• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bill Berzeench

Right Handed Players

Rate this topic

To be a sniper, you have to score goals. You dont call a guy who scores 15 goals a year a sniper. Pulkkinen is an AHL sniper. Not NHL. When/if he breaks the 30 mark, we will talk about him. Frk? He hasnt even reached sniper status in the AHL.

Edited by Bill Berzeench

6 of the top 10 goal scorers are left handed. Theory debunked.

Teemu Pulkkinen, Mike Green, and Martin Frk have a combined 8 NHL goals this year. Larkin, Nyquist, and Tatar have 37. Theory debunked.

Next?

While I agree that there's no real correlation between strength vs stick handing and how you hold your stick compared to your dominant hand, there's better ways to respond to his post. Your comment doesn't necessarily debunk anything either because you haven't done anything to validate whether the samples you chose for your argument are representative of the population as a whole.

But from a biological standpoint, both strength and hand coordination result from repetitive exercises. If you work out your left arm more than your right, even if you're right handed your left arm will be stronger. The repetition that comes from practicing stick handling and shooting since a player was a young kid all through adolescence and into adulthood will fine tune whatever muscles and neurons they're using to be optimally good at whatever task they have to go through on a daily basis. In other words, if a guy practices stick handing as a right-handed shot his whole life, he's going to be a good stick handler as a righty regardless of how he holds a pencil.

My hypothesis as to why there are more lefties in the NHL, especially among Canadian and European populations, is because generally I think players who get into the NHL (particularly children of Canadian and European families, who dream of their child becoming a hockey star) have a stick put into their hand at a very young age, and when you're a two or three year old, you generally hold a hockey stick with only one hand because you're too predisposed with trying to walk upright to handle it properly with two hands and a solid bend in the knee, and its only natural that your dominant hand is the one that you're holding the butt of that stick with. As these kids develop, they've grown used to holding their dominant hand at the butt (see above pertaining to repetition training muscles and nerves) so it's more natural for them to reach down with their nondominant hand to control the blade once they're comfortable using two hands instead of one.

I suspect more players who start hockey later in life (after they're well coordinated and holding a stick with two hands and balancing on their feet isn't an issue) will naturally put their dominant hand closer to the blade, where more control is required. Less of these players tend to make it to the NHL because they started hockey at a later age. And more Americans dream of their kid becoming a football star or a baseball star so it's less likely that a kid's parent will put a stick in his hand at 2 than it is a football or a bat.

But this is just a hypothesis. I have no idea if there's any actual truth to it.

To be a sniper, you have to score goals. You dont call a guy who scores 15 goals a year a sniper. Pulkkinen is an AHL sniper. Not NHL. When/if he breaks the 30 mark, we will talk about him. Frk? He hasnt even reached sniper status in the AHL.

Jesus H. Christ on a Popsicle stick this isn't about the skill level it's about handedness and propensity towards TYPE of skill. Pulkinen is most assuredly more skilled at sniping than stick handling just as Datsyuk is most assuredly more skilled at stick handling than sniping.

Edited by Mckinley25

Jesus H. Christ on a Popsicle stick this isn't about the skill level it's about handedness and propensity towards TYPE of skill. Pulkinen is most assuredly more skilled at sniping than stick handling just as Datsyuk is most assuredly more skilled at stick handling than sniping.

I wont disagree that Pulkkinen is a better shooter than playmaker.

Hell you got 2 more RH'd defensemen in GR just waiting to get their chance, but the roster is filled with useless lefties like Erection and Kindl and an abysmal Kronwall...dump the chumps and you gain more RH'ers...

Edited by LeftWinger

yeah i dont really understand the theory of right handed players should shoot left and left handed players should shoot right.

im a righty i shoot righty thats what was always natural to me. i guess if i was given a left handed stick and had to stick with it, it would be different. i tried for a little to play with a left handed stick but have no power or accuracy,

i think my body adapted to it cause my left arm is just as strong if not stronger than my right.

our team just needs to find the back of the net. its not because of the lack of rightys. im sure when we won the cup we had just as many rightys as we do now

yeah i dont really understand the theory of right handed players should shoot left and left handed players should shoot right.

im a righty i shoot righty thats what was always natural to me. i guess if i was given a left handed stick and had to stick with it, it would be different. i tried for a little to play with a left handed stick but have no power or accuracy,

i think my body adapted to it cause my left arm is just as strong if not stronger than my right.

our team just needs to find the back of the net. its not because of the lack of rightys. im sure when we won the cup we had just as many rightys as we do now

yea im a left hander and played goalie and i remember my coach asked me if i could switch because he didnt like goalies who caught with their right hand said it was easier to score on reason he asked me was because i am ambidextrous when playing hockey and baseball i remember 5 games in feeling comfortible catching left but after that i just went down hill after switching back to catching right i had an amazing record and he never said a word again about not liking left handers lol

Edited by sjr2012

yea im a left hander and played goalie and i remember my coach asked me if i could switch because he didnt like goalies who caught with their right hand said it was easier to score on reason he asked me was because i am ambidextrous when playing hockey and baseball i remember 5 games in feeling comfortible catching left but after that i just went down hill after switching back to catching right i had an amazing record and he never said a word again about not liking left handers lol

Are you Jose Theodore?