• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
frankgrimes

Ottawa Senators are trying "European style" supporter sections

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, Motor City Mullets said:

Guess that would depend...Having traveled around (road trips mostly) I found myself thinking that I could live/adapt just about anywhere including smaller/lesser known cities that make up the NHL...Is living in NYC and playing for the Rangers that much better than say Calgary?

Unless there's locker room woes, or grief with coaching/management - the team that drafted me would have my loyalty.

You're talking in generalities though. Can "random human" live in Calgary just fine? Sure. Would American professional hockey player Matthew Tkachuk MUCH rather spend his limited career (these guys are basically done in their 30s) playing for a winner in Florida instead of a loser in Calgary? Absolutely.

I'm not maligning western Canada. I've traveled all over Canada and find the country beautiful and the people pleasant. It's a really lovely country. But I wouldn't want to work 3,000 miles away from every single person on Earth that I give a crap about. Especially if that place is in another country, and it's one of the coldest windiest places in North America.

8 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Counter point, would YOU want to play for Calgary or Ottawa? It's not like these guys are requesting trades out of top organizations. As soon as I had enough leverage to get the hell out of Calgary I would too. Especially if I wasn't from Western Canada.

Given the choice I wouldnt play for any Canadian team. If I had to choose it would be Vancouver. Great city, great weather, water, mountains. 

14 minutes ago, Motor City Mullets said:

Indeed.

I recall how Keith was back in the 90s while he was in Winnipeg and Arizona - always wanting to renegotiate his contract (while under contract) and threatened to sit out...Guy was a headache.

Not surprised to see his sons venture down that path.

Lavoie also says the Ottawa lockerroom is reportdedly in shambles.

Classic Ottawa. Get something going, then completely imlpode. Rinse, repeat.

Just now, Troy McClure said:

Given the choice I wouldnt play for any Canadian team. If I had to choose it would be Vancouver. Great city, great weather, water, mountains. 

I get what you're saying, Vancouver is an absolutely beautiful place. But I wouldn't want to play there either. I think there's a lot of wisdom in drafting players from close to home like SY does. No matter how gorgeous the place is, many people just don't want to live and work a zillion miles from their families and friends.

1 minute ago, kipwinger said:

You're talking in generalities though. Can "random human" live in Calgary just fine? Sure. Would American professional hockey player Matthew Tkachuk MUCH rather spend his limited career (these guys are basically done in their 30s) playing for a winner in Florida instead of a loser in Calgary? Absolutely.

I'm not maligning western Canada. I've traveled all over Canada and find the country beautiful and the people pleasant. It's a really lovely country. But I wouldn't want to work 3,000 miles away from every single person on Earth that I give a crap about. Especially if that place is in another country, and it's one of the coldest windiest places in North America.

Part of that's the 'occupational  hazard' of being an NHL'er I'd say...To each his own - for me I'd play anywhere without hesitation.

6 minutes ago, Troy McClure said:

Not surprising to see Winnipeg playing better these days sans Blake Wheeler (whom if I remember correctly was said to be a problem in the locker room there)...Wonder who the problem child/ren are in Ottawa?

1 minute ago, Motor City Mullets said:

Part of that's the 'occupational  hazard' of being an NHL'er I'd say...To each his own - for me I'd play anywhere without hesitation.

But it's not because they don't HAVE to stay. You basically get stuck with the team that drafted you for a few years and then you get enough leverage to leave. Tkachuk did, so did Debrincat. The only players who are stuck on miserable teams are guys that are just barely good enough to be in the league. Like, it's better to be in Arizona than the AHL but it's better to be almost anywhere else than Arizona. So as soon as you're good enough/old enough to get the hell out of there you do.

1 minute ago, kipwinger said:

I get what you're saying, Vancouver is an absolutely beautiful place. But I wouldn't want to play there either. I think there's a lot of wisdom in drafting players from close to home like SY does. No matter how gorgeous the place is, many people just don't want to live and work a zillion miles from their families and friends.

