• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Ekmanc

Axel Holmström is having a great playoff so far.

Rate this topic

Axel Holmström now has 13 points in 9 games in the SHL playoffs and is on the way to breaking the old points record by a junior which is held by Daniel Sedin.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/sverige/shl/skelleftea/article20582684.ab

There's been some really nice goals so far! they can be seen here:

http://shl.se/trupp/SAIK/5198

Pretty decent run so far, especially since he's spent much of the time on the fourth line.

Update on Janmark? Was more concerned about losing him than the "boohoo going back home" Backman

He's been pretty good so far, his team Frölunda Indians came back from a 1-3 deficit in the first series to win and are now down 2-3 in the semifinals.

He has 7p in 12 games and have been a big part of their offense, I definitely agree that he's a much bigger loss than Bäckman.

Here are some of his highlights from the playoffs so far:

http://shl.se/trupp/FHC/4843

I think it's just swedes and the SHL is extremely well scouted these days by all teams so it's much harder to make those late round finds.

Ya it's not as easy as back In the day but just of recent memory we dealt away jarnkrok backman janmark ... Let almquist go back without getting a decent shot even though I recall him scoring a few times I think?

And also dick axelsson,ryno,ritola and larsson ... Swedes haven't been too good to us of late ... Just nyquist and Andersson of late that's in the lineup

That being said i just read ehn won the award for best player in the junior super elite so let's hope he along with holmstrom make an impact

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

Ya it's not as easy as back In the day but just of recent memory we dealt away jarnkrok backman janmark ... Let almquist go back without getting a decent shot even though I recall him scoring a few times I think?

And also dick axelsson,ryno,ritola and larsson ... Swedes haven't been too good to us of late ... Just nyquist and Andersson of late that's in the lineup

That being said i just read ehn won the award for best player in the junior super elite so let's hope he along with holmstrom make an impact

Granted only 2 Canadian boys have it made it for us recently too. Sheahan and Smith.

The Czechs/Slovaks have been good to us. Mrazek, Tatar, Jurco, Kindl, even Hudler

Granted only 2 Canadian boys have it made it for us recently too. Sheahan and Smith.

The Czechs/Slovaks have been good to us. Mrazek, Tatar, Jurco, Kindl, even Hudler

We've drafted amazing and got amazing prospects coming up ... Just was a time when every swede we drafted id get excited due to our past history with drafting them but those days are over

How tall is he? I'd like him to be a third line center, but knowing Euros he probably wouldn't want to be that big tough guy on the third line with skill that we need so Maybe AA could do that and he could be a second line Power forward/Penalty killer, I just want to get an idea of what his ceiling might be?

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2015/4/19/8453677/axel-holmstrom-just-keeps-on-scoring

I really look forward to seeing him at the prospect camp later this year.

Love how he was just determined to take it to the net ... Think we definetly got a future redwing in our hands

Unless we trade yet again another swede

The cynic in me needs this question answered; What's the story on his linemates? I don't want to be taken down the path of Martin Frk again. Frk had a great season with Halifax after his draft year, but it was mostly due to him seeing plenty of time alongside MacKinnon and Drouin.

What Holmstrom has been able to do is very impressive. I wish I were able to check out a few of his games but unfortunately I'm stuck with just the highlights. He is only 18 years old, so I would think he has at least another year or two over in Sweden before he makes the jump over to the American Hockey League. Let's hope he continues the current path he's on and can become another late round steal for us down the road. It sure looks like he's well on his way...

As for Frk, he has only recently been given a legitimate shot at getting in some consistent games with the Griffins. It's tough for any player to make any sort of impact with a team when they are constantly in and out of the lineup, being sent back and forth between leagues. In his first 16 games with the Griffins spread out over the first 3/4 of the season, Frk had a whopping 2 goals and 0 assists. Since Pulkkinen has been up full time with the Wings, Frk has finally gotten his shot. In the last 16 games of the season, he scored a very solid 4 goals and 6 assists, while looking great in all but one of the games I seen down the stretch. He has been backchecking, forechecking, and setting up plays, I expect a big playoffs out of him and anyone that is writing this kid off at 21 should start to take notice. I'm not saying he's going to be an NHL star but a 3rd line sniper ala Jiri Hudler while he was here, certainly isn't out of reach.

His scouting report suggests he needs to work on his strength and skating. I'm less worried about strength as I am about skating, for obvious reasons. Skating will be the big stumbling block in terms of making it in the NHL. My main concern is that I've always assumed that you either have the skill or you don't. Sure, you might be able to improve a bit, but I don't see any major improvements coming.

There have been several examples of poor skaters thriving in the NHL, but it's getting less and less these days.

Axel just scored his league leading 17th playoff point in 14 games now!

He might have a good shot at the Stefan Liv memorial award if SAIK wins the final, that's the SHL version of Conn Smythe.

Edited by Ekmanc

This is just hfboards, and in no way is it a representation of the truth, but its a 2014 redraft thread and there's people already talking about how holmstrom shouldve been drafted in the top ten. Which is cool that people are thinking so highly if him, but funny because his skating is not good enough to be a first rounder. But yeah.

Keep hyping him up.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1883137