• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
chaps80

Cam Talbot signs 3 year $12.5M extension with Oilers

Rate this topic

Goalie Cam Talbot signed a three-year contract extension with the Edmonton Oilers on Sunday, the Oilers announced.

Financial terms were not released, but TSN reported Talbot's contract is worth $12.5 million with an average annual value of $4.17 million.

Talbot was in the final season of his current contract with a salary-cap charge of $1.45 million, according to war-on-ice.com, and could have been an unrestricted free agent after the season.

"It's extremely exciting for me and my family and it's an exciting time in Edmonton,” Talbot told the Oilers website. "I'm just happy that I'm going to be around for the next three years to grow and improve with this team.

"I love the city so far. It's an exciting time with the new arena and everything coming next year and the downtown being built up, so I'm excited to be a part of this team for the next three years and hopefully moving forward and growing into a playoff team and hopefully a contender."

Talbot is 8-13-3 with a 2.58 goals-against average and .914 save percentage in 26 appearances this season, including a .941 save percentage in his past 10 starts. The Oilers acquired Talbot and a seventh-round pick in the 2015 NHL Draft from the New York Rangers on June 27, 2015 for three picks.

Talbot was 21-9-4 with a .926 save percentage and 2.21 goals-against average in 36 games for the Rangers last season, including 16-4-3 with a 2.16 GAA, .929 save percentage and two shutouts filling in for Henrik Lundqvist, who was out with a vascular injury in his neck.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=798215&navid=nhl:topheads

Edited by chaps80

Good deal for both sides. At $4.17 million for 3 years, it gives them a solid goaltender without paying too much, and the three year term won't handcuff them if he regresses(not that I think he will), and Talbot gets a bit of security and a nice payday, The Oilers have needed a solid #1 for years, now they finally have one locked up.

Good to see! Too bad that one less destination for Jimmy now! CRUD!

I remember listening to a Rags/Wings game on the radio last year and Ken Kal pronounced his name Talbert all the time...I tweeted Ken and reminded him it's Talbot. Not that it mattered, but I grew up with a kid who's last name was Talbott and he always said he hated when people pronounced it Talbert, so each time Kenny said it, it drove me nuts. He tweeted me back telling me he is trying to say it correctly....funny thing is, for the rest of the game he said it correctly, but you could hear him slow down and make sure he pronounced it Talbot...good times!

Jimmy is an albatross now. Holland has really botched this one up.

If Holland is desperate to get rid of Howard, he has other options than a trade. Howard has a NTC, not a NMC(he did but it expired)..he could waive him and see if he gets picked up. If he does'nt, bury him in the minors. He could also buy him out I think. Not really sure of the rules on that.

If Holland is desperate to get rid of Howard, he has other options than a trade. Howard has a NTC, not a NMC(he did but it expired)..he could waive him and see if he gets picked up. If he does'nt, bury him in the minors. He could also buy him out I think. Not really sure of the rules on that.

I think you can only bury $950,000, if so the he'd still have a big cap hit on our payroll...i may be wrong though.

Howard is another black eye for Holland. Stamkos will be too expensive, but Howard, Weiss, Kindl, and Tootoo will be 15 million in cap per year that does us squadoosh bit of good. Holland is just clueless.

Except Howard was putting up awesome numbers when he was signed to that contract... But let's forget about that.

I think Mrazek will end up getting more money and term. Too bad those nice bridge contracts don't exist anymore. Some of Z's best years he was only making $2.5 million before signing his huge long term deal. Nowadays it's straight from ECL to big money.

Good to see! Too bad that one less destination for Jimmy now! CRUD!

I remember listening to a Rags/Wings game on the radio last year and Ken Kal pronounced his name Talbert all the time...I tweeted Ken and reminded him it's Talbot. Not that it mattered, but I grew up with a kid who's last name was Talbott and he always said he hated when people pronounced it Talbert, so each time Kenny said it, it drove me nuts. He tweeted me back telling me he is trying to say it correctly....funny thing is, for the rest of the game he said it correctly, but you could hear him slow down and make sure he pronounced it Talbot...good times!

Is that a Canadian thing? Why would anyone pronounce Talbot as Talbert?