• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ely s

2021 Draft

Rate this topic

31 minutes ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Another Jan Bednar in the 4th is just blindly throwing darts at a board

This is the strategy I prefer, going into most drafts, because as I mentioned above, I just don't value elite goaltending as much as I value elite centers and defensemen. However, as I've also mentioned, with all of the uncertainty in this upcoming draft, I'd be completely fine if Yzerman doesn't see any elite talent outside of Wallstedt at 6th overall, and swings on the goaltender. I don't buy this being an extremely weak draft. It's just an extremely under-scouted draft, due to lack of playing time for a lot of the kids.

My concern with taking Wallstedt as 6th overall isn't that he might not pan out. I think he will pan out. My concern is that he pans out to be an elite top 3 goalie in the league, and we have to pay him over $10M per long-term. I personally don't ever want to pay a goaltender that much money. Again, matter of building philosophy more than anything.

In short, Wallstedt wouldn't be my first pick, but I wouldn't be as mad as some will (or I would in any other draft), if we take a goaltender that high...

Yeah. It seemed to me like Twanger #1 spoke with authority like he knew Petruzelli was leaving even though he's been right about something maybe twice in the however many years he's been torturing us with his posts here. And then Twanger #2 echoed his false claim like it was fact. Cause it's fun to be an anti-fan. 

ANYHOOPs. 100% agree with this 

19 minutes ago, BarkBurgerman said:

My point is more or less I'd like to get a decent goalie in the system NOWish. We got Osgood in with a 3rd in 1991, then Mrazek in with a 5th 19 years later. It might be another 10 years before we draft another starter with the whole rounds 3-7 strategy. Whether it's 6th overall or a 2nd I really don't care, I'd just like to see some effort and progress on that front.

So yeah it may be a none issue and Petru may be just another Larsson or something. But that's all the more reason we get a decent freaking young goalie in here while the rebuilding window is still open.

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

4 minutes ago, Hookersarethefuture said:

If he wanted to sign here he’d have done it by now ... i don’t buy these stories , anyone who believes them just want to believe in fairtytales . I believe he sees an opportunity in boston and wants to go back home . Only other thing i can see is he wants to see if we draft the goalie before making his decision and if hes that type of player i want nothing to do with him 

We got burned with larsson(thinking hed be our future #1) i dont think we should take the risk . Taking a goalie now assures he’ll be ready when the teams ready 

Twanger #1

Yzerman said he'll sign next year. So there's no "story" there. The only "stories" I'm seeing around here are people going to great lengths to convince the rest of us that Petruzelli's jumping ship. 

Again. Don't really care what he does. Just stop making s*** up. 

2 minutes ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Ah yes just a coincidence that Boston's two goaltenders are 34 and 36 and are both UFA's, and the agent who likes to pull the college UFA scam is from Boston, and Don Sweeney is a former client of his, and Petruzzelli is from Boston and 1 month away from becoming a college UFA.

5 years for a CIVIL engineering degree lol what a joke

Oh. You confirmed his agent? 

2 minutes ago, Hookersarethefuture said:

Yzerman just lets his agents calls go straight to the answering machine

Apparently yzerman the guy everyone says you never know what hes thinking said keith wants to go back to school and its 100% truth 

kids believe everything these days

Yzerman is coy for sure. But he's not a factual liar. 

1 minute ago, Hookersarethefuture said:

Well he’s not gonna say contract talks are going nowhere at this time  , needs to get the media off his back . Could have easily talked to his agents prior and agreed to just say that to people off theyre backs for the moment

If he wanted to sign with detroit he would have by now i dont by the stories its either boston or he wants to see if we draft wallstedt before deciding and if thats the case he can take a hike . If we pass on the goalie it wouldnt surprise me if keith “coincidentally” decided to sign right after the draft is done 

Either way draft is a month away and before you know it all our questions shall be answered

You think this kid has been putting his career on hold for half a year just waiting to see who Yzerman drafts this July? 

