• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:27 PM

The thing with Babcock is, he has proven at every level that he cares about his players so I really believe that. When guys like Weber, Crosby and Toews are talking that highly about another coach that has to mean something.

As for his contract situation I think he is downplaying it a bit which is the right thing to do don't get me wrong. Others have mentioned it already what incentive does he have to sign here longterm? Holland is making his job more difficult every year, this roster hasn't improved since 2009 and once Godström retired things went even more on the downside. You just have to look at last season this roster had no business making the playoffs and yet the kids stole the show and somehow Babcock and the boys managed to still do it. This season looks like it may be the exact same roster just one year older so the job for Babcock is (again) more difficult. Why would he deal with that, if he could coach guys like Backes, Statsny, Schwarz, Pietrangelo (having Reeves to stick up for his stars), Crosby, Malkin all soon to be or in their primes ? Super Mario and Burke will pony up whatever amount of cash it takes to lure him to the Pens.

If the Wings are missing the playoffs this season I think heads will roll (Holland) and Babcock will be looking for a better opporunity. Don't get me wrong I'd love him to stay but it i clear the direction of this team isn't going the right way, the center depth is almost non existant and nobody knows if Marchenko won't return to the KHL or if Sproul can be that long needed RH offensive d man.

Putting myself into his shoes I would really prefer to see how the season - including the Trade Deadline - goes and then decide if I'm still willing to adapt to an ever increasing challenging, when I have the opportunity to coach young superstars on other teams with a brighter future. People who aren't appreciating him now will do so once we are facing a Babcock coached team and our new coach even its Blashill get's absolutely schooled and outcoached.

I love his answer about not wanting to be coached and I fully agree with it, if people really don't want to be fairly pushed and coached to become better players then Detroit isn't the place for them. That being said I don't think guys like Ehrhoff or Niskanen are afraid of that they sadly saw better opportunities elsewhere or our offers weren't good enough.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#42 STL-Wings

STL-Wings

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:31 PM

Sutter is a good coach with a very good team.  And the Kings went through some just horrendous seasons to bulk up.  And they will still tell you today that it is Holland's Detroit that is the model. 

And I agree with Babcock.  If the bigger names don't want to be coached and pushed then don't bring them here.  I can't read the man's mind, but I would figure if this season is a marked improvement from previous then he may stick around a couple more to see where it leads.  If it is the same or worse, I would assume he walks (Hitch has a year in STL...deeper playoffs or get replaced year).  Again, the only one who knows is Babcock but the interview did help in perception of the team/offseason. 

#43 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,978 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:44 PM

Babcock is ONE OF the best coaches.  I agree.  We just happen to disagree on him being THE BEST coach, which is what you said initially.  And it's not like he came on to a bad team either.  Any argument made in his favor is equally valid for Sutter or Quenneville who, nevertheless, have more Cups. 

Kip. You really think Quenneville is a better coach than Babcock? 

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#44 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:50 PM

Kip. You really think Quenneville is a better coach than Babcock? 

I think there are several better coaches than Babs, including Quenneville.  There are also several coaches who are "as good" as Babs.  It wasn't unanimous that he was "the best" until he won the Olympic gold, which is more a function of the Canadian media collectively embracing him than anything else.  Also, it's not like Sutter or Quenneville (or Julien, Tippett, or Hitchcock) would have lost to Latvia had they been picked in his stead. 

He's a top five coach.  But the proof is in the pudding.  And despite some VERY good teams, his ring fingers are a little light. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#45 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,978 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:58 PM

I think there are several better coaches than Babs, including Quenneville.  There are also several coaches who are "as good" as Babs.  It wasn't unanimous that he was "the best" until he won the Olympic gold, which is more a function of the Canadian media collectively embracing him than anything else.  Also, it's not like Sutter or Quenneville (or Julien, Tippett, or Hitchcock) would have lost to Latvia had they been picked in his stead. 

He's a top five coach.  But the proof is in the pudding.  And despite some VERY good teams, his ring fingers are a little light. 

Fair enough.

For me, the only time I take Quenville over Babcock would have been this past season. Only because I'd rather have had a top 5 pick in the draft than squeak in to he playoffs with an AHL roster. ;)

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#46 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:16 PM

Lol.  You're so cute when you're contradictory.

I'll get back to you about this silly debate once I'm done watching youtube videos of Sutter hoisting the Cup for the second time.  Afterward I'll watch Quenneville do it.

Be a doll and link me to the video of Babcock hoisting the Cup for the second time will you

So on the one hand, you say anyone can coach a team if they have enough talent, like Babcock with Team Canada, then on the other hand you say only a great coach can win.  You're contradicting yourself, Kippy. But you're not cute  ;)  If Sutter was so great, how is it that he failed miserably in SJ and Calgary?  

