joesuffP

All Purpose Grand Rapids Griffins Thread

Rate this topic

Looks like the Griffs will have this defense next year:

Johansson - Rafferty

Wallinder - Tuomisto

Buium - Didier

Viro

Losing McIsaac and Edvinsson, will be a blow, but also a huge opportunity for Johansson, Wallinder, and Buium to shine. Good also to see the two Finns getting more opportunity. 

6 hours ago, Jimmybigrigs69 said:

Looks like the Griffs will have this defense next year:

Johansson - Rafferty

Wallinder - Tuomisto

Buium - Didier

Viro

Losing McIsaac and Edvinsson, will be a blow, but also a huge opportunity for Johansson, Wallinder, and Buium to shine. Good also to see the two Finns getting more opportunity. 

Johansson would have to clear waivers to play in GR next season and he almost certainly wouldn’t. Yzerman more or less said during his presser that Johansson would be in the NHL next year but his role would be dependent on how he plays.

17 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Johansson would have to clear waivers to play in GR next season and he almost certainly wouldn’t. Yzerman more or less said during his presser that Johansson would be in the NHL next year but his role would be dependent on how he plays.

Ah I thought he meant AJo could make the team, but he would only assign him if he's not going back down. This makes better sense. 

So we definately need to trade Maata and buyout Holl then no?

Mo + Walman + Chiarot + Petry + Edvinsson + AJo = 6

Won't have room to add Matt Roy if we don't. And we need a another RHer that defends better than Petry

28 minutes ago, Jimmybigrigs69 said:

Ah I thought he meant AJo could make the team, but he would only assign him if he's not going back down. This makes better sense. 

So we definately need to trade Maata and buyout Holl then no?

Mo + Walman + Chiarot + Petry + Edvinsson + AJo = 6

Won't have room to add Matt Roy if we don't. And we need a another RHer that defends better than Petry

I actually think we need to trade Seider, Walman, Edvinsson, Maatta, and THEN buy out Holl AND Petry.

Chiarot's Agent - Chiarot

Chiarot by himself

Chiarot-Chiarot's Agent

1st PP - Chiarot by himself.

2nd PP - Chiarot and Chiarot's agent with goalie pulled

1st PK - Chiarot in net by himself.

2nd PK - Chiarot's agent in net and Chiarot

12 minutes ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

I actually think we need to trade Seider, Walman, Edvinsson, Maatta, and THEN buy out Holl AND Petry.

Chiarot's Agent - Chiarot

Chiarot by himself

Chiarot-Chiarot's Agent

1st PP - Chiarot by himself.

2nd PP - Chiarot and Chiarot's agent with goalie pulled

1st PK - Chiarot in net by himself.

2nd PK - Chiarot's agent in net and Chiarot

Chiarot plays more minutes than every D man not named Seider. Takes more Dzone starts than every defender on the team, including Seider. Is #2, behind Seider, in both hits and blocked shots. Has a better +/- than Seider, despite scoring far less. And he runs the 2nd PK unit, with Petry and Ed swapping as his partner. 

He's easily the #2 Dman on this team, and he has two more seasons under contract. Rant and rave all you like, he's not going anywhere with that usage by his coach. So smarten up and start yelling about Derek on every thread you want to derail with the same topic.

1 hour ago, Jimmybigrigs69 said:

Chiarot plays more minutes than every D man not named Seider.

This is why we're not in the playoffs.

Takes more Dzone starts than every defender on the team, including Seider.

The puck is iced more often while he's on the ice by a large margin.

Is #2, behind Seider, in both hits and blocked shots.

He stands in the way watching the puck and doesn't help get the puck out of our zone BEFORE shots come at him.

Has a better +/- than Seider, despite scoring far less.

Seider suffers when paired with Chiarot.

And he runs the 2nd PK unit, with Petry and Ed swapping as his partner. 

He runs the 2nd PK unit into Goals Against.

He's easily the #2 Dman on this team, and he has two more seasons under contract.

Him being on the 2nd pairing and getting lots of minutes cost us a playoff season.

Rant and rave all you like, he's not going anywhere with that usage by his coach.

Neither are the Red Wings.  Notice how we're NOT in the playoffs?

So smarten up and start yelling about Derek on every thread you want to derail with the same topic.

