• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

joesuffP

All Purpose Grand Rapids Griffins Thread

Rate this topic

Just now, Axl Foley said:

Nope. Saying that a good showing at TC does not guarantee a career in the NHL. And that injury after TC may have played a part in his lack of development.

Like I said, pro scouts have more misses than hits. And they pick their players based on how well they show. 

I dont see how that makes someone an idiot.

There was a rumor floating around WIIM that his injury had nothing to do with it. He was just bad. They even said the Wings thought his TC was bad.

Sorry, but that makes you look like a poor judge of talent (dumb).

10 minutes ago, bIueadams said:

There was a rumor floating around WIIM that his injury had nothing to do with it. He was just bad. They even said the Wings thought his TC was bad.

Sorry, but that makes you look like a poor judge of talent (dumb).

So every scout must be dumb then too.

9 minutes ago, Axl Foley said:

I thought this violated forum rules.

If you don't want to believe me, then don't. I dont need validation from you. But don't accuse me of a deliberate falsehood without any proof. That just makes you a dick.

On 8/28/2023 at 5:51 PM, bIueadams said:

So basically here is the roster for the Griffs to start the season (assuming no prospects make the Wings)

Hirose - Kasper - Mazur
Hanas - Czarnik - Soderblom
Doucet -  Lombardi - Luff
Gettinger - L'Esperance - Shine
Stevens/Bliss

Edvinsson - Rafferty
Johansson - McIsaac
Wallinder - Tuomisto
Newpower/Viro/Didier

Lyon/Reimer
Cossa
Lethemon

I like this roster. The Wings are much deeper, but so are the Griffins. L'Esperance, Shine, and Luff were basically top6 forwards for the Griffs last year. They're going to get pushed down into the bottom 6 most likely which is great for the teams depth. A full season of Mazur, Kasper, Lombardi, and Soderblom on the team should be hella nice too.

Rafferty was a solid veteran pickup on D. Newpower, Viro, and Didier are all basically AHL regulars who may get forced down to the walleye to start the season, again, great depth for the team.

I would have been happy with Cossa and Lethemon in net, but knowing that one of Lyon or Reimer is going to be there too is even better.

New HC Dan Watson knows most these guys well from his time with the Walleye. This should be an operation in hit the ground running for the Griffins.

When Ben Simon and his staff got fired the Wings opted to retain Mike Knuble as AC. But apparently he has since resigned his position. No worries though, we got Brian Lashoff at AC now, who basically mentored every single player on this team already. Simon has since been hired as an AC for the Iowa Wild.

Notable departures:

• Pontus Andreasson - went back to the SHL
  • Alex Chiasson - signed PTO with the Bruins
  • Kirill Tyutyayev - was not re-signed to an AHL contract and opted to sign an ECHL contract with the Walleye @Neomaxizoomdweebie is an idiot
  • Chase Pearson - THE PEARSGOD is still a free agent
  • Danny O'Regan - still a free agent
  • Alex Nedeljkovic - signed with the Pens
  • Victor Brattstrom - went back to the SHL

For anyone living in GR I think this would be a season to visit the Griffs.

Kasper/Czarnik/Lomarbi/L'Esperence at C is insane. Kasper is probably a young NHL capable C. Czarnik is an AHLer worthy of occasional NHL callups. Lombardi has loads of offensive talent. And L'Esperance probably deserves consideration for a callup too at this point because he's been a fantastic AHL C for the Griffs, and he's played in the NHL before.

Every RW could probably play in the top 6: Mazur, Soder, Shine, Luff. I wouldn't be surprised to see Luff or Mazur shift to the LW to balance the lines behind Hirose. Especially Mazur, as he apparently likes to play off hand.

The biggest questions are the depth players, but Horcoff and SY have pretty well shored that up with depth players.

On the D:

Johansson - McIsaac played well together last year in all situations.

Edvindsson Rafferty has the potential to be amazing if they gel.

Wallinder is good on the 3rd par and Tuistomo I pray is better now than ive seen in the past. Hopefully Wallinder can make Johansson and Edvinsson look stupid. I would love him to pull a Berggren and start leapfrogging our other prospects.

Cossa and Lyon/Reimer. I assume SY selected both of the later because he likes what either of them could teach Cossa. A hard fought journeyman looking for his place versus a vet backup trying to survive. 

Im not worried about Lombardi, Kasper, Soderblom, Mazur, Johanssan, or Wallinder this year.

I AM worried about Edvinsson, Cossa, McIsaac, and Tuomisto.

