• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MabusIncarnate

Official 2014 Olympic Hockey Thread (Admin warning #316)

Rate this topic

1,601 posts in this topic

With Austria beating Norway the bottom of the standings are starting to become clearer.

• Slovakia will finish 12th if they lose to Russia by more than 1 goal. The only other team who could finish here is Norway.
  • Norway will finish 11th unless Slovakia beats Russia, forces overtime with Russia or loses by only 1 goal and scores at least 1 goal of their own. In that case they'd finish 12th
  • Latvia will finish 10th unless Slovakia forces overtime, in which case they'll finish in 11th and Slovakia would finish 10th
  • Austria will finish 9th unless Slovenia loses to the US by 7 or more goals.
  • Slovenia will finish 8th unless they lose by more than 7 goals to fall to 9th. If they win vs the US they have a few potential seedings. 3rd if Russia also lost, 5th if Russia wins, or 6th if they win in overtime. Just forcing OT would move them up to 7th.
  • Czech Republic will finish 7th unless Slovenia wins or forces OT vs the US, in which case they'd be 8th
  • Sweden will finish 1st if Canada vs Finland goes to OT, otherwise they'll be 2nd
  • USA can finish as low as 7th if they lose to Slovenia in regulation. They'll likely finish 2nd or 3rd depending on Canada vs Finland. If that game goes to OT there's a very good chance the US will finish 2nd. A Canada win in OT would only require the US to win by 2 over Slovenia to take 2nd. If Finland were to win in OT, the US would need to win by 4 goals vs Slovenia, or win by 3 goals but score 4 more goals than Finland gets vs Canada today to move up.
  • Russia could take 3rd if Slovenia beats USA and they win their game. They could potentially finish as low as 7th should both they and the US lose their final game.
  • Switzerland will need huge blowout between Finland and Canada or for both the US and Russia to lose their final game to move up from 5th spot. Should Russia and the US both win they will fall to 6th
  • Finland will finish 1st with a win over Canada in regulation, an overtime win would put them in 2nd or 3rd depending on the US vs Slovenia game and goal differential between themselves and USA. An OT loss would drop them to 4th unless Russia beat Slovakia by 7 or more goals. Losing in regulation combined with a Russia win would put them in 5th.
  • Canada is in the exact same spot as Finland, except in their case an OT loss would require Russia to beat Slovakia by 5 or more goals.
Edited by FlashyG

I don't see any reason why the USA can't defeat Slovenia. it is hockey after all, so who knows but I anticipate a decisive victory.

As much as I love the Wings and the fact that they are primarily on the Swedish roster, the patriot in me can't help but pull for the United States in this competition.

It's been a great tournament so far, looking forward to seeing how it develops.

I know they would not've called Quick. A man can wish though :)

And you can have Radulov. Take him off our hands. PLEASE.

Personally I really have to thank you, I'm now a big fan of Curling especially the Russian curling team too *g*

Wondering if Radulov will get benched guy cost Russia the game. If he does that in the semi finals...wow.

Gotta feel bad for Norway, generation change is coming and they don't have a lot of prospects thanks to too many foreigners playing in the norwegian league, so young players aren't getting a fair chance nor enough icetime. Whats funny to me is, how everyone thought Vanek would be the big star on team Austria so far it's been Grabner. For Canada I'd give it to Doughty/Benn they are playing marvelous.

Pasha's playing very good so far,but Slovaks pick it up defensively at last.It's a joy to watch Hossa and Tatar on the same playing good 2 way game :)

Pasha's playing very good so far,but Slovaks pick it up defensively at last.It's a joy to watch Hossa and Tatar on the same playing good 2 way game :)

What? Tatar...playing defense? Everybody knows that Tatar can't play defense. Just ask Babs.

y7emugav.jpg

This picture rules so much. It would only be better if there were a wolf howling at the moon in the background.

Check out ESPN's live cast of the Russia v Slovakia game. THEY THINK IT'S BASKETBALL!!

http://scores.espn.go.com/olympics/gamecast?gameId=1188

They wish it was basketball. At least then they'd be able to talk about it. Not talk about it intelligently, but talk about it nevertheless. I can almost hear it now, Steven A. Smith and Skip Bayless arguing up a blue streak about whether or not Jimmy Howard or Jan Mursak is the next Michael Jordan. Cutting edge sports journalism at it's finest eh boys?

Edited by kipwinger
dropkickshanahans likes this

Cbc announcer always is saying stuff like they've really tightened that box, that's a tight box, Russia can't get into that tight box, or my favourite creepy one, oh Ya, look at that tiny little box.

Haha I noticed that as well.

Just tuned into the USA game. Kessel with a hatty? Him and JVR are deadly.

I hate Toronto, but those two are deadly together.

Z Winged Dangler likes this

Good win for the USA. Two things. 1) Tighten up that defense, 2) Blake Wheeler stays in the lineup.

Also, calling it...Tomas Tatar is the hero over Russia in overtime/shootout.

Tatar in the shootout. f*** yea.

Russia minus Datsyuk and Malkin are really really bad. I cannot believe how much Kovalchuck has regressed since playing in the KHL, he looks terrible.

Edited by darkmanx
Z Winged Dangler likes this