Derek has to play the players he's given.  YzerSCAM signed the TRASH, and he has to play them.  He can't just scratch Chiarot, Petry, and Husso.  They're TRASH, but there's an order to things if you want to keep your job in a company.  As fans, we can't do anything about YzerSCAM and LaDUMB playing TWO TRASH DEFENSEMEN 20 minutes a night.  But we can at least recognize that one thing keeps happening while those 20 minutes are going on - The Red Wings chase the opponents' cycles in our own end, the TWO TRASH DEFENSEMEN continually turn the puck over or ice it (this is why they have high D Zone Start and shot block stats, btw - not because they're so dependable and rock solid at blocking shots), and we take penalties or get scored on.

Start watching the games next year, Colin.  You'll come around.

16 hours ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

This is why we're not in the playoffs.

Then you have a problem with the coach, not Chiarot

The puck is iced more often while he's on the ice by a large margin.

Whats the margin?

He stands in the way watching the puck and doesn't help get the puck out of our zone BEFORE shots come at him.

Same reason Mo is #2 in the league in blocked shots this year?

Seider suffers when paired with Chiarot

And Chiarot suffers with Seider, they have zero chemistry together

He runs the 2nd PK unit into Goals Against.

Wrong. There's 132 PK Dmen in this league. Of the bottom 66 of those in terms of short handed ice time (2nd unit PK Dmen), Chiarot is 13th in fewest short handed goals against per 60min of play. Meaning he is in the top 20% of 2nd unit PK Dmen in not allowing PP goals. 

Him being on the 2nd pairing and getting lots of minutes cost us a playoff season.

Only reason we didn't make the playoffs is cause Chiarot plays a ton? Hmmmm i guess you have a problem with the coach then

Neither are the Red Wings.  Notice how we're NOT in the playoffs?

Again, then you have a problem coaches player usage, not Chiarot

Derek has to play the players he's given.  YzerSCAM signed the TRASH, and he has to play them.  He can't just scratch Chiarot, Petry, and Husso.  They're TRASH, but there's an order to things if you want to keep your job in a company.  As fans, we can't do anything about YzerSCAM and LaDUMB playing TWO TRASH DEFENSEMEN 20 minutes a night.  But we can at least recognize that one thing keeps happening while those 20 minutes are going on - The Red Wings chase the opponents' cycles in our own end, the TWO TRASH DEFENSEMEN continually turn the puck over or ice it (this is why they have high D Zone Start and shot block stats, btw - not because they're so dependable and rock solid at blocking shots), and we take penalties or get scored on.

Absolutely not true. Yzerman spent 3.2 million on a 3 year contract for Holl, and Newsy gave him the fewest minutes on the team and benched him half the season. Yzerman spent 5 million on Ghost and Newsy gave him the even strength minutes of a bottom pair Dman. Walman and Petry make far less money and play way more than their counterparts. Lalonde does not at all deploy his Dman based on contract. 

Start watching the games next year, Colin.  You'll come around.

The numbers show your personal eyeball test is garbage. 

Edited by Jimmybigrigs69

1 hour ago, Jimmybigrigs69 said:

Then you have a problem with the coach, not Chiarot

Both

Whats the margin?

A Lot

Same reason Mo is #2 in the league in blocked shots this year?

Mo blocks a lot of shots up between the dots close to his man.  Chiarot blocks all his shots by the goalie.  Mo - active shot blocking.  Chiarot - passive pylon shot blocking.  Big difference.

And Chiarot suffers with Seider, they have zero chemistry together

Agreed.  Chiarot always suffers.

Wrong. There's 132 PK Dmen in this league. Of the bottom 66 of those in terms of short handed ice time (2nd unit PK Dmen), Chiarot is 13th in fewest short handed goals against per 60min of play. Meaning he is in the top 20% of 2nd unit PK Dmen in not allowing PP goals. 

No idea how to get these stats, but I'll concede here.

Only reason we didn't make the playoffs is cause Chiarot plays a ton? Hmmmm i guess you have a problem with the coach then

Big problem with brass and coaches.  Chiarot is just the pawn.  He sucks, and I blame you for not recognizing that.  But I dont blame Chiarot for playing the minutes he's given.  The coach is definitely to blame.

Again, then you have a problem coaches player usage, not Chiarot

See above.

Absolutely not true. Yzerman spent 3.2 million on a 3 year contract for Holl, and Newsy gave him the fewest minutes on the team and benched him half the season. Yzerman spent 5 million on Ghost and Newsy gave him the even strength minutes of a bottom pair Dman. Walman and Petry make far less money and play way more than their counterparts. Lalonde does not at all deploy his Dman based on contract. 

