• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

joesuffP

All Purpose Grand Rapids Griffins Thread

Rate this topic

Kind of hard to keep track of the Griffins around here. I know some of you guys watch a lot of games, thought it would be nice to see updates on how our prospects have been.

I know AA has been lighting it up since being sent down but I heard Mantha was scratched randomly despite playing well on this stretch.

There's a Griffins thread in the "Minor and Pro Team Affiliates" section.

But yeah, Mantha was a healthy scratch last night for Frk (who ended up scoring the game winner). Nelson was asked after the game if there was any particular reason Mantha was scratched, or if he was having a setback from his concussion symptoms from the fight a couple weeks ago, and Nelson said he was fine, just a "coach's decision"... Seemed very odd to me, especially with how well Mantha has been playing of late... I still think Nelson is a bit of a moron, but the team is finally clicking with 9 straight wins...

There's a Griffins thread in the "Minor and Pro Team Affiliates" section.

But yeah, Mantha was a healthy scratch last night for Frk (who ended up scoring the game winner). Nelson was asked after the game if there was any particular reason Mantha was scratched, or if he was having a setback from his concussion symptoms from the fight a couple weeks ago, and Nelson said he was fine, just a "coach's decision"... Seemed very odd to me, especially with how well Mantha has been playing of late... I still think Nelson is a bit of a moron, but the team is finally clicking with 9 straight wins...

That's where threads go to die

I feel kinda bad for Mantha.

Leg broke - s****y season.

Post season gets called out by organization (and us - including me).

New season - Griffins start off s****y and Mantha isn't playing "up to expectations" and already scratched.

A lot of time these huge, skilled guys take a while to be more assertive. You really have to drill it into their heads that they have this huge advantage that they haven't had to utilize in the minor league. Some players figure it out and some don't sadly. A guy like Blake Wheeler is just in the last couple years putting it all together and using his size and being assertive, a lot of people weren't happy with his play style when he came into the league. Learning the hard way will benefit him just got to keep driving it into his brain

I think the Q is a bad league to adjust from. Unless you're a super star in the making theirs going to be a big adjustment period

Mantha has been one of the Griffins' best players every single night, only bested by Athanasiou (and Jurco when he was down). He's been keeping his feet moving away from the puck, making smart decisions with the puck, and has just been snake bitten. Early on in the season, he just could not catch a break, every opportunity (many were self created, using his speed and body to shield the puck) was negated, whether it be a huge save by the goaltender, or hitting the post, nothing was going his way. You can tell lately he has been second guessing himself, and a few grade A scoring chances, he has passed the puck off to a teammate. He had at least four 2 on 1 / 2 on 0 breaks with Athanasiou over the past few games and Athanasiou would have the puck and try to set up Mantha for the goal, but Mantha would immediately send it back, and Athanasiou scored on a couple but also missed on a couple, one in particular, he just didn't look like he was expecting the pass back. So the only thing I can think of which would be somewhat of a logical reason for Nelson to scratch him, is to put Frk on that line, who he knows isn't shy about shooting every opportunity he gets, and maybe send some sort of message to Mantha, that he needs to be the finisher on that line, not the passer. Athanasiou is a great playmaking center, when he sends it your way, you better bury it...

I still don't like the decision because he could have taken Mantha off that line without taking him out of the lineup by simply taking Cleary or Campbell out. Either way, I hope whatever the reason, Mantha gets back in on Saturday and keeps playing the way he's been playing all season. The points will come for sure...

Mantha has been one of the Griffins' best players every single night, only bested by Athanasiou (and Jurco when he was down). He's been keeping his feet moving away from the puck, making smart decisions with the puck, and has just been snake bitten. Early on in the season, he just could not catch a break, every opportunity (many were self created, using his speed and body to shield the puck) was negated, whether it be a huge save by the goaltender, or hitting the post, nothing was going his way. You can tell lately he has been second guessing himself, and a few grade A scoring chances, he has passed the puck off to a teammate. He had at least four 2 on 1 / 2 on 0 breaks with Athanasiou over the past few games and Athanasiou would have the puck and try to set up Mantha for the goal, but Mantha would immediately send it back, and Athanasiou scored on a couple but also missed on a couple, one in particular, he just didn't look like he was expecting the pass back. So the only thing I can think of which would be somewhat of a logical reason for Nelson to scratch him, is to put Frk on that line, who he knows isn't shy about shooting every opportunity he gets, and maybe send some sort of message to Mantha, that he needs to be the finisher on that line, not the passer. Athanasiou is a great playmaking center, when he sends it your way, you better bury it...

I still don't like the decision because he could have taken Mantha off that line without taking him out of the lineup by simply taking Cleary or Campbell out. Either way, I hope whatever the reason, Mantha gets back in on Saturday and keeps playing the way he's been playing all season. The points will come for sure...