Edvinsson showed extreme promise in Sweden, but now I need to see it in the AHL. Last year was okay. He's going to enter the year injured and go back to the Griffs. That's fine but I want to see dominance when he returns. If he doesn't F him and start calling up Johanssan and Wallinder. Unfortunately it's clear to me at this point that he's not a total beast natural talent like Seider at this point. That's okay, he can still be a later bloomer like Hedman, but then we need to adjust the yzerplan.

Cossa. I'm less worried about this guy than most. His attitude is crazy good. He's probably going to win the backup spot in GR, but what I want is to see him win is the starting spot over Lyon/Reimer and end one of their careers. That would be cray cray amaze balls.

McIsaac literally looked like a top5 pick when he was 15/16. It seems he's already become another sinking pick that Holland took like Zadina and Veleno. He's rapidly approaching the point where we should just trade him for his own sake, because we're nice. I like him, he plays in all situations in GR, but he's being leapfrogged at this point and we might as well give him a chance somewhere else.

Tuoimisto is garbage. He was garbage in Denver. And in Finland. There's zero chance he ever makes the Wings. Use him for depth and then he'll be gone.

On 9/1/2023 at 8:59 PM, bIueadams said:

If you don't want to believe me, then don't. I dont need validation from you. But don't accuse me of a deliberate falsehood without any proof. That just makes you a dick.

This might actually be cute if I actually did any of those things with your post.

On 9/2/2023 at 7:07 PM, Axl Foley said:

This might actually be cute if I actually did any of those things with your post.

I never stated it as fact. I said it was a rumor. Rumors cannot be proven, otherwise they would be fact.

You aren't questioning the validity of the rumor, you are accusing people of deliberately making things up, there is a difference.

There is a difference between telling someone they're wrong, and calling them a liar. The former is the point of discourse, the latter is just being a dick.

On 9/1/2023 at 10:24 PM, bIueadams said:

For anyone living in GR I think this would be a season to visit the Griffs.

Kasper/Czarnik/Lomarbi/L'Esperence at C is insane. Kasper is probably a young NHL capable C. Czarnik is an AHLer worthy of occasional NHL callups. Lombardi has loads of offensive talent. And L'Esperance probably deserves consideration for a callup too at this point because he's been a fantastic AHL C for the Griffs, and he's played in the NHL before.

Every RW could probably play in the top 6: Mazur, Soder, Shine, Luff. I wouldn't be surprised to see Luff or Mazur shift to the LW to balance the lines behind Hirose. Especially Mazur, as he apparently likes to play off hand.

The biggest questions are the depth players, but Horcoff and SY have pretty well shored that up with depth players.

On the D:

Johansson - McIsaac played well together last year in all situations.

Edvindsson Rafferty has the potential to be amazing if they gel.

Wallinder is good on the 3rd par and Tuistomo I pray is better now than ive seen in the past. Hopefully Wallinder can make Johansson and Edvinsson look stupid. I would love him to pull a Berggren and start leapfrogging our other prospects.

Cossa and Lyon/Reimer. I assume SY selected both of the later because he likes what either of them could teach Cossa. A hard fought journeyman looking for his place versus a vet backup trying to survive. 

Im not worried about Lombardi, Kasper, Soderblom, Mazur, Johanssan, or Wallinder this year.

I AM worried about Edvinsson, Cossa, McIsaac, and Tuomisto.

Edvinsson showed extreme promise in Sweden, but now I need to see it in the AHL. Last year was okay. He's going to enter the year injured and go back to the Griffs. That's fine but I want to see dominance when he returns. If he doesn't F him and start calling up Johanssan and Wallinder. Unfortunately it's clear to me at this point that he's not a total beast natural talent like Seider at this point. That's okay, he can still be a later bloomer like Hedman, but then we need to adjust the yzerplan.

Cossa. I'm less worried about this guy than most. His attitude is crazy good. He's probably going to win the backup spot in GR, but what I want is to see him win is the starting spot over Lyon/Reimer and end one of their careers. That would be cray cray amaze balls.

McIsaac literally looked like a top5 pick when he was 15/16. It seems he's already become another sinking pick that Holland took like Zadina and Veleno. He's rapidly approaching the point where we should just trade him for his own sake, because we're nice. I like him, he plays in all situations in GR, but he's being leapfrogged at this point and we might as well give him a chance somewhere else.

Tuoimisto is garbage. He was garbage in Denver. And in Finland. There's zero chance he ever makes the Wings. Use him for depth and then he'll be gone.

You are missing the mark HUGE on Edvinsson.  He's a man child.  But he's NOT a left handed Seider.  He's a left handed Uwe Krupp but with a lot better skating.  If you're expecting him to play like Seider, youre going to be disappointed.  Edvinsson will tilt the ice our way with his reach and transition speed.  Not his hitting and board work.  If he does pick up the ability to play physical hockey, he will be BETTER than Seider. But that's not what he is showing right now.  2LHD Anchor is what we need out of Edvinsson.

