• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

2019-20 Prospects Thread

Rate this topic

53 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Thats a lot of righties on D. 

Yup, if even half of them become players, we could have some nice trade chips on our hands...

55 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

This team could beat the current Wings roster.

That's been a running joke for the past few seasons. The Griffins could beat the Red Wings hurr durr...

This season it may actually be somewhat accurate though. I still think the Red Wings would win a 7 game series, but the Griffins would definitely win a game or two...

3 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Wait, you guys are being serious?  Lol.  Even the best iteration of the Griffins would be mauled by the worst NHL team. 

Idk, that Griffins D is looking nicer than ours. The McHicketts pairing has been super underrated. Those two work really nice together. Id have no problem with them as our NHL 3rd pair. And Big Dylan can punch faces as a fun bonus. Lashoff and Seider pairing could easily run the NHL. Lashoff just has to sit back and play the Marc Methot role, which I think he could do with Seider shouldering him. Normally id agree with you, but our pizza financiers are intentionally tanking the Wings now. Keeping better players off the roster. Worth mentioning that Yzerman is pretty bad at assessing Dmen too. He inherited Hedman. Gambled and got lucky on Stralman. Sold low on Gudas. Actually purposefully signed Carle and Girardi lol. Cernak and Sergachev remain as question marks in my mind. 

10 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Idk, that Griffins D is looking nicer than ours. The McHicketts pairing has been super underrated. Those two work really nice together. Id have no problem with them as our NHL 3rd pair. And Big Dylan can punch faces as a fun bonus. Lashoff and Seider pairing could easily run the NHL. Lashoff just has to sit back and play the Marc Methot role, which I think he could do with Seider shouldering him. Normally id agree with you, but our pizza financiers are intentionally tanking the Wings now. Keeping better players off the roster. Worth mentioning that Yzerman is pretty bad at assessing Dmen too. He inherited Hedman. Gambled and got lucky on Stralman. Sold low on Gudas. Actually purposefully signed Carle and Girardi lol. Cernak and Sergachev remain as question marks in my mind. 

All valid points. Doesn't mean the Griffs would win a game.  Against an AHL team, the Red Wings would just play AA-Larkin-Mantha, Hronek-DK like 30 minutes a game and win 75-1.  It would be a blood bath.  There's not a single player on the Griffins team that could do a single thing with Anthony Mantha.  Hence why they're all still playing for the Grand Rapids Griffins.

Edit:  All of the best players in the AHL each season are guys who can't even crack NHL rosters.  Wade Megan led the league in scoring a couple years ago and couldn't touch an NHL roster.  Martin Frk and Teemu Pulkkinen were superstars in the AHL and blow in the NHL.  It's a whole different game. 

Edited by kipwinger

45 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Wait, you guys are being serious?  Lol.  Even the best iteration of the Griffins would be mauled by the worst NHL team. 

21 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

All valid points. Doesn't mean the Griffs would win a game.  Against an AHL team, the Red Wings would just play AA-Larkin-Mantha, Hronek-DK like 30 minutes a game and win 75-1.  It would be a blood bath.  There's not a single player on the Griffins team that could do a single thing with Anthony Mantha.  Hence why they're all still playing for the Grand Rapids Griffins.

Edit:  All of the best players in the AHL each season are guys who can't even crack NHL rosters.  Wade Megan led the league in scoring a couple years ago and couldn't touch an NHL roster.  Martin Frk and Teemu Pulkkinen were superstars in the AHL and blow in the NHL.  It's a whole different game. 

Well seeming how the Red Wings are the worst NHL team currently "on paper", and the Griffins are one of the better AHL teams "on paper", I think it would be a little closer than you make it seem... 

Also, the Griffins have several players that could and would crack the Red Wings if they were assembling a team to *win now*.

The Red Wings obviously have the upper hand because they have 5 or 6 players that are better than any player on the Griffins at this point in their careers. But Rasmussen, Veleno, Zadina, Svechnikov and Seider (I know you'll disagree with this) may be better than every other player outside of those 5 or 6 right now.

No, the Red Wings would not beat the Griffins 75-1, and yes it is very possible that the Griffins would beat them in a game. Maybe it would take more games than a best of 7, but if they played 10, I think the Griffins could definitely pull out one W...

48 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I would counter by playing Seider 40 min. Nuff said.

