Din758

Flyers to buyout Briere

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

The whole team was awful...not just him

Ask Flyers fans. He was especially bad.

Guest Crymson

video

That montage is over two years old. Aside from some flashes in the playoffs---last year's being against the worst playoff goaltender of the post-lockout era---he has been in steady decline for the past three seasons.

Edited by Crymson

Show of hands, how many people who are interested in Briere are the same people who wanted nothing to do with Weiss over in the other thread because he was too small to play center for our team going forward? I'm not going to bother checking, but there's got to be some.

Anyway, no thanks on Briere. He's had a great career and all, and he's got a lot of moxy, but I like center's who play defense. For that matter, so do the coaches and management. Which is why we have the system we do, and why Danny Briere won't be donning the Winged Wheel in this lifetime.

Show of hands, how many people who are interested in Briere are the same people who wanted nothing to do with Weiss over in the other thread because he was too small to play center for our team going forward? I'm not going to bother checking, but there's got to be some.

Anyway, no thanks on Briere. He's had a great career and all, and he's got a lot of moxy, but I like center's who play defense. For that matter, so do the coaches and management. Which is why we have the system we do, and why Danny Briere won't be donning the Winged Wheel in this lifetime.

I am a firm no on both. Both are old, small, EXPENSIVE, and are guys that we have a bunch of. We are already filled up at the forward position. As of today guys like Tatar, Nyquist, Andersson, etc... are in danger of being in the minors. Adding a Briere or Weiss only increases that chance. What they can produce can be found in the 3 younger guys for a lot less money. Now if we are talking about adding Big Vinny from TB after a buyout, that would be different. he is a very different type of player than what we already have.

Guest Kronstantinov

I am a firm no on both. Both are old, small, EXPENSIVE, and are guys that we have a bunch of. We are already filled up at the forward position. As of today guys like Tatar, Nyquist, Andersson, etc... are in danger of being in the minors. Adding a Briere or Weiss only increases that chance. What they can produce can be found in the 3 younger guys for a lot less money. Now if we are talking about adding Big Vinny from TB after a buyout, that would be different. he is a very different type of player than what we already have.

I'm with you on this. No to Briere or Weiss (they just offer what the Wings already have in abundance and Briere is declining) but LeCavalier could be a good fit for the Wings at the right price.

Guest Crymson

I'm with you on this. No to Briere or Weiss (they just offer what the Wings already have in abundance and Briere is declining) but LeCavalier could be a good fit for the Wings at the right price.

The last thing the Wings need is to take on Lecavalier's absurd contract. The guy is in decline, and having his huge cap hit until 2020 would not be a good thing, especially given the enormous cap penalties the Wings would be subject to were he to retire early.

Guest Johnz96

The last thing the Wings need is to take on Lecavalier's absurd contract. The guy is in decline, and having his huge cap hit until 2020 would not be a good thing, especially given the enormous cap penalties the Wings would be subject to were he to retire early.

Tampa is buying out his contract, he will be a UFA.

I've been a fan of Briere's since he was a rookie with Phoenix. But even so, I don't think the Wings need another small center with waning skills and lots of heart. Danny's a good man, hope he winds up with a team where he is appreciated and where he excels.

Guest The Axe

DeKeyser? We'll keep that one.

Oops! I forgot that one. How about this:

"Just say no to multiple Dannies"

??