3 hours ago, marcaractac said:

As for goalies in GR, don't forget Lethemon. I think we see the Toledo duo in GR this season. Lyon will beat out Reimer as the backup in Detroit. 

Lethemon will probs go back and forth. Im rooting for him. Pretty sure Jan Bednar will be with the Walleye fulltime as well.

I'm planning to get to a ton of GR games this year. This team is going to be loaded with future Red Wings, and should be one of the top teams in the AHL. I saw them a few times last season and it was cool seeing Edvinsson, Johansson, and Hanas out there. This year will be even better with Wallinder, Kasper, Mazur, Cossa, and Lombardi on the team too. I may end up watching more GR games live than Detroit games this season.

On 9/1/2023 at 5:26 PM, Axl Foley said:

Nope. Saying that a good showing at TC does not guarantee a career in the NHL. And that injury after TC may have played a part in his lack of development.

Like I said, pro scouts have more misses than hits. And they pick their players based on how well they show. 

I dont see how that makes someone an idiot.

Tyutyayev has terminated his ECHL contract and returned to Europe. 

On 1/25/2024 at 10:31 AM, Troy McClure said:

Tyutyayev has terminated his ECHL contract and returned to Europe. 

Tyutayev played 5 games in the KHL and was then demoted to the VHL, which is worse than the ECHL

What are the plans for the Griffins this offseason?

Sorta like the Wings, they are a bubble team, sitting middle of the league, 3rd in their division.

Dan Watson has done a very mediocre job IMO. With most big players playing up to expectations, including prospects Berggren, Edvinsson, and Mazur, and veterans Hirose and Czarnik.

However, many of our secondary prospects and vets have floundered. Including Soderblom, Hanas, Kasper, Lombardi, Rafferty, and Cossa.

This is longtime ECHL coach Dan Watson's first year at this level, so he's not going anywhere. But I think a few personnel decisions need to be made to help him.

Forwards:

Berggren --> should be the only forward promoted to the Red Wings next year.

Hirose and Czarnik --> good veterans who should be re-signed.

Zach Aston-Reese --> great physical grinding forward, that can play a #13 role on an NHL roster, but seems incapable of realistically playing in any sort of top 6 role, including in the the AHL. And IMO should be released after this season.

Tim Gettinger --> The teams Rasmussen. I'm happy to keep him for the Griffins sake, but don't expect him to do anything beyond being a career AHL big body.

The 3 prospects I would consider replacing Berggren, ZAR, and Gettinger with are Danielson, Buchnelikov, and Finnie. Can we get Buch out of Russia? Are Danielson and Finnie eligible to play in the AHL next year? I honestly don't know. Hoping someone else does. If not, we will have to seek out more vets, or convince a college prospect to forego their degree.

Defense:

Edvinsson --> should be the only Dman promoted to the Red Wings next year.

Johansson and McIsaac --> both should be re-signed. McIsaac's injury troubles have probably derailed his career to the point of bust at this point. But he's still an effective blueliner when healthy, and turns 24 in March. I'm happy to keep him even if he never joins the Wings.

Rafferty --> Disappointing season IMO, and we need more from the only true veteran D on the roster. He still has a contract next season. I would consider offering him up for future considerations to free up the roster spot for someone else.

The 3 prospects I would consider replacing Edvinsson, and possibly McIsaac and Rafferty, with are ASP, Gibson, and Anton Johansson. Again, not sure if Gibson is eligible to play in the AHL next season. Hoping someone else knows. But if not, I think either or both of ASP and AJ are good choices. But they are also very young still, and I would be fine to leave them in the SHL for another season and pursue another vet.

Goalies:

Cossa --> should remain as a starter for the Griffins.

Hutchinson --> sucks and should be released.

Lethemon --> really down year for hm... happy to replace or keep, but he cannot be expected to do anything more than play for the walleye if kept.

Trey Augustine is too young to pull out of college, so we will need to find a new vet backup/partner for Cossa. Honestly we should try to bring Calvin Pickard or Magnus Hellberg back to do this. They can be lured back to serve as 3rd string to Husso and Lyon, while Cossa continues to refine his game.

3 hours ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

ASP and Buium coming up soon.

I think ASP more than likely signs his ELC this summer, whether he actually comes over IDK

I think Buium should finish his 4 years in Denver (1 more year)

Matt Luff waived yesterday. Means he's finally returning from injury he sustained at training camp. Feel like the guy has mostly been forgotten about - even though he played 20 games for the wings last year. Should be a nice shot in the arm for the Griffins to have him back.