Red Wings should target Clarkson

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Fedorovfan

Fedorovfan

humble servant

• 45 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:52 AM

Power forward David Clarkson would be a great addition to the Wings.

He scored 30 goals in '11-'12 & followed it up with 15 in '13.

He plays punishing defense and could be the big free agent the Wings didn't get last Summer.

Lets go Red Wings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:31 AM

Pretty sure there is actually another thread on this. As there is several who feel the same.

I also like Horton.

#3 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:49 AM

If we got Clarkson, I think i'd piss myself.

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska

#4 number9

number9

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:22 AM

Thank god this didn't, in KH I trust

#5 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:13 PM

I had initially thought this was a new thread and I was ready to light this thread up lol

Posted Image

Sig courtesy of TeeMan

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting forwards, then dangles 2 defenceman, and follows it up by doing "the datsyuk" on his victims, then calmly skates back to his bench ,and goes home to his girlfriend back in the motherland.

R.I.P Bob Probert
1965-2010

#6 number9

number9

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:02 AM

I had initially thought this was a new thread and I was ready to light this thread up lol

Clarkson and Bickell both similar big targets, both huge busts

#7 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:43 AM

Sorry, but no. Like his playing style, but 7 years at $5.25m? Pass thank you very much

temp 1

#8 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:27 AM

Hahaha I thought the same thing

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#9 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:02 PM

I remember when the Clarkson fad was big around here, a lot of people were angry when we didn't get him. I was against this from the get go and i'm really glad it didn't happen, turned out to be one of the biggest busts and worst contracts handed out during last offseason's market.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#10 number9

number9

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:29 AM

I remember when the Clarkson fad was big around here, a lot of people were angry when we didn't get him. I was against this from the get go and i'm really glad it didn't happen, turned out to be one of the biggest busts and worst contracts handed out during last offseason's market.

Bickell as well, and their were rumors the wings were interested in him, god bless KH and gang

#11 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:51 AM

He has missed some time and is trying to adjust to the most difficult market outthere with tons of pressure. I'd take him over Weiss every day at least he brings physicality  and intangibles that's something you can't teach.

But yes, so far he hasn't looked good same goes for Weiss and some other signings. We'll see when all is said and done.

lidsretire2.jpg

Thank you so much perfect human being #5

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

Phase I: injury rattled roster Phase II: BABCOCK Phase III: Playoffs XXIII !

#12 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:50 AM

Clarkson scored what he did by a combination of luck and the Devils PP strategy being "bank the puck in off Clarkson."  He does nothing to create offense, isn't that great of a skater, and plays a style that doesn't lend itself to a long career.  Even if he had 2 or 3 good years, that's a horrendously bad contract.

Edited by DickieDunn, 20 February 2014 - 08:50 AM.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#13 number9

number9

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:32 AM

Clarkson scored what he did by a combination of luck and the Devils PP strategy being "bank the puck in off Clarkson."  He does nothing to create offense, isn't that great of a skater, and plays a style that doesn't lend itself to a long career.  Even if he had 2 or 3 good years, that's a horrendously bad contract.

As long as he keeps shop wreckin he'll have a place in the NHL. He does that very well. But yeah, other than that he's just an overpaid sack of meat.

#14 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:37 AM

i'd rather pay 5 mill for weiss than clarkson....

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#15 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:06 PM

He has missed some time and is trying to adjust to the most difficult market outthere with tons of pressure. I'd take him over Weiss every day at least he brings physicality  and intangibles that's something you can't teach.

But yes, so far he hasn't looked good same goes for Weiss and some other signings. We'll see when all is said and done.

And he of course would make sure that all the water bottles were taken care of properly.

Money on the Board 2014: $5 per series, $5 per sweep, $5 per Kronwalling, $10 per Marchand Kronwalling, $1 per Zetterberg game, $1 per 2013 Calder Cup roster player goal

#16 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:10 PM

And he of course would make sure that all the water bottles were taken care of properly.

Haha one of my favorite HBO moments *lol*

lidsretire2.jpg

Thank you so much perfect human being #5

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

Phase I: injury rattled roster Phase II: BABCOCK Phase III: Playoffs XXIII !

#17 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:21 PM

I discussed the signing with some pro-Leafs friends of mine during the off-season and told them they'd regret the contract in three years... I was a little off, time wise.

#18 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:09 PM

This is always the risk when you bring in any player. be it through trade, UFA, or up from the minors. You never know how it will turn out. Clarkson was very good in NJ and has not been in Tor. Weiss was good in Florida, not here with us. Flip quit on us, yet has been good in TB. on and on it goes.

As for Holland sometimes he wins sometimes he loses. He passed on Ryan and O'Rielly. 2 20 goals scorers this year, and yes we are an offensively challenged team.

#19 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:17 PM

This is always the risk when you bring in any player. be it through trade, UFA, or up from the minors. You never know how it will turn out. Clarkson was very good in NJ and has not been in Tor. Weiss was good in Florida, not here with us. Flip quit on us, yet has been good in TB. on and on it goes.
As for Holland sometimes he wins sometimes he loses. He passed on Ryan and O'Rielly. 2 20 goals scorers this year, and yes we are an offensively challenged team.

Anyone who looked at Clarkson closely could tell that he wasn't worth what he got.

Holland didn't pass on Ryan the Sens had a better package. O'Reilly was never a real option.

Edited by DickieDunn, 20 February 2014 - 09:18 PM.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#20 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:53 PM

DD neither of us truly know what was offered/said etc..... during the trade talks. What we do know and was quoted many time KH: "We had questions about Ryans compete level so we didn't purse very far". That was beaten to death here and many other places. There were also quotes about inquiring about O'reilly last year and passing on him. Point is, things happen. Same is true with both Clarkson and Weiss. Clarkson is not worthless, he is very good. In fact he is a very good shooter-which is how he scores many of his goals. he is not a Holmstrom type, much better overall player. But sometimes when you miss 10 games to start a season-suspended, then get hurt, and have the pressure of going home, things don't go well. Some for Weiss. yes he should be a 50 point guy for us. But he has been hurt and was pressuring himself-life long dream to be a RW, so he wasn't playing well. The good news for both guys is, they have many more years to redeem themselves.