• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RedWingsRox

Tortorella offered coaching job in Vancouver

Rate this topic

Ya I have heard that on the radio, also heard the way I mentioned. Either way I don't really care. Should be more interesting though if it happens. To my knowledge the hiring hasn't been actually confirmed yet.

Since you are in 604 as well, then you probably read all the rumours that this is more of an ownership hiring and not Gillis' style. He seems to be more of the John Stevens type. One never knows when it comes to these things. Gillis should have been fired already if you ask me.

It actually might be what this team needs. They've got all the skill in the world, but little toughness, and are chronic under achievers. On a short term basis Torts might be able to light a fire under these guys. I don't think it will work for them long term, but he could do like Ken Hitchcock did with St. Louis and get them playing up to their talent level for a couple years.

It actually might be what this team needs. They've got all the skill in the world, but little toughness, and are chronic under achievers. On a short term basis Torts might be able to light a fire under these guys. I don't think it will work for them long term, but he could do like Ken Hitchcock did with St. Louis and get them playing up to their talent level for a couple years.

To me this sounds like a big gamble. The Canucks are an incredible talented offensive team so Tortarellas blocking shots - ???? - profit trible type of system won't work there. To me this just looks like Gillis is getting very desperate or the owners are already calling the shot and at that point we all know, which axe will come down next.

The expectations in Vancouver are through the roof, media attention is worse than in New York - they are the only hotstory 24/7 - and now you bring in a guy, who is known for blasting his players in the media AND starting wars with the media? This screams disaster.

To me this sounds like a big gamble. The Canucks are an incredible talented offensive team so Tortarellas blocking shots - ???? - profit trible type of system won't work there. To me this just looks like Gillis is getting very desperate or the owners are already calling the shot and at that point we all know, which axe will come down next. The expectations in Vancouver are through the roof, media attention is worse than in New York - they are the only hotstory 24/7 - and now you bring in a guy, who is known for blasting his players in the media AND starting wars with the media? This screams disaster.

I agree, and I'm not even saying that was their thought process when hiring Torts. I guess I"m more suggesting that the best case scenario for Vancouver is the situation I mentioned previously. Worst case it's a huge failure. Either way I don't really care, but I've always thought that Vancouver would perform a little better with a more hard nosed coach. Torts fits that bill, in spite of his obvious shortcomings.

I agree, and I'm not even saying that was their thought process when hiring Torts. I guess I"m more suggesting that the best case scenario for Vancouver is the situation I mentioned previously. Worst case it's a huge failure. Either way I don't really care, but I've always thought that Vancouver would perform a little better with a more hard nosed coach. Torts fits that bill, in spite of his obvious shortcomings.

Well for the other teams this could turn out well. According to some "Tweets" some Canuck players are already holding their breath and thats even before he has officially been named the new head-coach. To me this is a clear message, that some players don't want him as coach and aren't willing to play for him. If thats the case, I could easily see guys like Hamhuis, Kesler and Bieksa being available very soon.

If against all odds this is working out well, then the Canucks will be a force to fear again.

@GinoRedaTSN: "This is the mess I put myself into, and it's a mess I need to get out of. But you know what? I'm a pretty good coach too."- Tortorella

@GinoRedaTSN: "I put a couple of players in bad situations. That's what hit home to me. It will be rectified."- Tortorella -Very real emotion

Canucks need a coach to get the team to live up to their talent level and win clutch games, so they hired the coach of the Rangers??

The best part of this move is Luongo's response on twitter:

Strombone ‏@strombone1 15h

I'M WILLING TO STAY, BE THE BACK UP AND PLAY FOR FREE IF THEY LET ME SIT IN AT EVERY TORTS PRESSER! #MAN #MYTH #LEGEND

My opinion of Luongo in the last year has changed dramatically. He's been the model of a professional throughout the whole Schneider fiasco, and has had some pretty hilarious tweets. Still loved his tweet that appeared right in the height of the goaltending controversy where when he could have complained about his mistreatment, he rather posted a picture of the toilet he used when he had an emergency bathroom situation during the 2007 Semi-Finals against the Ducks.

Strombone ‏@strombone1

And this is where the magic happened...... #anaheim #playoffs2007 #squirts #�� pic.twitter.com/TZmjhnOJ

BBg-87jCQAAQ7Oe.jpg-large1.jpeg

Edited by Hockeytown0001

@GinoRedaTSN: "This is the mess I put myself into, and it's a mess I need to get out of. But you know what? I'm a pretty good coach too."- Tortorella

@GinoRedaTSN: "I put a couple of players in bad situations. That's what hit home to me. It will be rectified."- Tortorella -Very real emotion

What good is it if he realizes those things AFTER he's been fired?

The Canucks have about a season and a half to achieve something great with Tortorella. That seems like his shelf life.

What good is it if he realizes those things AFTER he's been fired?

The Canucks have about a season and a half to achieve something great with Tortorella. That seems like his shelf life.

Maybe he's saying he's learned from his mistakes?