Holl played 38 games.  Half a season.  Should have played over Petry and seen more work.  But we DO have a logjam created by coach and GM.  

The numbers show your personal eyeball test is garbage. 

Wrong.  If you watch, you will test out exactly the same.  We get cycled on, ice the puck, take penalties, and get scored on when Chiarot is on the ice.  Our team always struggles to play in the offensive zone while he's out there.  Thems facts if you watch.

Why are you writing inside my comment? Learn how to post.

20 minutes ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

A lot

What's a lot?

30 minutes ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

Mo blocks a lot of shots up between the dots close to his man.  Chiarot blocks all his shots by the goalie.  Mo - active shot blocking.  Chiarot - passive pylon shot blocking.  Big difference.

Okay now I know you're just making stuff up. Chiarot loves to roam. Which is exactly why he and Seider didn't work together. Perhaps you should.... watch the games.

33 minutes ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

Big problem with brass and coaches.  Chiarot is just the pawn.  He sucks, and I blame you for not recognizing that.  But I dont blame Chiarot for playing the minutes he's given.  The coach is definitely to blame.

I don't love Chiarot, but your bashing him is way over the top. His best year in the winged wheel was this season. And with the load he's been given to carry, he's definately earned that contract. No one else on this team is even close to capable of handling the hard minutes he plays. Don't like? Post about Yzerman and Lalonde. They wanted him, and they're big time using him. 

40 minutes ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

Holl played 38 games.  Half a season.  Should have played over Petry and seen more work.  But we DO have a logjam created by coach and GM

Not sure what your point is. You asserted that Newsy only plays Chiarot/players because of their contract, and Holl/Petry/Walman/Maata all prove that's false.

44 minutes ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

Wrong.  If you watch, you will test out exactly the same.  We get cycled on, ice the puck, take penalties, and get scored on when Chiarot is on the ice.  Our team always struggles to play in the offensive zone while he's out there.  Thems facts if you watch.

If any of that is true, I'm curious why he's only -4 then, while Ghost is -16. What's your take there?

3 hours ago, Jimmybigrigs69 said:

Why are you writing inside my comment? Learn how to post.

What's a lot?

Okay now I know you're just making stuff up. Chiarot loves to roam. Which is exactly why he and Seider didn't work together. Perhaps you should.... watch the games.

I don't love Chiarot, but your bashing him is way over the top. His best year in the winged wheel was this season. And with the load he's been given to carry, he's definately earned that contract. No one else on this team is even close to capable of handling the hard minutes he plays. Don't like? Post about Yzerman and Lalonde. They wanted him, and they're big time using him. 

Not sure what your point is. You asserted that Newsy only plays Chiarot/players because of their contract, and Holl/Petry/Walman/Maata all prove that's false.

If any of that is true, I'm curious why he's only -4 then, while Ghost is -16. What's your take there?

Already posted a million times that Gost during the last 30 games was a lot different than the first 50 games Gost.  Already said that minimum 3 times.  Selective reading is helping you about as much as your selective watching.  

2 hours ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

Already posted a million times that Gost during the last 30 games was a lot different than the first 50 games Gost.  Already said that minimum 3 times.  Selective reading is helping you about as much as your selective watching.  

You havent mentioned it once in this thread, but by all means change the topic to the last 30 games instead of addressing anything I said. 

But sure, ill agree, why not, Ghost scored a good amount in the last 30. Hes still terrible at defense, and at 31 thats never going to change. Maybe next time he should play "better" in the first 50+ games and maybe then he'll keep his job. 

2 hours ago, Jimmybigrigs69 said:

You havent mentioned it once in this thread, but by all means change the topic to the last 30 games instead of addressing anything I said. 

But sure, ill agree, why not, Ghost scored a good amount in the last 30. Hes still terrible at defense, and at 31 thats never going to change. Maybe next time he should play "better" in the first 50+ games and maybe then he'll keep his job. 

Even tho he wasnt spectacular 5 on 5 the last 30 games,  he was serviceable = not a mess and liability.  First 50 games he was dogs***.  Agree with u there.

9 hours ago, Jimmybigrigs69 said:

Thats a good guy to pay 5 million (sarcasm)

I wouldn't pay him 5 million.  I wouldn't bring him back TBH.  Edvinsson is ready for that role, and ASP right behind him.  We have (3) good puck movers in Edvinsson/Seider/ASP.  Just need to let them move it.