Meh, maybe someone closer with their family than I am feels that way, but it wouldnt concern me.

My top choices would be Detroit, NYR, Boston, Philly, Pitt, Tampa, Florida, Seattle, Colorado. And only choosing Detroit cause of Loyalty/Home. The other teams bc i think theyre places id enjoy living and teams playing for. 

1 minute ago, Troy McClure said:

Meh, maybe someone closer with their family than I am feels that way, but it wouldnt concern me.

My top choices would be Detroit, NYR, Boston, Philly, Pitt, Tampa, Florida, Seattle, Colorado. And only choosing Detroit cause of Loyalty/Home. The other teams bc i think theyre places id enjoy living and teams playing for. 

Generally speaking I agree with most of this. I do think the calculus changes a lot for RFAs and veterans without a Cup though. Like, if you're Jeff Petry and you've never won a Cup and you get a chance to play for a contender, but that contender is in Winnipeg, you're probably more likely to do it than you would be if you were 27 and hitting FA for the first time.

On 2/28/2024 at 12:49 PM, kipwinger said:

But it's not because they don't HAVE to stay. You basically get stuck with the team that drafted you for a few years and then you get enough leverage to leave. Tkachuk did, so did Debrincat. The only players who are stuck on miserable teams are guys that are just barely good enough to be in the league. Like, it's better to be in Arizona than the AHL but it's better to be almost anywhere else than Arizona. So as soon as you're good enough/old enough to get the hell out of there you do.

With this latest development I now would really question the desire of playing in Canada…

Full clip for those interested…

Edited by Motor City Mullets

2 hours ago, Motor City Mullets said:

Yeah - and like Kip had mentioned - all the fringe players will play in Canada because it beats an AHL gig, or working at a Tim Hortons.

Taxes, higher prices, cold weather, cant bring your guns. Why be Canadian?

On 3/4/2024 at 2:05 AM, Motor City Mullets said:

With this latest development I now would really question the desire of playing in Canada…

Full clip for those interested…

Somebody has got to pay up for the govt expenses to go after those terrorists Truckers.

On 3/4/2024 at 12:40 PM, Troy McClure said:

Taxes, higher prices, cold weather, cant bring your guns. Why be Canadian?

because then half the world doesn't want to kill you

40 minutes ago, Axl Foley said:

Somebody has got to pay up for the govt expenses to go after those terrorists Truckers.

What do u think the guns are for?

2 hours ago, Axl Foley said:

Not that I care, but I'm guessing MLB Toronto Blue Jays players will also likely face additional taxation.

1 hour ago, diehardredwingsfan58 said:

To Ottawa garbage.

To Detroit Chychrun and Tarasenko 50% retained each.

This looks like a Leftwinger trade.

1 hour ago, Troy McClure said:

What do u think the guns are for?

for young scholars to settle their grievances.

3 minutes ago, Troy McClure said:

Oh so you were making a racist statement about the African American community. Cool. 

No I was referring to the frequent use of guns by gangs. Who come in all colors. The fact that you are assuming that I was referring to a specific race, based on the term "gang violence", is pretty racist.

1 minute ago, Axl Foley said:

No I was referring to the frequent use of guns by gangs. Who come in all colors. The fact that you are assuming that I was referring to a specific race, based on the term "gang violence", is pretty racist.

There are literally no white street gangs

1 minute ago, Troy McClure said:

There are literally no white street gangs

La Cosa Nostra at the lower levels are.

The Outlaws, although bikers, are also heavily involved in urban criminal activity.

1 minute ago, Axl Foley said:

The Outlaws, although bikers, are also heavily involved in urban criminal activity.

Motor cycle clubs are not street gangs

5 minutes ago, Axl Foley said:

3 minutes ago, Troy McClure said:

Motor cycle clubs are not street gangs

Whenever I see Jets vs Sharks - I'm not thinking NHL Hockey...

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952im7k08leu4njvqmj5y