• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Aznknight

TSN ranks all major league sport franchises.

Rate this topic

When are people going to stop paying any attention whatsoever to ESPN, especially when it comes to hockey? When I want to know about poker championships, I'll turn to ESPN.

Look no further than their vote for the Number 1 worst team in North America: The Toronto Maple Leafs. Seriously? While they have indeed struggled mightily in recent years (decades), they are far from the worst. I don't care what the criteria was, ESPN is dead-ass wrong. As usual.

When are people going to stop paying any attention whatsoever to ESPN, especially when it comes to hockey? When I want to know about poker championships, I'll turn to ESPN.

Look no further than their vote for the Number 1 worst team in North America: The Toronto Maple Leafs. Seriously? While they have indeed struggled mightily in recent years (decades), they are far from the worst. I don't care what the criteria was, ESPN is dead-ass wrong. As usual.

I wouldn't say they are dead wrong. TO is definitely one of the top 10 worst franchises in NA.

When you take into account fan base size, expectations, management, and droughts between championships the Leafs are definitely tops in the NHL. Only the Cubs in the MLB, the Knicks in the NBA, and the Vikings/Lions/Jets in the NFL catch my attention as teams that are in major markets and consistently have stunk for the longest time. There are teams that have zero championships but most of the time they are new/expansions or are in minor markets. And of those teams you can say a few of them have at least made it to a championship game/series in the last 10-15 years. But the Leafs... yeesh.

I wouldn't say they are dead wrong. TO is definitely one of the top 10 worst franchises in NA.

When you take into account fan base size, expectations, management, and droughts between championships the Leafs are definitely tops in the NHL. Only the Cubs in the MLB, the Knicks in the NBA, and the Vikings/Lions/Jets in the NFL catch my attention as teams that are in major markets and consistently have stunk for the longest time. There are teams that have zero championships but most of the time they are new/expansions or are in minor markets. And of those teams you can say a few of them have at least made it to a championship game/series in the last 10-15 years. But the Leafs... yeesh.

Apparently Tampa and Anaheim are better franchises than the wings, while Columbus is only one back of us. Don't put any stock in that article.

Apparently Tampa and Anaheim are better franchises than the wings, while Columbus is only one back of us. Don't put any stock in that article.

OK, keep in mind that I think that the Red Wings are a great organization from the top down. Please keep that in mind while you read the next part of this.

The BJs are on the way up. They are a destination for FAs, they have picked up some good players via trade, and have a GREAT goalie. They are also in a good city with a good sports university. They're management is good and they are MILES ahead of where they were in their early history. They are now as good as the Red Wings in the East.

Tampa has great management. A recent Cup. And the premiere goal scorer in the league. Tickets are cheap and the town is great. They don't have the history of the Wings or Leafs, but they have a recent Cup and that's more than the Leafs have. And they have the one man that all of Red Wings nation would want back.

Anaheim is a yearly contender for the Cup. They are a fun team to watch (old-school) and have a great core of players. They have consistent goaltending, good trades, and FAs like to go there to get a shot. They also have loyalty (Selanne). Lots of these things are what the Wings have or are lacking, so why can't they be called better? They also have a recent Cup. So, better than the Leafs.

The Leafs are a storied franchise. If we were to look at the entire history of all the teams in the NHL, they would be near the top. But I think this list is going by present and recent past as a rating. And the Leafs belong at or near the bottom, and the Wings have competition.

Major League Gaming is trying to get there Call of Duty tournaments on ESPN (off-topic, I know).

No I can't stand ESPN outside of MNF, or college football games. I looked at this list and don't agree with like 97% of it.

OK, keep in mind that I think that the Red Wings are a great organization from the top down. Please keep that in mind while you read the next part of this.

The BJs are on the way up. They are a destination for FAs, they have picked up some good players via trade, and have a GREAT goalie. They are also in a good city with a good sports university. They're management is good and they are MILES ahead of where they were in their early history. They are now as good as the Red Wings in the East.

