his own rather than celebrating with teammates.

Didn't see Dupuis goal or celebration yet, but he's not the guy I'd normally think of showboating...maybe he does though. I've seen what Malkin does from time to time, doesn't bother me too much, it's pretty low key.

I hated the Yakupov one from earlier this year and also some of Ovechkin's in the past.....especially the "hot stick"

This really has been discussed before here I believe. Every team has a player that has "showboated" before. Some players do it after they get their first goal, or score a playoff goal, or when they make a big play. Pascal is someone I never have seen showboat (don't watch him very much), but apparently he did today (if you want to call it that). Its the same thing in the rec leagues. Some players just go nuts when they score and then others are low key.

Personally, I want to see more people get excited when they score. Hockey is an intense sport, and when I see a player pump fists like Hossa did last night, I really can see that intensity at that time. Its a lot of fun for me. The NHL doesn't need to turn into the NFL when it comes to celebrations where even a simple dance in the end zone can result in the penalty. Let the players play and celebrate within reason. The Yakapov goal is about the limit I would allow, and I never see anyone go above and beyond that.

Once again, its all based on perception, but I lean more towards "Feel free to celebrate".

I love the showboats. Why try to take excitement out of the game? They want more goals because they want more cellies.

Can't stand the word "cellies" just for the record.

It doesn't take excitement out of the game in my opinion. And there's a big difference between showing excitement and being kind of classless about it and I think a lot of players cross the line.

Also I think your statement is kind of ridiculous. They should want more goals because it helps their TEAM...not because they want to feel like a rock star.

Edited by Ally

Guest irishock

I couldn't care less. If I was in the NHL, I'd be going nuts too if I scored.

sorry

Edited by irishock

Guest DeGraa55

I love it. It shows emotion. The one time I don't like it is if you're down 5-0 with a min to go and you score. Then no don't celebrate cause you don't deserve it. But guys like Kane and ovi I love it. It shows up emotion shows they care.

as long as they don't start dancing like football players...im fine with it

I agree we don't need a ray lewis scene. Little overboard.

Right, like I said, I had a feeling there was going to be a lot of people who view it from the other side.

Let me be clear that I am excluding OT winners, first goals, stuff like that.

It is guys like Patrick Kane (who was mentioned) and Tyler Kennedy who make a spectacle out of it every time they score.

You don't really see guys like Crosby, Toews, or Datsyuk celebrate like a maniac everytime they score. Act like you've done it before and you expect to do it again.

But is this a valid point: you see the younger generation of players doing this more so than the older generation?

Guest irishock

It is guys like Patrick Kane (who was mentioned) and Tyler Kennedy who make a spectacle out of it every time they score.

I hope they both have cancer.

Has everyone forgotten that this is a game. Games are meant to be fun. God forbid someone shows emotion because he might hurt the feelings of some delicate man on the other team. Celebrate all you want. As long as you are not directly skating to the other teams bench and taunting then who cares. This isnt golf. Its a sport fed by speed and emotion.

And Tatar isnt showboating in an earlier post. Hes pumping the Wings logo. Showboating would be something like point to his nameplate on his back. Why do people keep using this as there go to Wings showboating clip.

Edited by GoalieManPat

The comment about the football celebrations makes me wonder just how ridiculous it would look if somebody tried to do the Ickey Shuffle after scoring a goal, but then an opposing player woul likely reenact the Dale Hunter on Pierre Turgeon hit before it finished.

As far as the Tatar clip, the guy was emphasizing the Wings logo, not his nameplate. Plus it was his first NHL goal. IMHO he should get a pass.

The Burrows stick snap after his winner to break the Wings' home win streak was a bit bush league, though given the situation I can sort of understand it (though the guy is still a douchenozzle). He could have been more creative.

The Tiger Williams stick ride used to make me laugh, since it was a guy who pretty much never expected to score and seeing a top shelf tough guy showing the joy of a kid was kind of funny to me. I always took it as more of a holy crap I actually scored and it might not happen again then him trying to embarrass the goalie.

Edited by TheXym