#47 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:28 PM

"I think we need to let our young people grow. We signed enough players to buy our kids time in the minors. We have four d-men who are going to play here eventually and probably be upgrades on our roster. How much time do they need? We don’t know the answer. [ . . . . ] I didn’t like us in the playoffs last year against Boston, but we like what we have coming. And we like our kids. So the biggest thing is not to rush it. We could really use some puck-moving D. Well, we just happen to have some puck-moving D in the minors. Big guys that can skate. When are they ready? We’re sure not going to rush them, but if they’re capable of taking jobs they’re getting the jobs." - Babcock, from the interview

Let's be honest - the Wings aren't in really bad shape. We've spent the past few seasons "retooling" in the sense that we've kept our core intact and kept the streak alive while also building up a very impressive stable of very promising young players like Nyquist and DeKeyser and Mantha and Mrazek and Sproul and Ouellet and Jurco and Athanasiou. The "youth movement" we've been waiting for is already happening; it's a slow drip rather than one great big swell. We're not rebuilding, not looking to tear everything down and ice a roster with 20 kids. We want what every Cup contender boasts these days: quality veteran leadership (with at least two elite franchise players at the top of the totem pole) and a small army of young studs on early, affordable contracts. And we're in a position to have that very soon.

I hate the Quincey and Cleary re-signings. I hated that we brought back Samuelsson. I hated that Nyquist was stuck in Grand Rapids at the start of last season and that Jurco's going to get the same treatment this coming season. But, all things considered, this stuff isn't a big deal. What's important is that we're steadily building up to that kind of roster that can truly compete for the Cup. Again, I think that roster is within reach, we just have to be patient and not do anything really, genuinely, hugely, dangerously stupid. For example, as much as I want a Mike Green on this team, I do feel that moving, say, Nyquist for him would be really, genuinely, hugely, dangerously stupid, or at least close to it. Even if he were to have a great season, do you suppose he re-ups with us? I wouldn't be surprised if he were to re-sign with the Caps, giving them both Nyquist and Green.

But I digress. Point is, it's going to be ok, maybe. I'm generally extremely cynical about the state of the Wings, but if I'm being objective, I like us, and I think we're only going to get better over the next two or three years. Mantha will save us all.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#48 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:37 PM

Babcock is ONE OF the best coaches.  I agree.  We just happen to disagree on him being THE BEST coach, which is what you said initially.  And it's not like he came on to a bad team either.  Any argument made in his favor is equally valid for Sutter or Quenneville who, nevertheless, have more Cups. 

It's obviously opinion at this point but there's no way I'd want Quenneville over Babcock.  Sutter maybe.  I think Sutter outcoached and exposed the Hawks this playoffs, and Babcock almost did it the previous year with a helluva lot less talent. 

Here's part of the reason I think Babs is a great coach. 

"The way I look at it here, if you don't want to be coached, don't come here," Bacock said via Detroit Sports 105.1. "If you want to be pushed to be the best that you can be, that's what we do here. You know what? The proof is in the pudding.

"If [the Wings] are concerned about [free agents not liking me], then I should coach somewhere else."

Am I warm and cuddly every day? I am with my family. I think I care a lot about my players. When you care about people, you make them do it right. When you don't, and there's lots of coaches that don't, then their teams don't do it right and they don't have success. We just have the hard meetings. We get it out front. Does it piss people off once in a while? Absolutely. But it also leads to behavioral changes and getting things better. So you know what, I'm not apologizing for that stuff at all.

#49 twopups

twopups

Draftee

• 13 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:55 PM

Yeah, he was so awesome in Calgary and San Jose.

Isn't he the guy that did the BITTER BEER commercial?

#50 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:57 PM

So on the one hand, you say anyone can coach a team if they have enough talent, like Babcock with Team Canada, then on the other hand you say only a great coach can win.  You're contradicting yourself, Kippy. But you're not cute   ;)  If Sutter was so great, how is it that he failed miserably in SJ and Calgary?  

He did as well in Calgary as Babs did in Anaheim.  They both made it to the finals and lost. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#51 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:07 PM

It's obviously opinion at this point but there's no way I'd want Quenneville over Babcock.  Sutter maybe.  I think Sutter outcoached and exposed the Hawks this playoffs, and Babcock almost did it the previous year with a helluva lot less talent. 

Here's part of the reason I think Babs is a great coach. 

That's legit, but nobody is remembering how Quenneville nearly did the exact same thing to us with those Blues teams in the late 90's that were significantly less talented than our Cup teams.  And he was coaching against Bowman. 

