41 replies to this topic

#1 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:15 PM

In general I can't stand it.

I understand that guys should be happy when they score, so I understand that I may be viewed as a sour puss for this.

I just saw Pascal Dupuis (20 goals this year) score, skate away, go to one knee, and scream as if he had just scored his first career goal. He made it 2-0 in game 1. I thought he may pull a Tyler Kennedy/Evgeni Malkin and jump into the boards.

As a Wings fan, I think I may have a little bias since I don't think we've ever really had a guy who acts like that after a goal. Hossa was close to being that, but he never really went over the top.

I think a lot of the young guys in the league (my generation) are to "blame" for this. Let's face it: Generation Y loves the spotlight and loves the attention.

Edited by unsaddleddonald, 01 May 2013 - 07:48 PM.

#2 Serratoni

Serratoni

Rookie

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:32 PM

Gen X isn't young guys. Usually applies to those born in the 60's - early 80's. Maybe you mean Generation Y?

#3 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:48 PM

Gen X isn't young guys. Usually applies to those born in the 60's - early 80's. Maybe you mean Generation Y?

Lol, yeah I guess.

#4 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:09 PM

I don't mind a small celebration, I don't expect every guy to skate away like he doesn't care.
I can handle when guys go a little bigger with their first goal, buzzer beaters, overtime goals, or highlight reel beautiful goals but I never like dropping to one knee and making a big production of it.

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#5 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,771 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:20 PM

It depends on what your definition of "showboat" is as well.  Do you count celebrating after OT goals?

The Wings have Tatar who has showboated a bit in the past.

Personally, celebrating after a goal is fine with me.  The Pascal goal is fine.  Same with the Yakupov (sp) goal earlier this year when he went out to center and celebrated.  Then you have Theo Fleury who has scored many goals with celebration.  I have no issues with it.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#6 PROBIE4PREZ

PROBIE4PREZ

In Holland I trust.

• PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

Patrick Kane does it EVERY time.

"I mean, the best thing for my knee, for anyone's knee, is to never play again and retire. But I'm not going to do that." o-captain my captain

#7 redwings15

redwings15

Rookie

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:26 PM

I like it when they're creative and still celebrate with their teammates. That was Tatar's first NHL goal--cut him some slack

#8 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:32 PM

I don't like the over the top celebrations myself, especially if the player is going off on his own rather than celebrating with teammates.

Didn't see Dupuis goal or celebration yet, but he's not the guy I'd normally think of showboating...maybe he does though.  I've seen what Malkin does from time to time, doesn't bother me too much, it's pretty low key.

I hated the Yakupov one from earlier this year and also some of Ovechkin's in the past.....especially the "hot stick"

#9 DatsyukDangles13

DatsyukDangles13

Prospect

• 33 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:39 PM

I love the showboats.  Why try to take excitement out of the game?  They want more goals because they want more cellies.

Follow my friend and I on a 90 day road trip to 60 sports games!  Check out the website http://www.thebandwagoners.com.

Follow us on twitter: https://twitter.com/Band_Wagoners and like us on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bwagoners

#10 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:41 PM

#danglesnipeandcelly

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#11 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:00 PM

Datsyuk is the perfect celebrated. Makes guys look stupid and never shows them up. That's why everyone, including his opponents, likes him. He smiles and does a fist pump. That's enough.

#12 Rhah

Rhah

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:02 PM

Waiting for the Euro players to copy footballers... we going to get a flopping fish celebration soon?

#13 Itchin' to go

Itchin' to go

Jr. Prospect

• 29 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:12 PM

Depends on the goal. If your linemates did all the work and you were in the right place at the right time. Then no solo celabration. If you just deked a top pair defensemen and roofed it topshelf. Rock on!

#14 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,771 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:19 PM

This really has been discussed before here I believe.  Every team has a player that has "showboated" before.  Some players do it after they get their first goal, or score a playoff goal, or when they make a big play.  Pascal is someone I never have seen showboat (don't watch him very much), but apparently he did today (if you want to call it that).  Its the same thing in the rec leagues.  Some players just go nuts when they score and then others are low key.

Personally, I want to see more people get excited when they score.  Hockey is an intense sport, and when I see a player pump fists like Hossa did last night, I really can see that intensity at that time.  Its a lot of fun for me.  The NHL doesn't need to turn into the NFL when it comes to celebrations where even a simple dance in the end zone can result in the penalty.  Let the players play and celebrate within reason.  The Yakapov goal is about the limit I would allow, and I never see anyone go above and beyond that.

Once again, its all based on perception, but I lean more towards "Feel free to celebrate".

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#15 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:20 PM

Need more Naslunds in this league

bringit.jpg

#16 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:58 PM

I love the showboats.  Why try to take excitement out of the game?  They want more goals because they want more cellies.

Can't stand the word "cellies" just for the record.
It doesn't take excitement out of the game in my opinion. And there's a big difference between showing excitement and being kind of classless about it and I think a lot of players cross the line.
Also I think your statement is kind of ridiculous. They should want more goals because it helps their TEAM...not because they want to feel like a rock star.

Edited by Ally, 01 May 2013 - 10:00 PM.

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#17 PumpIron

PumpIron

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:00 PM

as long as they don't start dancing like football players...im fine with it

#18 MCleveland89

MCleveland89

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:12 PM

I could careless. If I was in the NHL, I'd be going nuts too if I scored.

#19 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:56 PM

I couldn't care less. If I was in the NHL, I'd be going nuts too if I scored.

sorry

Edited by irishock, 01 May 2013 - 10:56 PM.

bringit.jpg

#20 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:02 PM

I love it. It shows emotion. The one time I don't like it is if you're down 5-0 with a min to go and you score. Then no don't celebrate cause you don't deserve it. But guys like Kane and ovi I love it. It shows up emotion shows they care.

as long as they don't start dancing like football players...im fine with it

I agree we don't need a ray lewis scene. Little overboard.