• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Griffins Calder Cup Playoffs Thread

Rate this topic

19 minutes ago, kylee said:

I'd want to give Bertuzzi, Nosek and Frk some extended looks. IDK about others however. Grand Rapids had a good mix of vets in the line up too this year. 

You think Bertuzzi, Nosek and Frk will get Red Wings into the playoffs? Because that's what my question is. At best they're cheaper (and maybe slightly better down the road) versions of Glendening and Sheahan. Nosek I can see being a replacement for Sheahan but Bertuzzi kinda sucked in the NHL in the games he played. Frk played two NHL games last season and was a -3. But I admit, Frk is a toss up and no one really knows with only a 2 game sample size. 

The difference between AHL and NHL is bigger than what people are assuming. 

The only one I'm looking at that impressed me was Svech. He's one of the youngest on the team, was 3rd in overall scoring in the season and a pretty good playoff run. And it was all in his first year in the AHL as a 19 year old, unlike the players you mentioned who have been there for years and are in their 20s.  

Edited by kickazz

Nosek and Frk wont do diddly in the NHL. See: Andersson, Nestrasil, Pulkkinen, Jurco, Emmerton, and probably some other forgetable players Im missing. They are high end minor leaguers, and theyll be back in europe sooner than later. Svech and Bert are the only ones on that team with NHL potential.

Mini bert id rather overripen for one more season in the AHL in the hopes he acheives NHLness

8 hours ago, kipwinger said:

This was exactly what I meant.  If we're going to have one "defensive/shutdown" line, I'd rather that line be made up of Helm/Sheahan, Abby, and Nosek, than Glendening, Ott, Miller, or whomever.  They'd be just as good defensively, and probably a little better offensively and in terms of possession.  And if a 3rd line of Neilsen, Frk, and Svechnikov could give you the same production or better then it's a relative gain.  I definitely didn't mean to sound pessimistic, I think it would give us a better 3rd and 4th line.

Kip, i get your idea, i like your idea, but Frk aint the one. Frk is never gonna be an NHLer. Pulks was better than he is, and Pulks aint diddly in the NHL. Id rather bring back Hudler

Nosek is a slightly better Andersson, and more suited for the NHL than Frk, and i seriously doubt he will last long in the NHL

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

id say id give Lil Bert a shot to steal a spot in the fall but if not give him another year in ahl than see where he goes from there im not sold on anyone else right now except jared coreau if howie or mrazek are gone

4 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Kip, i get your idea, i like your idea, but Frk aint the one. Frk is never gonna be an NHLer. Pulks was better than he is, and Pulks aint diddly in the NHL. Id rather bring back Hudler

Nosek is a slightly better Andersson, and more suited for the NHL than Frk, and i seriously doubt he will last long in the NHL

Idk about this. It is hard to guess where Frk might end up but he's got decent size, can play in the corners, and go to the dirty areas. Pulks seemed to hesitate to go into the corners and stayed away from the gritty areas. I'd give Frk a decent amount of games on 3rd line with some power play time to see if he can settle in. It's not like it's going to change anything or hurt the team. 

I see Nosek as a solid 4th line center who could fill in on 3rd line for a short period of time with injuries. He's got good size, decent hands, and is faster than Anderson. In the 3 games I watched in Syracuse, he was often the most noticeable player on the ice. Always engaged in the physical play and always driving the net. He made a lot of good things happen. Again, it won't hurt the team to give him a decent amount of time to try and get his game going.

Thats just my opinion based on the limited time I've seen these guys play. I say give em a shot.

25 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Looks like Mitch may be a moving on from the organization.

I don't think the Wings want to re-sign him, he's had some off-ice issues the past couple seasons. 

I read this last night and got the same impression. It sounds as if he's already found a new home. Curious to see where he ends up...

Just now, krsmith17 said:

I read this last night and got the same impression. It sounds as if he's already found a new home. Curious to see where he ends up...

Yeah, his Mom commented on the tweet saying she'll miss everyone in GR. That pretty much seals the deal in my book. He's gone. Momma don't lie.

On 6/16/2017 at 3:12 AM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

It doesn't work that way though.  Jurco was a better AHLer than Athanasiou and he was an NHL flop, so by your rationale AA should never have gotten a call up because he wasn't even Jurco good.  Pulkinnen had better AHL career than most NHL players did btw.  So what?  All that means is that Pulkkinen wasn't any good.  It doesn't say much at all about everyone else.  Frk shoots as well as Pulkkinen did, but he's bigger, stronger, faster, and more aggressive.  He's worth a look.  If he doesn't pan out, oh well.  In my scenario he's essentially taking Miller's roster spot, so it's a wash anyway.

Edited by kipwinger

On 6/17/2017 at 9:42 AM, kipwinger said:

It doesn't work that way though.  Jurco was a better AHLer than Athanasiou and he was an NHL flop, so by your rationale AA should never have gotten a call up because he wasn't even Jurco good.  Pulkinnen had better AHL career than most NHL players did btw.  So what?  All that means is that Pulkkinen wasn't any good.  It doesn't say much at all about everyone else.  Frk shoots as well as Pulkkinen did, but he's bigger, stronger, faster, and more aggressive.  He's worth a look.  If he doesn't pan out, oh well.  In my scenario he's essentially taking Miller's roster spot, so it's a wash anyway.

All good points, I just don't care for Frk. Plays a lot like Jurco if you ask me.