One of the reasons that I think Quenneville is a great coach?  Of the 15 times he's made the playoffs he's won the Cup twice and lost to the eventual Cup winner 7 times including three times to the Bowman Wings (widely considered some of the greatest teams EVER to play hockey) of the late 90's and early 2000's.  The best teams Babs has lost to?  Quenneville's Hawks a year ago. 

Edited by kipwinger, 18 July 2014 - 03:13 PM.

#52 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:55 PM

That's legit, but nobody is remembering how Quenneville nearly did the exact same thing to us with those Blues teams in the late 90's that were significantly less talented than our Cup teams.  And he was coaching against Bowman. 

One of the reasons that I think Quenneville is a great coach?  Of the 15 times he's made the playoffs he's won the Cup twice and lost to the eventual Cup winner 7 times including three times to the Bowman Wings (widely considered some of the greatest teams EVER to play hockey) of the late 90's and early 2000's.  The best teams Babs has lost to?  Quenneville's Hawks a year ago. 

Before he hooked up with the Hawks though, he made it out of the 2nd round of the playoffs once in 10 years as a head coach.  Losing to the eventual cup winner in a first round series doesn't really count for much to me. 

Babcock took out the 2003 Red Wings in 4 games with a Ducks roster that wasn't exactly stacked with stars and got them to game 7 of the Finals.

in 2007 he took the Wings to the Conference finals, losing to a great team and eventual Cup winner in the Ducks . 

In 2008 he won the Cup

In 2009 he went through the Ducks, still a very good team, and beat Quenneville's Blackhawks (the next year's Cup winner), then took the Pens (who people here don't like to admit but were a great team) to 7 games.

In 2013 he took the Blackhawks to game 7 OT with a lineup that had no business hanging with the Hawks.

I think Quenneville is a good coach, but I still put Babcock a notch above him.  

#53 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:02 PM

Quenneville also had two first round exits between those Stanley Cup winning Blackhawks teams. Also, prior to joining the Blackhawks, Quenneville has only coached a team past the second round once. That team was the Blues in 2001, and they were eliminated in the third round. I also disagree that Quenneville "did nearly the exact thing to us" during his tenure with the Blues. They never won more than two games against the Wings in any playoff series he coached. Before he had Toews, Kane, Hossa, Keith, etc etc Quennevile did nothing to warrant being a top coach, least of all win Stanley Cups, which seems to be the main focus of your argument as to why he and Sutter are better than Babcock.
Sorry but I'm with Harold on this one. I don't think Quenneville is better than Babcock, even if he has won one more Cup.

Edited by Echolalia, 18 July 2014 - 05:05 PM.

#54 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:42 PM

I'd put Mike Babcock at #1 and Darryl Sutter at #2 and "Coach Q" at #170. All Babcock does is achieve, Sutter is a mad genius, and Q has a mustache.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#55 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:57 PM

Did anyone really expect him to drop the hammer too much? He said about as much as he reasonably could. You're never going to get the full story in an interview.
-Elliot...does not panic.

#56 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:27 PM

Some contradiction in Babs interview,but he takes responsibility for bad moves and decision,unlike Holland.

#57 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,920 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:24 PM

Babs also said the Wings didn't hand out any bad contracts in free agency. Out on the lake when the Quincey deal happened?

Quincey isn't a bad contract, it's only for 2 years. Niskanen and Orpik, are bad contracts.

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#58 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:37 AM

Quincey isn't a bad contract, it's only for 2 years. Niskanen and Orpik, are bad contracts.

That Quincey was re-signed at all is bad. That he was given a raise, when seemingly no other team was interested in his services, is nuts. Not Orpik bad, but not exactly a stroke of genius.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#59 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:38 PM

Babs says a few words on advanced stats:

http://www.wingingit...cess-in-the-nhl

Quoting Dan Rosen, who's quoted in the piece:

Unrelated to the reason I spoke to Mike Babcock today, he told me Detroit doesn't have an analytics guy yet, "but yet is the key word."

Babcock said the Wings "will for sure" have to hire an analytics guy. "We just have to." He said he's a fan of it. "I love the information."

Babcock on use of analytics: "The bottom line is the NFL and Major League Baseball, they have been way ahead of us in this area."

Finally, Babcock thinks with more revenue streaming into the NHL there should be more opportunity for research in this department.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#60 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:09 AM

That Quincey was re-signed at all is bad. That he was given a raise, when seemingly no other team was interested in his services, is nuts. Not Orpik bad, but not exactly a stroke of genius.

Where do you get that he wasnt talking with anyone else?

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!