• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

2019-20 Prospects Thread

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Does Darren Helm count as a "change of scenery" player? Asking for a friend.

What else is Vancouver going to throw in to make that trade work though?  I mean, if we're trading the demonstrably better player I want a quality return.

31 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

AND he's a right shot.  I'm sure you'd be beside yourself lol.

No, I wouldn't. He's another pissy pants loser who can't earn a spot on a wide open roster. 

I would, yup. This team NEEDS more right-handed threats up front.

2 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

What else is Vancouver going to throw in to make that trade work though?  I mean, if we're trading the demonstrably better player I want a quality return.

This is just dumb. Not only Virtanen a better player than Helm, he's nearly 10 years younger. I'd trade Helm and a pick for Virtanen.

Just now, krsmith17 said:

I would, yup. This team NEEDS more right-handed threats up front.

Wouldn't he actually have to be a good player to count as a "threat"?  Or will any right handed shooter do?  He currently scores about as often as Luke Glendening. 

6 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Wouldn't he actually have to be a good player to count as a "threat"?  Or will any right handed shooter do?  He currently scores about as often as Luke Glendening. 

23 years old. How would you feel about Svechnikov potting 15 this coming season? Most would be thrilled with that sort of production from a middle six winger. You? Nah...

Edited by krsmith17

14 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

23 years old. How would you feel about Svechnikov potting 15 this coming season? Most would be thrilled with that sort of production from a middle six winger. You? Nah...

Did Svechnikov pot 15 despite noticeable lapses in his defensive play, then come to camp out of shape, get bumped down the roster, and then eventually offered around the league because he needed a "change of scenery"?  Because in that case, no I wouldn't want him either. 

17 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Did Svechnikov pot 15 despite noticeable lapses in his defensive play, then come to camp out of shape, get bumped down the roster, and then eventually offered around the league because he needed a "change of scenery"?  Because in that case, no I wouldn't want him either. 

I'd take a gamble on him depending on the cost. Helm and a pick? In a heartbeat. Anything more, probably not.

I'm gonna go ahead and treat any Wings-Virtanen talk as moot. Reasons:

1. Yzerman wants soldiers who give their all at all times. That would seem to rule out Virtanen as a desirable.
  2. We don't really have any "change of scenery" players, unless you want to count, like, Svechnikov. But by all accounts Svechnikov is the kind of good soldier Yzerman wants.
  3. Yzerman's already added a Virtanen-esque player in Erne. Virtanen has the sexier draft pedigree, but I dunno that he's clearly the better player. Last season Erne put up 20 points through 65 games while Virtanen put up 25 points through 70 games. *shrug*

32 minutes ago, Dabura said:

1. Yzerman wants soldiers who give their all at all times. That would seem to rule out Virtanen as a desirable.
  2. We don't really have any "change of scenery" players, unless you want to count, like, Svechnikov. But by all accounts Svechnikov is the kind of good soldier Yzerman wants.
  3. Yzerman's already added a Virtanen-esque player in Erne. Virtanen has the sexier draft pedigree, but I dunno that he's clearly the better player. Last season Erne put up 20 points through 65 games while Virtanen put up 25 points through 70 games. *shrug*

I don't disagree with any of this. Virtanen won't be a Red Wing. Some team will pick him up though, if he is even on the trade block. It may work out. It may not. I just think it would be worth the gamble, assuming the cost is relatively low...

34 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I’d be interested in a gamble like puljujarvi but At this point I’d rather stick with our guys and see what we have 

I think Svechnikov is capable of putting in 15-20 depending on his linemates, he had a ton of upside when we drafted him and he’s been really unlucky with injuries so if he’s put that behind him he can put himself again as an important future piece for the redwings, we just have to find a way to dump some bodies 

If the second line was Athanasiou filppula Svechnikov with some ppl time I can see him netting 15-20 , anyways we should probably be giving our own guys more chances to succeed 

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

Veleno's name appears in this article FOURTEEN times. ...but it's a Regner article so...yeah...

https://www.nhl.com/redwings/news/notes-red-wings-getting-ready-to-finalize-fluid-23-man-roster/c-309530826

VELENO TAKES IT ALL IN: In five preseason games thus far, Red Wings rookie center Joe Veleno has not scored a goal, has doled out three assists and is minus-2 with six penalty minutes.

Yet the 6-foot-1, 198 pound 19-year-old has savored every minute being in Red Wings uniform.

"It's been really fun, I'm enjoying it a lot playing with different players and playing against some of the best players in the league, so I'm really enjoying it," Veleno said after Friday's morning skate.