2 minutes ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Alright boys, I went through the entire Quinnipiac Commencement book online. It's true. Keith did not graduate this year. So he could be returning to school. But his BETTER and SMARTER twin brother DJ Petruzzelli did graduate with a BS in Business in the timely and expected 4 years. Congratulations DJ!

Now there will be a window between August 15th and when school starts that Keith will be a free agent and Sweeney can call him as much as he wants. Hope he doesn't flip flop on Yzerman...

Don't care how smart he is. If his name is DJ, he's doomed. 

4 minutes ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Alright boys, I went through the entire Quinnipiac Commencement book online. It's true. Keith did not graduate this year. So he could be returning to school. But his BETTER and SMARTER twin brother DJ Petruzzelli did graduate with a BS in Business in the timely and expected 4 years. Congratulations DJ!

Now there will be a window between August 15th and when school starts that Keith will be a free agent and Sweeney can call him as much as he wants. Hope he doesn't flip flop on Yzerman...

It's true, if I'm Petruzzelli I'm waiting to see. If Detroit takes Wallstud, no biggie just wait till August 15th and field offers from other teams. It's not secret he's a Boston fan.

Makes no sense. Overage, unproven goalie is going to let the start of his career hinge on whether or not the Wings draft another goalie who is most likely 3 years away from playing in the NHL. 

2 minutes ago, Hookersarethefuture said:

How is it far fetched?you think if he sees a highly touted goalie picked at 6 to be a star nhl goalie hes gonna be like cool whatever let me sign?Theres 32 #1 positions in the league its not a forward/defensemen we’re talking about

I could easily see that being a factor ... sign where a goalie who just got drafted to be franchise goalie is or go with boston with rask being rumored to retire soon and going back home to your favourite team and where your family and friends are?

Wallstedt is likely ready for some nhl games in 2 years , petruzzelli wouldnt even play next season and after what happened with larsson i wouldnt evn say its a given he makes the league

Well from my understanding he can issue a 30 day notice mid-July announcing his intention to become a free agent. So we'll maybe know in 3 weeks. 

Just now, BarkBurgerman said:

Hell, I would wait until Aug 15th even if Detroit drafted zero goalies and didn't re-sign Bernier. Just smart for him to explore his options at this point. If no one calls - great, sign with Detroit or go back to school. But maybe Sweeney calls...?

But what are you really doing? Guessing. There's a good chance Detroit will be better than Boston in 3 years. Imagine leaving the team that drafted you, going home, and getting lit up in front of your townie aunt on Sunday, wishing you had Moritz out there watching your back. Imagine being John Tavares..........

19 hours ago, Hookersarethefuture said:

I think some ppl are delusional about us not being a bottom team next year and reading way too much into a season where everyone faced the same teams over and over and avoided 75% of the league.

Sure we dont have a ton of bad contracts on the team anymore (although im sure yzerman would add a few more for extra assets if he could) but we also dont have much scoring talent and much offense provided from the back end outside of hronek and now seider.

Yzerman knows how important the next few drafts are and im sure he’ll try and help our lottery odds as well as helping the team get better. I’ll definitely be watching to see seider and hoping zadina finally takes big step. I can also see yzerman possibly trading bertuzzi/vrana at some point to get another 1st + while also “unintentionally” making us lose a few more games

Also can see raymond/berggren being delayed and possibly veleno till the deadline but i do think things will start turning pretty fast  2 yrs from now

If we can get wallstedt at 8 and get another 2nd  as well and move 37 and another 2nd into the first round and somehow leave with wallstedt/robertsson and raty/morrow that would be a nice opening night

Yeah i'd be happy if we made those offers, Taking Wallstadt at 8th is fine just don't want him with the 6th pick. Getting Wallstadt and one of Robertson/Raty would be awesome.

