• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 HIFI_canadian

HIFI_canadian

Give me some of that TATAR sauce

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 07:23 PM

Is anyone else annoyed with the young announcer and as soon as the wings score at home the announcer right away says "DTE Light the lamp Goal..". I get we have sponsors but I don't know any other building that does that and I've been to a lot of away games.

tomastatar.png

#2 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 07:30 PM

Obviously, DTE is shelling out money for that.  No different than a "Belle Tire Power Play" or the "Call Sam Studios" on TV.  I agree though, it's annoying.

#3 HIFI_canadian

HIFI_canadian

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 07:34 PM

Obviously, DTE is shelling out money for that.  No different than a "Belle Tire Power Play" or the "Call Sam Studios" on TV.  I agree though, it's annoying

It interferes with the goal horn too, not cool.

tomastatar.png

#4 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:17 PM

Sadly, it hasn't happened enough.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#5 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:29 PM

it's just as stupid as this powerplay is brought to you by...or all that other sponsor crap.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#6 sjr2012

sjr2012

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:49 PM

I miss Bud Lynch

try to get something by me i dare you

:goalie:

#7 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:07 PM

This comment is brought to you by Coors Light.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#8 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:39 PM

Our college team has one where if the other team takes a penalty it's a Gander Mtn. power play. On the scoreboard it shows the player in the box and it says "Don't Be That Guy"

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#9 HIFI_canadian

HIFI_canadian

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:43 PM

I know Bud Lynch's absence has something to do with the annoyance but the announcer's voice (no offense to anyone that knows him personally) doesn't fit well with Hockey.

Our college team has one where if the other team takes a penalty it's a Gander Mtn. power play. On the scoreboard it shows the player in the box and it says "Don't Be That Guy"

Yeah but it's a college and they need sponsors. But we're talking about an original 6 NHL Franchise that should be using this sponsor in a different way, let alone the amount of sponsor banners around the scoreboard.

Edited by HIFI_canadian, 28 December 2013 - 11:49 PM.

tomastatar.png

#10 ToledoWingsFan

ToledoWingsFan

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:24 PM

In Toledo, we have our penalty kill sponsored...

#11 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:36 PM

I know Bud Lynch's absence has something to do with the annoyance but the announcer's voice (no offense to anyone that knows him personally) doesn't fit well with Hockey.

Yeah but it's a college and they need sponsors. But we're talking about an original 6 NHL Franchise that should be using this sponsor in a different way, let alone the amount of sponsor banners around the scoreboard.

LOL like being an original 6 has anything to do with getting money to pay the players salaries or keep the lights on!

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#12 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:18 PM

Many fans are understanding of all the advertising.  It's sad that the next arena won't be named in honor of a man like Joe Louis, but instead will be in honor of the highest bidder.

However, I'm with others that this various advertising gimmick is too far.  It detracts from the most exciting thing in hockey, a home team scoring a goal.  Goals are few and far between, and pivotal momentum points.  Goal celebrations should not be marred by sponsors.

Fans have been very accepting of all the various forms of advertising, including the computer generated advertisements that appear on the boards behind the goalies.  Fans reject the DTE goal advertisement because it gets in the way of the atmosphere of the most important part of the game. 

#13 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,125 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:20 PM

Many fans are understanding of all the advertising.  It's sad that the next arena won't be named in honor of a man like Joe Louis, but instead will be in honor of the highest bidder.

However, I'm with others that this various advertising gimmick is too far.  It detracts from the most exciting thing in hockey, a home team scoring a goal.  Goals are few and far between, and pivotal momentum points.  Goal celebrations should not be marred by sponsors.

Fans have been very accepting of all the various forms of advertising, including the computer generated advertisements that appear on the boards behind the goalies.  Fans reject the DTE goal advertisement because it gets in the way of the atmosphere of the most important part of the game. 

Just wait till we start getting all the advertising on the jerseys as well... Sigh

#14 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:43 PM

Just wait till we start getting all the advertising on the jerseys as well... Sigh

I hope not...

eurojersey.jpg

#15 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:21 PM

It's only going to get worse over time, they started with the ads along the boards which is fine, but now you are seeing these CG ads on the glass behind the goalie net, stranger arena names, and everything presenting or sponsoring some event in the game. I haven't seen professional sports in the USA advertise on jerseys of the more popular sports like the NFL so i'd assume it would hit those sports before it ever reaching the NHL. I'd guess it would begin with the super bowl, one little advertisement on the helmet and the jersey and then it building off of that, or even a website URL typed within the yellow CG line of scrimmage. 

There will be more creatively annoying ways to force more advertising into pro sports as the years go on, it's inevitable. I just hope it doesn't turn into the catastrophe that Holmstrom96 posted above. 

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#16 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:14 AM

Nothing will ever happen to Jerseys. That's brand suicide in NA (at least right now). The most we can expect is to have pretty much everything else turned into ads.

#17 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:57 AM

Times are changing.  As these leagues look for ways to generate more income, they will get more "creative".  Uniforms WILL be used for advertising.  I wouldn't expect something as gaudy as European uniforms, but a small patch or two on jerseys, maybe a helmet sticker, and something on the pants and/or socks is not a stretch.  Reebok's jersey deal expires after 2014/15 (Bauer is rumored to be the frontrunner to take over)... teams that have changed uniforms have gone with something simpler or less cluttered... minor league teams wear small patch ads... it's coming, sooner rather than later.

#18 Internet.Unknown

Internet.Unknown

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:19 PM

The new announcer sounds too NBA or WWE to me.