In preseason games against the Blackhawks and Blues, the first-year pro had to go up against Jonathan Toews and Ryan O'Reilly, a difficult task but a tremendous learning experience.

"Just the little details, being on the defensive side of them, seeing how much skill they have, how elite they are with the puck and without the puck," Veleno said when asked to elaborate on what he's picked up playing against Toews and O'Reilly. "The little things they do well gives them the opportunity offensively and obviously learning from the best playing against them, being on the same ice with them is a real treat to see."

Since being drafted by the Wings in the first round, 30th overall, in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft, Veleno has been extremely diligent about developing a 200-foot game.

"I think I got a lot better at that, the player development guys (Shawn Horcoff and Dan Cleary) this year really hassled on me for that to become a 200-foot player, being good on the defensive side of the puck," Veleno said. "In my game now I've noticed that a lot, being that 200-foot player creating offense and being good defensively."

It was difficult at first to transition to a 200-foot game for Veleno, especially after a very good training camp with the Red Wings in 2018. Before being sent back to his junior team in Drummondville, he played in a few preseason games and didn't look out of place.

"In juniors, at the start of the year when I first got back (last season), I was cheating a lot on offense, I really wanted to put up points, but I felt it wasn't working so well," Veleno said. "So, I focused a lot on defense that actually led to more offense for me and just the type of game I play, my work ethic and my speed are my two biggest attributes so without that I don't have as much success."

Blashill has been encouraged with Veleno's development.

"I think he's had a strong camp. He's a way better player today than he was a year ago. I think the one thing Joe is learning is it's a relentless league, it's an every-night league," Blashill said. "I think his first game against the Islanders when he was facing a real tough lineup and he was the guy … (he) wasn't ready for it in the first at all. To (his) credit, after we talked about it after the first, (he) was way better.

"In junior, when your skill set is generally better than the guys you're playing by the time you're an older player and if you're 50 percent of your best you're still one of the better players on the ice. In the NHL if you're not 100 percent close to capacity, you get eaten alive. So it's just consistency and he's learning that, but that's a learned process. I've been real impressed with his approach and real impressed with his play."

Veleno's work ethic and the way he embraces what he is being taught has put him on the fast track to the NHL.

"Joe and I talked this summer and I told him the quickest way to get to the National Hockey League is be a guy that the coaches trust. He had that same message last year," Blashill said. "I know Steve Hartley, his coach in junior last year, did a real good job with him. I know he's worked with Horc (Horcoff) and our development crew and I think he's making a concerted effort to be a really good two-way centerman.

"In the league it's really hard to be a successful team if you don't have really good two-way centerman, it's super-hard to play in the league if you're a centerman and you're not good defensively. We played against one of the better ones last night (Thursday) in O'Reilly. I think Joe has done a pretty good job of that."

Whether he makes the Wings this coming week or not, Veleno will take this experience to make himself a better player and person. He has absorbed a lot in a short period of time being around the veteran Red Wings.

"(Watching) the older guys and see what they do and seeing all the little things they do well, what it takes to be a pro on and off the ice. Seeing it day-by-day I'm learning," Veleno said. "I'm becoming a better player, I'm becoming a better person, these guys really lead the way with that."

Someday soon, Veleno will no longer be learning, he'll be leading and he's proving it already.

I dunno if Rasmussen, Svech, or Veleno are the first forward called up when the injury bug inevitably bites, but I think he's done a good job of making his case this camp/pre-season.

Terry, Elson, Lashoff, Pickard, Hicketts, Puempel, Turgeon, and McIlrath put on waivers...according to capfriendly.

No huge surprises here. Hope Pickard doesn't get poached.

https://www.capfriendly.com/transactions/waivers

Hmmm...TML put Schmaltz on waivers. Not like the Wings need another bubble RHD, but the kid may be worth a cheap look.

Just ordered the AHL package for the season to go along with the NHL package... I never miss a Wings game, and that may be the case (or close to it) for the Griffins this season...

Stacked with prospects, Rasmussen, Veleno, Zadina, Svechnikov, Kuffner, Smith, Pearson, Turgeon, Seider, Kaski, Lindstrom, Larsson...

It may be a painful season in Detroit, but should be a fun season in Grand Rapids...

3 minutes ago, TLGTrico said:

So I took a look at capfriendly, and are Chase Pearson and Jared McIsaac seriously still up?

Yeah, Pearson is, but will likely be sent down before Tuesday, unless they decide to waive Ehn or de la Rose instead... McIsaac is still injured and will likely miss the first couple months of the season. So technically, he hasn't been sent back to Halifax yet, but will definitely be back there for another season, once he finally gets healthy...

