• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Fedorovfan

Red Wings should target Clarkson

Rate this topic

Let's see. For their careers, Clarkson scores .217 goals per NHL game. Weiss scores .216 per NHL game. Weiss is 30-turns 31 in April. Clarkson is 29 and turns 30 in March. Clarkson's cap hit is a whole 325,000 per year higher than Weiss. The big difference is Clarkson has 6 years left on his deal, Weiss has 4. if Tor called today and offered to do a 1 for 1 trade, I very well might do it. if it was 1 for 1 with Franzen I would do it so fast their heads would spin.

Clarkson's goals average is skewed because of a big year. He generates no offense on his own and doesn't skate or play defense well. He's Homer with worse hands. Weiss skates well, generates offense for his linemates, and can be trusted on the ice against the other team's top line.

If you think that .001 goals a game more is meaningful in any way I seriously question your knowledge.

Big difference? No. But the fact is for their careers he out scores Weiss, a guy many think is a good player. I do not. I have no delusions as to what type of player Clarkson is-the type we need more of. He is a good sized, tough RHed shooting RW that scores goals and brings toughness to a team.

That being said, will he ever be here? Of course not. Will we be glad someday that we signed Weiss? I hope so, but doubt it.

Big difference? No. But the fact is for their careers he out scores Weiss, a guy many think is a good player. I do not. I have no delusions as to what type of player Clarkson is-the type we need more of. He is a good sized, tough RHed shooting RW that scores goals and brings toughness to a team.

That being said, will he ever be here? Of course not. Will we be glad someday that we signed Weiss? I hope so, but doubt it.

If those goal rates hold up, it's one goal over a 1000 game career. What's the assist differential, 2.5 or 3 to one in favor of Weiss? And how is a defensively responsible center who has consistently been near or over 50 points in 5 of the last 6 full seasons he played not a good player?

Who cares about the assist difference. Doesn't matter in this conversation because they play different positions. C's are supposed to have assists, wingers should have goals. At least that is the traditional roles in hockey. Weiss was good for 50ish points per year as a #1 C, which is pretty run of the mill. he is an average NHL Cman, nothing more. he has also been hurt the last 2 years now. Let's have him prove he can stay healthy and play for a while then we can revisit this again.

Who cares about the assist difference. Doesn't matter in this conversation because they play different positions. C's are supposed to have assists, wingers should have goals. At least that is the traditional roles in hockey. Weiss was good for 50ish points per year as a #1 C, which is pretty run of the mill. he is an average NHL Cman, nothing more. he has also been hurt the last 2 years now. Let's have him prove he can stay healthy and play for a while then we can revisit this again.

If you follow this logic then Weiss goals must matter more than Clarksons, right ? Because Weiss is supposed just to give assists so he has to work harder for his goals which are just the icing on the cake.

We'll see who is better after Weiss played a few more games uninjured here, before that it's pure speculation how is better. But I agree that Weiss is likely to fit better into our system than Clarkson.

Their goal pace puts Clarkson at one more goal than Weiss over a 1000 game career, so by your own logic he's underperforming because he won't outscore Weiss even though his "job" is to score goals.

Never mind that the whole argument about whether wingers should get any assists is completely wrong.

Clarkson has 4 goals in 39 games, right he totally scores goals... oh right let's mention that ONE year he got 30 goals, I think he should have gotten more than 5.25 million/year, Toronto got a steal, hey it's not like he only scores 10-15 goals every other year right?

Clarkson has 4 goals in 39 games, right he totally scores goals... oh right let's mention that ONE year he got 30 goals, I think he should have gotten more than 5.25 million/year, Toronto got a steal, hey it's not like he only scores 10-15 goals every other year right?

The unbelievable Weiss has 2 goals and two assists so yes even an atrocious Clarkson is outscoring him and don't blame it on the injury Clarkson has missed a ton of time too.

Clarkson at least brings an element of toughenss, physicality and intangibles Weiss doesn't do that. Anyway it is what it is, at this point all we can hope for is that Weiss turns it around.

I just want to point out that Dan Cleary has been scratched from the lineup for the last seven games. We have also gone 5-1-1 in that time. Coincidence? I think not. OK, I'm done strumming my one-stringed guitar.

How many threads will you post this exact thing in?

The unbelievable Weiss has 2 goals and two assists so yes even an atrocious Clarkson is outscoring him and don't blame it on the injury Clarkson has missed a ton of time too.

Clarkson at least brings an element of toughenss, physicality and intangibles Weiss doesn't do that. Anyway it is what it is, at this point all we can hope for is that Weiss turns it around.

Difference is Weiss typically scores 20-30 goals, Clarkson did that once, you do see the difference right? Weiss should get back to his normal play, whereas Clarkson is playing the way his career would suggest he should.