Tampa has great management. A recent Cup. And the premiere goal scorer in the league. Tickets are cheap and the town is great. They don't have the history of the Wings or Leafs, but they have a recent Cup and that's more than the Leafs have. And they have the one man that all of Red Wings nation would want back.

Anaheim is a yearly contender for the Cup. They are a fun team to watch (old-school) and have a great core of players. They have consistent goaltending, good trades, and FAs like to go there to get a shot. They also have loyalty (Selanne). Lots of these things are what the Wings have or are lacking, so why can't they be called better? They also have a recent Cup. So, better than the Leafs.

The Leafs are a storied franchise. If we were to look at the entire history of all the teams in the NHL, they would be near the top. But I think this list is going by present and recent past as a rating. And the Leafs belong at or near the bottom, and the Wings have competition.

The jackets never can pack the arena unless the wings are in town, they haven't even come close to a cup, and they aren't that sought after by free agents.

Tampa hasn't won a cup in ten years, this is the first year in a while they've been good and got wrecked without bishop, they have no defense, and they haven't really improved the team as a whole.

Anaheim hasn't won a cup since before Detroit did and then made an appearance in the finals again. Again not packing the arena very often. They have choked so many times in the playoffs, after doing so well all year.

The jackets never can pack the arena unless the wings are in town, they haven't even come close to a cup, and they aren't that sought after by free agents.

Tampa hasn't won a cup in ten years, this is the first year in a while they've been good and got wrecked without bishop, they have no defense, and they haven't really improved the team as a whole.

Anaheim hasn't won a cup since before Detroit did and then made an appearance in the finals again. Again not packing the arena very often. They have choked so many times in the playoffs, after doing so well all year.

We can do this all day, but I'll play along.

The Jackets are on the way up. They are not a great team. They are a good team. They have been as close to a Cup in their history as the Leafs have been and closer than the Wings got last year. I don't care if they can't fill the arena. The Wings barely do. And they aren't as sought after by FAs as say PIT or BOS, but as much so as DET.

Tampa has a recent Cup. Glad we can agree. The Wings got wrecked with most of their roster. The Yzerman Regime is still young and Stamkos wasn't healthy last season.

Anaheim has 3 Finals appearances since 2001 (same as the Wings). They have a great arena regardless of the number of fans in it, but like the Wings, it gets filled depending on the time of the season and the opponent. Let's not bring up other teams choking in the playoffs on this board.

Major League Gaming is trying to get there Call of Duty tournaments on ESPN (off-topic, I know).

No I can't stand ESPN outside of MNF, or college football games. I looked at this list and don't agree with like 97% of it.

Even ESPN can't be stupid enough to film people sitting on their asses and game the whole day ? Can they ?! would be a new low even for them.

btw.

what is MNF?

Even ESPN can't be stupid enough to film people sitting on their asses and game the whole day ? Can they ?! would be a new low even for them.

btw.

what is MNF?

Monday Night Football.

And xgames was talking about adding major league gaming to there list of EXTREMEEEEEEEEEEEEEE sports.

Ha.

That was the talk last time I was around a gamer.

I don't know the progress on that, BTW,

But call of duty tournaments on ESPN wouldnt surprise me.

TV folks is trying to keep up with that thar Interwebs.

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter

Ok reading some of the comments, I don't think people understand how the teams are ranked. It's based on ownership, ticket prices, fan's bang for the buck, and championships. With that in mind, the Leafs should be last. I saw the list, and I think ESPN did a great job, despite what some people think of ESPN's hockey coverage.

Ok reading some of the comments, I don't think people understand how the teams are ranked. It's based on ownership, ticket prices, fan's bang for the buck, and championships. With that in mind, the Leafs should be last. I saw the list, and I think ESPN did a great job, despite what some people think of ESPN's hockey coverage.

Espns hockey coverage is virtually non existent. And the way they ranked franchises was the way someone who doesn't watch sports would rank the franchises.