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Just ordered the AHL package for the season to go along with the NHL package... I never miss a Wings game, and that may be the case (or close to it) for the Griffins this season...

Stacked with prospects, Rasmussen, Veleno, Zadina, Svechnikov, Kuffner, Smith, Pearson, Turgeon, Seider, Kaski, Lindstrom, Larsson...

It may be a painful season in Detroit, but should be a fun season in Grand Rapids...

So what does the Griffin's roster look like? Be straight with me. No fantasy s*** ya fuker :lol:

5 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Can they hand out Norris trophies in the AHL? Respect to Yzerman trying to stack GR (what ever purpose that serves) but he's a Holland brain double. This rebuild just got extended by a year and Seider's abilities/development just took a big hit. 

8 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

So what does the Griffin's roster look like? Be straight with me. No fantasy s*** ya fuker :lol:

Fantasy s***? I can tell you what "I think" the Griffins lineup *should* look like...
If I were Ben Simon, I'd roll something like this...

Zadina - Veleno - Terry
Svechnikov - Rasmussen - Puempel
Kuffner - Turgeon - Lukosevicius
Elson - Pearson - Smith
Ford / Shine / Pope / MacLeod

Lashoff - Seider
Kaski - Lindstrom
Hicketts - McIlrath
Saarijarvi / McCrea

Pickard
Larsson (hopefully he steals the starting role)

5 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Can they hand out Norris trophies in the AHL? Respect to Yzerman trying to stack GR (what ever purpose that serves) but he's a Holland brain double. This rebuild just got extended by a year and Seider's abilities/development just took a big hit. 

There's just too big of a log jam of mediocre players on bad contracts on the big club right now. I expect much of that to be resolved in the next calendar year though, be it by trade or contracts expiring. We should be looking one more year until this team starts trying to turn things around. We don't want our top prospects playing in a losing environment every night. Playing in Grand Rapids allows them an opportunity to play in a winning environment, while also gaining chemistry playing together.

I don't see these moves extending the rebuild at all. If anything, it may speed things up by possibly getting a higher draft pick next June in a(nother) huge draft for this team. Hopefully we can make a trade or two at the deadline that will get us another mid 1st round pick...

8 hours ago, solarion said:

They have a ummm...website bruh.

https://griffinshockey.com/team/roster

Not sure who this Lashoff character is though. Looks a bit like KFQ as a caveman. heh

I was asking abut line combos, sock boy.

21 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Fantasy s***? I can tell you what "I think" the Griffins lineup *should* look like...
If I were Ben Simon, I'd roll something like this...

Zadina - Veleno - Terry
Svechnikov - Rasmussen - Puempel
Kuffner - Turgeon - Lukosevicius
Elson - Pearson - Smith
Ford / Shine / Pope / MacLeod

Lashoff - Seider
Kaski - Lindstrom
Hicketts - McIlrath
Saarijarvi / McCrea

Pickard
Larsson (hopefully he steals the starting role)

By fantasy I meant this. Mostly j/k. But jesus I didn't realize how thin they are for vets up the middle. One of Veleno or Rasmussen def going to center that top line. Cool. 

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

2 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I was asking abut line combos, sock boy.

By fantasy I meant this. Mostly j/k. But jesus I didn't realize how thin they are for vets up the middle. One of Veleno or Rasmussen def going to center that top line. Cool. 

You think Veleno being the 1C in Grand Rapids is a "Fantasy"? Why? Sure, it could go to Rasmussen, but as you know, I (most Wings fans) see Veleno as the better center now, and in the future...

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

You think Veleno being the 1C in Grand Rapids is a "Fantasy"? Why? Sure, it could go to Rasmussen, but as you know, I (most Wings fans) see Veleno as the better center now, and in the future...

Like I said, I was mostly kidding. But I figured if they had a solid vet option it wouldn't hurt to ease him in. The AHL is no joke league, as you know, and now we're expecting a 19 year old to shoulder 1C duties right out of camp. 

4 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Like I said, I was mostly kidding. But I figured if they had a solid vet option it wouldn't hurt to ease him in. The AHL is no joke league, as you know, and now we're expecting a 19 year old to shoulder 1C duties right out of camp. 

Yeah, I hear ya, and I know you're not as high on Veleno as myself, but I do think he's more than capable of handling it. Having a veteran winger (Terry / Puempel) on each of the top two lines, I think is important though, to shoulder some of the load offensively and defensively.

It may be another slow start for the Griffins again this season, but once they start geling, I expect them to be one of the top teams in the league...