17 hours ago, Hookersarethefuture said:

I dont know if mctavish is the guy i want to take a swing at with 6 , dont know if i trust his upside to be a #1 line guy . At 6 im  trying to go for a guy who i think can be a #1 line forward, 1st pair dman or #1 starting goalie

Will i be dissapointed if we take mctavish? Yes , but it doesnt mean i’ll hope he’s a bust. Right now as everyone knows i want the goalie and to just end our never ending goalie search. If we HAVE to go elsewhere for me its either hughes/clarke and then try and trade for a teams young goalie prospect before they emerge cause i cant see cossa available at 22

I hated the rasmussen pick the day it happened . I hoped i was wrong about him and i’ll hope im wrong if its mctavish or whomever we end up with that im not a fan of

In the lead-up to that draft, I made it clear that Rasmussen was the one guy I actively did not want us to take. Had a borderline meltdown on these boards when we took him. Had to talk myself off the ledge. My issue with Rasmussen was his ludicrous size and strength advantage over his peers. Watching highlight compilations, all you saw was him cleaning up around the net and firing shots. No high-level playmaking. No creativity. Because there was no need. Major junior was easy for him.

Like 2017 Rasmussen, McTavish has a size and strength advantage, and his game isn't particularly flashy, and he's definitely more a goal-scorer than he is a playmaker, and he's probably more a winger than he is a centerman, and his skating isn't great, and his defensive competence arguably is overstated by a lot of people.

So, yeah, I'm not super-high on McTavish. But I think he's a more dynamic player than 2017 Rasmussen; he can attack in a variety of ways, and he has a good natural sense of which way is the correct way in any given situation, and he'll lean into his path of attack and go HAM on it. I really like his competitiveness. I like his intensity. I like his relentlessness. He's a conventional alpha dog. I like that he's a goal-scorer. I like that he scored a lot of goals in his stint in a men's league.

Would I take him at 6OA? Maybe, maybe not.

I think he's a fit for the Wings in that we'd love to have a rugged power-forward with a lethal shot, even if he's not a full-time centerman. We've got a lot of pass-first playmakers in the system. We've got a lot of two-way guys. We've got a lot of good skaters. We've got a lot of smallish forwards. I like the thought of adding a tank whose o-zone game is more high-end Swiss Army knife than you might expect it to be, given his size and strength advantage. He can stomp around on the forecheck and cycle. His shot is good enough that he's probably going to be a legit threat to beat NHL goalies clean from anywhere below the tops of the circles. He's very good at putting himself in high-danger areas.

In a normal draft year, I figure I'd consider him a reach at 6OA. Not this year, though. Not this draft.

20 hours ago, Hookersarethefuture said:

I think some ppl are delusional about us not being a bottom team next year and reading way too much into a season where everyone faced the same teams over and over and avoided 75% of the league.

Sure we dont have a ton of bad contracts on the team anymore (although im sure yzerman would add a few more for extra assets if he could) but we also dont have much scoring talent and much offense provided from the back end outside of hronek and now seider.

Yzerman knows how important the next few drafts are and im sure he’ll try and help our lottery odds as well as helping the team get better. I’ll definitely be watching to see seider and hoping zadina finally takes big step. I can also see yzerman possibly trading bertuzzi/vrana at some point to get another 1st + while also “unintentionally” making us lose a few more games

Also can see raymond/berggren being delayed and possibly veleno till the deadline but i do think things will start turning pretty fast  2 yrs from now

If we can get wallstedt at 8 and get another 2nd  as well and move 37 and another 2nd into the first round and somehow leave with wallstedt/robertsson and raty/morrow that would be a nice opening night

I'm just saying if people are counting on bottom 3 finishes for at least two more years, that might not be how it plays out. The "Well, at least we know we're godawful and will be in the dead center of the mix for that 1OA pick" stage of our rebuild might already be over, regardless of what Yzerman does.

48 minutes ago, Hookersarethefuture said:

Maybe not 2 years but i definetly think were in the mix next year .Seattle better get out of our lol ... id be jumping on komarov for picks now and ladd for a 1st type moves before francis gets involved 

As for 2 years from now maybe we finish 5-6-7 th last? Maybe we finally get justice and win bedard or michkov. First things first and we set our sights on wright

I after the next two seasons we’ll be ready to make some noise around the league with seider having 2 years under his belt , raymond/berggren 1+ and whatever other moves yzerman does and god willing some of our prospects pan out and we get someone like a 6’7 soderblom coming in and shocking everyone at how we found another late pick. Sooner or later we’re bound to hit some guys

Was there an article saying thats the reason he fell that late or your just saying this?

