• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kickazz

Brenden Smith placed on waivers ON HIS BDAY. LOL

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Yes. If the Rangers become sellers, I don't think they would have trouble trading Smith if they retained a significant amount of salary. At 50% of his current salary, I would take him as a 3rd pair, depth dman. I don't know if the Rags have used up their alotted number of retained salaries tho.

I was speaking from an NHL GM chair in general, not any team specifically. He wouldn't be a fit everywhere, but at half his current salary, I would add him if I was looking for D depth. I guarantee you he plays in the NHL next season somewhere.

If I was KH, I would absolutely take him over XO or Jensen tho. I just wouldnt give up anything to get him.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

Smith simply may not care anymore. He got his cash for life contract. He can slack off all he wants and never see the NHL again if that’s his chosen path. The Rangers overpaid then overpaid again. 

Not often you see that type of assets and money invested in a player just to have the team turn around and waive him. And it’s not like the Rangers are that good. It is a massive red flag.

Edited by chaps80

Chapsy, you and I can agree on this one.

Just no. Stay away.

He was a constant disappointment here. Then he signs a big deal and totally steps off the gas. This guy is dumber than even we could've predicted. Like Kick said, I wouldn't tolerate that behavior from a top player, why would I accept it from Brendan Smith.?

Just no. Stay away.

How does showing up out of game shape after one off season mean he doesn't care? To my knowledge, this hasn't been a pattern with Smith. He's been in the league for how many years now?  One off season should not define a player. Not saying he should be brought back by the Wings, they don't need him. It wouldn't be worth the assets to acquire him. But to say there are all of a sudden attitude or motivational issues seems a bit unfair IMO.

1 minute ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

How does showing up out of game shape after one off season mean he doesn't care? To my knowledge, this hasn't been a pattern with Smith. He's been in the league for how many years now?  One off season should not define a player. Not saying he should be brought back by the Wings, they don't need him. It wouldn't be worth the assets to acquire him. But to say there are all of a sudden attitude or motivational issues seems a bit unfair IMO.

I really couldn't care less what his *being s*** at hockey* issue is, all I know is he hasn't performed for two different teams. Being waived 1 year into a 4 million AAV contract is a lot worse than you're making it out to be. Smitty just became hockey cancer.  

11 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

That’s true. Who knows, he may be focused on getting in shape and improving to get a recall. Just throwing that out there that he may not care. It happens. 

Just doesn’t look good on Smith that they’d risk losing him for nothing on waivers after giving up what they gave up so far. Seems like a major issue with him. 

Edited by chaps80

For the record, I am not advocating we bring back Smith. What I am saying, is if he was bought out and wanted to come back here on a 1 year/PTO /Booth style deal, I would do it.

Worst case, he sucks and we cut him. Best case, he looks good and we trade him to the Rangers for a 2nd and a 3rd ;)

6 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

That’s true. Who knows, he may be focused on getting in shape and improving to get a recall. Just throwing that out there that he may not care. It happens. 

Just doesn’t look good on Smith that they’d risk losing him for nothing on waivers after giving up what they gave up so far. Seems like a major issue with him. 

They obviously don't plan on keeping him. Waivers is step one to see if anyone bites. Noone did. Step 2 is try to trade him after retaining salary. I think there's a good chance there. Last resort would be to buy him out and he becomes an UFA. Either way he gets picked up by another NHL team next year because he is still good enough to play in this league.

I would be shocked if he doesn't get at least a one year one way show me deal at least next year if he gets bought out.

Its not like I'm arguing he's a top 4 D here, I think we all agree he isn't even tho he's paid like one. I just don't think he's the hot garbage that some of you think he is. Its simply my opinion, y'all are certainly allowed to disagree.

3 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

They obviously don't plan on keeping him. Waivers is step one to see if anyone bites. Noone did. Step 2 is try to trade him after retaining salary. I think there's a good chance there. Last resort would be to buy him out and he becomes an UFA. Either way he gets picked up by another NHL team next year because he is still good enough to play in this league.

I would be shocked if he doesn't get at least a one year one way show me deal at least next year if he gets bought out.

Its not like I'm arguing he's a top 4 D here, I think we all agree he isn't even tho he's paid like one. I just don't think he's the hot garbage that some of you think he is. Its simply my opinion, y'all are certainly allowed to disagree.

I disagree there. This is buyout candidate numero uno.

I could seen him on an NHL PTO next year after the buyout though

@Neomaxizoomdweebie @kliq Brenden Smith has been worse than Jensen and XO this year. Go look up his numbers. Worse corsi, fenwick, PPG (but better ppg than XO) All while he’s been given better defensive partners and more playtime than both XO and Jensen (He’s played with McDonagh, Shattenkirk, Staal). This isn’t just a dude that showed up out of shape. This guy has been worse than NHL third liners with better opportunities than a lot of third liners.

So no, as an armchair GM I would not downgrade my team and get a player who performs worse than Jensen and XO.

There’s a real reason they waived him. The numbers don’t lie. He’s been more than hot garbage. He’s been a landfill site.

Edited by kickazz

10 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I disagree there. This is buyout candidate numero uno.

I could seen him on an NHL PTO next year after the buyout though

Yep. Salary retention would have to be most of his salary to move him. They’d be stuck with at least $3 million of it. Not much point. Buyout would be less.

