Photo
- - - - -

Who will be LGW's whipping boy this season?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,525 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:21 AM

I disagree. Abby isn't on that line to produce 20 goals. He's there to make space for pav and z so they can score. His job will be to go to the corners and park himself in front of the net.

I agree to a certain extent with what you said...

Anyone with a smidgen of talent who's lucky to ride shotgun with those guys should be able to get 20 plus goals throughout a 82 game season...

I'm afraid we may very well see 'golden opportunities' go amiss during this season since Abby lacks a scorer's touch/ability, and generally looks outta place...Hope he proves me wrong, and scores 40 goals.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#22 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:07 PM

I think you're right that there will be nights that Abdelkader's lack of skill will cost us goals and points, but ultimately if his forechecking, work in the corners, and net front presence enable Pav and Hank to score 80pts, then he's doing his job.

Can't decide if I'm surprised or not by the number of votes for Babcock/Holland.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#23 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:16 PM

I agree to a certain extent with what you said...

Anyone with a smidgen of talent who's lucky to ride shotgun with those guys should be able to get 20 plus goals throughout a 82 game season...

I'm afraid we may very well see 'golden opportunities' go amiss during this season since Abby lacks a scorer's touch/ability, and generally looks outta place...Hope he proves me wrong, and scores 40 goals.

Abby playing with z and pav is by no means an excuse for not producing at all. I expect him to rack up a significant number of assists from feeding the puck to his line mates. If he's dragging the line down I will show him no mercy. My support for Abby is based mostly on the fact that I have a feeling that cleary would be his replacement on the top line.

#24 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:20 PM

So long as they are on this team, Cleary and Quincey will be my whipping boys...along wih the occasional jab at Franzen.

Bertuzzi and Sammy won't be healthy enough, long enough to become a whipping boy...

BTW, Helm is done.  Just my opinion...

Edited by LeftWinger, 02 October 2013 - 12:23 PM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#25 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:06 PM

Anyone who is having an off day, or hasn't scored in two periods. No one but Datsyuk is immune to being whipped

#26 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:41 PM

mule. lazy players dont belong on line 2.

#27 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,909 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:56 PM

I just saw that Sammy will play on the 4th line tonight. 

As a $3 million player with a NTC  now playing on the 4th line, he and Holland may be my new scapegoats.

#28 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:24 PM

Personally, I see Samuelsson, Cleary, Franzen, Bertuzzi, and Quincey as candidates. Seems there are a lot of players that aren't particularly liked by the LGW crowd (including myself, admittedly).

I just saw that Sammy will play on the 4th line tonight. 

As a $3 million player with a NTC  now playing on the 4th line, he and Holland may be my new scapegoats.

Yeah, I'm still picking up the remains of my blown mind after seeing that Sammy is starting on the 4th line.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#29 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,196 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:34 PM

#1 Samuelsson

#2 Cleary

#3 Holland for signing Cleary and moving Nyquist to GR

#4 Babcock for playing scrubs in place of Tatar

#5 Holland again for giving Babcock scrubs to take Tatar and Nyquist's spots

I'm off Quincey's back cause he turned his game around late last year and played good in the playoffs.  I would let him walk after this year to make room for Sproul and Ouellet to come up, but that's just me.  For now, he's serviceable.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#30 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:45 PM

Quincey.

#31 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,891 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:29 AM

Sammy gets a two-day reprieve.  :D

#32 TheRealPedro

TheRealPedro

Draftee

• 3 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:08 AM

Personally I plan on blaming nearly every loss on Samuelsson.

#33 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:09 PM

My top picks:

#1 Cleary: (did anyone who knows me not see that coming?) He is older, slower, more injury prone. And he's blocking younger players from getting ice time.

#2 3rd line wingers: Bert should either be on a line with Dats or be sitting in the presser. Sameulsson... well, I am counting of the fact hes fragile and will end up on the LTIR. 

#3 Abdelkader: Sure he can crash a bit, but, realistically, hes not a power forward by any stretch, and the more that become obvious the less people will like him on the first line.

#4 Alfie or Smith: If either of them don't live up to expectations, I could see them losing popularity fast.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#34 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:25 PM

So the season is over with Cleary the runaway leader till he played himself into early retirement.

HMs go to Quincey and Howard, although both played better 2nd half.  Piet van Zant also scores a surprise podium.

Franzen is the clear leader as the Playoff scapegoat and the early favourite for 14-15 Whipping Boy

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#35 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:33 PM

So the season is over with Cleary the runaway leader till he played himself into early retirement.

HMs go to Quincey and Howard, although both played better 2nd half.  Piet van Zant also scores a surprise podium.

Franzen is the clear leader as the Playoff scapegoat and the early favourite for 14-15 Whipping Boy

I think Quincey was the runaway leader in the first half of the season lol

#36 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:40 PM

Kindl and Lashoff got it pretty bad down the stretch.  But I'm going to say it was the triumvirate of Bert, Sammy, and Cleary.  Despite having almost ZERO effect on our team (good or bad), they still managed to get blamed for everything all the time.  Go back and look at the GDTs.  Never have three guys been blamed for so much after playing so little.

Edited by kipwinger, 02 May 2014 - 12:41 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#37 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:38 PM

I don't think the effect was zero, though.  Cleary's signing directly lead to Nyquist being sent to GR.  The roster spots and salaries and NTC of the three headed monster most certainly prevented other roster moves from being made an d probably lead to Eaves' departure and Tootoo being buried in the minors (not saying either of them are better or would have contributed more, just that their presence did have a domino effect, even if they weren't on the ice)

#38 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:45 PM

I don't think the effect was zero, though.  Cleary's signing directly lead to Nyquist being sent to GR.  The roster spots and salaries and NTC of the three headed monster most certainly prevented other roster moves from being made an d probably lead to Eaves' departure and Tootoo being buried in the minors (not saying either of them are better or would have contributed more, just that their presence did have a domino effect, even if they weren't on the ice)

Ok perhaps "zero effect" was a misstatement.  Zero effect on the success of the team.  Of course it had an effect...Chris Illitch would have to sell a hell of a lot less pizzas had they all disappeared in the Bermuda Triangle a year ago. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#39 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 02:03 PM

I get where you're coming from.  But I also see why fans were so frustrated with Cleary and Samuelsson, and to a lesser extent, Bertuzzi.  They didn't produce, they couldn't be traded and we were stuck with their salaries, cap hits and roster spots.  It was like the Wings were drowning and they were the anchors.  But I guess if there's anyone to blame for that, it's Holland. 

#40 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 02:27 PM

Anyone who doesn't show up for a game that day