• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:10 PM

For those of you calling for Babcock's head.... Trust. Believe.... and give a healthy line up of Canadians :)

http://www.nhl.com/i...vid=DL|NHL|home

#2 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:18 PM

Not the same at all. Babs is a great, world-class coach. That isn't the issue with the Wings at all. The issue is if he is the right coach for the team Holland keeps putting together.

IPB Image

#3 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:27 PM

That's because none of the Canadian Olympians play for the Red Wings.  I keed, I keed.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#4 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:08 PM

Not the same at all. Babs is a great, world-class coach. That isn't the issue with the Wings at all. The issue is if he is the right coach for the team Holland keeps putting together.

The issue is Holland giving him dusty players to put on the ice with NTC's so the team is handcuffed to them.

#5 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:33 PM

Maybe the question should be if Holland is the right GM for Babcock? I'm hoping Holland will take his head out of Sweden's ass for a while.

Or... should Holland be thinking of going Jim Irsay's route and trading some still valued but aging bits for some more youthful (and hopefully Canadian) one's? I was not a fan of Irsay's move but has worked out like a charm for him, his organizations future and Peyton's as well (Manning leads Bronco's to the SuperBowl and shows his new ring to Irsay via twitter... you heard it here first)

Edited by The Secret, 21 January 2014 - 03:36 PM.

#6 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:56 PM

I think Babs is more or less pissed about the lineup and injuries and could care less if we make the playoffs or not. Holland probably said to him I know this roster sucks so if you make the playoffs great, if not I understand. Now with the injuries I think he doesn't expect to win any games until after the olympic break.

Good thing is we have seen some good development from our young guys. Maybe his coaching is directed towards developing these guys more so than winning with the vets playing just so the team doesn't completely fly off the rails like Edmonton.

I just don't understand Smith not on PP and Kindl still playing in NHL

#7 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:06 PM

The issue is Holland giving him dusty players to put on the ice with NTC's so the team is handcuffed to them.

That's certainly PART of the issue, and admittedly it's not insignificant.  But injuries have given everyone on this forum the youth movement that they wanted, and you see how Babs uses them.  That shouldn't be ignored or downplayed any more than Holland's dumb a** personnel moves of the last couple years.  Based on his use of them so far, it's pretty obvious that according to Babs the depth chart is something like this:

Top End Guys:

Dats, Z, Kronwall, Franzen, Alfie, Ericsson

"Reliable Vets":

Cleary, Bert, Quincey, Miller, Eaves, Abby, Helm

Responsible Youth:

Nyquist, Glendening, Andersson,

"Irresponsible" Youth:

Tatar, Kindl, Smith

New Wave Youth:

Jurco, Sheahan

Lastly:

Sammy

What makes anybody think that Babs is just pining for a youth movement.  Cut the dead wood and guys like Glendening, Andersson, and Nyquist get more ice time.  Not the guys who are actually creating momentum for us.

Edited by kipwinger, 21 January 2014 - 04:07 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#8 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:50 PM

I remember hearing that Babcock wanted Cleary back. We have a double edged sword of WTF running this team currently.

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#9 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:32 PM

Yeah, but do you think they'll ask Babs or Kenny to move on first?

IPB Image

#10 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:08 AM

Babcock sounds a lot like he has already quit on the season. That being said, he still doesn't trust the youth enough and that's hard to understand. The veterans just are over the hill, yes the kids will make mistakes but so what at least they are learning from it.

If Babcock and Holland aren't on the same boat anymore, then it's time for someone to go and I don't think Holland will make that decision alone, Mike Ilitch will for sure have something to say about it too. I still think Babcock is by far the best coach but every coach has a shelf life. Maybe he isn't happy with the way this team is built at all and that's why he doesn't trust the young guns who knows.

Edited by frankgrimes, 22 January 2014 - 06:09 AM.

lidsretire2.jpg

Thank you so much perfect human being #5

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

Phase I: injury rattled roster Phase II: BABCOCK Phase III: Playoffs XXIII !

#11 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,408 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:05 AM

Hockey Canada knows significant coaching talent when they see it.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#12 Firefighter4WingedWheel

Firefighter4WingedWheel

Jr. Prospect

• 29 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:13 AM

I think Babs is set in the old Detroit ways, where the vets dominate the playing time because of their longveity.  Like frankgrimes said the youth will make mistakes, but they will learn from it.  Whereas the vets who make the same mistakes aren't learning from them because they aren't mistakes, it's the way they have been doing it for years.  The classic "You can't teach an old dog new tricks."  The vets need to move aside and let the youth get some ice time and Babs and Holland need to realize this.  If not then it is time for a change.

12058313233_9807d41377_o.jpg

#13 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:20 AM

I think Babs is set in the old Detroit ways, where the vets dominate the playing time because of their longveity.  Like frankgrimes said the youth will make mistakes, but they will learn from it.  Whereas the vets who make the same mistakes aren't learning from them because they aren't mistakes, it's the way they have been doing it for years.  The classic "You can't teach an old dog new tricks."  The vets need to move aside and let the youth get some ice time and Babs and Holland need to realize this.  If not then it is time for a change.

Think so too, Babcock and Holland are used to seeing great players dominate and supportplayers being just that support players. Just because someonei s a veteran doesn't mean you they are going to play over their heads magically, ride the young generation and see where it leads.

I know tough love is part of the business, but cutting someones icetime because he made a mistake is not going to help let them play through it.

lidsretire2.jpg

Thank you so much perfect human being #5

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

Phase I: injury rattled roster Phase II: BABCOCK Phase III: Playoffs XXIII !

#14 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:24 AM

Yeah, but do you think they'll ask Babs or Kenny to move on first?

I'm hoping Kenny, but I can see Babs leaving first.

#15 number9

number9

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:32 AM

Has anyone else noticed a lot of too many men penalties this year? Babs has got to clean that up

I think Holland and Babs r perfect for each other. They both wanna play a softer skill game.

#16 Firefighter4WingedWheel

Firefighter4WingedWheel

Jr. Prospect

• 29 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:31 PM

Has anyone else noticed a lot of too many men penalties this year? Babs has got to clean that up

I think Holland and Babs r perfect for each other. They both wanna play a softer skill game.

That's great and all, but that's not the team we have on the ice.

12058313233_9807d41377_o.jpg

#17 number9

number9

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:34 PM

That's great and all, but that's not the team we have on the ice.

....wasn't talking about the team. Pretty sure I said something about Holland and Babs.

#18 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:00 PM

What? If that was true, then why all the injuries? Holland put together a softer team than Babs seems to realize.

IPB Image

#19 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:43 PM

I haven't seen qualities of a well coached team on the wings in the last 3 years

FA coming here and drastically under performing and then leaving and having career years

Lost us games in the playoffs by having the wrong lines on the ice in key situations. Never vice versa

I'm done with Babs. He has a key role in deciding players we sign as well

#20 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,408 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:18 PM

We are still talking about the Olympics, right?

I, for the life of me, cannot think of one individual who could supplant him. Besides, as I recall, he did all right four years ago.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.