#1 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,018 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:35 PM

Has anyone else heard of this?

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=kZxiPwGjqAE

It's apparently going to debut at TIFF in September with wider release (US) to come in January.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#2 derblaueClaus

derblaueClaus

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:06 PM

Seems like I need to watch this. Thanks for the posting.

"I'd have my **** out if I scored four goals. Id have my **** out, stroking it." - "Jumbo" Joe Thornton

Monsterblue.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#3 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 773 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:15 PM

This should be very good. Thanks

#4 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:00 PM

This looks awesome. At the end of the day when you ask what is the coolest thing about the Red Wings I'll say the Russian 5. I loved them. That was the beginning of the Red Wings being the most progressive hockey team, going where other teams wouldn't think to, to build a dynasty. And it really was the beginning of our dynasty. They were mesmerizing to watch. It was like "Hey you know that crazy good Soviet team that has played in 5 man units since birth that dominates the world, they're ours now". Can't wait for this.

One of the things I loved was all the stories of what those Russians had to do to defect from the USSR. Backroom deals, players jumping out of moving trucks, faking serious ailments, dodging the KGB, If anyone remembers any of those please share.

#5 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 773 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:49 PM

Thanks to Red Army team I have become a Red Wings fan. I have watch Fetisov, Larionov, Konstantinov and Fedorov playing in Moscow. Lots of similarities between this two great teams. Unbelievable, unmatched skill and determination. Can't wait to add this movie to my collection.

Edited by arag, 02 August 2014 - 12:57 AM.

#6 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:21 AM

Looks sweet, can't wait to watch it!
hadthomasvokounonfortst.jpg
Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#7 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:17 AM

Thanks for posting.  Not a movie watcher, but this one looks like a must see. 

#8 Nard

Nard

Draftee

• 2 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:40 AM

This looks awesome. At the end of the day when you ask what is the coolest thing about the Red Wings I'll say the Russian 5. I loved them. That was the beginning of the Red Wings being the most progressive hockey team, going where other teams wouldn't think to, to build a dynasty. And it really was the beginning of our dynasty. They were mesmerizing to watch. It was like "Hey you know that crazy good Soviet team that has played in 5 man units since birth that dominates the world, they're ours now". Can't wait for this.

One of the things I loved was all the stories of what those Russians had to do to defect from the USSR. Backroom deals, players jumping out of moving trucks, faking serious ailments, dodging the KGB, If anyone remembers any of those please share.

There is a book called "Breakaway: From Behind the Iron Curtain to the NHL--The Untold Story of Hockey's Great Escapes" which tells the stories of the russians and other players defecting to the NHL and how they did it. One of the greatest books I have read, very detailed and you can almost picture yourself standing next to them while it was happening. Lost myself in it for hours the first time and I read it over a bunch. Definitely recommend it to every hockey fan

#9 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:21 AM

There is a book called "Breakaway: From Behind the Iron Curtain to the NHL--The Untold Story of Hockey's Great Escapes" which tells the stories of the russians and other players defecting to the NHL and how they did it. One of the greatest books I have read, very detailed and you can almost picture yourself standing next to them while it was happening. Lost myself in it for hours the first time and I read it over a bunch. Definitely recommend it to every hockey fan

Thanks I'll definitely look for that!

#10 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:55 PM

Looks fascinating, I'll be grabbing it. According to Amazon, the hardcover is $59 and the cheapest physical option, so iBooks/Kindle is probably the way to go. iBooks is $11.99 and Kindle is $10.67. (I'll spend the extra buck to not support Amazon, which more and more is starting to look like the internet Wal Mart the way they bully the content suppliers and makers.)

iBooks link: Breakaway - #iBooks https://itun.es/us/Td6ZO.l

Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.co...=breakaway iron

Oh, and this looks like a phenomenal documentary. I watched the trailer several times and it's on my "must see as soon as possible" list.

-Elliot...does not panic.

#11 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,018 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:20 AM

Some more info in the critic reviews:

http://m.imdb.com/ti...ref_=m_tt_ov_rt

Apparently it premiered at Cannes.

Can't wait. That laugh that Fetisov gives at the end of the trailer...

Edit: thanks for the book recommendation. Will definitely check it out.

Edited by BottleOfSmoke, 03 August 2014 - 09:21 AM.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#12 Nard

Nard

Draftee

• 2 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:43 AM

Looks fascinating, I'll be grabbing it. According to Amazon, the hardcover is $59 and the cheapest physical option, so iBooks/Kindle is probably the way to go. iBooks is $11.99 and Kindle is $10.67. (I'll spend the extra buck to not support Amazon, which more and more is starting to look like the internet Wal Mart the way they bully the content suppliers and makers.)

iBooks link: Breakaway - #iBooks https://itun.es/us/Td6ZO.l

Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.co...=breakaway iron

Oh, and this looks like a phenomenal documentary. I watched the trailer several times and it's on my "must see as soon as possible" list.

I got it a few years ago i believe for 15-20 bucks or so on paperback. If you do an extensive search I'm sure you can find it, it wasn't on amazon, maybe ebay but I'm not entirely sure

#13 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,567 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:26 AM

When I see the pick below - I cannot help but think of this music playing in the background...https://www.youtube....h?v=AOAtz8xWM0w

henMV5BMTEwNDU3OTg0NTVeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDg1

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#14 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:38 AM

Can't wait. That laugh that Fetisov gives at the end of the trailer...

Now it would be the KHL saying "What if we offered you 10 million dollars cash tax-free."

Posted Image

#15 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,939 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:45 AM

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=yuld5bKYLEQ

Here is a Swedish documentary on this topic for those of you speaking Russian (or Swedish).
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#16 Wings10

Wings10

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:09 PM

Aww memories  -- Montreal vs Soviets ..NYE 1975  ..The great Danny Gallivan and Dick Irvin calling the game, does not get much better then that

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=_isWRurrGPw