Ya I'm thinking he's just sending a message ... I'm not worried about mantha + there's some guys that for some reason have better numbers in the NHL than ahl ...mantha has all the tools, abilities,size,skating,shot that if he plays with a Larkin/athanasiou in Detroit he will produce

It's not like mantha is the only guy having problems this year ... Doesn't bertuzzi have 1 goal? Nosek 1?

Maybe the problem is the coach , he did a disaster job in Edmonton and Grand Rapids started like 1-9? Maybe we're winning despite him

Could be wrong but I'd say the best players from the 5-6 games I seen and stats are mostly dmen with the exception of athanasiou ... Besides Andreas and the vets the forwards are doing nothing

And to be honest I got no interest in the vets I'd be more concerned with trying to get the next wave of hopefuls lighting it up , not the tangredi's of the team

Yeah, Russo has been quietly going about his business and has been making strides each game I've seen. He has never really stood out much to me in the games, which isn't a bad thing, and he's been putting up points, which is great to see. He's been paired with Ouellet for most of the season and they have definitely been one of the steadiest pairings. I still say Sproul has been the best defender down in GR so far this season, but Russo is definitely making a name for himself.

Yeah, Russo has been quietly going about his business and has been making strides each game I've seen. He has never really stood out much to me in the games, which isn't a bad thing, and he's been putting up points, which is great to see. He's been paired with Ouellet for most of the season and they have definitely been one of the steadiest pairings. I still say Sproul has been the best defender down in GR so far this season, but Russo is definitely making a name for himself.

Cool. Thx for your insight. I only watch a few griffs games a year, so good to have a birds eye view from you.

I put a lot of stock in +/- when determining a player's value to the team, so Russo's +11 in 16 games impresses me.

We seriously need to start calling up some dmen ... I know Injuries will likely happen but if I recall sproul ouellet Jensen and marchenko who's already in Detroit will all have to go through waivers next year?

Defensemen are at a premnium and they'd get claimed for sure ... Ouellet is most likely a future redwing u less he's dealt ... Same as marchenko who's already up

Sproul has been doing great and I don't wanna ruin the progress by Calling him up too soon, Jensen I'd like to see have a shot at 3-5 games in a row see how he does and if he's got a future here or can have some value in a trade package

Kindl is a goner ... Quincey is a ufa and likely gone and smith although been better of late I don't Invision being a longtime redwing .... Time to see some of those young dmen, if not package one + others for a ufa like byfuglien ,think we got a real shot these playoffs to make some serious noise

We seriously need to start calling up some dmen ... I know Injuries will likely happen but if I recall sproul ouellet Jensen and marchenko who's already in Detroit will all have to go through waivers next year?

Defensemen are at a premnium and they'd get claimed for sure ... Ouellet is most likely a future redwing u less he's dealt ... Same as marchenko who's already up

Sproul has been doing great and I don't wanna ruin the progress by Calling him up too soon, Jensen I'd like to see have a shot at 3-5 games in a row see how he does and if he's got a future here or can have some value in a trade package

Kindl is a goner ... Quincey is a ufa and likely gone and smith although been better of late I don't Invision being a longtime redwing .... Time to see some of those young dmen, if not package one + others for a ufa like byfuglien ,think we got a real shot these playoffs to make some serious noise

You are correct on those needing to pass through waivers next season.

Its been said many times, that there needs to be a trade here and there, but every time it seems like the f.o. will be forced to make a hard decision, another injury pushes that decision back further.

And trading quantity for quality really doesn't happen, so chances are were going to lose at least one of these guys to waivers.

At this point any trade wed make would have to be for picks, then we could always package the picks up for an asset, (which would seem more likely in the case for buff) but I guess we could always come into next season with 8 d men instead of a 14th forward.

He played another great game and once again was one of the best players on the ice tonight. He was denied on a breakaway opportunity, used his speed to blow by a defender and made a nice forehand backhand move, but couldn't quite squeak it through the fivehole. The chemistry between him and Athanasiou is unreal. Unfortunately AA left the game in the third and didn't return. Hopefully he's okay and is in the lineup tomorrow night. Mantha now has 10 points in his past 8 games, and is looking better and better each and every game. It still shocks me when he puts it in full gear, he can really move. Extremely fast for such a big body.

The win streak has reached 10, which I believe ties the franchise record. They could break it tomorrow night in Iowa.

Over a point a game you say. Over 10 games. Good enough for me. Seems he's come over the hump since last season, with his broken leg and the troubles with building up the leg afterwards.

Let's see what he does for 5 more. If he sustains I wouldn't mind him feeling out some NHL minutes when someone goes down. Nothing permanent, just getting his feet wet.