Flyers just had a train run on em by HC Luassane. And theyre a lot better than us. And offhand i think Luassane is worse than Griffs.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Well seeming how the Red Wings are the worst NHL team currently "on paper", and the Griffins are one of the better AHL teams "on paper", I think it would be a little closer than you make it seem... 

Also, the Griffins have several players that could and would crack the Red Wings if they were assembling a team to *win now*.

The Red Wings obviously have the upper hand because they have 5 or 6 players that are better than any player on the Griffins at this point in their careers. But Rasmussen, Veleno, Zadina, Svechnikov and Seider (I know you'll disagree with this) may be better than every other player outside of those 5 or 6 right now.

No, the Red Wings would not beat the Griffins 75-1, and yes it is very possible that the Griffins would beat them in a game. Maybe it would take more games than a best of 7, but if they played 10, I think the Griffins could definitely pull out one W...

So their top five or six players are significantly worse than the Red Wings top five or six players and somehow you think they'll win? 

Imagine this, if the Red Wings played another NHL team who had five or six players who were better than anyone we had what do you think our chances of winning would be?

4 hours ago, kipwinger said:

I was half serious. As CRL pointed out, a Swiss League team with less talent than GR just beat an NHL team, so yeah, it would be possible. A 1 in 10 chance maybe. Good teams get beaten by bad teams all the time, that's why even the best team doesnt go 82-0. And bad teams beat teams who are better than they are which is why even the worst teams never go 0-82. If the Griffins were in the NHL they would be a bottom feeder for sure, but they wouldnt lose every game. There would be some nights they beat better competition. Thats how sports work. Otherwise no one would bother to watch.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

8 hours ago, kipwinger said:

So their top five or six players are significantly worse than the Red Wings top five or six players and somehow you think they'll win? 

Imagine this, if the Red Wings played another NHL team who had five or six players who were better than anyone we had what do you think our chances of winning would be?

Yes I do think they could win a game or two in a 7 game series.

I'm shocked at how shocked you are that people think it's possible for a worse team to beat a better team in a game of hockey. It literally happens all - the - time... That is, after all, why the games are played on ice, not paper...

Like @ChristopherReevesLegs mentioned, the Philadelphia Flyers dressed a full roster in their final pre-season game against Lausanne HC, that featured stars such as Dustin Jeffrey, Cory Emmerton and Jonas Junland... Do you not think that the Flyers have 5 or 6 players better than any of those scrubs? The entire Flyers team is likely better than anyone on that Lausanne HC team, but yet they still managed to win the game 4-3...

One of the biggest upsets in the history of the Stanley Cup Playoffs was in 2006 when the Oilers took down the juggernaut Red Wings in six games... That team was lead by veterans Steve Yzerman, Brendan Shanahan, Robert Lang, Tomas Holmstrom, Nicklas Lidstrom, and Mathieu Schneider, and also had Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg, Johan Franzen and Niklas Kronwall all in the prime of their careers. The Oilers had a few decent players in Ryan Smyth, Shawn Horcoff, Jarret Stoll, Ales Hemsky, Sergei Samsonov, a possessed Fernando Pisani and Chris Pronger.

6 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I was half serious. As CRL pointed out, a Swiss League team with less talent than GR just beat an NHL team, so yeah, it would be possible. A 1 in 10 chance maybe. Good teams get beaten by bad teams all the time, that's why even the best team doesnt go 82-0. And bad teams beat teams who are better than they are which is why even the worst teams never go 0-82. If the Griffins were in the NHL they would be a bottom feeder for sure, but they wouldnt lose every game. There would be some nights they beat better competition. Thats how sports work. Otherwise no one would bother to watch.

Also, this. ^

8 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

With respect to the Swiss League team: I don't think a bunch of NHLers half-assing it to avoid injury and ruin their multi-million dollar career in a meaningless game is an indication of the actual skill disparity between the two teams. 

With respect to the rest: You're comparing NHL teams to other NHL teams, which is kinda my point.  Even a bad NHL team can occasionally beat a good one, so imagine what a bad NHL team would do to a bunch of AHLers?

Dylan Larkin scores 40 points a period against AHL goalies.  Fact.

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Yes I do think they could win a game or two in a 7 game series.

I'm shocked at how shocked you are that people think it's possible for a worse team to beat a better team in a game of hockey. It literally happens all - the - time... That is, after all, why the games are played on ice, not paper...

