Photo
* * * * - 5 votes

Trade deadline fast approaching - who should we target?

• Please log in to reply
1869 replies to this topic

#1761 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:16 PM

It's Mantha's 3rd season. Athansiou has played one more year and is only 1 month older than Mantha....

He's also the second oldest in the top ten scorers for the OHL, and in some cases its by 3-4 years. He's a man playing against boys.

The OHL is one of the most heavily scouted leagues, there is a reason why he went in the fourth round, not the first.

Edited by Shaman, 04 March 2014 - 04:17 PM.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#1762 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:23 PM

He's also the second oldest in the top ten scorers for the OHL, and in some cases its by 3-4 years. He's a man playing against boys.

The OHL is one of the most heavily scouted leagues, there is a reason why he went in the fourth round, not the first.

Well actually it's because he was fairly hidden on a stacked London Knights team and broke out after he was traded.

Also Mantha is a man against boys in his league as well...but doesn't seem to hurt his value...

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#1763 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:28 PM

It's Mantha's 3rd season. Athansiou has played one more year and is only 1 month older than Mantha....

Mantha also scored 50 last season ... I think his upside is way higher than athanasiou and I'd consider him above any other of our prospects if need be for a key trade

Disagree with mantha being the only high upside prospect though .... Someone mentioned jarnkrok only recently started playing good? Well isn't that what we want? Means he's finally getting it .... If he continues on this pace and gets a pt+ a game till the end of the season then there's a lot to be excited about

Pulkkinen's the same , wasn't sure on him but he's been scoring like crazy .... I do believe in a good situation with good linemates and his shot he can be at the least good for 20 goals

Petr mrazek has elite potential in my opinion .... Displayed dominating performances at the world juniors helped win the Calder cup In His first ahl season .... The kid just oozes confidence and nothing seems to phase him which is what a goalie needs to succeed

Only time will tell what happens to our prospects but I'd say we got way more player with high upside to be excited about

Edited by nyqvististhefuture, 04 March 2014 - 04:31 PM.

#1764 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:30 PM

Well actually it's because he was fairly hidden on a stacked London Knights team and broke out after he was traded.

Also Mantha is a man against boys in his league as well...but doesn't seem to hurt his value...

He wasn't hidden, he was considered a first rounder for awhile... he dropped because of questions on how well his speed would transition, how well his tools could come together (my favorite line about him is 'he has a lot of tools, but no toolbox'), and his commitment to learning defensive play. By the time the draft rolled around he fell to the 4th round. But don't kid yourself, he wasn't hidden or unknown.

Also look at the top 20 for the QMJHL vs the OHL. The OHL has a much larger spread of age compared to the QMJHL, whereas AA is on the highest end of the spectrum, Mantha is closer to the average age of the other top scorers.

Edited by Shaman, 04 March 2014 - 04:31 PM.

Im Wasser verbrannt

#1765 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:36 PM

Mantha also scored 50 last season ... I think his upside is way higher than athanasiou and I'd consider him above any other of our prospects if need be for a key trade

Nobody is arguing that.

He wasn't hidden, he was considered a first rounder for awhile... he dropped because of questions on how well his speed would transition, how well his tools could come together (my favorite line about him is 'he has a lot of tools, but no toolbox'), and his commitment to learning defensive play. By the time the draft rolled around he fell to the 4th round. But don't kid yourself, he wasn't hidden or unknown.

Also look at the top 20 for the QMJHL vs the OHL. The OHL has a much larger spread of age compared to the QMJHL, whereas AA is on the highest end of the spectrum, Mantha is closer to the average age of the other top scorers.

Sure is nice to see he's proving people wrong and living up to that high potential.  Not sure what he has to do to get respect...

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#1766 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:36 PM

Omg Luongo and Thomas are teammates

#1767 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:38 PM

Nobody is arguing that.

Sure is nice to see he's proving people wrong and living up to that high potential.  Not sure what he has to do to get respect...

It's also telling he didn't get an invite to the WJC camp for Canada. Again, this kid does not have top end talent. Everything about him shows if he makes it he will be a middle 6 player.

Im Wasser verbrannt

#1768 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:40 PM

For now... it has been a crazy day... tomorrow is gonna be interesting. I feel sorry for anyone that has to work or go to school tomorrow. I know every year since grade 9, I treated trade deadline day as a P.A day, will be the same this year as well haha.

#1769 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:59 PM

Hahaha never thought of that .... Why didn't you compliment me thomas! Lmao

Gotta think thomas will get dealt

#1770 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:12 PM

Happy for Luongo I am sure he is very happy to be out of this clusterf*** and Acquilani better acts quick, because no one will want to play for the Canucks under the duo of Torts + Gillis.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#1771 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:17 PM

He's not a man playing against boys. He's 19. Here's a website that shows the average age of The Erie Otters as 18.64, which is the youngest team in the league:

http://www.elitepros...am.php?team=868

Maybe other top scorers are younger, but the he's playing with players right around his age.

#1772 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:21 PM

What does that have to do with anything? My point is the Wings have been following a recipe of mediocrity the last few seasons which leave them in the worst possible spot a team can be in: Too good for a high pick, too bad to be an actual contender. 

So, just to be clear, you're saying you think Buffalo is currently in a better possible spot than Detroit is?  And, if you could, you would switch Detroit and Buffalo in the standings to obtain said more preferable spot?

#1773 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:24 PM

My new prediction:

Howard, Helm, Smith, Quincy, and Jensen to Vancouver for Kesler and Edler.

Weiss to Florida for Thomas.

Thomas plays out career in hometown until Mrzek is ready.

#1774 brooklynsour

brooklynsour

Fedorov

• PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:30 PM

Holyf****** s*** Lou just goes from one pile to a smellier pile, I cannot believe he was dealt back to FL especially everything last season, pathetic team management And I'm sure hes glad to be back

Edited by brooklynsour, 04 March 2014 - 05:32 PM.

#1775 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:43 PM

So, just to be clear, you're saying you think Buffalo is currently in a better possible spot than Detroit is?  And, if you could, you would switch Detroit and Buffalo in the standings to obtain said more preferable spot?

This season? No, next season? I'd rather see the Wings dead last than 7-10th place.

Im Wasser verbrannt

#1776 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:54 PM

I think, at most, the Wings may get a depth d-man by the deadline. The combination of asking prices, reluctance to give up prospects and the Wings likely more than a player away from contention all signal no major move will be made.

At some point, Holland is going to have to move some of the abundance of prospects if the Red Wings are going to complete seriously with the Euro-Twins. There's almost too much youth lingering now. I believe (hope) the Red Wings will be more active this summer instead.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#1777 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:15 PM

This season? No, next season? I'd rather see the Wings dead last than 7-10th place.

You would rather see them last then making the playoffs?
I'm sorry but that makes no sense.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#1778 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,094 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:28 PM

Well, would breaking the streak be s***ty? Yes. But if there's ever a year to be bad, it's next year. McDavid is the real deal.

#NOMOREKINDL

#1779 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:31 PM

What makes no sense? Having a shot at McDavid makes more sense than eeking into the playoffs and being eliminated in the first round.

Im Wasser verbrannt

#1780 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:38 PM

Chicago got a huge bargain getting Rundblad for a 2nd round pick. They don't need him very much but it was a bargain and they acquired the asset. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?