Back then eastern europeans (part of the Soviet Bloc) weren't heavily scouted. Even then, can't miss prospects were generally considered a huge risk to draft because the likelihood they would ever reach North American soil was lower. As a result, even the best of prospects out of that part of the world, were drafted much later. Even after the fall of the Berlin Wall.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

9 hours ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Gonna hijack your McTavish comments.

I agree, and you're not wrong about Ras. Should've gone 12-16 probably. I wrote a few glowing reviews of him when he played for Spokane (it's pronounced Spo-kane-ee, not Spo-kane btw) but looking back I think you're right. The game was easy for him. Almost a similar scenario to Mantha. Why learn to move your feet or dangle or be generally creative when you can just brute force your way through everything with shear size, strength, and wingspan? I guess you can blame junior coaches for allowing them to continue down the path of least resistance?

That all said, I'd give Rasmussen the "most improved" award for 2020/21 Red Wings. He's still playing sheltered time, but he's not out their committing major errors and seems to work hard every shift. He's hitting, he's blocking shots. Much different in this respect from Mantha. I get the feeling he's going to take some time for us and won't peak for a few more seasons. But I still think that peak is prime Coyotes Martin Hanzal. 50-60 pt heavy center. And at 20/21 years old Ras was already Hanzal's height and weight. And Hanzal didn't hit his prime until he was about 26.

I sorta look the other way on Ras and his draft position because I'm a size queen and I adore the unique aspect he brings to the team. I almost look at him like a Holmstrom in that way. Sure you can fawn over Yzerman, Lidstrom, and Feds... but where are some of those old teams without unique dominant roleplayers like Holmstrom? Ras could be Homer and more for us in 2-3 years. I see him as a middle 6 forward that plays both the PP and PK and becomes a staple you can't really live without once he's embedded on the roster. Causing terror in front of opponents nets and freeing up the other guys around him to wreck offesnive havoc while also punishing opponents in the D end.

Big minute Ras and big minute Seider are gonna do great things for this team in the near future I think. They're gonna be the foundational pillars behind our more talented players.

Perfectly said you sonnofabish

13 hours ago, Hookersarethefuture said:

Was there an article saying thats the reason he fell that late or your just saying this?

I'm just saying it because I do remember the Petr Klima heist and also that is why the Russians were all drafted in later rounds, because you never knew if they would be able to leave. 

Bit after a few minutes of research, I found this from 2011

Dominik Hasek

It could be argued that Hasek was not so much a steal as he was a gamble. In 1983, Hasek’s home country of Czechoslovakia was under communist rule. It was believed that he would never be allowed to play in the North America, so most teams passed on him despite being rated near the top of just about everyone’s draft board.

Chicago decided to take a flier on him with the 207th pick.  

With the fall of communism throughout Europe, he was able to make the jump to the NHL. After 25 games in Chicago, he was traded to Buffalo, which is where he really took off. That trade also makes him the best trade steal of all time as well, but that is for another list.

By the end of his career, he would win six Vezinas, two Harts and two Stanley Cups. He is also on the short list in the discussion of greatest goalies of all time. Once he became a full-time starter, his worst season was only a 2.83 goals against average.

Despite not being allowed to even start his NHL career until seven years after being drafted and not becoming a starter until 10 years later, he was still able to make his mark in the record books.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/923060-9-late-round-draft-picks-who-became-goaltending-stars

Edited by LeftWinger

1 hour ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Like once we have assembled a young lineup of talented speedsters... we'll inventory check the lineup... and the first thing everyone will say is "boy now we could really use a monster powerforward for size and grit in front of the net"

I'm just glad that part is done already.

And it's a harder hole to fill then some think. Like the kind of player you sometimes burn a top 10ish or 10-20th 1st rounder on. So we're not far off as far as draft value goes. IMO

Edited by The 91 of Ryans