Like @ChristopherReevesLegs mentioned, the Philadelphia Flyers dressed a full roster in their final pre-season game against Lausanne HC, that featured stars such as Dustin Jeffrey, Cory Emmerton and Jonas Junland... Do you not think that the Flyers have 5 or 6 players better than any of those scrubs? The entire Flyers team is likely better than anyone on that Lausanne HC team, but yet they still managed to win the game 4-3...

One of the biggest upsets in the history of the Stanley Cup Playoffs was in 2006 when the Oilers took down the juggernaut Red Wings in six games... That team was lead by veterans Steve Yzerman, Brendan Shanahan, Robert Lang, Tomas Holmstrom, Nicklas Lidstrom, and Mathieu Schneider, and also had Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg, Johan Franzen and Niklas Kronwall all in the prime of their careers. The Oilers had a few decent players in Ryan Smyth, Shawn Horcoff, Jarret Stoll, Ales Hemsky, Sergei Samsonov, a possessed Fernando Pisani and Chris Pronger.

See above.

4 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

With respect to the Swiss League team: I don't think a bunch of NHLers half-assing it to avoid injury and ruin their multi-million dollar career in a meaningless game is an indication of the actual skill disparity between the two teams. 

With respect to the rest: You're comparing NHL teams to other NHL teams, which is kinda my point.  Even a bad NHL team can occasionally beat a good one, so imagine what a bad NHL team would do to a bunch of AHLers?

Dylan Larkin scores 40 points a period against AHL goalies.  Fact.

See above.

So you think it's impossible for any AHL team to beat any NHL team ever... Got it...

The bolded is as much a fact as the rest of the drivel you're spewing...

I guarantee an AHL team would be able to completely shut down Larkin in a game (0 points). "Fact".

12 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

To be fair in the Swiss/Flyers game the Flyers goalie got chased and pulled quickly. After that I think the Flyers held their scorers off.

Great point, which further illustrates how dumb it is to think that NHL players can never have an off night and lose to lesser competition. The exact same thing that happened to Hart against Lausanne can happen to Howard, or any NHL goalie against any AHL team.

4 hours ago, Akakabuto said:

I just can't make the switch to that place. They pat their own backs like their a premier hockey think tank or something.

November/December of last year I - in a few more words - let them know how overrated Zadina is and it pissed a lot of people off lol. Now they all seem to be much more receptive of the view point. Figures. I'm gonna go dig up my olds posts and rub it in their face later. If anyone wants to see the HF hive get rocks thrown at it and me get stung by a swarm of angry bees later it should be a good time. Bring a beer.

Lets say an average NHL season for an average team is like 40 wins. Translation factor for an AHL player in 2018 was 0.48. Lets just assume that means the AHL is like half the league the NHL is. So maybe a good AHL team would get like 20 wins in an NHL season?

51 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I just can't make the switch to that place. They pat their own backs like their a premier hockey think tank or something.

November/December of last year I - in a few more words - let them know how overrated Zadina is and it pissed a lot of people off lol. Now they all seem to be much more receptive of the view point. Figures. I'm gonna go dig up my olds posts and rub it in their face later. If anyone wants to see the HF hive get rocks thrown at it and me get stung by a swarm of angry bees later it should be a good time. Bring a beer.

It’s a good source for news, but that’s about it. Also too many leafs fans on that place. Every ******* thread ends up being about Toronto. 

5 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Lets say an average NHL season for an average team is like 40 wins. Translation factor for an AHL player in 2018 was 0.48. Lets just assume that means the AHL is like half the league the NHL is. So maybe a good AHL team would get like 20 wins in an NHL season?

Similar to what I was thinking about...

Looking at last season's standings, let's say the last place team in the NHL (Ottawa Senators) were relegated to the AHL, and the Calder Cup Champions (Charlotte Checkers) were promoted to the NHL. According to @kipwinger, the Sens would go 76-0-0 and win every game by 50+ goals, and the Checkers would go 0-0-82 and lose every game by 50+ goals. Ridiculous... I think the Sens would win a lot of games in the AHL this season, but they would for sure lose a few as well. Same goes for the Checkers in the NHL. They would lose a lot of games in the NHL, but would definitely win a scattered game...

12 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

It’s a good source for news, but that’s about it. Also too many leafs fans on that place. Every ******* thread ends up being about Toronto. 

If you ever see me over there, I like to be a complete turd burger on that board. It's the persona I'm cultivating, and is in no way reflective of my role on this team.

There's some good discussion and very knowledgeable people. I first learned of Seider on a tip from a poster there. So credit where credit is due.