• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Griffins Calder Cup Playoffs Thread

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, joesuffP said:

Watching this on the free AHL preview and the Syracuse announcer is such a homer

You know you can switch the audio feed right? Granted, Kaser and Figurski are quite the homers themselves, but at least they're OUR homers...

Griffs looked a lot sharper tonight. Kind of went into a defensive shell towards the end but they held on. I'm drunk at the bars so I don't feel like going into details but solid game all around. Syracuse fans don't know hockey. No surprise. Wish I saw more from Svech and the other young guys. Frk took a really dumb penalty the eliminated a 5 on 3. Either way I hope to see them lift the cup again tomorrow.

On 2017-06-08 at 3:47 PM, BinMucker94 said:

If Coreau used his size to his advantage I think he would do a lot better. He's not a bad goalie he just needs to make some adjustments. Seeing him play in person last night it was obvious that he makes himself smaller when the shot is being released. It looks like there's no room then as soon as the shot is taken, holes everywhere.

Exactly. Too much movement when if he just stands tall and has his angles, there wouldn't be much to shoot at. He played great last game, first star. Good job. One more win!

Off topic, but I've read some things about who the Wings should try to get with their second pick, and the #1 ranked goalie in the draft (forget the name, but he plays for Boston U) has come up with the future of all the goalies kinda up in the air. Should be available if they can move up a few spots, but is it really necessary...

On 2017-06-08 at 1:11 PM, Buppy said:

Coreau has actually been pretty good. Couple stinker games, but also like 7-8 really good ones. His call-up wasn't very impressive, but he had some decent moments. I wouldn't mind seeing him as the backup next year.

That call-up to the big club should have helped him a lot with the holes in his game, but some are clearly still there. Can't blame him too much I guess, he did have almost a non-existent D in front of him. Only Howard played well most of the time in limited games, and Mrazek started pulling it together a bit too late, but both were a surprise. Coreau is probably a better goalie than he was before his callup though. Needs to work hard this summer. All the goalies do.

54 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Off topic, but I've read some things about who the Wings should try to get with their second pick, and the #1 ranked goalie in the draft (forget the name, but he plays for Boston U) has come up with the future of all the goalies kinda up in the air. Should be available if they can move up a few spots, but is it really necessary...

No way we should use a 2nd round pick on a goaltender in this draft. I don't think we should take any unless one we really like falls to the 6th or 7th round. We need to take as many defensemen and centers (preferably right-handed) as we can, especially in the first three rounds.

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

Check that 18-12. 5-0...

And I would say puck possession has been 75% in Griffins favor... Coreau s***ting the bed once again... Finally a goalie change.

And Helene St James will still post her weekly articles about how Coreau carried the team to the finals 

5-1 final. Street with the only Griffins goal. Coreau was awful, 5 goals on 12 shots. Pasquale was great, stopping all 19 shots he faced (made some huge saves he had no business making). I think Pasquale has earned the start next game, but guarantee they come right back with Coreau.

Bertuzzi never returned after the 2nd period. Hopefully it's nothing too serious. The Griffins still haven't lost a game at home. I expect them to win it Tuesday. 

10 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

5-1 final. Street with the only Griffins goal. Coreau was awful, 5 goals on 12 shots. Pasquale was great, stopping all 19 shots he faced (made some huge saves he had no business making). I think Pasquale has earned the start next game, but guarantee they come right back with Coreau.

Bertuzzi never returned after the 2nd period. Hopefully it's nothing too serious. The Griffins still haven't lost a game at home. I expect them to win it Tuesday. 

Bertuzzi came back to the ice after his 10 minute misconduct but sat in the grocery stick position on the bench separating the d and the forwards. I'm guessing they benched him to prevent him from doing anything stupid and possibly getting suspended.

Pasquale was unreal when he came in. It was frustrating because everyone knew if they had gotten that kind of goaltending to begin with the game would have been well within reach by the 3rd.

On 2017-06-10 at 2:55 PM, krsmith17 said:

No way we should use a 2nd round pick on a goaltender in this draft. I don't think we should take any unless one we really like falls to the 6th or 7th round. We need to take as many defensemen and centers (preferably right-handed) as we can, especially in the first three rounds.

Agreed. Goaltender is probably the team's strongest position right now. It was a bad season, and it affected everyone, including all three goalies in some way. Doubtful he'll even be available by the time the Wings second pick comes anyways, or that Holland would even consider a goalie. Don't really need another wasted higher pick on who could end up being another McCollum either.

On 2017-06-10 at 7:41 PM, krsmith17 said:

Check that 18-12. 5-0...

And I would say puck possession has been 75% in Griffins favor... Coreau s***ting the bed once again... Finally a goalie change.

5 goals on 18 shots? I read he was bad, but damn.

Play taller Jared. 60 minutes.

9 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

5 goals on 18 shots? I read he was bad, but damn.

Play taller Jared. 60 minutes.

No, 5 goals on 12 shots... Griffins had the 18 at that point... Coreau has been awful in too many games in these playoffs. I'd like to see them go with Pasquale on Tuesday, but I'm sure they'll go right back with Coreau...

5 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Goaltending might be our weakest position. Howard is too injury prone. Mrazek has attitude and play problems. Coreau is ok one game and god awful the next. Not much in the pipeline to get excited about either.

Completely disagree with this. I think most would.

7 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Why? Howard played less than 30 games, Mrazek was one of the worst starters in the league, and outside of them we dont have much to write home about.

Mrazek has also played like a Vezina candidate. I'm not writing him off yet. We also have Paterson, Perry, Van Pottelberghe, Larsson and Machovsky. I'm not saying we're loaded with goaltender prospects, but it's far from our weakest position. I would still say it's our strongest, outside of left wing.