5 hours ago, kickazz said:

@Neomaxizoomdweebie @kliq Brenden Smith has been worse than Jensen and XO this year. Go look up his numbers. Worse corsi, fenwick, PPG (but better ppg than XO) All while he’s been given better defensive partners and more playtime than both XO and Jensen (He’s played with McDonagh, Shattenkirk, Staal). This isn’t just a dude that showed up out of shape. This guy has been worse than NHL third liners with better opportunities than a lot of third liners.

So no, as an armchair GM I would not downgrade my team and get a player who performs worse than Jensen and XO.

There’s a real reason they waived him. The numbers don’t lie. He’s been more than hot garbage. He’s been a landfill site.

Im not going to lie and say I watched him this year, I haven't. Is he really worse then Jensen/XO? Yikes

Either way, my logic is that these are the kinds of players I want to bring on. Guys with a potential upside on 1 year deals that we can trade at the deadline.You're basically buying draft picks which is smart given where we are.

7 hours ago, kickazz said:

All good points.

Admittedly, Smith has played poorly this year. And I don't need to look up the stats, I'm sure they're accurate. I'm just not as concerned as you are.

Its not the first time we've seen players perform poorly after signing a big contract extension. Its a lot of pressure, and Smith is not unique in that regard.

Also, I think maybe his poor play this year is due in large part to him showing up out of game shape after the off season. He got married over the summer and partied too hard. Not the first time that's happened to someone in this league, and not Smith's usual conduct.

If I was an NHL GM and I needed to add a 3rd pair/7th guy to my roster this summer, I would absolutely look at Smith. Are there better 3rd pair D than Smith? Absolutely, never said otherwise. He's not a Kindl or Lebda or Meech. He is what he is. An underwhelming depth defenseman who, if signed on the cheap, is a decent pickup that I would take a chance on. And I bet there's at least one GM out there who agrees with me.

We'll see.

4 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

All good points.

Admittedly, Smith has played poorly this year. And I don't need to look up the stats, I'm sure they're accurate. I'm just not as concerned as you are.

Its not the first time we've seen players perform poorly after signing a big contract extension. Its a lot of pressure, and Smith is not unique in that regard.

Also, I think maybe his poor play this year is due in large part to him showing up out of game shape after the off season. He got married over the summer and partied too hard. Not the first time that's happened to someone in this league, and not Smith's usual conduct.

If I was an NHL GM and I needed to add a 3rd pair/7th guy to my roster this summer, I would absolutely look at Smith. Are there better 3rd pair D than Smith? Absolutely, never said otherwise. He's not a Kindl or Lebda or Meech. He is what he is. An underwhelming depth defenseman who, if signed on the cheap, is a decent pickup that I would take a chance on. And I bet there's at least one GM out there who agrees with me.

We'll see.

I'm sure someone considers him. I just don't want him anywhere near a team that's rebuilding and going for guys like Dahlin and has guys like Hronek, Cholowski knocking on the door step. And currently Kronwall, Ericsson, Daley and DK already on contracts. 

I wouldn't even take him for free.

I'm hoping Cholowski and Hronek become full time soon and phase out Jensen and XO. It's time to move on from the bad and look forward to the good. 

Edited by kickazz

4 minutes ago, kickazz said:

I'm sure someone considers him. I just don't want him anywhere near a team that's rebuilding and going for guys like Dahlin and has guys like Hronek, Cholowski knocking on the door step. And currently Kronwall, Ericsson, Daley and DK already on contracts. 

I wouldn't even take him for free.

I'm hoping Cholowski and Hronek become full time soon and phase out Jensen and XO. It's time to move on from the bad and look forward to the good. 

Agreed. At this point I want either young kids with upside, or vets that can help the young kids with upside. Young players who are ok that appear to have hit their ceiling are guys I am not really that interested in.

I may want to keep one of XO/Jensen because you need to have healthy scratches, but they would do better elsewhere on a team that may need a slight upgrade on their 3rd pairing. 

I wouldn't lump Jensen and Ouellet together. Ouellet sucks. Jensen is a perfect 3rd pairing defenseman. Smart player, good mobility, good first pass. As long as we can re-sign him again on a relatively cheap contract, I'd keep him around. He's been playing great the past few games, eating a ton of minutes.

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I wouldn't lump Jensen and Ouellet together. Ouellet sucks. Jensen is a perfect 3rd pairing defenseman. Smart player, good mobility, good first pass. As long as we can re-sign him again on a relatively cheap contract, I'd keep him around. He's been playing great the past few games, eating a ton of minutes.

Could care less if we sign him or not right now. If he wants basement price, great. Anything more and he can go pound sand.

6 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Could care less if we sign him or not right now. If he wants basement price, great. Anything more and he can go pound sand.

I agree. Not saying he's a key to this team's future success, but for now I like him as a 3rd pair guy. Ouellet on the other hand sucks. I'd have no problem waiving or trading him for peanuts.

Just now, Jonas Mahonas said:

If he is, it's equally embarassing for you tho.  You are playing a dangerous game by being Smith's voodoo doll.

Aint embarassig for me. NYR proved my point already. Smith can only get better now if he finally gets his s*** together. And that’s not impossible for a human.