• This topic is locked This topic is locked
96 replies to this topic

#1 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:47 PM

@HeleneStJames: #RedWings D Brendan Smith filed for salary arbitration. Per Ken Holland, Wings will ask for 2-year deal, if it does go to arbitration.

Edit: start of the Sammy maneuver?

Edited by BottleOfSmoke, 10 July 2013 - 04:48 PM.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#2 McAwesome

McAwesome

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:51 PM

@HeleneStJames: #RedWings D Brendan Smith filed for salary arbitration. Per Ken Holland, Wings will ask for 2-year deal, if it does go to arbitration.

From your mouth to Young Floating Mike Babcock's ears...

7yss.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#3 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:53 PM

Good. His indifferent play last season ought to get us a good value.

#4 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:53 PM

God, I hope so. Sign Gus and hopefully Andy files - then they have the two necessary players going to arbitration.

#5 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:16 PM

I came to post the same thing.  Atta boy.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#6 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:48 PM

Actually, wasn't today the deadline for player-elected salary arbitration? Which would mean that we don't have the two necessary hearings for the 2nd buyout period. These rules make my head hurt.

#7 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:53 PM

My thoughts exactly. For now I'm definitely not sold on Smitty. Hopefully with experience and time he will improve. But for now I have not been too impressed

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#8 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:57 PM

I came to post the same thing.  Atta boy.

Same here

Actually, wasn't today the deadline for player-elected salary arbitration? Which would mean that we don't have the two necessary hearings for the 2nd buyout period. These rules make my head hurt.

I don't think so. Quincey filed pretty late last year

Just double checked. I think you're right

Edited by Euro_Twins, 10 July 2013 - 06:02 PM.

#9 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,235 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:59 PM

I don't know why some ppl are on Smith's ass so much.  He's only played for 1/2 a season in the NHL and only 13 games in 2011-2012. 

#10 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:02 PM

I don't know why some ppl are on Smith's ass so much.  He's only played for 1/2 a season in the NHL and only 13 games in 2011-2012. 

So you're saying he should be a superstar already or let him walk?.....

#11 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:03 PM

He's only played for 1/2 a season in the NHL and only 13 games in 2011-2012. 

It's just that, at times, he didn't play those games very well.

I like his upside ... he should be very good, in time.

#12 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:05 PM

Because he played terrible during that 1/2 season.  You could say the same thing about Dekeyser, only he played even fewer games.  You know what the difference is?  One of them didn't make several boneheaded mistakes each game, while failing to live up to the one thing that got them to the NHL in the first place.  Brendan Smith was awful, defensively (which I don't care about as much because it was always a given that he'd need to improve there) AND offensively (which is a worse sin since he was supposedly an offensive defenseman).

I'm sure he'll improve.  But you can't whitewash the truth.  Yes he was a rookie, so is every player at one time or another.  But not every rookie sucks doorknobs. 

Edited by kipwinger, 10 July 2013 - 06:05 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#13 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:06 PM

Wasn't it Z who said re: Smith..."he creates a lot of chances. For both teams."

:lol:

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#14 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:13 PM

It's just that, at times, he didn't play those games very well.

I like his upside ... he should be very good, in time.

Agreed. He just needs a couple years like most D-men do. Ericsson took 4-5 years to become a decent player.

Edited by MidMichSteve, 10 July 2013 - 06:14 PM.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#15 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:19 PM

Because he played terrible during that 1/2 season.  You could say the same thing about Dekeyser, only he played even fewer games.  You know what the difference is?  One of them didn't make several boneheaded mistakes each game, while failing to live up to the one thing that got them to the NHL in the first place.  Brendan Smith was awful, defensively (which I don't care about as much because it was always a given that he'd need to improve there) AND offensively (which is a worse sin since he was supposedly an offensive defenseman).

I'm sure he'll improve.  But you can't whitewash the truth.  Yes he was a rookie, so is every player at one time or another.  But not every rookie sucks doorknobs. 

Dekeyser played unreasonably well for someone jumping into the NHL like that.  Most defensemen when they enter the league play closer to how Smith did than Dekeyser.

I'll fully admit I was hoping for more from Smith.  I'm still confident he'll become a much stronger player over time though.  As I've mentioned before, Jiri Fischer was despised on these boards for the longest time.  You can't give up on players right away.  (And by "you", I don't literally mean you, Kip, I mean the large group of people here that bash Smith.)  There's frequently a huge lack of patience here.

#16 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:23 PM

Dekeyser played unreasonably well for someone jumping into the NHL like that.  Most defensemen when they enter the league play closer to how Smith did than Dekeyser.

I'll fully admit I was hoping for more from Smith.  I'm still confident he'll become a much stronger player over time though.  As I've mentioned before, Jiri Fischer was despised on these boards for the longest time.  You can't give up on players right away.  (And by "you", I don't literally mean you, Kip, I mean the large group of people here that bash Smith.)  There's frequently a huge lack of patience here.

Yeah I agree, he'll get better there's no question about it.  And how could he not after last season's performance lol. 

He'll be fine. 

#17 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:26 PM

Smith will be fine. Take it easy guys... not saying that he will win Norris but please remember PK Subban
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#18 DyingAlive

DyingAlive

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:58 PM

God, I hope so. Sign Gus and hopefully Andy files - then they have the two necessary players going to arbitration.

What is this you are talking about? If two RFA's file for arbitration it then would help the Wings buy out Samuelsson? :eh:

Posted Image

#19 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:16 PM

What is this you are talking about? If two RFA's file for arbitration it then would help the Wings buy out Samuelsson? :eh:

It was brought up by another member here, but Samuelsson avoided the compliance buyout period because of his pectoral injury. There was (or is, not sure) a chance that he could still be bought out using an ordinary buyout, where the cap hit would only be 1 million this year and 1 million next year.

11.18 Ordinary Course Buy-Outs Outside the Regular Period.

"Clubs shall have the right to

exercise Ordinary Course Buy-Outs outside the regular period for Ordinary Course Buy-Outs in
accordance with Paragraph 13©(ii) of the SPC. Each Club shall be limited to no more than
three (3) such Buy-Outs outside the regular period over the term of this Agreement pursuant to
Paragraph 13 of the SPC. However, in the event that a Club has only one salary arbitration
hearing pursuant to Section 12.3(a) in a given League Year, such Club shall not be entitled to
exercise such an Ordinary Course Buy-Out outside the regular period.
"

http://cdn.agilitycm...PA_2013_CBA.pdf

However, considering that Smith was the only one to take the team to arbitration, and today was the deadline for player-filed arbitration, I think this window has passed as well  <_< 

#20 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:46 PM

Smith has an ego enough to do this after his play last season? LOL THESE KIDS ARE HILARIOUS