• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Datsyukian-Deke

Red Wings Target Mike Green

Rate this topic

The Red Wings have targeted Mike Green and are looking to make a deal soon according to a source close to the team.

http://msn.foxsports.com/detroit/story/source-defenseman-mike-green-is-wings-top-trade-target-070814

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/07/analysis_mike_green_appears_be.html

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/08/columnist-mike-green-is-destined-to-be-traded-by-caps/

I personally wouldn't mind Green granted it's for the right price.

Edited by Datsyukian-Deke

It's probably just a ruse to make it seem like Holland has options, in order to get Buffalo to drop their asking price for Myers.

That would make sense if Buffalo had an urgency to trade Myers. So since they don't I doubt this is a ruse.

If we could get him for Pulks, Kindl, and a 2nd it would be ideal, but I think they will want Jurco instead of Pulks.

Edited by Datsyukian-Deke

Tthe Wings currently have 1 defenceman that can move the puck, adding Green would not be ideal but his ability offensively makes him very appealing.

Yea he has two 70+ point campaigns under his belt and a 31 goal season. Show me another defenseman that has those numbers that are available.

He would absolutely be a great addition to the team, like everyone else is saying, as long as it doesn't cost us too much in assets. There is no way the Caps would get any of our top players or prospects, so no they would not be asking for Jurco. Green is on the last year of his contract, and is slightly overpaid in my opinion, and the Caps need to trim a player from their blue line and they need cap space to sign another decent forward. All of this is what makes the Caps (Green) a perfect trade partner for us. But then again, I'm sure there are a lot of other teams that may be thinking the same thing, so let's hope Holland can make a reasonable offer without giving up too much of the future...

Yea he has two 70+ point campaigns under his belt and a 31 goal season. Show me another defenseman that has those numbers that are available.

True but he hasn't cracked 40 points since the 2009 season because of recurring groin and concussion issues.

I'm all for a Green trade but let's not kid ourselves. We shouldn't be selling the farm for another injury prone guy.

Tatar OR Pulkkinen plus Kindl and a conditional pick on resigning. Similar to the package Dats-Deke proposed.

The thing I like about Green is his contract is up after this season. Should make the asking price lower and also doesn't hurt the Red Wings financially beyond a year.

I would have preferred just to have traded for Green without ever keeping Quincey too so a kid could get one of the spots on defense, but a little late for that now.

Keep Tatar over Jurco? Really?? Please tell me you're the only Wings fan that would do that... Jurco has top line winger written all over him. Tatar on the other hand is a middling 2nd, 3rd line winger. I guarantee when GM's are talking to Ken Holland, they are asking for Jurco long before Tatar is mentioned. But no need to worry because Green shouldn't cost anything close to any of those guys...

I think it goes without saying that we can't give up Tatar, Nyquist or Mantha. But Jurco and picks seems reasonable considering how desperately we need a top D-man and a right handed shot. Get it done Kenny.

I don't think Tatar is anywhere close to being an untouchable...

He's a valuable player but not that valuable.

Keep Tatar over Jurco? Really?? Please tell me you're the only Wings fan that would do that... Jurco has top line winger written all over him. Tatar on the other hand is a middling 2nd, 3rd line winger. I guarantee when GM's are talking to Ken Holland, they are asking for Jurco long before Tatar is mentioned. But no need to worry because Green shouldn't cost anything close to any of those guys...

Agreed. No way am I giving up Jurco over Tatar. As much as I like Tatar, the Wings are pretty set with undersized forwards. Jurco is going to be a better player than Tatar before long. Of course, that's probably the appeal to other GM's when evaluating potential trade pieces.

I don't think Tatar is anywhere close to being an untouchable...

He's a valuable player but not that valuable.

:shocking: For an injury prone defenseman on the last year of his contract?? Umm...yeah, Tatar is very much untouchable in this scenario IMO. Now if we were looking to trade for Shea Weber that would be a different story. But for Mike Green, Kenny would be a fool to give up a player like Tatar who has been so good and still hasn't hit his full potential in this league.

Again, you wouldn't give up Tatar but you would be completely okay with giving up Jurco in a trade such as this?...

Neither would be going the other way in this trade anyway... I would expect a mid level roster player or mid level prospect and a draft pick.

Edited by krsmith17

Agreed. No way am I giving up Jurco over Tatar. As much as I like Tatar, the Wings are pretty set with undersized forwards. Jurco is going to be a better player than Tatar before long. Of course, that's probably the appeal to other GM's when evaluating potential trade pieces.

Tatar has completely outplayed Jurco up to this point. Sure he's not a big guy, but go tell Marty St. Louis he's too small to be an impact player. Jurco has been okay but not overly impressive by any means. Not that he won't improve and get better. But at this point in time Tatar has brought much more to the table than Jurco.

:shocking: For an injury prone defenseman on the last year of his contract?? Umm...yeah, Tatar is very much untouchable in this scenario IMO. Now if we were looking to trade for Shea Weber that would be a different story. But for Mike Green, Kenny would be a fool to give up a player like Tatar who has been so good and still hasn't hit his full potential in this league.

And yet you're more than willing to give up Jurco (a more valuable player)....... :shocking:

Tatar is two years older...I sure hope he's outplayed him...

Again, you wouldn't give up Tatar but you would be completely okay with giving up Jurco in a trade such as this?...

Neither would be going the other way in this trade anyway... I would expect a mid level roster player or mid level prospect and a draft pick.

Def wouldn't want to give up Jurco. But if it had to be either Jurco or Tatar, I'd have to go with Jurco. Jurco is much more unproven than Tatar at this point.

And yet you're more than willing to give up Jurco (a more valuable player)....... :shocking:

How is Jurco a more valuable player?? Because he's bigger? He has a much smaller sample size of NHL games. Tatar has showed that he for sure belongs in this league. Jurco has looked solid but def hasn't been as impressive as Tatar.

nah, i think you're going to have to give up one good cheap young player to get this deal done

something like tatar, andersson, and 2nd

holland might have some leverage here with the capitals close to the cap limit and green having only 1 year left on his deal. green has a modified no trade clause as well

Edited by chances14

Def wouldn't want to give up Jurco. But if it had to be either Jurco or Tatar, I'd have to go with Jurco. Jurco is much more unproven than Tatar at this point.

How is Jurco a more valuable player?? Because he's bigger? He has a much smaller sample size of NHL games. Tatar has showed that he for sure belongs in this league. Jurco has looked solid but def hasn't been as impressive as Tatar.

Size, Skill, Aggressiveness, Defensive Awareness, Younger, Higher ceiling, Doesn't vent to the press every time he has an issue with playing time/role/contract.

Tatar has completely outplayed Jurco up to this point. Sure he's not a big guy, but go tell Marty St. Louis he's too small to be an impact player. Jurco has been okay but not overly impressive by any means. Not that he won't improve and get better. But at this point in time Tatar has brought much more to the table than Jurco.

Tatar is two years older and spent more time in Grand Rapids developing, so obviously he is going to look more NHL ready than Jurco right now. Tatar is a pretty limited player -- he's very good at that particular skill (scoring goals), but that's about all he brings to the table. At best, Tatar is probably another version of Jiri Hudler.

Why O Why does everyone think that the starting point for every single trade on earth is a high end prospect or roster player with upside? None of Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, or Mantha would go the other way in a trade for Green. Good god, just look at every other deadline deal for guys who aren't superstars. You ever see those kinds of roster players or prospects going the other way for a teams fourth defenseman?

Anaheim got ONE top prospect, a mid tier prospect, and a 1st for Bobby Ryan...and he was under (a very affordable) contract. Mike Green will DEFINITELY not cost us more than that.

Where do these relative values come from?

Why O Why does everyone think that the starting point for every single trade on earth is a high end prospect or roster player with upside? None of Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, or Mantha would go the other way in a trade for Green. Good god, just look at every other deadline deal for guys who aren't superstars. You ever see those kinds of roster players or prospects going the other way for a teams fourth defenseman?

Anaheim got ONE top prospect, a mid tier prospect, and a 1st for Bobby Ryan...and he was under (a very affordable) contract. Mike Green will DEFINITELY not cost us more than that.

Where do these relative values come from?

Because it's pretty well known that that's the starting point for many GMs we try and trade with....